Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alex Smith Actual Status

Atlantaskinsfan18

On 5/23/2019 at 7:10 PM, ILikeBilly said:

Could he retire, losing about 40 million over the next two years, but be hired as an assistant coach with a 20 mil per year salary?  This would alleviate our salary cap issues and give a big middle finger to the league for the cap penalty back in 2013...

Yes, because there is no way they could make an argument that this violates the spirit of the cap.  I don't want to go down that road again...

Real talk: I have a really selfish reason for hoping Alex plays again.  I want to hear his QB cadence again. I don't care if he has no military experience, I'd join his squad just so I can go to my death hearing that voice yelling at me.

58 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Real talk: I have a really selfish reason for hoping Alex plays again.  I want to hear his QB cadence again. I don't care if he has no military experience, I'd join his squad just so I can go to my death hearing that voice yelling at me.

It was a very dominant cadence...

4 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Was there supposed to be a press conference with Gruden this afternoon, and is that where you got this from ?

Yep he said the list of guys on the PUP list in his press conference after the conditioning test was over. I figured he’d be placed on IR automatically. Or maybe this is just another way of having him on IR? I have no idea 

1 minute ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Yep he said the list of guys on the PUP list in his press conference after the conditioning test was over. I figured he’d be placed on IR automatically. Or maybe this is just another way of having him on IR? I have no idea 

Yea it's kind of odd, because it seems like they're leaving the door open for him to return this year, in some sort of fashion.

54 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Gruden said Alex Smith is on the PUP list....does that mean we might see him in the 2nd half of the season? PUP list is different from injured reserve right? 

I believe if a guy doesn't come off the PUP list by a certain date he either goes on IR or on the in-season PUP list (which has another deadline). It's rare for a player to just open training camp straight on the IR, that designation might not be applicable yet. 

On 7/24/2019 at 5:35 PM, Malapropismic Depository said:

Despite just going on PUP and everything he's been through, Smith shows up to camp on-time.

Seen getting off team bus in crutches.

I will still where my new Alex Smith Jersey this season..

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly,

It is a shame wasted career going through offensive systems in 9ers land.  Wish him the best I doubt he plays again.  I would assume Haskins is hitched to Gruden’s future , and the pressure to play the kid is overwhelming.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Can’t believe that was 1 year ago today....

and we STILL almost beat the Texans that game, had the refs actually called defensive pass interference.

i always wonder if we would have won the division had smith not gotten injured. I think we do. 

Who knows, maybe smith competes with Haskins in minicamps and training camp for the starting role next season. I’d actually like to see that. 

2 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

i always wonder if we would have won the division had smith not gotten injured. I think we do. 

If we did it honestly would have set the franchise back 5 years.

We truly needed a year like this to sort of take pause and truly gauge where the franchise stands. 

Count me as one of those that said he was finished.  He was limping heavily just earlier in the season, so the fact he's running a few weeks later is amazing.  Clearly he's determined and putting in the work.  I was floored by that video.  

It's 8 months until training camp.  He's come a long way just in the couple months since the season started.

Say they put him on PUP and give him a couple more months on top of the 8.  Him being in uniform is not as crazy as I thought.  

Being conservative, even if he takes all of next year to get even more right, could he not be somebody's backup in 2021?  He'll be 37, which isnt crazy.  Say, Andy Reid does him a solid and he flips roles with Mahomes and is his backup.  They pulled Matt Moore out of retirement after a couple years.   

34 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

We didn't beat a team all year that put 23+ points up against us.  The record would have been the same.  

You can’t say that for sure though. That’s just what you THINK would’ve happened. 

My prediction is we would’ve beaten Dallas on thanksgiving, Philly in the MNF game, and probably the titans game as well. And possibly even the giants game at home. That’s at least 4 extra wins. 

Point is, nobody knows for absolute certain what our record would’ve been, had Alex smith stayed healthy. 

As much as I'm heartened to see Alex Smith recover from that gruesome injury, I think he would have to be off his rocker to contemplate playing in the NFL again. Compound fractures may heal, but I doubt they are ever as strong as before the injury occurred. He would have to be thinking about that every time he dropped back to pass, and can you imagine what would happen if he was in another pileup and got his leg twisted?

Even worse, imagine running into a team coached by Gregggg Williams, who will send his goons after his right leg in an effort to get him out of the game. I wouldn't put it above Williams to do that...would you, based on his track record?

Please take care of yourself, Alex, and go into coaching. Breaking that leg a second time could lead to amputation, especially if he's cared for by the Redskins medical staff. Come to think of it, if he broke his right leg again, I could see the Redskins doctors amputating his left leg by mistake.

Archived