Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Redskins vs. Cowboys II

KDawg

9 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

I think 10 days of prep and practice vs 2 days of walkthroughs will result in a much better performance from Colt next Monday.

Call me naive...

I agree, Colt didn't bring what we all wanted, but he sure the hell didn't lose this game for us, piss poor preparation and the defense did. Payed off refs didn't help the matter either, the entire world, for the exception of Jerry's Refs, could see the pass interference on one drive and the Reed head shot on the other. This team is not going to lay down or fold anything, this division is ours for the taking, We are about to see how bad they want it.

QB - Colt is decent enough to keep us in contention. Problem is as a team we are not good enough across the board to overcome the killer turnovers he will churn out.

OL - Banged up, feels like the tackles are also underperforming. LG, well Cooper is doing his best. Need another quality addition in that group.

RB - Bibbs looks good. CT25 missing hurts the scheme badly. Should have enough to try and build upon with Guice back in the fold too. AP might have one more year in him.

WR - Doctson and Quinn did good. Doctson has come on in my opinion, but I'd say his ceiling is #2 possession receiver. It's time to forget his draft status and accept what he is. Quinn is affordable and should see Crowder heading out the door. The rest suck, Harris seems to be in or around a lot of bad plays. Get me someone in with #1 potential as Richardson isn't that guy either.

TE - Thank **** Reed got up from that hit. My instant reaction was he's hurt bad. Good production from him and Davis, Colt had Davis wide upon for a long range score and didn't see him. Sprinkle can't stand still on the LOS.

DL/OLB - think they played very well overall. The Dak run hurt, Preston Smith may get paid after all if Crowder goes. Good to see Settle making plays. Even had a few McGee sightings. 

ILB - we need a new one at least. I think what we've got is decent, but the Pukes have what I want in those spots. They have a nasty looking ILB group. Another need.

S - Clinton Dix looked slow, foot speed and response instincts. Not gonna beat up on him too much as I think with him and DJ we have bigger issues to deal with. 

CB - Awful. Dunbar not healthy. Norman irritating. Moreau and Stroman over the weeks keep taking turns to be reemed out. 

Teams - Great punter, missed XP from Hopkins. It's all his fault.

Coaching - did we stand around wasting 20 seconds as we approached the 2 minute warning. Can't be bother rattling on about a Gruden, another mixed day.

Refs - no excuse, but it's painful watching so many poor calls. The non call on the hit on Reed should result in someone being fired.

Don’t forget the face mask miss too. Colt’s head jerked in that tell tale way and the back judge could not have missed it. 

The number of swallowed major penalties is getting ridiculous. 

The fact that reffing needs to be a part of the weekly game report is sad. 

13 minutes ago, Burgold said:

We took the worst of it at the end of the game again, which leaves a stronger sting afterwards, but there are plenty of poor calls being shared around for and against in my opinion.

The Good:

- Doctson: Guy is rising lately. And that's good to see. Really pleased with him, he made an incredible catch in the 3rd that got me "Wow"!

- Quinn: Mr. Irrelevant is gonna make Crowder expendable soon. Return game and passing game, guy is a baller.

- Speaking of special teams, the missed XP aside, another great day and two good returns. Hopefully they'll get one to the house before the end of the season.

- Jordan Reed: Where have you been all this time? Good to see back into duty.

- That bomb to Vernon Davis!

The Bad:

- Our secondary has taken a dip since we signed Dix. That second TD from Cooper where he, Moreau and Swearinger stop instead of going for the kill was a shame!

- 3 INTs, obviously. and NO turnovers from our D?

- Running game disappeared 3 weeks ago. It's no big surprise, but I expected a bit more from this, even with castoffs.

- Refs: Once again they're calling an uneven game. Facemasks, RTP not called. Hold on us but missed it on Harris for the 2nd int (or was it 3rd and Lawrence the 2nd?). The helmet to Reed obviously... But am I the only one to have noticed that:

That's Ezekiel Elliott's TD.

Watch it, then watch it again and check LT #75 Cameron Flemming on Stacy McGee. That's a freaking hold here that allows Elliott to break through...

24 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Especially when that happens 2 weeks in a row.

13 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

We took the worst of it at the end of the game again, which leaves a stronger sting afterwards, but there are plenty of poor calls being shared around for and against in my opinion.

This, it’s really sucked for us the past two weeks.  But I think many of us cautioned everyone that too much did go our way early on and it always evens out.  

Random next day thoughts

1. McCoy didn't lose the game, but he didn't help. His picks were just awful decisions. The attempted throw to Quinn especially. Bad decision,k he wasn't open, and a bad ball on top of it. I know he only had a few days and no chance to run a real practice, but I think you could see much of why Colt is a marginal QB and a career backup.  Some real flutter balls.. he hit a lineman in the head on one of his first passes, bad interceptions, looked to me like decision making was rushed, even panicked at times. He can make some nice plays, but those faults are part of his game.

2. Dunbar couldn't run at all, couldn't cut, and the Cowboys knew it and picked at him. I was wishing they put Stroman in... as raw as he is, at least he is mobile. Moreau DID get abused. Norman got beat on on one for first downs too often. We played in fear of Cowboys receivers, and I don't know why. Fine, respect Cooper, but challenge them.

3. Peterson seems to have forgotten how to go forward fast in his age. He makes one too many cut WAY too often..   yesterday there were at least 4 or 5 runs that in my eye looked like he could have pressed maybe 4 more yards if he'd have kept going, but he makes that extra jump, that extra stutter step that takes away ALL of his momentum, basically stops himself in the face of a tackler he should power over.

4. Temp tempo tempo tempo,,,  we only know one, and it's slow. Urgency, clock management..  it is a hug problem. We don't seem to have that fire to WIN. we are passive, we don't press advantage, and we certainly do not understand the clock at the end of any half ever. Gruden the playcaller.. i tend to give a bit of a pass due to his constant injury problems affecting what they can do. But time management is a glaring problem and it always has been. Holy smokes, if Gruden can't do it, hire someone who's only job is to tell him when to call timeouts. 

5. the refs.. i don't believe in conspiracies, i don't think the NFL is rigged..  i always fall back onto the first rule of any conspiacy and that is how many people have to know? and in fixing games, it's going to be a few... and someone will talk. For as long as there has been a league there have been those who scream 'fix!"..   and for all these years if there was any truth to any of it someone somewhere would have talked. BUT i think there are natural biases, and I think that refs can be caught up in the idea that bad teams make more mistakes, so they get flagged while teams they perceive as good do not.

Last week was egregious. This week the hit in Reed's face was unbelievable. That draws a flag even when it's NOT a foul..  this time, i really do not understand how no officials saw the last few years worth of "points of emphasis" in that hit. It's one thing if refs miss smaller things, or things that subjectively may or may not be a foul depending on their angle of view... but that shot on Reed is the picture of what they have been trying to eliminate.
The DB will be fined. We will get another apology.

Yay.
But from the other side of the coin, the side judge gave us several really GOOD spots that resulted in first down when i thought they were short. I think she liked us.

6. Tress way - first team ALL PRO

Say it with me.
Tress Way- First Team ALL PRO.
He has been phenomenal.
Overall i have really liked the special teams play this year. Kotwika has them playing solid ball, penalties are way down, got some god returns yesterday in both kickoff and punt game. OK, so Hopkins missed an XP,, but.. S happens. 

7. Is it me, or is Tony Bergstrom playing pretty good football? Seems to me he is. Dallas got some pressure yesterday, but they are a damn good front and i don't think there are many lines in the league that are going to stonewall them, so given that, i think I am liking what I see out of Bergstrom in extended action. @KDawg i know you know line play, am i wrong?

8. Haha Clinton Dix seems to me to be nothing special. He gets beat,, gets beat on run downs, overruns plays, gives up a ton of yards due to bad angles. I am making a face when i think of not only his play so far, but the decision to make on him based off of it. I did not see Nicholson all game.

9. Earlier in the year tackling was much better. MUCH better, especially among the secondary. Yesterday was pathetic. the 90 yard TD.. good grief, that looked like a 3 Stooges bit.

10. Playoffs and even the division are still quite possible. I wouldn't expect to go far, but I think we can make it. 

~Bang

Huge game on a big stage, with the whole country watching and we stink up the joint once again. McCoy did some good things, but 3 picks are always costly, regardless of if the opposing team scored off of those picks or not. It's not always what the other team did with those picks, but what it does to cripple the team that throws them. When you throw 3 picks, they are essentially 3 wasted possessions that; who knows if we would've scored points on them if we didn't hand the ball to them. So for people to say 3 picks didn't really hurt us because Dallas only scored 7 pts. off those ints., is a statement I strongly disagree with.

The sewage D was the real reason we lost though. Our D-line is solid, but if they don't get pressure on the QB or stuff the run at the line and our LB's & secondary are left to make plays- forget it. Once a running back breaks through our line, it's a guaranteed 10 yd. + gain. Screen passes & 8 yd. hitches turn into 30 & 40 yd. gains repeatedly. As unlucky as we've been with injuries on offense, we've been lucky with injuries on D, as that unit has stayed pretty much intact and are getting worse by the game. Gruden deserves a lot of ripping for the lack of preparation, but I've said it several times before- Manusky is not a good DC. He was let go of his DC jobs in SF, Indy & San Diego for a reason. The dude is 3 for 3 getting fired from his previous DC jobs. Why was he going to be any better in his 4th stint as a DC? The guy is nothing better than a LB's coach and needs to go. 

Negatives:

Colt McCoy - I don’t expect him to repeat this type of performance.  He will probably play better, but I’m not sure how much.  He’s got no zip whatsoever.    

HHCD - Just ugh.  Mind boggling to me that someone who uses ST for inspiration appears to have no desire to hit anyone.  I can already tell this is a guy I have no desire to provide with a big contract.

AP - is it just me or did he appear to be wearing concrete cleats yesterday?

Ryan Kerrigan - how many times does he have to watch his teammates fail to wrap up elusive QBs to know that you can never give up on a play?

Dunbar - Not so much on him, but why does our coaching staff keep trotting him out there wounded?  It was so obvious that he was a liability in that condition.

Positives:

DJ - loved him saying the team doesn’t deserve respect because they never win big games.  Sad when his locker room interview was the best part of the entire day.

9 hours ago, Dissident2 said:

This is exactly right on the money and the main reason why we are at a virtually hopeless position. We have NOTHING at QB. Nothing on the roster, nothing coming down the road any time soon. This is the worst it's ever been at that position that I can remember. Sanchez and McCoy I'd say is arguably worse than Beck and Grossman. The people who have brought us to this place ... these people should not have jobs. 

Yep put me in this camp as well. This is what life with a crappy QB looks like, get used to it fellas because this is our future.  

1.  I'm willing to hold out some irrational form of hope that Colt hasn't been able to practice with the first team so his timing is off.  He looked lost a lot yesterday.  His arm looked terrible at times, and his decision making was completely confusing at times.... but he hasn't practiced a single snap with the first team so.... i'm searching greatly here to have some hope.  He made a couple good throws.... but made more bad ones. 

2. Our team simply loses it's ability to tackle for some unknown, twilight zone reason.  Every big play yesterday was off a broken tackle.  I simply cannot explain it.

3.  Gruden's clock management and play calling has once again left me completely lost.  Calling a timout after a false start penalty on 2nd and 6.... then you go WR screen.  I have zero belief he will ever be able to be effective as a HC... it's just too much for him to handle.

4.  It's getting harder and harder to believe we're playing on a level playing field with our competition.  It seems like every week the officiating gets worse.  It's killing my enjoyment of the game....  The missed call on Reed was completely unacceptable, but that's not even what gets me the most.  It's the missed holding calls.. it's the ticky tack penalties against us to extend drives on defense, or stall the ones on offense.  It's exhausting to constantly be saying "terrible call" multiple times a game.  

5.  We need to continue to work on depth.  We've done wizardry to stay relevant with the injuries we've had, but we're not good enough to overcome them.. we can only sustain them. 

I'm still a Skins fan... will be forever, but this was bad.... Maybe they need to call another players only meeting or something.

1.) I mentioned, that even in my haste to see Alex Smith never play another down, never underestimate smart, stingy, responsible, situational football from a QB. Its ugly, but it keeps you in games, and gives you a chance to win, no matter how good or bad you really are (so many games are lost in other ways).  I'd rather go out swinging ( and go out swinging we did) but those turnovers killed this team.  Killed it.

2. This defense is washed. Flight Marshals/Alabama Wall my ass. They played well early on, but due to what is most certainly a combination of scheme and personnel, they are giving up big plays all over the field, and are getting 3rd World slaughtered through the air. We should probably give the team credit for doing as well as they had up to recently, because this defense is falling apart, and if they are gonna continue to play like this, along with the offense in the state they are in, good luck finding an assortment of W's anytime soon. They were supposed to be the most well put together unit we have. Now they seem like the biggest liability at times.

3.) Adrian Peterson is dying 😔

I'm gonna cut Colt some slack. He didnt play well, but I wont make any definitive conclusions about what he'll do the rest of the way based on this one performance. It's only because it's his first start and recency bias kicks in.  If he's playing this way next week after some actual practice time and beyond, then I'll be concerned.  3-3 is all he need to do, and that is still well on the table.

However, Colt with the defense falling apart and no run game isnt gonna work at all.  

43 minutes ago, fearlessNelms said:

The guy is nothing better than a LB's coach and needs to go. 

Agreed. He's just not smart. Has there ever been a gameplan we've seen from one of his defenses that really impressed anyone? He's lower tier, or as my Dad used to say, "Bush league." I'd like to see Tomsula promoted to the position and see what he could do. 

Positives:

Loved the aggressive style of Colt, the guy with zero practice had a decent game and really can be blamed on only one INT.  One of the INTs was blatant holding on Dallas on the spot of the INT that even the announcers said holding should have been called, and the other Moses totally missed on his assignment to cut down the end of Dallas.  Colt will get better

Loved our special teams, the long return and Tress Way.  Wow man the dude is money.  

Doctson is showing much promise lately

Reed is starting to play well

The OL for the most part held up well, we know that the front 7 of the boys are very good.

Negative:

Refs.  I sound like a broken record but seriously we lost the Texans game because of them and the league admitted so much, and yesterday was simply atrocious, with the hit on Reed being the final straw.   yes we got a couple of favorable spots but that is on Dallas not challenging.  We can't challenge the face mask on Colt, we can't challenge the holding call on the INT, we can't challenge the holding call on Kerrigan when Cooper went 90 yards TD, we can't challenge the holding call on Mcgee that allowed Shirley 21 to score a TD run.  Like I said this was atrocious enough to even have Gruden and the announcers say things that usually no one says about the refs.

AP has slowed down a lot.  Why is he not trusting the blocking, and he is not very good outside the numbers.  Personally I think we can't do much without him getting back to where he was a few games ago.

Gruden.  Major mistake not to have one practice this week.  The entire team came out flat and we got scored on immediately.  The Steelers are rumored to have 100% allowed pad practices in camp and during the season, injuries be damned.  Gruden is treating this team like we are walking on eggshells and it shows.

Missed extra point.  I know its going to happen sometimes but man tell me this didn't at least in a small way change momentum.  

Norman.  Average and he is not being paid to be average.  Dunbar should not have been in there, and HaHa simply got lost like that game with Atlanta.  

Nothing is over.  Personally I want to see us win all our games and we should.  No team should be able to compete with us if the players rally around Colt. What the Eagles or the Giants? seriously?  The Jags?  or the Titans?  no excuse, win them all, if the refs let us that is because to me it clear as a sunny day they want Dallas to win this division.

5 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I'm gonna cut Colt some slack. He didnt play well, but I wont make any definitive conclusions about what he'll do the rest of the way based on this one performance. It's only because it's his first start and recency bias kicks in.  If he's playing this way next week after some actual practice time and beyond, then I'll be concerned.  3-3 is all he need to do, and that is still well on the table.

However, Colt with the defense falling apart and no run game isnt gonna work at all.  

Hate to say it, buddy, but he looked like the same fearless Longhorn he's always been.

Just not enough to be a full time starter in this league.

Just now, Darrell Green Fan said:

I don't think it's a conspiracy, and we have had a lot of bad calls go for us too, but yeah the calls have been stacked against us a lot lately.    @OVCChairman nailed it, not just the obvious ones like the hit on Reed (we still lose by the way) but all the drive extending ticky tack calls as well.  

It's getting harder and harder to believe that there isn't at least a slight or a bias toward us.  It's too convenient how things work out sometimes.  I don't necessarily think they have round table meetings to figure out how we're gonna 'screw the Redskins' but I also have little doubt that everyone involved with the NFL knows who the favorites are.  

Another thing that concerns me.  Kirk was a franchise QB but also masked alot of our issues.  Without a franchise QB (no one on this roster is), the only way to win games is like Gibbs 2.0 and require the other team to make mistakes and capitalize on them.  We dont have any playmakers on this team.   Hoping Guice will be our first one. J-reed is often too injured and doesn't command the attention like he used too with Kirk

4 minutes ago, TheGreek1973 said:

Negative

Gruden.  Major mistake not to have one practice this week.  The entire team came out flat and we got scored on immediately.  The Steelers are rumored to have 100% allowed pad practices in camp and during the season, injuries be damned.  Gruden is treating this team like we are walking on eggshells and it shows.

When you are always fighting for your job, you can't risk any players being injured.  Tomlin knows hes not going anywhere and they have a culture of the next man standing.  

They have got to be able to run the ball.  Peterson is averaging 43 yards and 2.9 a carry the last 4 weeks.  Not coincidentally, they're 1-3.  Not that hard to figure out what's going on.  Seemed like they were having to overcome 3rd and long all game long.  Colt doesn't have a chance if that keeps up.

And if they cant run it some and control the clock, this defense wont hold up down the stretch.  I'm a firm believer in the interconnectivity of both sides of the ball.  One helps out the other, until it gets to be too much of a burden.

6 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

Another thing that concerns me.  Kirk was a franchise QB but also masked alot of our issues.  Without a franchise QB (no one on this roster is), the only way to win games is like Gibbs 2.0 and require the other team to make mistakes and capitalize on them.  We dont have any playmakers on this team.   Hoping Guice will be our first one. J-reed is often too injured and doesn't command the attention like he used too with Kirk

When you are always fighting for your job, you can't risk any players being injured.  Tomlin knows hes not going anywhere and they have a culture of the next man standing.  

And when you're fighting for your job, you cant afford to come out flat against the team on your heals for the division.  The very sad reality is that we're likely to look back at yesterdays game as the literal tipping point of our season.  A victory virtually guarantees a division title... a loss basically removes that possibility.  Our season was on the line yesterday... Grudens job was on the line yesterday... It wouldn't surprise me if the entire coaching staff is replaced and it may well be simply be because they didn't have the aggressive nature to have a practice with a QB who hasn't had a first team rep in 2 seasons, when the season was on the line. 

Archived