Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Audi Field to Host Washington DC Defenders XFL Team in 2020

Ron78

What Will You Do To Support the XFL Franchise in DC?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. What Will You Do To Support the XFL Franchise in DC?

• Attend games at Audi Field
    • Watch games at home or in sports bars
    • I will not support this team

1 hour ago, Ron78 said:

We're defending against crackheads.

The results of the first day of drafting are below.  Cardale Jones was our allocated starting quarterback.

Quarterbacks

Running backs

Wide receivers

Tight ends

Offensive linemen

Defensive linemen

Linebackers

Defensive backs

Special teams

Kyle Murphy and Jon Toth are two guys I took in the ES mock draft a couple years ago.  I don't understand how Murphy doesn't have an NFL job even as a backup right now because he played really well in GB when he was healthy and given a chance.

Edited by PokerPacker
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, PokerPacker said:

Kyle Murphy and Jon Toth are two guys I took in the ES fantasy draft a couple years ago.  I don't understand how Murphy doesn't have an NFL job even as a backup right now because he played really well in GB when he was healthy and given a chance.

NFL scouting is not a perfect science and sometimes guys simply get squeezed out of the rankings either because of salary cap reasons or because they have been replaced by a draft pick.  Sometimes teams are more inclined to keep a guy they picked in the draft over a veteran because they don't want to think they wasted that draft pick.  The XFL can capitalize off of some of those players.  But, there are also probably guys you have never heard of that will end up surprising you.  

i don't know why people seem so negative on the XFL.

I think it's a great premise, backed by a billionaire, with games broadcast on ESPN and FOX. And, this time around, they are taking it very seriously. 

I like the salary cap structure, the draft structure, the timing, etc.

Their coaching staffs are pretty solid. Logos are meh :ols: but we can't have everything.

The OT rules are interesting.

Worst case scenario, it gives the NFL some things to think about. Best case is we have football in a season we usually don't and it serves as a minor league type of system with the NFL. It may also force the NCAA to do something about how they exploit student-athletes.

Also, the Defenders' roster is solid.

• Like 4

On 10/16/2019 at 7:43 AM, KDawg said:

i don't know why people seem so negative on the XFL.

I think it's a great premise, backed by a billionaire, with games broadcast on ESPN and FOX. And, this time around, they are taking it very seriously. 

I like the salary cap structure, the draft structure, the timing, etc.

Their coaching staffs are pretty solid. Logos are meh :ols: but we can't have everything.

The OT rules are interesting.

Worst case scenario, it gives the NFL some things to think about. Best case is we have football in a season we usually don't and it serves as a minor league type of system with the NFL. It may also force the NCAA to do something about how they exploit student-athletes.

Also, the Defenders' roster is solid.

Agree with most of that.  Production value of the broadcasts will be high.  I don't think the logos are so bad.  Some of the NFL logos are pretty bland, but they are revered because of their longevity.  Imagine how Cleveland sports fans felt when they found out their football team was going to be called the "Browns." 

On 10/16/2019 at 10:10 AM, -JB- said:

I’d MUUUUUUCH rather go to a DC Defenders game at Audi Field than the Redskins at that DUMP Fed Ex Field.  It’s not even close!  And I also think the Defenders have the best logo in the XFL by far! Lol

Completely agree.  If you have never been to Audi Field, this is a good opportunity.  It is a super nice stadium, and there are a lot of good restaurants and bars built up in the area now.

This is the final team after the draft:

Quarterbacks

Running backs

Wide receivers

Tight ends

Offensive linemen

Defensive linemen

Linebackers

Defensive backs

Special teams

Edited by Ron78
  • Thanks 1

Ladarius Gunter was a pretty decent DB in GB for a couple seasons.  The knock on him that caused him to go undrafted was lack of athleticism, which I'm sure hasn't changed, but he had some pretty good physicality in press and decent awareness to still be a viable option.  I think he'll do well at this level.

On 10/16/2019 at 10:10 AM, -JB- said:

I’d MUUUUUUCH rather go to a DC Defenders game at Audi Field than the Redskins at that DUMP Fed Ex Field.  It’s not even close!  And I also think the Defenders have the best logo in the XFL by far! Lol

The full game schedule was released today:

No photo description available.

• 1 month later...

I think they are going to have a rough go when they have to go up against the NCAA tournament in March.

Any word on ticket prices?  

I think they are going to have a rough go when they have to go up against the NCAA tournament in March.

On 11/27/2019 at 8:53 AM, MarkB452 said:

The lowest single ticket prices are $20, so its $100 for all 5 home games of the regular season.

The NCAA tournament in March destroyed the original XFL in the ratings in 2001.  They had a big drop off in ratings in March of 2001, and I am sure that is part of the reason. 

Edited by Ron78

Vince McMahon's pretty high on my **** list for the way he's treated his workers over the years so I'm nearly as loathe to give him money as I am Dan Snyder. 

Having said that, the league created a health advisory board over the summer so hopefully, this league won't go out of its way to be as cartoonishly violent as last time (though I'll wait to see how this plays out). Would be hilarious if the Defenders find a way to overtake the 'Skins as the most popular football team in the area, though. At least that will be worth a few laughs. 

• Haha 1

On 11/27/2019 at 1:04 PM, thebluefood said:

Vince McMahon's pretty high on my **** list for the way he's treated his workers over the years so I'm nearly as loathe to give him money as I am Dan Snyder. 

Having said that, the league created a health advisory board over the summer so hopefully, this league won't go out of its way to be as cartoonishly violent as last time (though I'll wait to see how this plays out). Would be hilarious if the Defenders find a way to overtake the 'Skins as the most popular football team in the area, though. At least that will be worth a few laughs. 

Vince has said player safety is a priority this time around.  I am sure he wants to minimize any problems that arise from CTE-related injuries.

"Overtaking" the Skins right now shouldn't be so hard.  Snyder has run the team into the ground.

Uniforms have been released.

77376549_577434399706678_648915173402214

78118199_577434379706680_840290878939673

78361422_577434389706679_562635016354398

78698686_577434446373340_317053932598932

Wouldn't be a great stick it to him movement for Skins fans to start wearing Defenders jerseys around town.....and it became extremely common to see?

https://www.xfl.com/teams/washington-dc/defenders-sweepstakes/defender-for-a-day-sweepstakes

'DEFENDER FOR A DAY' SWEEPSTAKES

HERE'S WHAT YOU COULD WIN 

Free entry. One (1) randomly selected Grand Prize Winner* will receive:   

One (1) personalized official DC Defenders authentic football jersey

Two (2) suite tickets to the home opener of the DC Defenders’ 2020 XFL season (scheduled for Saturday, Feb. 8, at 2 p.m. ET)

Special gameday access opportunities

Fill out the form below by 11:59 p.m. ET on Dec. 18, 2019, to enter: 

Edited by ClaytoAli
  • Like 1

On 12/5/2019 at 10:13 AM, ClaytoAli said:

Wouldn't be a great stick it to him movement for Skins fans to start wearing Defenders jerseys around town.....and it became extremely common to see?

https://www.xfl.com/teams/washington-dc/defenders-sweepstakes/defender-for-a-day-sweepstakes

'DEFENDER FOR A DAY' SWEEPSTAKES

HERE'S WHAT YOU COULD WIN 

Free entry. One (1) randomly selected Grand Prize Winner* will receive:   

One (1) personalized official DC Defenders authentic football jersey

Two (2) suite tickets to the home opener of the DC Defenders’ 2020 XFL season (scheduled for Saturday, Feb. 8, at 2 p.m. ET)

Special gameday access opportunities

Fill out the form below by 11:59 p.m. ET on Dec. 18, 2019, to enter: 

Jerseys for all 8 teams sold out within 24 hours of being posted, so there are a number of "Defenders" jerseys out there at the moment. 

https://xflnewshub.com/xfl-news/xfl-replica-jerseys-sell-out-within-hours/

Edited by Ron78

Update 1/7/19: XFL official rule changes have been announced.

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/28438441/xfl-rule-changes-focus-faster-pace-more-excitement

• A kickoff designed to discourage touchbacks and increase the likelihood of a return: The ball will be kicked off from the 30-yard line, but the coverage and blocking teams will line up at the receiving team's 35- and 30-yard lines, respectively. Only the kicker and returner can move until the ball is caught, or three seconds after it hits the ground. A touchback will be spotted at the 35-yard line. Kicks out of bounds will go to the 45-yard line.

• Players can't leave the line of scrimmage on punts until after the kick. Any kicks that go into the end zone or out of bounds will be marked at the 35-yard line or wherever the ball went out of bounds, whichever is better for the receiving team. The idea is to discourage fair catches and "coffin corner" kicks, while providing more incentive to go for it on fourth down.

• Three options after scoring a touchdown: a 1-point play from the 2-yard line, a 2-point play from the 3-yard line or a 3-point play from the 10-yard line. There is no option to kick an extra point.

• A shootout-style overtime: Each team will get five single-play possessions from the 5-yard line. If the game is still tied at that point, the rotating possessions will continue until there is a winner. The XFL hopes that overtimes will be rare, in part because of the multiple options for points after touchdowns.

• A rule that allows two forward passes on one play, providing the first doesn't go past the line of scrimmage. The purpose is to encourage creative trick plays without the risk of losing possession of a lateral or backward pass, which is a live ball if it hits the ground.

• A requirement for only one foot to be in bounds for possession. XFL director of football operations Sam Schwartzstein said the change is easier to officiate quickly. It also is better for player safety, Schwartzstein said, because players take more unbraced falls while trying to place both feet in bounds.

• A total of nine officials on the field, one of whom will be dedicated solely to spotting the ball to minimize downtime between plays. XFL head of officiating Dean Blandino said most XFL officials have experience at the Division I college level. Blandino, the former NFL officiating chief, has been consulting with the XFL for more than a year. He performed a similar function for the Alliance of American Football (AAF) last spring.

• A video official who can intervene on significant non-reviewable plays when involving player safety, or on any calls inside of five minutes remaining in the fourth quarter. There will also be booth-initiated reviews of traditionally reviewable plays using Hawk-Eye technology that ingests video directly from the broadcast truck.

• Allowing offensive linemen to be up to 2 yards downfield when a pass is thrown, with the hope of minimizing flags on run-pass option plays.

• A series of tweaks that the XFL hopes will cap game times at 2 hours, 45 minutes. (NFL games typically run about 3:06.) The tweaks include a running game clock that won't stop after incomplete passes or when players go out of bounds, except inside of two minutes in each half. Additionally, there will be a 10-minute halftime, two timeouts per team per half and no coin tosses. The home team will always make the choice to kick, receive or defer to start the game. The visitors will make that choice to start overtime.

•  

Edited by Ron78
  • Like 2