Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alex Smith Actual Status

Atlantaskinsfan18

I have been reading (and looking for anything related to A. Smith true status). Is it even remotely possible he could return in 19 with rehab etc..? I realize the severity of his injury but can not seem to find a definitive answer to the basic question -- Is it career needing? Do the skins think he will be back? 

I read on facebook where a guy (non football player) suffered the same injury and didn't even RUN for two years. 

Any links or podcasts etc...that address this specifically would be appreaciated. 

FWIW Colt will sling the ball around more but we will pay for that. 

I saw Gruden talk about it on his Coach's Show this week. He said they'll know more as thing progress and after his surgery. I'm assuming the surgery must've happened by now, though? Gruden seemed pretty cryptic about it as if to suggest it could be possible that he wouldn't return. Don't get me wrong, he wasn't saying that was the case, but he talked as if it's a distinct possibility depending on the severity of the injury. Larry Michael said that Alex wants to come back soon and do his podcast again, so we'll know more in the near future, I imagine. 

With this injury I'd assume a minimum 12 month rehab. Could he be ready sooner? No idea. Not a doctor. But if he does, consider it a "bonus". Might even be longer than 12 months. Could be 18 months. 24 months. Retirement. But I wouldn't assume anything less than 12 months.

It is likely career ending. The number of people able to just walk normally again after an injury like this is not a long list, much less being able to play NFL football at a high level. 

Having said that, Alex is a work out warrior and is in excellent shape physically. Ultimately no one will know anything for at least a few months. 

I suffered a similar injury about 4 years ago. Tib/fib, clean break.

If i were a professional athlete i could see recovering in an 8-12 month period.

No way in hell id be anywhere near where i was before though. Smith's injury was worse then mine too. 

I wish Alex only the best with his recovery. He's a stand up guy and will hopefully find a way to play again.

That being said, at his age, this could certainly be a career-ender. The issue for the team is that they likely won't have a better idea until next season. Realistically, I see Alex still recovering 12 months from now and eating up $22M of cap... Unless he does the selfless thing and retires, which I don't expect, it will put this team in a hole.

This is from Pro Football Doc.  He thinks there's a good possibility Smith will be ready for the start of the 2019 season.  

He also says:  "Even though Monday's revelations [spiral fracture] make Smith’s injury seem worse than initially reported, it really should not be seen that way. Any injury of this magnitude makes it potentially career threatening, but I am confident Smith can play again if he chooses."

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/profootballdoc/sd-sp-pfd-alex-smith-leg-fracture-rehab-redskins-1120-story.html

I already thought Alex was skittish in the pocket.  I can't even imagine what the psychological/emotional ramifications are going to be for him or any QB coming back from such an injury.  The orthopedic repairs they can make these days with top notch surgeons are amazing. I get that.  I imagine compared to the Theismann days they are miraculous.

But you are never going to convince me he is not going to be super anxious back there, with his newly constructed leg, extended time off, the whole getting in sync again.   He was never comfortable to begin with. This just compounds the problem IMO.

My prediction here is that this contract with Alex Smith is simply going to go down as yet another whiff of magnanimous proportions just like the RG3 mess. 

3 hours ago, Dissident2 said:

I saw Gruden talk about it on his Coach's Show this week. He said they'll know more as thing progress and after his surgery. I'm assuming the surgery must've happened by now, though? Gruden seemed pretty cryptic about it as if to suggest it could be possible that he wouldn't return. Don't get me wrong, he wasn't saying that was the case, but he talked as if it's a distinct possibility depending on the severity of the injury. Larry Michael said that Alex wants to come back soon and do his podcast again, so we'll know more in the near future, I imagine. 

He had surgery the same day as the injury. Various reports said it was successful, several medical advancements etc...media seemed to think he was out 6-8 months. No ligament damage etc..

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

So we got some people saying he may play for us in this year's Super Bowl, and some saying his career is done.

That's a pretty wide range of diagnoses lol

That was the reason for my original post. There is no real concrete info out there. Very mum about the future. 

Nothing would surprise me. I think he should retire, but my guess is he will not. I'm just not that lucky. 

From what I know of him, he's very stubborn, and he loves "the rush" of playing. ( which may seem ironic to some, considering his style of play )

He needs to look at his wife, 3 boys, bank account.. and make the smart decision. Will he? doubt it. In his mind, I bet he's eager to get back in there... prove to the team and fans that he can and will earn that contract handed out. :( 

Gruden first told it would be 6-8 months.

Latest reports are saying it's more 8-10 months.

But doctors are playing it safe with a day-to-day approach. So I'm thinking it's now completly out of the realm of possibilities that Alex Smith never plays a down again. (Which would suck because the guy never deserved that).

I'm hoping he comes back at some time, but I don't think he'll be ready for 2019. 2020 might be a better option.

At the very least, if he decided to retire, I'd like to have him play one last down before retiring. Because no player should stop their career on such kind of injury. No one.

Alex Smith should do what is best for Alex Smith and that would be, in my opinion, to call it a career as a football player. He seems to have the ability and personality to parlay his playing career into a non playing career either in or out of football. As far as the Redskins are concerned, just another example of how useless Bruce Allen is to be so short sighted as to assume that Smith would be indestructible and further proof that the Redskins under the Snyder regime are pure smoke and mirrors. The other amazing aspect is how little practice and preparation that Colt McCoy got. Again, this is the National Football League as in professional football as in a full time job. And they can't figure out a way to keep the backup QB up to speed?

I think we have to remember that some injuries are career ending because they cannot be recovered from, and some are career ending because, after recovery, you're just not valuable to a team. 

Let's assume he is medically cleared to fully play in 10 months. That would be the middle of next season. What does that meaningfully look like for the team? Are you activating him off the PUP and starting him in Week 9? I think the Bears did that with Rex Grossman in 2005. 

What if he isn't medically cleared to play at all in the 2019 season? Or he's medically cleared late, but the games are meaningless (we are the Redskins after all), and so he just never plays? Or he's not cleared in time to come off the PUP so he goes on IR and never plays? If he doesn't play in 2019 at all, do we even want him for 2020? 

Let's not pretend for a moment that he was a franchise QB having a good year when he got hurt...

By looking at the still shots of the break it looks almost identical to the injury I had, I was 22 at the time and playing soccer in college. I broke the same 2 bones in the right leg and it was right at the ankle just as Alex's was.  I don't remember them saying it was a spiral break but it was a compound fracture and the surgery was very long because the tendons and ligaments were wrapped around the broken bone fragments.

I'm 45 now and my ankle feels great, the problem is that it took about 1 1/2 to 2 years before it felt normal but once I was through that phase I was running full court games of basketball for almost a decade with no issue.  I still have a 7-inch steel plate in that ankle and they left 2 of the 5 screws in the leg.

So there's no doubt it will heal and will be fine but the issue is Alex's age, by the time he feels normal again he will be 36, I think next year will be a year where he tries to get back his confidence in that leg and its hard to imagine him being ready to play week one after missing the entire offseason program.

Its the timing of the injury (late season) mixed in with his age that creates an issue, I don't think there is any question about the leg healing and becoming strong enough to eventually play again, if he were much younger he would be fine.

Here is a question:

A lot of people comparing this to the Theismann injury.  So for starters, what is the difference between the two injuries? Was Theismann's career ending because he was 35 when it happened or was it because he would legitimately never be able to play the same again?  I was a child during that era so I don't know any of the details.  Also how long after the injury did Joe officially retire? Were there initial murmurings that he'd possibly return if the injury healed?

Theismann tried to come back two years later IIRC.  Just wasnt better at that point than Schroeder.

I dont Smith can play in 19, and then he'll be 36 years old in 20 with a repaired leg.

Its a disaster for the team cap wise unless he retires.  If he doesnt, the cap hit will essentially cripple the team until 2021.  Bravo Dan and Bruce.

Archived