Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Starting QB 2019???

Who should be the starting QB in 2019???  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the starting QB in 2019???

• Alex Smith
    • Colt McCoy
    • Trade for a Veteran
    • Sign a Veteran
    • First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Non-First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Too Early to Answer
    • I don't know yet
    • We're screwed (at least at QB for 2019)

6 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I’d guess 0-16 as the contract he’s about to get wouldn’t allow us the ability to fill out the roster.

When was the last time this team had a filled roster? Nick Foles or some cheaper option doesn't make a difference. Either way the roster will be bad. 

I just don't see these clowns deciding to take the hit and roll with the guys we have and bottom out for 2020.  

Nope they'll find a way to make it hilarious after already overpaying for Checkdown Alex. 

2019 will probably be Flacco or Bridgewater, somebody like that, or maybe they even try to convince Alex Smith to come back early somehow. 

Maybe they'll trade away a couple picks for somebody else like Dalton. You can never tell, just just know it'll be comedy before the season is over.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Sadly my money is on a move for Flacco. Hadnt considered Dalton but that's equally as depressing.

But not sure its any worse than Josh Johnson. 

Having said that... Johnson would be cheap and the players seem to like him. Not sure how the hell you sell that to the fanbase, though, even if its the smart play while we wait for 2020... The Redskins haven't built up enough fan credit to make a move like keeping Johnson at QB and still having the luxury of top execs keeping their jobs. It would look bad and Snyder would move no tickets while doing it. It would bottom out the franchise most likely, unless Johnson somehow caught lightning in a bottle. 

If the Skins had been putting a better product together, the idea of a lost season is still unsettling. But it's not unforgivable. 

And that scares me because it screams that they're going to do something crazy.

I hope it's going in as we are with a rookie added. Or a cheap vet that doesn't cripple us cap wise that can lead a team for a year or two (McCoy should be considered, but his injury history is more of the same for the Skins).

But that all depends on what happens with Allen. If Allen stays I'll be largely indifferent to any move.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 3
58 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

My guess is Gruden, if he's here, would happily roll with McCoy in 2019.

That probably won't wash with Bruce. He will want another toy. Damn, maybe Fitzpatrick on a one year deal comes into play. 

Either way, I want us to draft a QB as well.

We should have gone with McCoy this year, we would be picking between 3 and 8 in the draft and wouldn't have that huge Smith contract hanging around our necks. 

HTTR 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Sadly my money is on a move for Flacco. Hadnt considered Dalton but that's equally as depressing.

I cant see them still paying Alex Smith AND then paying Flacco.  I dont think Flacco gets anything less than $15 mil.  Which would be $35m+ tied up in mediocre QBs next year.  For what, 7-9 again?  They almost have to go rookie and low price tag guy like Bridgewater or Fitzpatrick.  Assuming they have some kind of organizational plan beyond the next 5 minutes.

• Like 1

Start of the season:

Starter- Colt McCoy 

Back-up- Josh Johnson or rookie drafted 

PUP List- Alex Smith

And when Alex is cleared to play, he'll take over starting duties.

In other words things don't look good.

All of this may change if Jay is release.

20 minutes ago, Dancing Bear said:

Start of the season:

Starter- Colt McCoy 

PUP List- Alex Smith

Snyder won't clean house until next year from the looks of things. At this point I don't think it really matters. He'll just hire another group of bums. 

• Like 2
52 minutes ago, Dancing Bear said:

Start of the season:

Starter- Colt McCoy 

PUP List- Alex Smith

I'd get it out of your mind that Alex is going to be cleared next year. He's got a long, long road. 

I'm not saying its not possible, but I wouldn't count it as likely, either. There is a good chance he has played his last down of football, let alone get cleared for next season. But never say never.

But I'd bet, if we roll with that plan it'll be: McCoy, Johnson, rookie with Alex Smith on IR. Smith gets cleared and some how, miraculously the other two QBs are also healthy, Johnson is waived. If McCoy is down, Smith could be activated from IR and one of the injured guys takes his spot on IR. Either way, counting Smith, the Skins should have four quarterbacks on the roster.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 2

Drew Brees, Jared Goff, Mitch Trubisky, Dak Prescott, Russell Wilson, Nick Foles

Patrick Mahomes, Tom Brady, Deshaun Watson, Lemar Jackson, Phillip Rivers, Andrew Luck

Pretty sure NFL logic says to go with the fresh/young QB unless its Nick Foles (and he had an amazing year very early in his career).

McCoy hasn't shown anything to show he has true NFL value (he had that one game a couple seasons ago).

At 15 you won't get a top choice, but you should get a QB with decent enough upside.

If you don't have a competent QB, you don't have a team.

• Like 3

Pending any major staff changes...

My first guess is they try like hell to trade up for Haskins.  

1).  Allen wants to make a splash to give fans hope, and a local guy that’s the top qb in the draft fits the bill nicely.  

2.  They believe the team is ‘close’, so losing an extra draft pick or 3 doesn’t set them back much (in their eyes).  

3.  They sell it to Snyder as the ‘original plan’ (drafting a 1st rounder to take over for Smith), just accelerated due to his injury.  

They keep Reed (to help the new qb), try to re-sign AP and Crowder, sign or draft a guard (maybe draft a receiver) and are happy with the offense.  Especially since the rook likely buys an additional year or two for Allen (and Gruden).  

On D - possibly ditch Manusky, let Smith walk, cut/trade Norman, sign a safety (Mathieu?) and maybe an ILB (Preston Brown?) or corner.  Look to draft for OLB and another S. 

If they’re delusional enough (they probably are), maybe they do go for a FA.  The problem there is it becomes a do or die year (and limits their FA)... so if they’re not quite that delusional, they might actually see the risk there and reject it.  

I dont like either situation, but I’d prefer option 1... option 2 just plain stinks.  

Edit:  I think the ‘good news’, in terms of trading up, is that we might ought to be able to trade with Oakland, rather than to top 3.  Don’t see the top 3 being willing to trade out, while Oakland has the add’l 1sts and I don’t see a must grab prospect at 4 for them.  I’d be worried about (winning) a bidding war with the Gmen, but at least the family ties could help.  :)

Edited by skinny21
  • Like 1

The Skins are literally too stupid to draft a QB.  We will take the "always draft the BPA" stance. because Bruce heard someone firmly say that one time.  The problem is the B now stands for Bama, and that rules out many other great players.  We went with vet QBs and were coinflippingly TM close to the playoffs and I see no reason to think Bruce will flounder.

We should have looted a practice squad for a QB once Bruce considered Sanchez. Maybe Bruce does a mind numbing desperation overpay trade up and pawns off more of our best young players.... either way its going to be ugly.

tenor.gif?itemid=4200659

Edited by RandyHolt

Draft a QB, whoever the best prospect is at #15. Let Johnson and McCoy battle it out for the backup spot.

At this point we might as well roll the dice on Drew Lock or Daniel Jones. I guess Haskins is a possibility as well. See how the combine plays out and select the best one. We have nothing else, might as well try.

On 1/2/2019 at 2:42 AM, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

My guess is Gruden, if he's here, would happily roll with McCoy in 2019.

That probably won't wash with Bruce. He will want another toy. Damn, maybe Fitzpatrick on a one year deal comes into play. 

Either way, I want us to draft a QB as well.

Yep. Gruden would go with Colt and a rookie, but Bruce calls all the shots so he’ll just have to wait and see like the rest of us.

19 minutes ago, Thomas Finney said:

Now that Jay has shown he is willing to adjust his scheme for a mobile QB, maybe RG3 can have another shot. I'm not sure why he didn't do this when we had the future of the franchise invested in Robert, but hey, maybe the second time's the charm, huh?

I think there is a better chance Dan would like that idea.  In fact, if he wants to get out of the 10M left on Jay’s deal, he should sign Griffin as that might send Jay packing on his own free will.

32 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I think there is a better chance Dan would like that idea.  In fact, if he wants to get out of the 10M left on Jay’s deal, he should sign Griffin as that might send Jay packing on his own free will.

This deal gets better and better. And the RG3 jersey I bought my oldest son in 2012 will now fit my youngest. Make it happen Dan!

Edited by Thomas Finney