Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who should be the next head coach for the Skins

ClaytoAli

3 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Dan is going to hire Condi Rice. What better way to fill those seats, than with a woman coach.  

You're joking (I think) but it would fit for what counts for logic in Snyder's mind. "I've tried coordinators, college coaches, big names, up and comers, retreads....who's none of those things?"

36 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

he was around in the early 2000's right? I woulda been a kid (around 6 or 7). from what I've heard about the guy im surprised he's still in the league.

Norv was HC from 1994-2000, when he was fired mid season. 

He was rhe Cowboys OC for the SB teams in the 90’s, and is an offensive genius.  Troy Aikman had Norv introduce him for his HOF induction.

He is almost exactly like Gruden as a head coach.  Really nice guys who players respected from an X’s ans O’s Perspective. His teams regularly underperformed.  He didn’t manage the games well, they lost as much as they won.

The main difference is Norv is a HOF calibre OC and Jay is pretty ok most of the time.  

3 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Until Bruce leaves or is fired I hope Gruden stays. 

Until we get a full authority GM with final say on the HC and roster and a proper front office structure under him - everything else is just moving the deck chairs around.

I used to have this point of view.

I no longer do. My rationale is that if Jay is fired and a Bruce stays, either he gets his Zorn and he’s done, he gets lucky and we win more, or he gets the next Jay and it all stays he same anyway.

Jay will never win anything of note because of his complete inability to prepare a team, pay attention to details, or manage a game.  Now that we know this essentially as an empirical fact, it’s time to move on.

Give somebody else a shot. Sure, it could get worse, but if you’re stuck in 8-8 la la land, who really cares if it gets worse?

5 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Until Bruce leaves or is fired I hope Gruden stays. 

Until we get a full authority GM with final say on the HC and roster and a proper front office structure under him - everything else is just moving the deck chairs around.

I was about to come in here to say pretty much the same thing.

I've said it before, I like Jay.  But this whole thing feels stale, top to bottom.  We know Dan isn't selling anytime soon but Allen's gotta go.  I dunno who'd come work for Dan but It's time for a change.  

3 hours ago, Birdlives said:

I don’t care about names. I just want a head coach who doesn’t run one side of the ball. I want a head coach. He runs the team and manages the game day stuff. The OC runs the offense and calls the plays etc.; the DC runs the defense and calls the plays etc. I want a guy who leads the entire team and not a glorified coordinator. No more Norv Turners’ and definitely no Gregg Williams’. And please please please, know how to manage the game; when to go for it, when to kick, how to manage the clock, and the time outs.

That's one of those things that sounds great, but you're just doubling the chance someone will poach your coaching staff on one side of the ball and force you to re-work everything, a la Shanahan leaving and a lost season for the Falcons. What you're talking about means that is possible on both sides of the ball. Whereas when we lost McVay, we obviously lost a lot, but Gruden stayed the man in charge of that unit and at least the system remained.

The best Has today are all guys who are mainly in charge of one side or the other, though you can argue that Belichick evolved to run both sides of the ball. But he's definitely back to being more in charge of the D now.

14 minutes ago, Hooper said:

No one has done better than Jay under Snyder. 

The problem starts way above the head coach.

Gibbs did better and in fewer years.  2 playoff appearances in 4 years with a playoff win.

Also. the 2 don’t have to be mutually exclusive. You can have a dysfunctional front office AND bad coaching making things even worse.  I actually appreciate what Gibbs 2.0 did cuz he had that moron Ceratto in the FO.  Allen is bad, but Cerrato may go down as the worst FO employee ever.

15 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I was about to come in here to say pretty much the same thing.

I've said it before, I like Jay.  But this whole thing feels stale, top to bottom.  We know Dan isn't selling anytime soon but Allen's gotta go.  I dunno who'd come work for Dan but It's time for a change.  

For the right price, Dan will sell. It’s going to have to be the right price near the $3B range.

15 hours ago, Hooper said:

No one has done better than Jay under Snyder. 

The problem starts way above the head coach.

Took a long time, Marty was close. But it doesn’t mean the Danny should settle on a perennial 8-8 coach either. He can get closer to a good coach that didn’t come from loser teams like Tampa or the Jets.

44 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Give somebody else a shot. Sure, it could get worse, but if you’re stuck in 8-8 la la land, who really cares if it gets worse?

If Bruce is picking the next HC it’s far more likely to get worse than better. 

Any HC change without a significant change in front office leadership and structure is highly unlikely to make much difference.

2 minutes ago, MartinC said:

If Bruce is picking the next HC it’s far more likely to get worse than better. 

Any HC change without a significant change in front office leadership and structure is highly unlikely to make much difference.

And I’m fine with it getting worse if it brings us closer to real change.

8-8 is absolutely pointless, and that’s about what it seems Gruden can max out with.

As much of an idiot Bruce is,  this is a poorly coached team, and leaves between 1-2 games on the field because they are poorly coached.

They should have had no less than 10 wins in 2016, probably 11.  

Even with the injuries, Gruden cost the team a chance to win both the KC and Saints games.

This year he’s blew the game management against the Texans, and the team has lost (and been embarrassed by) winnable games against the Colts, Falcons and even Texans.

Hes just a bad coach.  More of the same 8-8 stuff is pointless.  Even if Brice stays, worst case is he hires his version of Zorn.  That’s fine with me.  Means the whole lot of them will be shown the door in 1-2 years.

Best case he lucks out and gets a guy who can maximize the talents he’s given.

Regadless, we know what Jay is after almost 5 years, and it’s no better than he’s been. 

2 hours ago, ClaytoAli said:

For the right price, Dan will sell. It’s going to have to be the right price near the $3M range.

Took a long time, Marty was close. But it doesn’t mean the Danny should settle on a perennial 8-8 coach either. He can get closer to a good coach that didn’t come from loser teams like Tampa or the Jets.

Can we assume that is a typo? The most recent valuation of the team was at about $3.1B. So I am thinking you meant B not M. Not usually into pointing out typos as I am one of the worst ever. But this ones really changes the context. 

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Best case he lucks out and gets a guy who can maximize the talents he’s given.

Regadless, we know what Jay is after almost 5 years, and it’s no better than he’s been. 

The problem with this is you will still have Bruce making poor personnel decisions. Jay has his faults but we still do not have an abundance of talent. Last few drafts have been OK. But they horribly mismanage free agent decisions that could make a huge impact on the field. 

Any removal of Jay that does not include Bruce is a complete failure waiting to happen. He has had enough chances. Let a new GM pick his own HC and see what they can do. 

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

Any removal of Jay that does not include Bruce is a complete failure waiting to happen. He has had enough chances. Let a new GM pick his own HC and see what they can do. 

I completely agree with you, but at this point, I don’t care if Bruce stays or goes, Jay has to go.

A new GM should be hiring the new coach. Hopefully that’s what happens.

24 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

If we don't win this awful division, especially after having a 2 game lead, then Jay must go.

We should have won it already... we've already lost it.  We may find our way to being in 1st place at the end of the season, but we've already lost the division once this year.  

Three teams in the conference have a better record than the Redskins. Currently still have a playoff spot and plenty of football left. The injuries and lack of depth on the offense have been totally brutal. Next man up theory only goes so far but to some every team wins without its playmakers. We ignore how he has managed to stack up 6 wins with that mash of an o-line unit. That is kind of a big deal to do. When they were winning it was ugly and lucky people say. So tired of it all. Why are we ready to fold this season up and throw it away? People were not happy when we were winning and now pissed that we are losing. This guy is not going to get a fair shake here nor is any other head coach. When you get people wishing for a Shanahan you know its bad. I wish we could find a new fan base instead of coach. 

1 hour ago, kingdaddy said:

If we don't win this awful division, especially after having a 2 game lead, then Jay must go.

I tend to agree with you. But unless we lose out jay isnt going anywhere. Once again injuries are going to save Jay's job. I actually dont think Jay is a horrible coach. But at some point someone has to take the fall for mediocrity. And that wont be Bruce.

14 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I used to have this point of view.

I no longer do. My rationale is that if Jay is fired and a Bruce stays, either he gets his Zorn and he’s done, he gets lucky and we win more, or he gets the next Jay and it all stays he same anyway.

Jay will never win anything of note because of his complete inability to prepare a team, pay attention to details, or manage a game.  Now that we know this essentially as an empirical fact, it’s time to move on.

But this is about where I stand... just hope Bruce is in the same Uber to Dulles on the way out of town.... maybe they both end up in Vegas.  

11 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I completely agree with you, but at this point, I don’t care if Bruce stays or goes, Jay has to go.

A new GM should be hiring the new coach. Hopefully that’s what happens.

Well if Jay is fired and Bruce stays then that is the scariest thought I've read around here for quite some time.

If you want to kill Jay to shot Bruce down. Fine, go ahead. But Jay being the scapegoat will take us backward fast as you'll probably won't find a great coach to come here.

You seem fine watching seasons of crappy football, which I really doubt, I'm not sure I want to lose time struggling to reach 5-11 for a few years then to get rid of Bruce.

If you can Jay then you take Bruce with him. Otherwise it would be a terrible mistake.

Archived