Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ClaytoAli

Who should be the next head coach for the Skins

Recommended Posts

There will be no job opening. I think Snyder will buy the injury excuse for 2018 and keeo Jay one more year.

 

The Redskins literally maybe the worst job opening, if the job becomes available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't really have an answer to the OP's question, but I do know that next week, it shouldn't be Gruden. If we can work out a deal with Cincy so that they pay the remainder of the final year of his contract, then we're good to go. @Hooper mentioned the Bengals angle, and I think that's a strong possibility for his next destination. Nobody else would ever consider him as a HC right now, and Mike Brown likes in-house familiarity. Might as well get him outta here before the young talent we have is squandered any further, on both sides of the ball; that's important.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

The Redskins literally maybe the worst job opening, if the job becomes available.

 

There's rarely any such thing as a good job opening when a coach gets fired. :)

 

The thing is, you aren't looking at this from the perspective of a head coaching candidate.

 

I saw a story on Urban Meyer on espn yesterday when they where doing a retrospective on him (due to his retiring from Ohio State coaching job).

 

Meyer once related that back when he was a young, unproven WRs coach for Notre Dame that was coached by Lou Holtz, he got a job interview for the head coaching gig at Bowling Green.

 

The interview went real well, he was offered the position, but Meyer called Coach Holtz and told him he wasn't taking the job.

 

When Holtz asked him why, Meyer said it seemed like a bad job. Holtz replied to him "Look, good jobs don't open up in coaching. Only bad coaching jobs open up. Your job is to take a bad coaching job and turn it into a good coaching job".

 

Holtz then added "By the way, if a good coaching job did open up, why the hell would they call you?"

 

Meyer responded "Good point, coach. I'll take the job". The rest is college football history with Meyer.

 

This, to me, encapsulates the attitude of head coaches and head coaching candidates. The desire to , not only win, but to be able to turn something around that looks bad from the outside.

 

It's why I believe the Redskins won't have any trouble getting good head coaching candidates.

 

Should they decide to move on from Gruden at the end of this season, that is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Must we always do this?

 

At this point let him finish out his contract. What exactly did he do to detract from this team?  He is the one who actually had the balls to tell snyder to shut the hell up a bench RG3 for Cousins.

 

Outside of all the injuries this year... he didn't trade for Alex Smith, who is going to check down no matter what offensive scheme is getting called, and he wasn't the one to get us a mediocre WR corp. 

 

I think he has done pretty well with what he has had. Firing him will only detract from the team at this point (like it has for every other coach we have fired, other than Zorn). 

 

He will probably be fired because Allen and Snyder are perpetually looking for Scapegoats 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/7/2018 at 6:28 PM, Master Blaster said:

Haha I see you have no clue about these two. 

 

Bradley and Wash were teammates at NDSU in the 1980’s and won some NC’s together. Wash still holds the record for most sacks in the DII championship game. 

 

Wash was Bradley’s D-Line coach when Gus was DC at NDSU. Both got their first NFL at Tampa. When Bradley got Jacksonville job he brought Wash on his staff. They are best friends and have always coached together when possible. 

 

The scheme is a combination of the 8-man fronts from NDSU Bradley ran and the Tampa 2, similar to some concepts the 49ers ran in the 80’s. 

 

Yeah. It’s Bradley’s defense. 

I see you THINK you have a clue about them, because 20 years ago you played under them for a season.  Which leads to the extreme arrogance of both now thinking you are the authority on them, as well as that nothing has changed in 20 years.

 

We all know their history, most of us have web browsers.  Bradleys defense was quite poor, and Wash didnt end up as the DC until his last year.  Since then, the new HC has seen Wash's defense as much better than Bradleys, and kept him on.  Bradley's defense failed, Wash's has succeeded.

 

But yes, lets ALSO pretend that Belichick's deffense, and offense for that matter, is really just Bill Parcells, because a former assistant doing better things than their "master" has never happened....except the other thousand times it has.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are only 32 Head Coaching jobs in the NFL. Coaching the Washington Redskins, despite everything that's happened the last ~30 years, is still a premium position. This is a town that is still in love with Joe Gibbs and Sonny Jurgenson. You win here, you're a God.

 

But we'll need good management/FO support to attract anyone worth a damn or its gonna be a Jim Zorn scenario all over again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Skins199021 said:

Must we always do this?

 

At this point let him finish out his contract. What exactly did he do to detract from this team?  He is the one who actually had the balls to tell snyder to shut the hell up a bench RG3 for Cousins.

 

Outside of all the injuries this year... he didn't trade for Alex Smith, who is going to check down no matter what offensive scheme is getting called, and he wasn't the one to get us a mediocre WR corp. 

 

I think he has done pretty well with what he has had. Firing him will only detract from the team at this point (like it has for every other coach we have fired, other than Zorn). 

 

He will probably be fired because Allen and Snyder are perpetually looking for Scapegoats 

Scapegoat?  Are you kidding us?  He doesn’t adjust his play calling based on his players/talent.  Prime example is AP.  His career was built on vertical run plays, often out of an I formation.  Does Jay do this?  No, majority of run calls are lateral with him.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess the more pertinent question would be, could Belichick win with these players? If the answer is no, then it doesn't matter who comes in.

If the answer is yes, it doesn't matter who comes in because the Redskins are cursed. Being cursed is beyond understanding, therefore many regard it as ridiculous. But rest assured, anyone that comes to coach or play here is compromising themselves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s going to be Gruden for one more year. What quality coach in their right mind would come here? We have a lot of money tied up at the QB position and at this point I’m just hoping Alex Smith is able to walk normally again. So Gruden is back, then what? I really hope we don’t waste a high round draft pick on a QB selected by a coach who most likely won’t be around beyond a year. I’d rather we trade anyone of value away and eat a bag of **** next year ready to come back in 2019 with a full rebuild. New front office, new coaching, younger new players. Pretty much anyone other than our D-line and Tress Way can be had for a trade. They have resisted the full rebuild because they were afraid of losing the fans, well one look at the stadium each home game tells me that shouldn’t be an issue anymore. I like Jay Gruden, but he isn’t anything better than an 8-8 coach. Sure he can hit 10-6 if we get some bounces and some luck, but with no bounces and no luck can go 6-10. It’s just not good enough.

 

Whats really devasting is had McVay just made it one more year maybe he would have been our coach this year. I could have seen them axing Jay at the end of last year if he were still on staff and wanted the job. McVay is everything you would want in a young upcoming coach and it was probably divine intervention that took him out of DC before his career went up in flames here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gregg Williams.... we need a dictator, a tyrant, a disciplinarian.... 

yes, I know how he left.... but a new, strong, fresh GM could convince him to come back.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Skins199021 said:

Must we always do this?

 

At this point let him finish out his contract. What exactly did he do to detract from this team?  He is the one who actually had the balls to tell snyder to shut the hell up a bench RG3 for Cousins.

 

Outside of all the injuries this year... he didn't trade for Alex Smith, who is going to check down no matter what offensive scheme is getting called, and he wasn't the one to get us a mediocre WR corp. 

 

I think he has done pretty well with what he has had. Firing him will only detract from the team at this point (like it has for every other coach we have fired, other than Zorn). 

 

He will probably be fired because Allen and Snyder are perpetually looking for Scapegoats 

 

 

Theres 54 pages in the "Evaluating Jay Gruden" thread that will show you that Jay himself is due his fair share of criticism

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coulda had Sean McVay (and yes, I was for canning Gruden and elevating McVay if that's what it took to keep him.

 

For all the people who hate Snyder "meddling," the problem the last several years is he hasn't been impatient enough.  Everyone almost always gets another year.  Once Shanahan put RG3 back in there to be hurt, he should have been fired after the game.  Gruden should have been fired once McVay was looking for head coaching jobs.  

 

No retreads unless someone unexpected gets let go.  

 

And make sure to fire Bruce Allen, don't even keep him as "PR" president.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Jay’s a ****ty coach.  In all likelihood, we get another ****ty coach when Jay is gone because Dan Snyder.

It isn’t possible, though unlikely, Dan does something smart and Lafamina helps Dan find a quality GM, and they start to build respectability within the organization.

 

again.  Possible.  Unlikely.  But there is a chance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

It isn’t possible, though unlikely, Dan does something smart and Lafamina helps Dan find a quality GM, and they start to build respectability within the organization.

 

again.  Possible.  Unlikely.  But there is a chance.

 

Who’s Lafamina?  I only ask this because I don’t know who that is... so I’d assume Snyder doesn’t know either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After today's game, I was all ready for Gruden to be fired before he could leave the stadium, but I've cooled off a bit. He needs to be fired, but I don't see that it makes a difference by waiting until the end of the season.

 

I'm more concerned about the front office. That is what needs to be changed first. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This isn’t an attractive job: total QB uncertainty, no QB to draft or develop, money tied up in Alex Smith, no home field advantage, poor fan game experience, and injury snakebit. There is quite a bit of young talent to develop. Kyle Smith needs to be held onto and given a chance as GM at all cost! Hell, Jay may just resign.....I think a lot of people overestimate the ability to recruit a good coach at this point. Sadly, We are close to the armpit of the NFL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Springfield said:

 

Who’s Lafamina?  I only ask this because I don’t know who that is... so I’d assume Snyder doesn’t know either.

He is the guy Snyder brought in to be Chief of Business Operations. I'm not exactly sure how he helps in the search for a new GM/coach. 

 

But maybe he opens up the east end zone next season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Zazzaro703 said:

It’s going to be Gruden for one more year. What quality coach in their right mind would come here? We have a lot of money tied up at the QB position and at this point I’m just hoping Alex Smith is able to walk normally again. So Gruden is back, then what? I really hope we don’t waste a high round draft pick on a QB selected by a coach who most likely won’t be around beyond a year. I’d rather we trade anyone of value away and eat a bag of **** next year ready to come back in 2019 with a full rebuild. New front office, new coaching, younger new players. Pretty much anyone other than our D-line and Tress Way can be had for a trade. They have resisted the full rebuild because they were afraid of losing the fans, well one look at the stadium each home game tells me that shouldn’t be an issue anymore. I like Jay Gruden, but he isn’t anything better than an 8-8 coach. Sure he can hit 10-6 if we get some bounces and some luck, but with no bounces and no luck can go 6-10. It’s just not good enough.

 

Whats really devasting is had McVay just made it one more year maybe he would have been our coach this year. I could have seen them axing Jay at the end of last year if he were still on staff and wanted the job. McVay is everything you would want in a young upcoming coach and it was probably divine intervention that took him out of DC before his career went up in flames here. 

I’m sure Jay Gruden would be a great neighbor to invite to a cookout.  But I don’t like him as our head coach, and he has lost the players now. They don’t respect him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SavetheSkins said:

Scapegoat?  Are you kidding us?  He doesn’t adjust his play calling based on his players/talent.  Prime example is AP.  His career was built on vertical run plays, often out of an I formation.  Does Jay do this?  No, majority of run calls are lateral with him.  

Yeah... thats exactly why we aren't going to the playoffs because we didn't call the right run plays for a 33 year old RB....

 

Stop kidding yourself, if we have a new coach next year, its the same team with less continuity. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Retread- John Fox, besides his recent stint in Chicago, he had a pretty good career.

College Coach-  Lincoln Riley, OU, enough said.

O.C.-  John Filiippo or Eric Bieniemy, but to be honest I'm tired of all these offensive gurus coming here and we don't have the guys they need.

D.C.- Vic Fangio, if only because he looks like a Mob Boss.

 

Anyway the only way we can get this thing started is by getting rid of Bruce Allen.

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just don't get some fans anymore. Not sure what really has to happen for everyone to realize that we can put whatever coach we want out there and nothing will change.

 

Until Snyder actually stops meddling with things and stops hiring people like Allen or Cerrato it will always be like this. I have about 20 years of evidence to prove this. We have had 8 coaches in the Snyder area... none with a winning record. The only one at .500 did it in his first year with a **** team and then got fired.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.