Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Starting QB 2019???

Who should be the starting QB in 2019???  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the starting QB in 2019???

• Alex Smith
    • Colt McCoy
    • Trade for a Veteran
    • Sign a Veteran
    • First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Non-First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Too Early to Answer
    • I don't know yet
    • We're screwed (at least at QB for 2019)

10 minutes ago, TheGreek1973 said:

You know what?  NO.  Don't want to take any more chances, the best thing to do is draft.  For me Colt is more than capable of running this team and who knows running it very well.  Then we draft someone that can sit and learn.  We can do that, Cousins did that and i think Gruden did a good job with him.  We pick a raw, high character, high IQ guy with a decent arm and he learns.

I'm cool with this. Only caveat, we don't reach for a QB. Preferably, we wait until 2020 to draft one since this year the crop isn't good.

5 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Alex Smith suffered a compound fracture - meaning the bone broke through his skin, per source. Trauma surgeons discovered Smith suffered a spiral fracture in his leg - defined as a long bone broken by a rotational force. Smith, 34, faces a lengthy rehab process to try to return.

This is not good. It has me thinking that the timeline Gruden gave at the podium yesterday was premature. 

My gut tells me that a 34 year old QB is not going to come back the same (if at all) from a fracture of this severity. 

Best wishes to Alex.

Edited by bird_1972
  • Like 1
Just now, bird_1972 said:

I'm cool with this. Only caveat, we don't reach for a QB. Preferably, we wait until 2020 to draft one since this year the crop isn't good.

I agree, but if there is a decent prospect between the 4-7 rounds then why not.  But yea this coming draft, I also don't think high of the talent that there is out there.  One QB, that might go undrafted and I would love to bring in is PSU's McSorley. Very high character guy, amazing competitor and I think coachable.  Physical trades however are very low, especially his size but again, if he is there in 6th round or better yet 7th I would consider it if I were Williams.  Getting him undrafted would be very good IMO.

1 minute ago, TheGreek1973 said:

I agree, but if there is a decent prospect between the 4-7 rounds then why not.  But yea this coming draft, I also don't think high of the talent that there is out there.  One QB, that might go undrafted and I would love to bring in is PSU's McSorley. Very high character guy, amazing competitor and I think coachable.  Physical trades however are very low, especially his size but again, if he is there in 6th round or better yet 7th I would consider it if I were Williams.  Getting him undrafted would be very good IMO.

Sure. I just don't want us forgoing real talent along the OL, DL, LB, TE in the early rounds just to reach for a QB. 

This FO has panicked so many times before (including with the trade for Alex), I just don't want to see them make yet another hasty mistake.

Two years ago after pro bowl level play and multiple playoff appearances the chiefs knew that Smith was not the quarterback to get them to the promised land.

Now two years older coming off an horrendous injury and in a new system we think he could possibly be the guy to lead this team?

Bottom line is the Smith trade was pretty stupid when we made it and now (despite the fact we couldn't have known) it's a total disaster. 

We're screwed is the plain and simple truth.

Even if Smith makes a full recovery he's not the guy to get us where we want to be.

This offseason is going to be a very interesting one for us at quarterback because I honestly have no idea how we get out of this mess.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Two years ago after pro bowl level play and multiple playoff appearances the chiefs knew that Smith was not the quarterback to get them to the promised land.

Now two years older coming off an horrendous injury and in a new system we think he could possibly be the guy to lead this team?

Bottom line is the Smith trade was pretty stupid when we made it and now (despite the fact we couldn't have known) it's a total disaster. 

We're screwed is the plain and simple truth.

Even if Smith makes a full recovery he's not the guy to get us where we want to be.

This offseason is going to be a very interesting one for us at quarterback because I honestly have no idea how we get out of this mess.

I can tell you what we shouldn't do - that is dig our hole deeper by panicking and either reaching for a QB in the draft or giving up pick(s) in a trade for another one. 

Let's cool our heels and roll with Colt - maybe take a developmental guy later in the draft and wait until 2020.

Maybe we will luck out and Alex retires (not that I wish his injury to be a career-ender, but its increasingly looking like it might be).

9 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

I can tell you what we shouldn't do - that is dig our hole deeper by panicking and either reaching for a QB in the draft or giving up pick(s) in a trade for another one. 

Let's cool our heels and roll with Colt - maybe take a developmental guy later in the draft and wait until 2020.

Maybe we will luck out and Alex retires (not that I wish his injury to be a career-ender, but its increasingly looking like it might be).

I agree except that I think we should draft a guy earlier than the later rounds if someone is available who warrants the pick.

If Alex makes a recovery I think we should carry three quarterbacks next year, one being an early round developmental project and colt and Alex can compete for the starters spot.

That also depends how colt performs from now until the end of the season obviously. 

43 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I agree except that I think we should draft a guy earlier than the later rounds if someone is available who warrants the pick.

If Alex makes a recovery I think we should carry three quarterbacks next year, one being an early round developmental project and colt and Alex can compete for the starters spot.

That also depends how colt performs from now until the end of the season obviously. 

So (looking at ovethecap) there is a way that the team could get rid of Smith and still survive. It would involve getting rid of Reed, Davis, McGee and Norman as well but it could work. I doubt it happens because of how it would look. 

That said, if we go into next year Alex will at minimum be put on PUP if not on IR to start the season. That opens up a roster spot that must be used on a QB. The question is do we use it on a Sanches/Bridgewater type QB or a Mullens/Beathard type or even a totally unproven guy like a rookie or UDFA like we had with Morris going into last offseason?

Edited by Thinking Skins
  • Thanks 1

Why didn't we trade for Alex Smith and leave his current contract intact?

First scenario is he comes in and performs a little above average and we extend him after the season for what he got anyway because that's about what a slightly above average quarterback is worth now a days.

Scenario two he snaps his leg in half and we can walk away with a huge sigh of relief. 

Scenario 3 he lights up the league and were in a Kirk cousins like situation where we have to franchise tag him or give him a huge extension but wouldn't that at that point be a good problem to have with a 35 year old quarterback?

The more I think about the way the front office handled the Alex Smith trade the more it infuriates me.

I suppose scenario 4 would be he lights it up and we have him locked up but I think that's a huge gamble that as we see now really screwed us.

Edited by redskinss
  • Like 2
37 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Why didn't we trade for Alex Smith and leave his current contract intact?

First scenario is he comes in and performs a little above average and we extend him after the season for what he got anyway because that's about what a slightly above average quarterback is worth now a days.

Scenario two he snaps his leg in half and we can walk away with a huge sigh of relief. 

Scenario 3 he lights up the league and were in a Kirk cousins like situation where we have to franchise tag him or give him a huge extension but wouldn't that at that point be a good problem to have with a 35 year old quarterback?

The more I think about the way the front office handled the Alex Smith trade the more it infuriates me.

I suppose scenario 4 would be he lights it up and we have him locked up but I think that's a huge gamble that as we see now really screwed us.

Next to ownership, Bruce Allen is the biggest liability on the team. He's the gift that keeps giving, if you consider desperation and incompetence a gift.

1 hour ago, bird_1972 said:

The only reason to roll with Colt is if because he isn't good and it will improve our chances of a top pick in the 2020 draft. If that is the plan, that's fine but we also need to go ahead and trade some guys too and try to get even more picks in that 2020 draft so we can pivot makeup of this team. 

This franchise doesn't believe in rebuilds but maybe we could do a hard reset this way.

9 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

We never should have traded for Smith because we traded the next 3-5 years and our potential longterm future away to get him. 

Out of all the possible ways we could have handled him, giving him an massive extension immediately, sight unseen, was the worst. 

• Like 1

A couple thoughts, based on the assumption that 1) Smith won't be ready by mini-camp and 2) McCoy plays essentially like he did on Sunday over the final 6 games...

1) I'm OK with McCoy going into 2019 as the starter

2) We need something else behind him because he hasn't been durable 

The best approach that I can think of right now is to keep Smith as a mentor/backup, draft a QB, and roll with McCoy. Eventually Smith will be healthy enough to play. So, I'd look at the depth chart like this: 

QB1 - McCoy

QB2 - Smith

QB3 - Rookie QB

If you need someone to pinch hit or fill-in for a short amount of time while we are contending, you go with Smith. The second you aren't a viable playoff team anymore, you give the rookie reps. 

Just now, bird_1972 said:

@TD_washingtonredskins I am so pissed off at how horribly the FO handled Smith's contract situation. So amateurish. 

Yep, we have to pay the man for 2-3 years so we may as well give him a role on the team. Figure out a way to carry 3 QBs and hope that one of the cheaper guys can provide you with value until he comes off the books. 

It sucks emotionally too...it was easy for me to not like McNabb (seemed like a jerk) and sour on Cousins (big nerd) and get fed up with Griffin (diva) and hate on Grossman (hahaha). But Alex, by all accounts, is a great teammate and good guy. I don't like not liking him...if that makes sense. 

12 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Yep, we have to pay the man for 2-3 years so we may as well give him a role on the team. Figure out a way to carry 3 QBs and hope that one of the cheaper guys can provide you with value until he comes off the books. 

It sucks emotionally too...it was easy for me to not like McNabb (seemed like a jerk) and sour on Cousins (big nerd) and get fed up with Griffin (diva) and hate on Grossman (hahaha). But Alex, by all accounts, is a great teammate and good guy. I don't like not liking him...if that makes sense. 

Yeah, but we as fans shouldn't be put in a position to hate on a guy like Smith. Having him here was OK for the right price. 

Since the people running the team (Snyder included) are of generally below average intelligence and suck at deal making, we now have a player who may never play another snap who will count against our cap whether we like it or not for the next 2 years.

Oh ... and don't think for a minute that the same cadre of idiots won't make another expensive, desperate move to bring another QB here in the offseason. It isn't going to be a matter of whether the move is stupid or not but instead how stupid it is.

• Like 2

Just because the 2019 draft may not have your prototypical blue chip QB waiting in the wings is no reason not to possibly spend a late round pick on a QB to develop.  It still doesn't prevent you from drafting the blue chipper the following draft if need be.

It should be Colt in 2019, and here's why:  Jay Gruden has showed multiple times that he wants Colt as his QB, and every time he's been overruled by someone else.

In 2014 he was brought in to coach up the owner's failed QB project, who immediately got injured again, and then it was the QB carousel of failure and injury and more failure.

In 2015 Jay wanted to start Colt, and Snyder/Allen wanted to start RG3, but the compromise from the temporary GM ended up being a 2012 4th round pick left over from Mike Shanahan.  That QB played well enough to keep the job through 2016 and 2017, despite an increasingly ridiculous contract situation caused by the incompetence of Bruce Allen.

In 2018 Jay wanted Colt as his starter on the cheap, but once again Snyder/Allen ignored him and chose to spend a fortune on a mediocre veteran QB.

Now, for once before we fire the guy, let him pick his own damn QB.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, bird_1972 said:

@TD_washingtonredskins I am so pissed off at how horribly the FO handled Smith's contract situation. So amateurish. 

Wait...I thought our fanbase was pizzed at how they didn't extend a (certain) QBs contract??  The FO handled it pretty well IMO. A 2+ year contract on a capable QB who has proven to be healthy throughout most of his career. Given their situation, Why wouldn't a good FO handle it that way??