Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alex Smith Actual Status

Atlantaskinsfan18

Just now, JSSkinz said:

Craig Hoffman was on Grant and Danny talking about the Redskins having an insurance policy that actually recoups cap space in the event Alex can no longer play football.

He didn't go into much or have any specifics.

I agree with all of those who say its speculation but its all we got right now.  Chris Russell said his sources with the team are fearful that it could be a career ender.

I've been skeptical about him coming back quickly from this as I've talked about watching my son heal from a milder version of the same injury.  In my son's case he was fortunate that the bone didn't break through the skin -- he didn't have a compound injury like what Alex is going through.  Will this stop Alex's career?  On that front, got no feel for it.  But like I've been saying if my son can't get cleared to play football until a year after the injury -- I've been doubting Alex is coming back quicker than that from a much more serious form from the same injury -- albeit everyone heals differently. 

I've been a skeptic about Alex's play.  But as a dude, enjoyed watching the Alex report and I would say on Alex's thread he reminds me some of my own personality (my more chilled non board version of my personality ) so I can relate to him.  Enjoyed hearing his tales about his family among other things.  So wish the dude the best -- that sounds brutal that you have to stay in the hospital and deal with an infection multiple times.   The idea that Colt was next door to him -- that's wild.  Reminds me of Days of Thunder with the scene with the two race car drivers healing side to side. 

2 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

I heard that too, I wonder what the extent of it... 

Alex Smith's health being the priority, but I do wonder. 

I think it may be a while before we find out, first the team needs to know if he wants to continue to play and I don't think you're getting that answer anytime soon.

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've been skeptical about him coming back quickly from this as I've talked about watching my son heal from a milder version of the same injury.  In my son's case he was fortunate that the bone didn't break through the skin -- he didn't have a compound injury like what Alex is going through.  Will this stop Alex's career?  On that front, got no feel for it.  But like I've been saying if my son can't get cleared to play football until a year after the injury -- I've been doubting Alex is coming back quicker than that from a much more serious form from the same injury -- albeit everyone heals differently. 

Me too because I lived through the injury just like your son, what I wonder is has Alex been in the hospital this entire time or did he get admitted after a follow-up visit where they identified the infection.

My injury was almost 25 years ago, for whatever reason I don't remember infections running rampant throughout hospitals as they do now and I was lucky enough not to have complications but still being in the hospital weeks after the surgery is not normal.

12 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

My god. I just hope he keeps the leg long term and can live a normal life, I'm sure football is the furthest thing from their minds if the infections are this much trouble.

Exactly.  I wonder if @Huly knows of a way we could show support for him, like package a bunch of messages together from ES.  Dunno, but this really sucks to see.

37 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

My god. I just hope he keeps the leg long term and can live a normal life, I'm sure football is the furthest thing from their minds if the infections are this much trouble.

Through a football lens, I see a 34-year old QB who's made millions and has nothing left to prove. So, I'm not too worried about his recovery from a purely football perspective. It won't be a huge tragedy if he has to hang them up because of this injury. 

Through a human lens, I see a young husband and father whose post-football life is just starting. So, I really hope this is just a matter of when, not if, he makes a full recovery and has 100% use of that leg. 

Praying for Smith!

34 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Exactly.  I wonder if @Huly knows of a way we could show support for him, like package a bunch of messages together from ES.  Dunno, but this really sucks to see.

I can see what I can do! 

I will say he might not be up for much.  Remember Pez and I just went though this and we are still dealing with this.  For those that don't know Pez broke his ankle June 1st, had surgery for the break and ended up with a Staph infection.  We still have a 50/50 chance of going to round 4 of surgery if the infection returns and he is still in PT.  He just finished 3 times a week now he does it at home and checks in every two weeks.

They probably do not know what type of infection yet and that will determine the everything else.  It takes 7-10 days for the blood and wound cultures to grow to determine the infection.  He is probably in and out of surgery cleaning the wound, hooked to a wound vac, and on so many pain killers and antibiotics he is out of it. 

Wow, nothing like a little dose of reality to put things in perspective. I hope he comes out of this being able to continue to do the things he did before the injury. If he decides to hang up his cleats, fine. I just hope he can do all the things he wants to do in the future. Fingers crossed for a full and complete recovery.

2 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Seeing as I just recently saw my dad get taken off antibiotics finally, as a result of sepsis due to complications from surgery to remove cancerous tissue, and was caring for him daily, yeah, infections can be deadly..

one hell of a curveball, too  just when you think the worst is over and all that's left is rest and recuperation, and eventually rehab for Smith

13 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Seeing as I just recently saw my dad get taken off antibiotics finally, as a result of sepsis due to complications from surgery to remove cancerous tissue, and was caring for him daily, yeah, infections can be deadly..

one hell of a curveball, too  just when you think the worst is over and all that's left is rest and recuperation, and eventually rehab for Smith

Hope your pops is ok.

14 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

This is what came to mind immediately once I heard he's been in the hospital since the injury.  The infection/Staph can run through the body quickly and once sepsis sets in as you might know it can be extremely difficult to overcome, then it's no longer about the leg it's about survival and that would be a terrible turn of events.

5 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

Not that every injury isn't a "health more important than football" but in this case that can't be re-iterated enough.  Not really important at this time whether Alex Smith plays football again or not. 

In all seriousness, if he's still in there fighting a bad infection you are absolutely right.

51 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Hope your pops is ok.

Oh he's a lot better now, but October was a very rough month for me and my family. Got so bad with all the fluid and tubes and and stuff in and draining out of him (in huge amounts) that he looked like a breathing dead person. Scared the hell out of me.

I don't know the particulars of what Smith is going through, but I hope he'll be alright.

Archived