Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Breaking: Redskins claim Reuben Foster NFL.COM

Suffolk_Skins

9 minutes ago, Unbias said:

What's lost in this move is how easy is it to be a Redskins fan. Shouldn't a team do things that make it easy to be a fan? The same way I went after buddies that like the Cowboys over the Hardy move I have people that know I'm a die hard Redskins fan coming at me wondering if I'll defend an alleged domestic abuser.

Just because I'm a die hard fan that doesn't mean I should feel like my allegiance to this team is dying a hard death. Why does being a fan of this team have to be so hard? Seriously, why? 

Can't say I understand this position. We don't have an accountability to justify the morale upstanding of everyone associated with the organisation. 

The NFL is a rather murky world on many levels.

12 minutes ago, Unbias said:

What are you talking about? 

They didn't call the cops about the pending Tampa investigation, only spoke to 2 of the players on the team and with a split front office they just decided to proceed while knowing very little about the facts.

He's also on the NFL Exempt list, so he can't play. This isn't team choosing to be careful, but rather the NFL not allowing them to be careless. They can market it as a measured, cautious approach, but the truth is they don't have a choice. This is what happens when a team signs someone with a pending investigation looming over them. 

Again...they didn't do those things prior to having to claim him, no. They also aren't committed to him. If they find out tomorrow something that they are uncomfortable with they can release him. Done. 

What they did was reserve his rights (on paper they now have essentially an additional first-round talent under rookie contract for 2 more years) while they took however long they needed to see if they wanted to keep him in the organization. What this protects them from is him becoming a FA (if no one claimed him) and then there being a bidding war if he's found not guilty or he's reinstated. 

People make it seem like they needed to have ALL the information prior to gaining his rights. Why? That would be impossible to do in the 24-48 hours he was available. 

4 minutes ago, Rocky52Mc said:

It's your last rodeo when you're claimed off waivers by a team sporting a ton of your friends. If you can't make it work here, you can't make it work anywhere.

I am not saying you are wrong, but I think its a bit speculative to imply our Bama players are his friends.  I prefer former teammates. Who, if he was a con artist as Doug seems to have implied, may actually hate him.

So sometimes a fresh start can be a good thing.  Coming here is like coming home... to guys that may or may not want to deal with him  Let's get the old band back.... maybe a new band would be best for him?

22 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

Just speaking football wise (thanks for the reminder @Jumbo, sometimes get caught up.  Passion or something, right?), he's not that good.  People were, understandably, calling for Doctson and Reed to get cut/traded because they weren't on the field, a lot.  People were mad when we drafted Malcomb because we already knew he had bad knees (and even more badass freestyles).  Jonathon Allen is still a "hold-your-breath-when-he-doesn't-get-up-right-away" player.  Thompson has done better in previous seasons, but where is he this year?  Orakpo tore more pecs than I knew a person anatomically had.

He has had multiple injuries, especially as @RandyHolt mentions the rotator cuff.  And while he's pretty good on the field, he is not the second coming of Lawrence Taylor.  I don't see why so many are voraciously defending him.

EDIT:  Forgot this part, he's going to be suspended/placed on the exempt list no matter what.  He's already missing games even if he is on the roster.  This guy isn't worth the baggage, and I wouldn't be super enthused even if he were a Gibbs-character person.

So, that's something I am interested in learning more about. If the guys isn't even any good then I have a completely different opinion on this. I was under the impression that we were rolling the dice on a play-making stud who we are hoping can get on the field...if he's just Mason Foster 2.0, then I agree he isn't worth the BS. 

11 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

People make it seem like they needed to have ALL the information prior to gaining his rights. Why? That would be impossible to do in the 24-48 hours he was available. 

There is a huge gap between ALL the information and Doug’s two nameless friends from Alabama.  It would appear the Skins didn’t even really try to find out anything at all and completely overestimated the level in which teams would stoop to instantly claim this guy after such harsh allegations for the 2nd time. 

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

There is a huge gap between ALL the information and Doug’s two nameless friends from Alabama.  It would appear the Skins didn’t even really try to find out anything at all and completely overestimated the level in which teams would stoop to instantly claim this guy after such harsh allegations for the 2nd time. 

OK, here goes...

First of all, Doug Williams has now said he spoke to two former teammates. I suppose we can assume he's straight up lying about that, or we can maybe assume it could be the same two guys Foster dined with the other night. Either way, I take him at his word that he reached out to a couple ex-teammates. 

Secondly, the entire point of claiming him and giving yourself weeks/months to vet the situation is so you don't need to scramble around and learn stuff ahead of time. I'm not really sure what information is readily available about an on-going investigation...but if you don't have to decide anything by 4pm yesterday, what does it matter? They can cut him in 3 days if they talk to Nick Saban and he says the guy is nuts. They can cut him in January if they speak to his high school coach and find out that he beat up someone years ago. 

I don't understand why everyone is fixated on them not gathering enough information prior to the claim when their press release and stance since then has stated that they made the claim so that they 1) had time to due their due diligence, 2) let the legal process play out, and 3) allow him to get help, as needed. It's IN THEIR PRESS RELEASE...no where in there did they insist that they had nearly enough information to determine that he would be a Redskin in 2019. In fact, they state that he will need to jump through several hoops before ever playing for them. 

Oh good... Football discussion. I can actually join in about that :ols:

Anyone saying he's not good isn't speaking with their head. Or they just haven't paid any attention to him. He is a very good football player. He's not a hall of famer, but a very significant upgrade to us at ILB with the potential to be the second best ILB we've had in here in the last 15 years or so behind London Fletcher. But potential is one hell of a word, isn't it? 

His issue is not one of playing ability... but availability. If he's injured, he can't play. If he does something stupid and gets suspended for, say, drop kicking a walrus or something... he can't play. He is another addition to the roster that can't seem to stay on the field. That is my lone issue with the move (from a football perspective, don't twist my words). His on-field ability is tremendous. A 24 year old, highly rated prospect just fell in the team's lap.

IF HE IS CLEARED AND CAN PLAY (looking towards next year regardless) then the Skins come out looking squeeky clean with a heck of a prospect.

But that availability part has me biting my cheek a little, even IF he's cleared.

19 hours ago, gooseneck said:

Now if only Mahomes is convicted of robbery, and Beckham is convicted of dealing some drugs and we do good in the draft, and we find a good guard who commits a crime we will be set for next year.

We would still probably give Andy Reid a boatload of picks to trade for him vs letting him hit the waivers.  Because giving Andy Reid draft picks for damaged QB's is what we f'n do!

I was listening to 106.7 yesterday and I forget what show it was but they had someone from San Fran on talking about the football side of Foster and this person was saying that Foster never got the proper treatment on his shoulder when he injured it in college and it has affected his ability to play.

15 hours ago, carex said:

I'm gonna say something very unpopular here.

Sean Taylor, a man everyone here is paying tribute to recently, pulled a gun on three people over ATVs, he plead no contest and had a plea bargain in place. So mit's not like the Skins have only picked up saints in the past or it's unreasonable for players to get second chances and be forgiven

Didn't he also get in trouble for spitting on opposing players?

1 minute ago, hatchetwound said:

He was also arrested for a DUI (later acquitted I think) and refused the breathalyzer. 

Assault, possibly driving under the influence, and spitting on opponents. But that's different because he was ours and was good for us BEFORE he did bad things in society. 

26 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

OK, here goes...

First of all, Doug Williams has now said he spoke to two former teammates. I suppose we can assume he's straight up lying about that, or we can maybe assume it could be the same two guys Foster dined with the other night. Either way, I take him at his word that he reached out to a couple ex-teammates. 

Secondly, the entire point of claiming him and giving yourself weeks/months to vet the situation is so you don't need to scramble around and learn stuff ahead of time. I'm not really sure what information is readily available about an on-going investigation...but if you don't have to decide anything by 4pm yesterday, what does it matter? They can cut him in 3 days if they talk to Nick Saban and he says the guy is nuts. They can cut him in January if they speak to his high school coach and find out that he beat up someone years ago. 

I don't understand why everyone is fixated on them not gathering enough information prior to the claim when their press release and stance since then has stated that they made the claim so that they 1) had time to due their due diligence, 2) let the legal process play out, and 3) allow him to get help, as needed. It's IN THEIR PRESS RELEASE...no where in there did they insist that they had nearly enough information to determine that he would be a Redskin in 2019. In fact, they state that he will need to jump through several hoops before ever playing for them. 

it's amazing how almost everything you mentioned gets overlooked or ignored.

4 minutes ago, hatchetwound said:

The Sean Taylor story was not remotely finished when he died tragically and then basically defamed by a few media members immediately following his death. Because of both of those circumstances, talking about him honestly was kind of difficult.

I don't know where Taylor was going to end, I thought he basically had two paths - Hall of Fame or basically some variation of PacMan Jones career, if not worse.

Even suggesting the latter is going to get me a few really really nasty replies from people who have martyred him, but I think it's a fair overall prediction.

Sean's career really crossing into Roger Goodell's Sheriff Goodell, protector of the shield period could have been interesting.

5 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

He was also arrested for a DUI (later acquitted I think) and refused the breathalyzer. 

Assault, possibly driving under the influence, and spitting on opponents. But that's different because he was ours and was good for us BEFORE he did bad things in society. 

IT's amazing how much he turned it around before he was murdered in cold blood.

2 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

it's amazing how almost everything you mentioned gets overlooked or ignored.

You could post the press release and someone would say "Fine, but I bet he suits up this Monday night!! Classic Dan Schnieder thinking he's above the legal system!"

3 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

The Sean Taylor story was not remotely finished when he died tragically and then basically defamed by a few media members immediately following his death. Because of both of those circumstances, talking about him honestly was kind of difficult.

I don't know where Taylor was going to end, I thought he basically had two paths - Hall of Fame or basically some variation of PacMan Jones career, if not worse.

Even suggesting the latter is going to get me a few really really nasty replies from people who have martyred him, but I think it's a fair overall prediction.

Sean's career really crossing into Roger Goodell's Sheriff Goodell, protector of the shield period could have been interesting.

I'm in the minority on this board and on Twitter...and I take a beating because of it. 

I was excited about Taylor's potential and the strides he had made in 2007. But I didn't forget that he was particularly horrible in 2006 on the field. So people get mad at me when I can't agree that he was destined to be a HOF safety. In my book, he flashed a lot in 2004 and 2005, played poorly in 2006, and was having a Pro Bowl season in 2007 before he got hurt. As you said, where it was going to go from there no one knows. Laron Landry had a great season if I recall correctly and that didn't turn into a 7-8 year run of exceptional safety play. 

Off the field, who knows. He definitely seemed to have calmed down and was acting more responsibly himself. But, even if those thugs didn't murder him, how do we know that he would have stayed completely out of that world? 

23 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

You could post the press release and someone would say "Fine, but I bet he suits up this Monday night!! Classic Dan Schnieder thinking he's above the legal system!"

You ain't kiddin' lol...check this out:

Reuben Foster has been arrested three times in 2018 and was suspended for two games to begin the NFL season.
Less than 72 hours after being arrested on domestic violence charges and waived, a team claimed him on waivers, possibly to have him play right away.
Give me a break.

— Field Yates (@FieldYates) November 27, 2018

Does picking up Foster hurt our comp pick situation at all? 

If not, maybe that's the genius of this move.  Pick him up, keep him on the roster through the season.  Then when his rookie contract is up, let him sign somewhere else and rake in another comp pick. 

Its like buying draft picks!

11 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

People like this guy...

LOL. I totally understand having serious reservations. Totally get the severity of the issue and disagreeing with signing him. What bothers me is the complete ignorance of facts or things that have been said by the organization because it doesn't lend itself to ****ting all over the team.

Great move. Low risk high reward.

To hell with PR. 

Reuben Foster sound like a stupid kid with great talent.

1. If he is guilty of the DV charges cut him asap.

2. If he is not, the NFL will certainly suspend him

3. After that the team should straighten him out (no more stupid stuff going forward or he is out)

4. And then he can join the team

46 minutes ago, hatchetwound said:

Does picking up Foster hurt our comp pick situation at all? 

If not, maybe that's the genius of this move.  Pick him up, keep him on the roster through the season.  Then when his rookie contract is up, let him sign somewhere else and rake in another comp pick. 

Its like buying draft picks!

It doesn't effect the comp pick situation and yes if he becomes part of our roster and lasts till free agency then yes if signs elsewhere he goes into the equation fro comp picks (that would be in the 2021 or 2022 season depending if we pick up his 5th year option). Hmmm 5th year option? - since he was cut by San Fran do we still get a 5th year option?

Archived