Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Audi Field to Host Washington DC Defenders XFL Team in 2020

Ron78

What Will You Do To Support the XFL Franchise in DC?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. What Will You Do To Support the XFL Franchise in DC?

• Attend games at Audi Field
    • Watch games at home or in sports bars
    • I will not support this team

2 minutes ago, clietas said:

ABC n Fox like todays? Thought one tomorrow was on ESPN? Might have break down and get a sling or YouTube sub eventually. 

ABC

Fox

ESPN

FS1

1 game on FS2 it looks like.

1 game on ESPN 2 it looks like.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

ABC

Fox

ESPN

FS1

1 game on FS2 it looks like.

1 game on ESPN 2 it looks like.

AAF had its games on cable as well, getting put on a screen wasn't a problem for them. Not being on free broadcast TV as the AAF's problem imo. Sports need visibility, especially ones as expensive as football. The reason the NFL is sports king in America is because they have it on broadcast. Losing open broadcasting time hurts a lot of sports' popularity. Nascar moved away from it and has pretty much died for it, baseball is a shell of what it used to be because so few games are on TV.... XFL will thrive as long as they keep people's attention, and it's infinitely easier to do when it isn't behind a subscription service.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hail2skins said:

Just looking at the stands, it looks to me like a 75 percent crowd at best in a 20K stadium. Not bad, but...…..

It was a great atmosphere at the game. Audi Field is perfect for this. Here are a few shots of the crowd.... I wish I had taken them about 5 minutes earlier as these were with 5 seconds left in the first half and people were going to get concessions/restroom etc...20200208_152842.thumb.jpg.e7bfeff77fa8dd7b4d0efec2bd4a4078.jpg20200208_150154.thumb.jpg.c43dec37904f63de9cda4c76b2794b37.jpg20200208_150156.thumb.jpg.ab3b261b8fcfc929cb5cce205f524188.jpg

Edited by YoungTheShow1984
  • Like 8

I’m gonna need that hoodie Pep Hamilton was wearing. 

Certainly some things to iron out, but this was a good product out there today. Jones looks good (especially in those scramble drill plays) and the defense was up to the challenge. 

Plus it was at the expense of Zorn. 

The XFL2 debut yesterday got me curious about the USFL here.  The Washington Federals started playing here in 1983 at RFK, roughly a month after John Riggins on 4th and 1 in Pasadena. They drew 38K in their first home game, but attendance plummeted soon after as the team was losing, and moved to Orlando after two seasons. What that means to the present...….I have no idea. I think its easy for us to get caught up in it again, given we have a team in DC, but I do remember an initial excitement for the AAF last year as well. As others have said, the TV presence will help, but I will be curious to see how long the novelty lasts:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orlando_Renegades

58 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

The XFL2 debut yesterday got me curious about the USFL here.  The Washington Federals started playing here in 1983 at RFK, roughly a month after John Riggins on 4th and 1 in Pasadena. They drew 38K in their first home game, but attendance plummeted soon after as the team was losing, and moved to Orlando after two seasons. What that means to the present...….I have no idea. I think its easy for us to get caught up in it again, given we have a team in DC, but I do remember an initial excitement for the AAF last year as well. As others have said, the TV presence will help, but I will be curious to see how long the novelty lasts:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orlando_Renegades

I don’t think it’s wrong to be pessimistic. But everything about it seemed like it was done right. Given the presence of tv and social media, people are attending sporting events less and less. 

Yet somehow leagues like the AHL survive (of course, they’re backed by the NHL... but XFL is backed by the WWE...)

my hope is that everyone gives the league a real chance. It’s a great spot for UDFAs who go unsigned, coaches to break in, etc. 

And the product is better than the AAF. The rules allow for more scoring and production. I liked the AAF too... because it was football. But not being televised all the time + the quarterback play being rough sunk it. 

So far, this league seems very different. We will see.

The kickoff is outstanding, though.

1 minute ago, TK said:

Has any team attempted that double forward pass yet?

The double forward pass has to be completed and thrown behind the LoS from what I’ve seen. 

Yesterday I’m pretty sure the Zornys tried a shovel RPO but the receiver kept it.

8 minutes ago, KDawg said:

The double forward pass has to be completed and thrown behind the LoS from what I’ve seen. 

Yesterday I’m pretty sure the Zornys tried a shovel RPO but the receiver kept it.

I caught that play & I think they tried to go for either 2 or 3 after a TD once. 

Seems like so far that coaches are just playing everything safe when it comes to new unique offensive rules.