Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alex Smith Actual Status

Atlantaskinsfan18

You would think that every man here is an orthopedic surgeon from the definite nature of these posts instead of just fans of a chronically poorly managed NFL team.  I don't have a clue about how quickly his leg will heal but I do know that Alex Smith and any other guy that made it and then stuck in the NFL at QB is a LOT more determined than the average guy so whatever the healing time for this sort of injury I think it is foolish to count him out.  In any case, the Skins are in the hunt for a division title and a playoff spot now, next year and beyond need is not the concern.

Only chance he retires is if he's worried about getting injured again. To the same part of his leg or even just another major injury in general. It hurts and you can do long term damage to your body. Not to mention CTE. It sure is a lot of money though, so I don't see it happening. But I bet he is thinking about his long term health during this juncture in his career.

Time to face reality and stop the wishful thinking.   Alex has no incentive to retire now to ‘save’ the Redskins some cap room.  Business is business....nothing personal.  At the least Alex will be on payroll until his leg heals so that he can take advantage of having access to top notch doctors and physical therapists on the Redskins dime.  It is his right since he got injured in the line of duty.  He may have insurance but I doubt it because his guaranteed contract was insurance in case he could no longer play at a high level whether it be due to injury or regression of playing ability.   He will collect every penny owed and will spend the next 12 months plus rehabbing at Redskin’s Park.  These things happen and it is all business and the reason why they sign these huge contracts.  They play what we see as a game but to them is in reality a life-shortening...physically crippling...and dangerous occupation.   Start planning for 2021 and beyond since the Redskins rolled the dice and lost the bet.

Just have to add this because it applies.  One reason why Cousins was so valuable was because he has never had a serious injury and has started every game as a starter.  Gregg Williams once stated that the value of a player also hinges on their availability.  If you are injured and not available for large chunks of the season then your value is diminished.  Reason why the Redskins would be wise to trade Trent William...Jordan Reed...and Chris Thompson now while they still have some value and retool by concentrating on creating an elite defense first.   Yet there is no one wise enough nor bold enough to follow that path in Redskins Park.

One more thing.  As far as Head Coach for next year.  I would go after Gregg Williams.  Dan needs to swallow his pride and acknowledge the mistake after Gibbs quit.  Gregg is showing his ability in Cleveland now and will likely be fired after the season for an offensive minded coach to tutor Mayfield.   Let Gregg build an elite defense with the good pieces he will already have then look for another McVay or LeFluer to be OC.  Meanwhile load up on draft picks by trading some of the assets on offense and get someone in the Front Office who knows how to find talent.

3 hours ago, XtremeFan55 said:

As far as Head Coach for next year.  I would go after Gregg Williams.  Dan needs to swallow his pride and acknowledge the mistake after Gibbs quit.

Why would he come back to this clown show?

3 hours ago, XtremeFan55 said:

Gregg is showing his ability in Cleveland now and will likely be fired after the season for an offensive minded coach to tutor Mayfield.

Or... they'll hire a new OC and have Gregg continue as the HC

37 minutes ago, Tsailand said:

Why would he come back to this clown show?

Or... they'll hire a new OC and have Gregg continue as the HC

Gregg Williams would be the best choice for the Redskins and coaches know there are very few opportunities and will gladly take whatever is offered.  

No sense in keeping Gruden nor going after a hot OC for Head Coach since the Redskins will not have a franchise quarterback to drive the offense so it would be foolish to waste the position when the offense will be ‘vanilla’ regardless who gets the job.

The defense on the other hand has some bona fide talent.  Add some more pieces with a defensive minded HC with an attitude like Gregg Williams then the Redskins can morph into what the Ravens were several years ago.  Top five defense with two good RB in Guice and Peterson and you plug in McCoy or Sanchez to manage the offense.

Might not be sexy but it will get the job done until they Alex is off the books and they luck into a decent quarterback.

Reason why trading Trent...Jordan...and Chris is critical to gain draft picks to trade up at some point.  

Make the defense elite....with a good running game...then find that elusive franchise quarterback that the Redskins had in hand but let go for nothing

SMH.

5 hours ago, XtremeFan55 said:

Just have to add this because it applies.  One reason why Cousins was so valuable was because he has never had a serious injury and has started every game as a starter.  Gregg Williams once stated that the value of a player also hinges on their availability.  If you are injured and not available for large chunks of the season then your value is diminished.  Reason why the Redskins would be wise to trade Trent William...Jordan Reed...and Chris Thompson now while they still have some value and retool by concentrating on creating an elite defense first.   Yet there is no one wise enough nor bold enough to follow that path in Redskins Park.

I'm actually on board with this idea.

If we had a smart FO, I would be all in. 

With these clowns? I dunno....

Alex Smith signed a 4 year, $94,000,000 contract with the Washington Redskins, including a $27,000,000 signing bonus, $71,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $23,500,000. In 2018, Smith will earn a base salary of $13,000,000 and a signing bonus of $27,000,000, while carrying a cap hit of $18,400,000 and a dead cap value of $55,000,000.

CONTRACT TERMS:4 yr(s) / $94,000,000 SIGNING BONUS$27,000,000 AVERAGE SALARY$23,500,000 GTD AT SIGN:$55,000,000 TOTAL GTD:$71,000,000 FREE AGENT:2023 / UFA
  BONUS BREAKDOWN CAP DETAILS CASH DETAILS  
YEAR   AGE BASE SALARY SIGNING CAP HIT DEAD CAP YEARLY CASH  
2018 Contract details by year 34 $13,000,000 $5,400,000 $18,400,000  $55,000,000 $40,000,000($40,000,000)  
2019 Contract details by year 35 $15,000,000 $5,400,000 $20,400,000 $42,000,000 $15,000,000($55,000,000)  
2020 Contract details by year 36 $16,000,000 $5,400,000 $21,400,000 $16,200,000 $16,000,000($71,000,000)  

POTENTIAL OUT: 2021, 3 YR, $71,000,000; $10,800,000 DEAD CAP

2021 Contract details by year 37 $19,000,000 $5,400,000 $24,400,000 $10,800,000 $19,000,000($90,000,000)  
2022 Contract details by year 38 $21,000,000 $5,400,000 $26,400,000 $5,400,000 $21,000,000($111,000,000)  

Appears to me that Alex Smith hit the lottery and will walk away with $71 million for a little over 10.5 games as a Redskin.  I wonder if he also gets his name in the Ring of Honor??

9 minutes ago, XtremeFan55 said:

Appears to me that Alex Smith hit the lottery and will walk away with $71 million for a little over 10.5 games as a Redskin.  I wonder if he also gets his name in the Ring of Honor??

Can't blame the dude for signing such a great deal for him.

Fault the FO for signing him to such a bad deal for the team.

5 hours ago, XtremeFan55 said:

Just addressing the trade part. I see a lot of people talk about trading players - a lot. It is really not that easy to trade someone. And it's even harder when the player has injury issues. You have to have a trading partner. Who is that going to be? And what are they going to give up? Let's look at each of the three - with the caveat that if anyone is willing to trade, by all means. But it's just not that easy.:  

Chris Thompson - When healthy can still be a force. However, 2016 was his only full season. Last year was his best but he only made it to gm 10. This yr even less. Looks like he may be coming back. But what are the odds of him getting injured again? What are you getting for him? You could release him and get a comp pick. Someone will see value in him and sign him, but not also give up a draft pick. I say let him go without a new contract. If you can resign him cheap do so. If not, you get a comp pick that is as high as anything you would get from another team in a trade.

Jordan Reed - It depends on how he gets along with Colt. He has not been very productive the last 2 yrs. But in fairness, for some reason Kirk stopped looking for him that much even when he was in and Alex seemed to only see Davis. It looks like Colt and Reed have something going. His last two games were some of his best in a few years. If he gets something going with Colt and builds up some value with a strong finish, you may get some trade value out of him. If he does, I agree, see if you can't move him and get something. If not. If that was just a flash, cut him. I know that means no comp pick. But he is getting old and cannot stay on the field - never has. His CAP hit next years is more than $9M! You have $3.6M dead CAP but get more than $6M in CAP space freed up. 

Trent Williams - He is just too banged up and getting too old. Teams do not trade for an aging, oft injured LT unless they are desperate. Not seeing it. Also, don't forget he is one strike from being banned from football for an entire year. I would try to renegotiate his contract to stretch his contract out a few more years with lower CAP hits. Next yr it's almost $15M. Another reason it's very unlikely anyone will trade for him. If you can't renegotiate him this year, I would release him next (after 2019). His CAP hit is again almost $15M. The dead cap after 2019 is only $2M (vs $5.6M this yr) and you get $12.75M in CAP relief. I know it's gonig to sound blasphemus to some but it would be best for the team. 

6 hours ago, XtremeFan55 said:

One reason why Cousins was so valuable was because he has never had a serious injury and has started every game as a starter.

This injury is pure bad luck than being injury prone or whatever... A bad move, a guy falling at the wrong place, there was absolutely nothing his history of injuries could have prevent or foresee that in any way.

23 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

This injury is pure bad luck than being injury prone or whatever... A bad move, a guy falling at the wrong place, there was absolutely nothing his history of injuries could have prevent or foresee that in any way.

OK now let's talk about how Alex Smith was playing before he got hurt.

2 hours ago, Tsailand said:

OK now let's talk about how Alex Smith was playing before he got hurt.

Not here, please. We've already got a thread for that. To add to it, he's not playing anymore this season, and who knows if/when he actually makes it back. Let's just let that go, at least in this thread. Just keep it for a medical update.

To me, this is the most depressing issue on this message board.  Cap-wise, it's a disaster of "Haynesworthian" proportions and will impact the Skins ability to retain their talent and/or sign new FA talent.

The medical discussions and Smith's recuperating powers aside, it's very unlikely we'll see Smith on the field in either 2019 or 2020. 

I'd note that Smith's a good family man, and his wife was already concerned about his health when he had a concussion while QB'ing the Chiefs.  So I suspect she will be lobbying him fiercely not to risk re-injury to his leg which could result in even more serious permanent damage. (How safe do you think he'll feel protected by a line that might be missing Williams, Sherff, and Moses? 

I think she'll convince him and consequently Smith just won't be able to pass his physicals and will remain inactive and collecting his checks.    

Hindsight 2020 but I would have really liked to have seen Jay or someone push for seeing Alex get a snap in this offense, before giving him a monster extension to someone of his age. Just 1 snap.  So it appears confirmed last year was an outlier for him, and any fantasy folks should have taken note of what he did in the offense, and targeted Mahomes as a priority.  Its such a no brainer after the fact. Hopefully Doug will teach Bruce, to not take Reid's castoffs any longer. It is perhaps the most important thing for Allen to learn, at this point.  They should have paid us to take Alex, not us pay the premium.

Alex has looked meh in his best games in our offense. No offense. Yes he had a questionable supporting cast, but other QBs have made do with similar grades of talent around them.  It's sad to say but the best thing for us may be for our shiny new QB, to retire. Playing internet doctor, he will likely lose .1 off his 40 speed, and to me, his speed/mobility was always one of things that set him apart from other managers.

13 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Hopefully Doug will teach Bruce, to not take Reid's castoffs any longer.

Bruce Allen will never have the ability to trade for a Reid castoff again.  Once Bruce is removed from here, he’ll never have a personnel job in the NFL again.  There’s a slim chance one of his buddies gets him a gig but he won’t be around long enough to get a broken down Mahomes.

So there are insurance policies teams can take out for the guaranteed money on a players contract.  Wonder if the skins were smart enough to do something like this with Smith's contract?  Any money paid out to the insurance seems to be credited to the next years cap.

example:  https://www.denverpost.com/2013/07/16/nfl-teams-players-both-often-get-insurance-for-potential-injuries/

I remember this being mentioned for a team a while back, not sure who it was but they received some level of guaranteed money back for an injured player they insured.

It's way to early to tell. Here's my thoughts on the recovery process: 

1 - Surgery - not sure if this has happened or not. 

2 - Follow up appointments - Checking of additional work is needed. 

3 - Recovery - This is pre-rehab where his body just needs to heal. This is bone reconnecting and muscle fibers growing back together.  I'm assuming this is an open timeline and different for everyone. 

4 - Rehab - This is where he starts testing and strengthening the leg. No doubt a grueling process. 

5 - Setback - Not guaranteed to happen, but with any big surgery it can happen. 

The way I see this recovery going is unique to Smith. This type of injury doesn't happen often and even if we had one to compare it might vary greatly in Smith's ability to recover and the medical attention he'll be getting. 

We'll have a better idea around training camp next year where's he'll be in rehab mode. The problem with Alex Smith is that his $15M salary for the 2019 season is guaranteed and that his $16M salary for 2020 becomes guaranteed on the 5th day of the 2019 season. He definitely won't be physically good for March 5th, so if we are looking to buy him out it will cost ~$31M. What will probably happen is the team will choose to have him on the roster knowing they are committed to him for 2020. The plan should be to draft someone in 2019 and if we have a high pick in 2020 draft a franchise guy and give him a year to learn behind Smith (if he can return). 

Anyway, looking at the injury alone is tough because it's a massive unknown and it only tells part of the picture. 

Archived