Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alex Smith Actual Status

Atlantaskinsfan18

Good news and in his shoes I would care less about how the next step effects the Redskins one way or another.  Take care of your health first.  If that means its safe to play football and that's what he wants to do -- then do that.  If it means that he's concerned moving forward for whatever reason, then don't play.  Football is a dangerous sport, its not his fault that the Redskins gave him 3.5 years of guaranteed money.  In baseball, everyone has guaranteed money and the sport isn't nearly as dangerous. 

But yeah my concern was an infection -- I know in an ugly way from someone close to me -- can effect your whole health and put your life in jeopardy.  Him being released means he's likely out of the woods on that front, and that's the key.  Glad he can be home for the holidays with his young kids. 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Good news and in his shoes I would care less about how the next step effects the Redskins one way or another.  Take care of your health first.  If that means its safe to play football and that's what he wants to do -- then do that.  If it means that he's concerned moving forward for whatever reason, then don't play.  Football is a dangerous sport, its not his fault that the Redskins gave him 3.5 years of guaranteed money.  In baseball, everyone has guaranteed money and the sport isn't nearly as dangerous. 

But yeah my concern was an infection -- I know in an ugly way from someone close to me -- can effect your whole health and put your life in jeopardy.  Him being released means he's likely out of the woods on that front, and that's the key.  Glad he can be home for the holidays with his young kids. 

Speaking of home.. he has family(parents, siblings)right here where I live.. his brother owns an electrical contracting company here... I was at a convenience store the other day and a guy came in with a Utah Utes hat on and one of the contracting companies jackets on and I asked him if he was a fan of Alex Smith and he just kind of looked at me and grinned and said yeah I'm a fan of his.. I told him I was a Redskins fan and he laughed and said oh yeah are you a fan of Mark Sanchez... I laughed my ass off it was great.

9 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I’m really glad Smith is out of the hospital. That’s a good sign he’ll live and not lose his leg.  

Very good call man...sorry just a click on the like button wasn't good enough for me..I wanted to post what you said but now I don't have to

36 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Start the timer now for Qbr metrics, yardage totals, ALEX stat to be posted and dominate this thread. Of course these postings will be made with a disclaimer of “hope he gets better for his family”.

Believe it or not, folks are capable of separating football from real life.  I’ve watched a lot of folks wear burgundy and gold that I don’t enjoy watching play football, yet never wished ill will on any of them.  

10 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Believe it or not, folks are capable of separating football from real life.  I’ve watched a lot of folks wear burgundy and gold that I don’t enjoy watching play football, yet never wished ill will on any of them.  

Just having a little fun.

I’m with you that folks are capable of separating football from real life. In no way was I implying you or any others wished for anything negative to happen. My apologies if you felt that was implied. 

I enjoy the psychology of it and when it will be “okay” to get back to negative talk about Alex lol. I’m truly not trying to say I’m any different just because I fall on side of being a supporter of our average to above average QB. 

5 minutes ago, wit33 said:

I enjoy the psychology of it and when it will be “okay” to get back to negative talk about Alex lol. I’m truly not trying to say I’m any different just because I fall on side of being a supporter of our average to above average QB. 

Psychology is a funny thing, I think most people just say canned responses because they feel they have to, the reality is even if the worst case scenario happened and Alex lost his leg, he would still have a better life (family, money, fame, resources) than 95% of the people who feel sorry for him.

15 hours ago, wit33 said:

Just having a little fun.

I’m with you that folks are capable of separating football from real life. In no way was I implying you or any others wished for anything negative to happen. My apologies if you felt that was implied. 

Fixed it for you. It's really funny how you're they guy actually bringing that up now, isn't it? Can't stop pushing your agenda for one moment, eh?

Honestly, I hope that this thread ends up being about one thing, and one thing only. His recovery. As for his play? Well, he's done for this year, and there are big questions about him being able to come back from this. And there were enough threads elsewhere to talk about his level of play, and IF we're ever in a position to even talk about it, it will be months and months away, and likely not even this next season. So there is absolutely no reason to talk about it now, and I don't think this threat is a really appropriate place.

I think the important thing is that Alex recovers from this. It had to be a nightmare. I just hope that he is able to come back and be healthy long term. Not for the Redskins, but for his family.

15 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

Psychology is a funny thing, I think most people just say canned responses because they feel they have to, the reality is even if the worst case scenario happened and Alex lost his leg, he would still have a better life (family, money, fame, resources) than 95% of the people who feel sorry for him.

I disagree. If you're an athlete and have that taken away from him, that's horrible. Even if you're an average person, and you end up loosing a leg, it's devastating. You have to learn how to do a bunch of stuff, and there is a bunch of stuff you'll never do again. Oh, he might have money.....but as a dad to 2 young boys, I'm sure he rather have his leg and be able to teach them to throw a football, than have a big house.

Priorities, man.

So glad to hear he’s headed home!

Sepsis is no joke. I had it and was on IV antibiotics for 6 weeks. Thankfully I was able to do it at home. I’m pretty sure he’s going to be doing the same. Just so glad he’s alive and healthy enough to go home. 

Keep healing and fighting Alex!

HTTR

From what I read he has multiple surgeries left and that's not counting any future surgeries that might be needed to remove more infection.

"The original implants needed to be removed, as once metal is contaminated, it makes it very hard to cure the infection without its removal.

It will be multiple weeks before more definitive fracture fixation can finally be done. Smith is headed for several more surgeries.

The next worry is coverage of the fracture. Multiple debridement surgeries means the loss of skin and tissue. The question is will he have enough to cover the underlying bone. By video, the fracture is likely more distal (towards the ankle). One can feel your own lower leg and see that it is mostly skin and bone around the ankle, as opposed to higher up where the bone is harder to feel and more easily covered by muscle. At a minimum, Smith will need two more surgeries. One will be to close the wound and the other to remove the fixture and fix the fracture. He could have many more if there is enough damage or loss of skin.

If he needs a skin graft, that cannot be applied directly to the bone. One needs to transfer or move muscle."

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/profootballdoc/sd-sp-pfd-alex-smith-injury-recovery-career-1209-story.html

9 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

That's why I don't care about the kneeling stuff. If I don't like it I don't watch it. I really could care less. I just watch the game for the game. But back to Alex, glad he's on the mend.

• 5 months later...

Archived