Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Breaking: Redskins claim Reuben Foster NFL.COM

Suffolk_Skins

4 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

There are a LOT of sports stories that have (and would) get run on the NBC Nightly News.

There are SOME. And for the most part, they fall into 2 categories.

1. Really nice feel good story/huge accomplishment. "Adrian Peterson, after tearing ACL the year before, comes back and runs for over 2000 yards, deifying logic!"

2. Really bad/not feel good story. "Adrian Peterson in child abuse investigation after beating toddler with a switch!"

This is the vast majority of what they are going to cover. Big, non regional, really non football stuff.

Well if all turns out well in this situation I guess middle linebacker will no longer be a problem and won't need to be addressed at the draft. Foster certainly is a major upgrade in speed over Foster (we can have fun with this). Redskins should give the two Fosters the same # just to confuse the opposing offense, the announcers and NFL statisticians.

3 minutes ago, nonniey said:

Well if all turns out well in this situation I guess middle linebacker will no longer be a problem and won't need to be addressed at the draft. Foster certainly is a major upgrade in speed over Foster (was dying to put it that way).

Actually no. Reuben didn't make the calls in San Fran, they actually gave that responsibility to a rookie this year. This means that they trusted a rook over him to get the D set up. And that is Mason's job here. So, he'd be taking over Browns' spot. And maybe SDH would take Mason's spot, as he was the signal caller at 'Bama when he was healthy there.

5 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Actually no. Reuben didn't make the calls in San Fran, they actually gave that responsibility to a rookie this year. This means that they trusted a rook over him to get the D set up. And that is Mason's job here. So, he'd be taking over Browns' spot. And maybe SDH would take Mason's spot, as he was the signal caller at 'Bama when he was healthy there.

I suppose the Redskins could retask signal calling to someone else if they wanted the speed advantage that R Foster and Brown would provide. The defensive QB doesn't have to be a middle linebacker it can be a safety.

17 hours ago, Gibbit said:

so basically if you can ball...I don't care where you are....death row?...hof qb?  lets find a way

Around 10 yeas ago, yeah. With social media (pics, videos and a way to count backlash) along with society being more forward in voicing concerns it's not really the same. 

Two glaring examples are that Adrian Peterson got suspended an entire season for hitting his son with a switch/stick and Ray Rice's career ended at the age of 27 because there was a video of him punching his wife. When that happened both were in the prime of their careers and house hold names, so it can happen to anyone.

It's early in the Foster investigation, but it was in a public place (hotel) and the accuser has a one inch cut. If there's a security/phone video of him hitting her there's nothing more that can be said. Don't care how well he plays. His baggage + video will be his career's death sentence. 

I video taped myself working through Doug's comments over the past few days: 

ddF2JVH.gif

They have 7 employees (Bama players) that could have vouched for him. They talked to 2...

The police had an investigation and we choose not to call them...

Doug's comments originally made it sound like they had a due diligence and were comfortable with the risk. Now it sounds like they did virtually no work and didn't measure the PR impact of the move... 

Why would Foster think its his last rodeo, if we immediately grabbed him after the latest allegation?

I suspect those 2 teammates are not thrilled to hear Doug said he heard he was a con artist. Gee I wonder who RF would think told him that, his future teammates by chance?

Just now, RandyHolt said:

Why would Foster think its his last rodeo, if we immediately grabbed him after the latest allegation?

I suspect those 2 teammates are not thrilled to hear Doug said he heard he was a con artist. Gee I wonder who RF would think told him that, his future teammates by chance?

To answer the 'rodeo' comment:

1 - Pre-draft red flags

2 - multiple arrests/red flags in his short <2 year NFL career

The 49ers said they were very clear in letting Foster knew where he stood. I'm assuming his agent has had a similar conversation before and after being waived by them. 

I like hearing this amount of rigor and skepticism from the team...isn't that what many feared we DIDN'T have before and that we were setting a bad example?

If they are going to make it tough for him to get out on the field, then I feel they are doing exactly what I wanted them to do: 

• Make the waiver claim to get the rights
  • Fully understand the situation
  • Make an informed decision on if he can play for us

This keeps the team from ultimately being in a line of 10 interested teams trying to sign him as a FA if things go his way from a legal perspective. And, if they don't, we release him. PR aside, I'm still shocked to find that people don't consider this at least somewhat shrewd. 

2 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

PR aside, I'm still shocked to find that people don't consider this at least somewhat shrewd. 

Fully agree. Plus the added background context is that we were all over him pre draft and considered moving back up to get him. There is a clear strong interest in him, expressed directly by Jay. Favourite combine interview he said.

So it's a shrewd move, we are making all the right noises at present. Jays gotta look mildly pissed/irritable. Dare say jumping around happy at the waiver claim would generate even greater bad press at the moment.

Get the facts, let the process unfold, make a more informed decision then.

Shrewd... maybe, but with waning ticket sales, and then seeing Jay taking it on the chin from the media before anyone else, the word shrewd loses a bit of its luster.   Now former players are being used to judge him, and that made public by our GM.... I thought no one likes a snitch.  Internal issues resulting from this may be an after thought for us fans, but what do the players think. If your boss just rushed to hire him, what would you think?

And no one else claimed him, so how shrewd can we claim to be when we likely could have claimed him when the season was over, or, our playoff fate sealed one way or the other.

He isn't without issues on the field. A rotary cuff is nothing to scoff at.  When the best thing going for him is Bama, I am hesitant to pat ourselves on the back just yet.

Losing Monday night, will also go a long ways towards this not looking like a shrewd move, WRT to timing.

2 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Shrewd... maybe, but with waning ticket sales, and then seeing Jay taking it on the chin from the media before anyone else, the word shrewd loses a bit of its luster.   Now former players are being used to judge him, and that made public by our GM.... I thought no one likes a snitch.  Internal issues resulting from this may be an after thought for us fans, but what do the players think. If your boss just rushed to hire him, what would you think?

And no one else claimed him, so how shrewd can we claim to be when we likely could have claimed him when the season was over, or, our playoff fate sealed one way or the other.

He isn't without issues on the field. A rotary cuff is nothing to scoff at.  When the best thing going for him is Bama, I am hesitant to pat ourselves on the back.

Losing Monday night, will also go a long ways towards this not looking like a shrewd move, WRT to timing.

What's lost in this move is how easy is it to be a Redskins fan. Shouldn't a team do things that make it easy to be a fan? The same way I went after buddies that like the Cowboys over the Hardy move I have people that know I'm a die hard Redskins fan coming at me wondering if I'll defend an alleged domestic abuser.

Just because I'm a die hard fan that doesn't mean I should feel like my allegiance to this team is dying a hard death. Why does being a fan of this team have to be so hard? Seriously, why? 

2 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Internal issues resulting from this may be an after thought for us fans, but what do the players think. 

The players must be fine, we haven't heard DJ sounding off about the move..yet..

The waiver claim now also secures his rights under his favourable rookie contract through 2020. Seasons end, he'd be a a pure FA and would require a new deal which I'd suggest would outway his 2 year 3mil remaining on his rookie deal.

But yes, the move is understandably controversial across the wider audience.

17 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I like hearing this amount of rigor and skepticism from the team...isn't that what many feared we DIDN'T have before and that we were setting a bad example?

If they are going to make it tough for him to get out on the field, then I feel they are doing exactly what I wanted them to do: 

This keeps the team from ultimately being in a line of 10 interested teams trying to sign him as a FA if things go his way from a legal perspective. And, if they don't, we release him. PR aside, I'm still shocked to find that people don't consider this at least somewhat shrewd. 

What are you talking about? 

They didn't call the cops about the pending Tampa investigation, only spoke to 2 of the players on the team and with a split front office they just decided to proceed while knowing very little about the facts.

He's also on the NFL Exempt list, so he can't play. This isn't team choosing to be careful, but rather the NFL not allowing them to be careless. They can market it as a measured, cautious approach, but the truth is they don't have a choice. This is what happens when a team signs someone with a pending investigation looming over them. 

7 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Dude, I really think you have issues!  totally kidding! Referencing your earlier posts...  :cheers:

The bolded part is huge, but it's not just PR. I think it sends the wrong message. Again, he has had multiple issues - yes people have found ways to rationalize them. But the common denominator here is him. At the very least he has horrible judgement. That is clear. 

And yes, before I get asked again and again and again (not by you, but by a few others), I have made plenty of poor decisions. But there are consequences to those poor decisions. I paid for my poor decisions, and not just financially. I finally figured things out but I paid for the mistakes none the less. And in some cases quite heavily. 

2 minutes ago, Unbias said:

What's lost in this move is how easy is it to be a Redskins fan. Shouldn't a team do things that make it easy to be a fan? The same way I went after buddies that like the Cowboys over the Hardy move I have people that know I'm a die hard Redskins fan coming at me wondering if I'll defend an alleged domestic abuser.

Just because I'm a die hard fan that doesn't mean I should feel like my allegiance to this team is dying a hard death. Why does being a fan of this team have to be so hard? Seriously, why? 

The first person I talked, their first reaction was "What a despicable thing for the team to do! This sends a bad message to all the women that follow the team." And this is someone who keeps up with things. So not a peripheral fan. Someone who is active. 

15 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

He isn't without issues on the field. A rotary cuff is nothing to scoff at.  When the best thing going for him is Bama, I am hesitant to pat ourselves on the back just yet.

Just speaking football wise (thanks for the reminder @Jumbo, sometimes get caught up.  Passion or something, right?), he's not that good.  People were, understandably, calling for Doctson and Reed to get cut/traded because they weren't on the field, a lot.  People were mad when we drafted Malcomb because we already knew he had bad knees (and even more badass freestyles).  Jonathon Allen is still a "hold-your-breath-when-he-doesn't-get-up-right-away" player.  Thompson has done better in previous seasons, but where is he this year?  Orakpo tore more pecs than I knew a person anatomically had.

He has had multiple injuries, especially as @RandyHolt mentions the rotator cuff.  And while he's pretty good on the field, he is not the second coming of Lawrence Taylor.  I don't see why so many are voraciously defending him.

EDIT:  Forgot this part, he's going to be suspended/placed on the exempt list no matter what.  He's already missing games even if he is on the roster.  This guy isn't worth the baggage, and I wouldn't be super enthused even if he were a Gibbs-character person.

1 minute ago, Unbias said:

They didn't call the cops about the pending Tampa investigation.

Why dont you call them? Just say you are considering employing him and would like to know all the finer details about this highly confidential matter. I'm sure they will just tell you.

Then you can let us all know if he's guilty or not.

36 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

It's your last rodeo when you're claimed off waivers by a team sporting a ton of your friends. If you can't make it work here, you can't make it work anywhere.

Archived