Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I'm Not Mad...

Renegade7

I'm not numb, I'm not indifferent, I'm not done, I'm not pissed.  I've been mulling this for like a day now and it hit me after the hit in the helmet call that got missed on Reed, watching him throw his helmet.  The best analogy I can think of I brought up in RTT is that this whole season has felt like watching an underdog boxer hit the mat multiple times but keep getting back up.  Not only that, but winning a couple rounds as well.

I'm at the point that at any given moment I know they might not get off the mat.  But i really haven't been this proud of this team in a minute.  Maybe for a game here or there where they won a game they wasn't supposed to win, buy this whole season has felt that way, where we've had multiple games were weren't supposed to win but did anyway.

Of course i am frustrated by our QB situation, and injuries we saw coming hurting our season again.  I really hope Bruce doesn't come back, but i hope Jay does.  We already have a thread about replacing him and give him ZERO credit for holding this together with an ineffective QB then even with a backup QB and losing multiple starters on offense they can still move the ball.  That offensive system works, it was one of few strengths we had when we went to the playoffs, i see how it can be a strength again with right QB.  Will Jay ever get that guy, i don't know anymore, but i saw that look on the Dallas players faces when we were driving over and over again in fourth quarter, I've seen that look before.

I can already see how this is going to go, people will come in and say I'm an apologist, a homer, an optimist separated from reality.  I'm not and you shouldn't be either.  I just know I'm tired of looking for signs of the Apocolypse like this is the end of any other season, because this is not like any season we've had in a while and it's NOT OVER.  Eliminate us first.

I'm not going to talk about the next coach until this season is over.  I'm not going root for loses to help our draft status.  I'm not going walk into every game expecting a loss.  This particular team this season has earned the right for us to not give up on them until they give up in themselves.  You will get no support from me on any of your "i told you so talk" wishful thinking wish hopefully true posts.  The day they can't get off the mat this year should get a respectful round of applause all things considered.

I'm going to the Philly finale regardless of our record to get one last time to see them and say thanks. This might be the year that gets people back in the stadium, but them not giving a damn won't be the reason i won't go, and ad a fan, that's what i ask for first.  If some of y'all want to tear apart this franchise for everything that's gone wrong, i can't stop you.  But life is very much about appreciating what you have gotten right as well. 

Yesterday was Thanksgiving and i was thankful that other teams fans see what's going on and saying same thing to me.  What are you thankful for? Or are you too mad to be thankful for any of it?

Interesting post. Love your spirit. I’m thankful for many things that have nothing to do with football (which is a good thing). With our Skins, I just miss having confidence in them. It has been so long. So very very long that I’ve felt confident in this team. Every time I want to believe, they manage to get their asses handed to them. It’s just so damn frustrating, and at least for me, it makes me as a defense mechanism, care a little bit less (and sometimes much less) about them. It’s just too painful to watch them suck year after year. I will always watch every game and always root hard. I just wish I saw some light at the end of the tunnel with this team, and there never seems to be any. 

How many times have you giving something everything you had and failed anyway?  That's how i feel watching this team this year when they lose now, impossible for me to get mad at them go forward for this season.  I'll talk about next year next year.

1 minute ago, skins4eva said:

Interesting post. Love your spirit. I’m thankful for many things that have nothing to do with football (which is a good thing). With our Skins, I just miss having confidence in them. It has been so long. So very very long that I’ve felt confident in this team. Every time I want to believe, they manage to get their asses handed to them. It’s just so damn frustrating, and at least for me, it makes me as a defense mechanism, care a little bit less (and sometimes much less) about them. It’s just too painful to watch them suck year after year. I will always watch every game and always root hard. I just wish I saw some light at the end of the tunnel with this team, and there never seems to be any. 

I don't blame you.  Writing is on the wall that QB situation want get resolved in immediate future.  I hope I'm wrong so making most of this season in the meantime.

This is a great post. 

This is NOT the same ole Redskins and it hasn’t been that way since Jay arrived. We’ve taken a big step. We’ve gone from laughingstock to competitively mediocre. No, that doesn’t sound exciting but it’s still a step. Taking that NEXT step is proving difficult, but after 25 years I’m willing to wait a little longer. 

The team plays hard, they seem to care, and we’ve mafe better personell decisions as well. They’ve been dealt some blows on the injury front that go a bit beyond what you can reasonably prepare for. 

And there are also legitimate concerns and legitimate criticisms. 

But the factoid being talked about today is pretty striking and shouldn’t be overlooked:

Since 1991, we have been in first place in the division heading into December THREE times. THREE. 

1996, 1999, and now 2018. 

Being 6-5 and in first in the division is NOT same ole Redskins. 

I totally get why some aren’t overly jazzed. The games are a grind. It’s not pretty football and it can be frustrating. They still do some dumb things. They still made mistakes and get beat. 

But for me, at VERY least I believe this team deserves my attention as a fan. Whether or not I really “believe” in them doesn’t matter. What matters is that if they DO beat Philly they are in really good shape. The game absolutely matters. For me, I’ll take December games that matter. 

Its not about being being an apologist or trying to convince people the Redskins are something they are not. It’s just about what is right in front of us and the very simple fact that the Redskins play the Eagles on December 3rd and the game is important to the Redskins— they have something to play for; so therefore I have something to root for. Period. 

I always root for the skins and am disappointed when they lose, but also consider the long term.  Basically, our top player on offense, Trent Williams, and defense, Kerrigan, seem to have short windows of playing at a top level.  (3 years-Kerrigan a bit longer maybe).  My difficulty with Jay is he is just wrong, (good enough to be competitive, and not good enough to get us over the top when we have a g.m. who has the football I.Q. of a Grapefruit and an owner who has the football I.Q. of a Rotifer. I think we are a few years away from even knowing if we can be competitive consistently as a playoff team and a potential Super Bowl contender as we need to find a Q.B.  To me the most important issues at this time are whether or not Cooper is the answer at guard, is Dix going to be the answer at free safety,  and if Preston Smith deserves a decent long term contract.  Secondary, if Cooper is an answer, getting an o-line for the future to protect our Q.B. of the future.  Additionally, getting a MLB to play along with Brown.  These should be our goals for year 3.  Normans contract and Smith contract should be gone by then.  We will have cap space to fill holes.  There will be time to see if our young receivers will develop.  To tell the truth, I have no idea about Doctson.  If he had a Q.B. who was willing to thread the needle, would he be a very good receiver?  Again, I feel horrible when the Redskins lose; my consolation is that if it gets Allen fired, and a good draft position for a new regime, I can take a moment to feel good

1 hour ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

yeah, i hear you bro, but we are the perennial underdog due to bad coaching and poor management.

Ya that's getting old, but underdogs don't always win, the point is we are winning a lot of those games that we should be losing this year, that's new.

lots of football to be played yet, the team has time now to rebound before going up to Philly, Cowboys will get steam rolled by the Saints next Thursday. Skins should be back in 1st with 4 to go. With all the offensive line injuries and of course Smith going down, a division title and playoff berth would be a heck of an accomplishment for this season. :229:

The are Skins are just meh to me.  I feel that we are currently repeating the Norv Turner era.  Mediocrity.  I didn't to need any more time with Jay to know, we aren't achieving anything with him.  This season hasn't been enjoyable because I just see our 6-3 record; just feasting on at the time; some weaker teams.  WE saw how we played against the better teams.  Now, Dallas has turned things around and could win the division..  That nice start is just going to lead to a playoff loss.

Injuries will be the excuse given; when Jay is retained.  Then in 2019 when Dallas is probably better than this year and Philly bounces back; the Skins fall to third or 4th place.   Then in 2020, we finally see the end of Jay. 

All, I see is mediocrity continueing for  more years.  Jay has a ceiling.   I want him gone, even if he makes the playoffs.  He won't be gone, he'd probably get a contract extension if he makes the playoffs.

Jay took us to one point and that's all.  If we want to go beyond mediocrity, we need a new regime.  It could fail miserablely; but I'd be more excited in a new era, than watching the same crap Jay has been feeding us.

I am pretty indifferent.  Don't get me wrong, I am still rooting for the team and watching every minute.  But I am not upset when they lose, I've just kinda been conditioned for disappointment.  

I said this before a few weeks ago, I am just always waiting for the other shoe to drop.  It happens all the time.  If we ever have something good going on, it doesn't last.  Can't have a team with back to back playoff seasons.  Can't have a team win 6 games, then on the verge of the playoffs and just implode.  ST21.  RG3.  McVay.  Guice.  Kirk.  Alex Smith.  Depleted offensive line.  AP is slowing down after being a savior for the first part of the year.  I'm probably forgetting examples, I'm sure others can contribute.

And so the other shoe has dropped.  Or is dropping?  

It's just par for the course around here.  Even if Alex Smith stayed healthy, even if the line was still good, even if we finished 10-6....hell, even if we DO finish 10-6, it just looks like a mirage to me.  As others have pointed out, it's a mediocre team at best.

I think gruden has a ceiling here. I don’t mean that in a bad management way, though the argument is easily had. What I mean, is that his brand has gotten this team as far as he can take it. He’s used up all his authority here to take us to 7-9, 8-7-1, 9-7... players start tuning out the same message.. like what happened with the seahacks before they started cutting all their old star players. The issue is for gruden, unlike Pete carrol, is that we don’t have a franchise qb.... so there’s nothing/no one to build a new team around. He needs to leave as much as we need him to leave.

we haven’t been more that a couple games over 500 since 1991...

43 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

Redskins record after 11 games, post-Gibbs 1.0:

8-3: 1996

7-4: 1999 (DIV), 2000, 2008

6-4-1: 2016

6-5: 1997, 2018 (?)

5-6: 2001, 2002, 2005 (WC), 2007 (WC), 2010, 2012 (DIV), 2015 (DIV), 2017

4-7: 2003, 2006, 2011

3-8: 1995, 2004, 2009, 2013, 2014

2-9: 1993, 1994, 1998

So, our best shot is to go 5-6 every year?

50 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

Redskins record after 11 games, post-Gibbs 1.0:

8-3: 1996

7-4: 1999 (DIV), 2000, 2008

6-4-1: 2016

6-5: 1997, 2018 (?)

5-6: 2001, 2002, 2005 (WC), 2007 (WC), 2010, 2012 (DIV), 2015 (DIV), 2017

4-7: 2003, 2006, 2011

3-8: 1995, 2004, 2009, 2013, 2014

2-9: 1993, 1994, 1998

This is why I’m OK with Jay... he’s made us better. Now, “better” for us considering our history isn’t exactly a high bar, but it’s something. The difference between me and others is that I’m not yet 100% convinced he CAN’T take that next step and I am fine giving him at least one more opportunity beyond this year. I think he’s earned it. 

While I’ve said many times I get the frustration or even the lack of enthusiasm from some fans, I  really don’t get the “even if we go 10-6 and win the division....” stuff. I mean when did we reach a point for the Redskins where division titles were “meh.” I guess we could keep moving te goal posts and say “even if we win our playoff game we won’t beat the Rams,” or “even if we beat the Rams we won’t beat the Saints,” etc. For me, I’ll take playoffs, period. Maybe something cool happens when you get there. 

Am I on cloud 9 whistling Hail to  the Redskins walking down the street over this team? Absolutely not. 

I am content to a point where I find them enjoyable and easy to root for? Absolutely. 

After 25 years I’ll take that baby step. 

13 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Of course i am frustrated by our QB situation, and injuries we saw coming hurting our season again.  I really hope Bruce doesn't come back,

Agree with this.

but i hope Jay does.  We already have a thread about replacing him and give him ZERO credit for holding this together with an ineffective QB then even with a backup QB and losing multiple starters on offense they can still move the ball.  That offensive system works, it was one of few strengths we had when we went to the playoffs, i see how it can be a strength again with right QB.  Will Jay ever get that guy, i don't know anymore, but i saw that look on the Dallas players faces when we were driving over and over again in fourth quarter, I've seen that look before.

Agree with this, too.

This particular team this season has earned the right for us to not give up on them until they give up in themselves.  You will get no support from me on any of your "i told you so talk" wishful thinking wish hopefully true posts.  The day they can't get off the mat this year should get a respectful round of applause all things considered.

For me on this I agree with the point if the focus is squarely on the offensive side of the ball.  On the defensive side of the ball -- some early season bragging from their unit after a good start.  And they are fading even though they are fairly healthy on that side of the ball.  I don't think they have much to be prideful about on that side of the ball if they keep playing the way they have of late -- I'd feel better if they were more humble earlier on.  But the offense is scrappy and has been ravaged with injuries.  I think Brewer hit the nail on the head when Norman called out the fans that it smacked of old school Redskins where they wanted to be talked up as if they arrived before they did. 

This season feels a lot like the 2016 season where we had a stretch where we felt good, recall the win against the Packers and then ironically the loss on Thanksgiving to Dallas.  They ended up fading in the stretch but there were points during that season where it felt playoffs where just about guaranteed.  At similar junctures in that season to this season.  Record was similar at different points to this season, too.

Having said that, this team can rewrite the story.  I am not optimistic or pessimistic but back to my default position before the season -- agnostic.  I really don't know or have a good feel for it.  But if the defense continues to play poorly, I don't have a lot of good will about that unit doing the best they can, etc.  Offense -- different story.   The defense can turn it around though -- they got enough of the horses IMO.  Will see.

@Skinsinparadise on the defense i get where are coming from.  I'll add that I didn't think they would be top 5 unit before season started so when all the sudden it happened think it caught a lot of people of guard.  That does not excuse them feelin themselves.

It's tough because before the Houston game I wanted to start a thread about our pass defense, because their ranking had dropped to the low 20s, bringing our overall ranking to like 17th in the league.  Given what we did to our corner depth, you can argue we went from overacheiving to overrated to probably what we shoulda been all along in the period of about two and half months.  That Houston game showed that it still had the potential, Watson was on fire up that point and we were all over him.

Watching the Redskins pre-game before the Dallas game I wanted to turn it off because they were hyping McCoy too much.  I knew it was going to be bad if we lost, people that got so high might go the opposite direction on him in only 4 days.  I'm trying to avoid those swings with the defense, they can do better I hope they better, but this is about what I thought they'd be now before the season started, really good run stopping team who I can't trust to consistently stop passing games.

The offense was never supposed to be this badand gotten better and the defense was never supposed to be that good then fell back to earth.  Turnover battle will determine where we go from here, because that sounds like a 500 team, but not if we keep killing our drives and putting our defense in a bad spot.  We've all seen how that goes in previous seasons.

7 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Jay took us to one point and that's all.  If we want to go beyond mediocrity, we need a new regime.  It could fail miserablely; but I'd be more excited in a new era, than watching the same crap Jay has been feeding us.

In all fairness, it's damn near impossible be anything better then mediocre without a legit franchise QB.  Everyone thought McCarthy was a genius in Green Bay with those Rodgers offenses, not anymore.  People having been murmering about Tomlin for a minute now, but as long as Big Ben is saving their ass and winning games, he's safe.  

This isn't really to say that we can't do better, but it won't matter without other factors and we will notice less if those factors are addressed.  Whatever happens happens with Jay being retained, but lets be real, I don't care who your coach is if you don't have either an elite QB or historically good defense you will NOT win a super bowl in the 21st century.  Jay has had neither to protect him or hide his deficiencies as a coach like other coaches have.

8 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

In all fairness, it's damn near impossible be anything better then mediocre without a legit franchise QB.  Everyone thought McCarthy was a genius in Green Bay with those Rodgers offenses, not anymore.  People having been murmering about Tomlin for a minute now, but as long as Big Ben is saving their ass and winning games, he's safe.  

This isn't really to say that we can't do better, but it won't matter without other factors and we will notice less if those factors are addressed.  Whatever happens happens with Jay being retained, but lets be real, I don't care who your coach is if you don't have either an elite QB or historically good defense you will NOT win a super bowl in the 21st century.  Jay has had neither to protect him or hide his deficiencies as a coach like other coaches have.

This is a good point.  Coaching and game plan give you a chance to win but, in a sizable percentage of games, all that becomes secondary and you need your Qb to make plays off-schedule in the last two minutes if you want to win the close games...the big games.

Thats really the difference between a .500 coach and .700 coach.

26 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

This is a good point.  Coaching and game plan give you a chance to win but, in a sizable percentage of games, all that becomes secondary and you need your Qb to make plays off-schedule in the last two minutes if you want to win the close games...the big games.

Thats really the difference between a .500 coach and .700 coach.

A franchise QB gets you to 7 wins no matter what.  We had that in Kirk and thats what we got.  He has 0 supporting cast outside of 2015 and we had 9 wins that year and easily could have won 11-12 with a legit defense.  I dont know how hard that is it to comphrend with our track record.  Now we dont have a franchise QB but a relative good defense, the only way to win now is to allow other teams to make turnovers and let them beat themselves.  This team isn't suited to beat high powered offense (saints, falcons) but able to squeeze wins against good 1 dimensional teams (panthers, packers).  

Archived