Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alabama Wall

Redskinscub

Dunno, not putting up the dominant performances they did earlier in the season against lesser teams. However, always have said that what you consider a good defense is relative in today's league which favors offenses. Houston got a bit over 300 yards today, and one of their TDs was on defense. However, they also missed two FG, so their score in the low 20s was about right. Not a dominant day, but not a horrible day for the D, IMO.

Too often we’re giving teams a huge gap between the tackle and guard on the left side.  There’s been success on other runs too, but that one is the most glaring to me.  Yes, Preston could spin back inside or something, but I can’t put it on him because he’s trying to pass rush and get the edge on the tackle and he’s maintaining the outside (usually).  What I can’t decide is whether our DT needs to be filling that gap (crashing to the offense’s left, or (more likely), someone isn’t coming forward and filling that gap... not successfully at least.  

IMO, against backs like Barkley, Elliot, etc., our backers are playing run first and coming downhill in a hurry.  Facing a better passer/passing offense (vs the better running teams), our secondary needs extra help, and so our backers are therefore reacting a bit later to the run.  This gives blockers more time to get to them... and Foster and Brown don’t excel at stacking and shedding.  Compounding this issue (I think), our corners on that side aren’t making enough of an impact vs the run, and both safeties are playing back (again, to help in the secondary).  So we see runners either untouched for several yards, or met by diving arm tackles by Foster.  Their next contact point is usually seems to be a safety closer to 10 yds past the LOS.  

I don't know the fix to this, but one thing I’d try - have Foster move a yard to the outside (maybe just when Swearinger is playing deep?).  Like I said, I don’t know - just spitballing.  

They haven't been world beaters, but I think they're playing fairly well as a whole. You have to remember, this is Payne's rookie year and basically Allen's rookie year as well since he only played 5 games last year before being lost to injury.

They'll grow and get better as they get more NFL experience.

Lack of 

On 11/18/2018 at 8:09 PM, bh32 said:

The problem is the LB's are not very good and the scheme kind of sucks also..

Kerrigan and Smith stepped it up the last couple of weeks. Brown has been a bit disappointing, I thought Brown would be cleaning up everything behind the LOS and demolishing screens. 

Mason Foster is just a liability in space. He loses all footraces, but he finds a way to make plays. 

Archived