Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Redskins vs. Texans

KDawg

6 hours ago, KDawg said:

This one isn't quite sitting right with me. I'll start with something I rarely do... I strongly feel that the refs  took the game out of the player's hands. The roughing call on Preston Smith was questionable, but understandable given the current landscape in the NFL. So I can't get too upset with that. But the Norman PI and the lack of a PI call on Doctson changed the game. I struggle blaming the refs completely, because the team missed several opportunities to win the game, but this is a game where the refs certainly didn't help.

Pros:

-McCoy came in and looked good. He is a good fit for this offense. I said before we acquired Smith this offseason that I really liked Alex, but I was completely comfortable with Colt. Mentioned it a few weeks back in a QB that shall not be named and Alex Smith debate that McCoy might be the perfect mix of the two for this season due to his grasp of the offense and his play style. I still believe that. There will be more in the cons section, though.

-Adrian Peterson.

-Forced defense turnovers and opportunistic plays.

-Tress Way.

Cons:

-Clock management on that 63 yard field goal attempt. I feel like the Skins could have gotten 7-8 more yards and gotten out of bounds and set that kick up much better for success.

-Alex Smith's injury. Regardless on where you are in the debate on him, this injury is not great for team morale on an already banged up team. I think the team likes and responds to Colt. My biggest concern right now is the backup spot. The names we're bringing in scare me and I have John Beck dreams dancing in my head. 

-Mason Foster in pursuit on outside flow. Bad angles and slow.

All in all there wasn't alot to be overly concerned with as far as actual play is concerned. The Smith/Reed miscommunication on the pick six not considered. But there wasn't a ton of encouraging play, either. I hope they turn around and get ready for Dallas. This is a huge game coming up.

Great post here.  The only thing I have to say about the officiating is there were some questionable calls made, no doubt but I didn't see anything against us that screams "we got blatantly robbed".  I saw a lot physical play by both teams and I also seen both teams holding on a lot of plays that weren't called.  We got to take the good with the bad and just play better.

27 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

So, Trey Quinn had the 2nd most offensive snaps out of the receivers.  Doctson > Quinn > Harris > Floyd in terms of snap amounts.  Does that surprise anyone else?  The last pick in the entire draft, first game in the NFL for him, and suddenly he's getting the majority of snaps.

What does that say about our WR corps if Quinn is immediately promoted.

It might say that the training camp buzz that Quinn was a steal in the seventh round has some merit.

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

That announcer was Trent Green - he's thrown a lot of passes on that route down by the goalline. He can't be 100% sure either - but I'm going high 90's he is right.

I tend to believe him as well.

He was spot on on numerous thing throughout the game. Like that long throw in the 4th, prior to running Colt naked on the left. Saying it was a shot taken because they had the perfect play for 4th down. And that's exactly what happened on the 4th down.

Don't remember hearing him a lot, but I thought he was quite good on many, many occasions.

58 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

So, Trey Quinn had the 2nd most offensive snaps out of the receivers.  Doctson > Quinn > Harris > Floyd in terms of snap amounts.  Does that surprise anyone else?  The last pick in the entire draft, first game in the NFL for him, and suddenly he's getting the majority of snaps.

What does that say about our WR corps if Quinn is immediately promoted.

What it says is that's where he would've been if he didn't get hurt and that he's the only one that could fill the Crowder role in this offense with him still being out.  It also says despite how we feel about this front office, they found another late round steal.  Like no joke, the last pick in the draft is about to take Crowder's job and he's earning it fair and square.

9 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

I only pick out 3 of each, and actually prefer others post their own independent thoughts, vs nitpick why someone omitted a good. Anyways.

As for only stating 3, would have helped if you said: "these are my top 3." My response may have been different - not a lot but somewhat different. I believe you left out the most important positives, stating only a few weaker ones. Just my opinion but again that's what a message board is. And it's not nit-picking. It' called exchanging ideas. Once they get on a public message board they are fair game.  Again you left out some of the most positive things about the team. So I added what I thought were big positives. Sorry that seemed to bother you.

As for the independent thoughts thing, not even sure where you were going with that. You think I copy pasted from someone else? Nope! My own original thoughts! 

Alex playing his best game for a half - 7 points off a nice AP run... ok.  I call that a bad since it took 10 weeks to get a great half out of him.  I am still not 100% sold that P6 is totally on Reed which could cause a rethink of the best game line.  I have seen Alex have minimal chemistry with almost all players most of the year, and has been grossly inaccurate on many throws.  I called it drunk Alex.  It's pure speculation to pin that sack on the RB, ignoring 3 OL covering 1 Texan (the RE??) immediately after the snap.  You know why I am singling out that play, because the result of that play is the focus of a lot of the discussion today. 

Alex has played more than 1 good half. Has he been great? Of course not. He has not even been average - fair enough. But 1 good half? That's not true either. A for the 10 gms - it takes time to digest a new offense. Most QB that change teams - unless it's really early in their career - do not just walk in and gel, especially with all the missed time by the skill players we have had. Granted, much of that is the FO fault - signing Richardson with known injury history, not getting a real replacement for Reed who is oft injured, relying on Thompson, laovau and Crowder. You can't replace them all but a less injured WR and a LG would have been very nice as FAs. If you watch the film, it appears the RB missed a chip but Ok, maybe he was not supposed to get that block. And maybe the sack happens anyway. In fairness no sack is all on one person. So fair point.

It's pretty obvious the pick was reed. And yea, every time someone throws their hands up likes it someones fault they are right. You know better than that. And just because there is no chemistry does not mean that is all on Alex. It takes 2. 

We know what bend don't break is. Which is largely holding the opposition in check, but then losing a coin flip. It hasn't been an accident for the ~2 decades we have been often featuring it.  You can't just single out 16 points when they also scored a return TD.  For with our feeble offense, they could bend don't break us to victory, and not press on offense.

I never said bend don't break. I said they gave up a few runs but overall did a good job. And that's what they did. Total yds was not too bad - only 208 in the air with 1 TD and 2 picks. A little high on th ground, but still not too bad overall. And they are forcing TOs. I know some like to say it's mostly luck, but that's just not true. A few are, but they are forcing mistakes and forcing TOs.

And yes I can single out 16 pts because the D was sitting on the bench when the pick 6 happened. How in the world is that on D? How do you possibly blame the pick 6 on them? But even with that, they only gave up 6 pts in the 2nd half and hey needed some questionable calls to get there. 

15 hours ago, DJHJR86 said:

I'm still scratching my head as to why Gruden called a deep pass on 3rd and 10 at the end of the game instead of doing a little screen pass to gain some yardage.  I think Hopkins could have made that with 5-6 more yards.

Yep.  FG was only 5 yards short.  I question Gruden’s playcalling a lot.  He will never take us to a SB.

I agree with the bad calls by the refs.  They need to be fined or something.  No accountability.

On 3rd and 10, if the Skins didn’t pick up a 1st down or get out of bounds, they can’t spike it (4th down) and they don’t have time to get the FG unit out.  

Deep ball to the sideline, while probably not what I would have done, at least gives you a chance at a catch and then stepping OOB, or a PI.  I’d have looked at a quick hitter to the middle for the first (assuming they’d be protecting the sidelines) and hope your guys can line up to spike it in time.  I’m not mad about it though... that was some serious adversity they (Gruden and McCoy) were up against.  The fact that Hopkins kicked it right down the middle, the drama of the lead change narrative, it being a home game, and the with the backup qb in... those factors definitely made it harder to swallow.  

Archived