Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: STATEMENT BY #REDSKINS SENIOR VP OF PLAYER PERSONNEL D. WILLAMS

TK

For Immediate Release                                                                                  

November 27, 2018

STATEMENT BY WASHINGTON REDSKINS 

SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT OF PLAYER PERSONNEL DOUG WILLAMS:

"Today we have claimed the rights to LB Reuben Foster.  The Redskins fully understand the severity of the recent allegations made against Reuben.  If true, you can be sure these allegations are nothing our organization would ever condone.  Let me be clear, Reuben will have to go through numerous steps including the full legal process, an investigation and potential discipline from the NFL, as well as meetings with counselors associated with the team before he will ever have the opportunity to wear the Burgundy and Gold as a player.   That being said, we decided to investigate the situation with Reuben further by claiming his rights after candid conversations with a number of his ex-Alabama teammates and current Redskins players who were overwhelmingly supportive of us taking this chance.  Nothing is promised to Reuben, but we are hopeful being around so many of his former teammates and friends will eventually provide him with the best possible environment to succeed both personally and professionally."

1 hour ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

So this is a move to retain his rights for 2019 and beyond?  If what Doug is saying is true, it's worth the gamble.  But if what Doug is saying is true, then they intend on him taking up a roster spot and not playing in 2018.  There's no way his legal issues will resolve within a month right?

He's on the Commisioner's Exempt List, which I take is the "legal problems" version of Injured Reserve.

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

Lets just stop for a second and relish in the fact that 1) the Redskins look like they ARE doing their homework on this one, and 2) Doug made this announcement, not Bruce.

I am fine with this, could be a steal, and very clear if its proven he did do it, he's gone.

Did he consult Bruce first? 😂 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I recall Ryan Anderson in some fashion was asked about who was the best player in Alabama's defense when he was there and he said Foster.  I get the thinking that Foster surrounded with Alabama players might get himself together.  But this dude has a pattern of being a problem.  

This is where I'm at. I can get the rationale. Of ALL the teams in the league, we most likely have the best support system for in place with all of his high-profile teammates in the mix. These are guys that played with him and supported him at Alabama, and now have proven they can handle themselves off the field with NFL contracts in their pocket. Think Patrick Peterson taking Tyrann Mathieu (not comparing the incidents in any way at all, just situations).

That being said, he clearly has a serious issue. Whether it's DV itself, putting himself in bad situations, a combo, IDK. I'm sure we'll find out more. I'm all for second chances, but as people have said, they must be earned. I like that Doug said what he said.

This comes off as more of a Doug decision tbh. I don't think Bruce makes this move, but could be wrong.

9 minutes ago, HardcoreZorn said:

This is where I'm at. I can get the rationale. Of ALL the teams in the league, we most likely have the best support system for in place with all of his high-profile teammates in the mix. These are guys that played with him and supported him at Alabama, and now have proven they can handle themselves off the field with NFL contracts in their pocket. Think Patrick Peterson taking Tyrann Mathieu (not comparing the incidents in any way at all, just situations).

That being said, he clearly has a serious issue. Whether it's DV itself, putting himself in bad situations, a combo, IDK. I'm sure we'll find out more. I'm all for second chances, but as people have said, they must be earned. I like that Doug said what he said.

This comes off as more of a Doug decision tbh. I don't think Bruce makes this move, but could be wrong.

Don't know who made the call.  I do recall from the beat guys they loved (especially Jay) Foster in the draft.  And Jay admitted, they tried to trade up for Foster but got outbid by SF.  

If I had to take a stab at this, it would be they love the player, talked to Alabama guys (Doug flat out suggested they did) and they convinced Doug they can get Reuben's head on straight.  

And I have little doubt that they believe it.  But if this dude is guilty it obviously sends the wrong message especially grabbing him so quick -- and this guys behavior has manifested in a number of ways where its clear the dude has some serious problems.

This article delves into it:  https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/11/27/reuben-foster-washington-redskins-domestic-violence-allegations-arrest

I really, really, really, really hope this was Bruce's idea. Because when this blows up in their faces, it would be another bit of trash to heap in the Bruce Allen bin.

There are few times when I really care all that much about which player gets signed for what. Junior G was unimportant in my book. Reuben's repeat troubles, caused either by sheer stupidity or being an outright abuser, is just inexcusable. Reuben's going to have to come off looking squeaky clean and smelling of roses. The team is on the edge of unraveling with players calling each other out for not practicing hard enough, and if this **** turns into another circus, they can count on their fingers the number of fans that will attend the games.

Could be worth it. The guy was a serious difference maker at Alabama. Maybe being with some former teammates can help him get his head straight. Low cost, high reward. And I'm also glad that they're coming out and addressing the allegations and they seem to be taking them seriously. 

2 hours ago, TK said:

I get Mike Jones' position on a lot of levels here, but this sentence is just ridiculous:

Here’s my question: How will Snyder, Allen, Williams and coach Jay Gruden explain that it’s OK to employ a person that allegedly has abused a woman? 

In his own sentence, he confirms that the specifics of the case haven't been proven yet, hence the word "allegedly." So yeah, it's probably "OK" to employ someone until "allegedly" is dropped from the equation. By his logic, according to that sentence, all it should take is an accusation to get someone fired. Not a smart precedent. 

I don't know much about the guy, tbh, and if he's guilty of these things, I don't want him anywhere near the team. But the process needs to play out first.

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

If I had to take a stab at this, 

Probably not the best choice of words when describing Foster. :ols:

we just dont even pretend to give a **** about class anymore. Maybe Rice still has some gas in the tank to spell AP. :ols:

I think I might be down following the NFL.. pretty much just the skins I follow,  but I cant cheer for this guy.

1 hour ago, Dissident2 said:

get Mike Jones' position on a lot of levels here, but this sentence is just ridiculous: 

Mikes Jones' article wasn't about Reuben, even though he was in the title. It was about the certain 49ers QB who he references in the 2nd to last paragraph. As many good points as Jones makes, I immediately threw out his credibility.

-------------------------------------------------------

Edit:

1 hour ago, NickyJ said:

I really, really, really, really hope this was Bruce's idea. Because when this blows up in their faces, it would be another bit of trash to heap in the Bruce Allen bin.

My wish comes true:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2018/11/27/redskins-claim-reuben-foster-who-was-arrested-saturday-domestic-violence-charge-off-waivers/?utm_term=.e2eec148b8b3

Team decision-makers were said to be divided over whether to claim Foster. Redskins President Bruce Allen masterminded the decision to claim him, an NFL official with knowledge of the Redskins' deliberations said, adding that the front office was far from unanimous about the idea.

I expect this to be a three ring circus, complete with the tent burning down.

2 hours ago, NickyJ said:

Mikes Jones' article wasn't about Reuben, even though he was in the title. It was about the certain 49ers QB who he references in the 2nd to last paragraph.

:806:  I know, that was like :wtf:  That came out of nowhere from who knows what. :silly:

I'm on the fence about this.

In no way do I support what he did, if it is proven he actually did it [ we all are well familiar with how vindictive people can be ].

Getting him as far away as possible from the surroundings that created this mess [ if its proven ] is the first step in getting him help and on the right track, and SF is about as far away from DC as he could have gotten.

If the team can succeed in getting him to appreciate and value everyone and to be a better person by walking away from a situation, football player or not, I think its a grand gesture. But I'm going to wait until all of the facts are in, the trial [ if any ] is over, before I begin judging anyone. Jumping to conclusions can be pretty bad as well.

Archived