Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Starting QB 2019???

Renegade7

Who should be the starting QB in 2019???  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the starting QB in 2019???

• Alex Smith
    • Colt McCoy
    • Trade for a Veteran
    • Sign a Veteran
    • First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Non-First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Too Early to Answer
    • I don't know yet
    • We're screwed (at least at QB for 2019)

Our quarterback situation just went from crippled to solid veteran and it's only costing us 3.5 million in cap (which is nothing for the position) and a meaningless swap of late picks not even this year.

Very solid move especially considering there's still the whole offseason to shore up the position even more.

If we draft a quarterback now I'd say we did an astonishing job of getting out of the steaming pile of **** that we were in with Smith's contract and probability of never playing again. 

8 minutes ago, volsmet said:

I hate to break it to you esteemed gentlemen, but there is a... better than 50% chance that we are making this move hoping it helps us become more attractive to Antonio Brown. Delusional, par for the course.

If you guys think we are after Brown, and plan on playing a rookie QB, you’re nuts. I envy that. Keenum is our lead recruiter right now. 

I'm trying to imagine the mental contortions needed to think what you wrote is at all realistic lol...

My take: Cards want too much for Rosen, Skins in a cap bind due to Smith's shattered leg and were looking for a cheap upgrade to Mark Sanchez and Josh Johnson, Broncos traded for Flacco so they needed to dump Keenum.  1 + 1 + 1 = Come on down, Case.

2 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Sooo.....case Keenum starter for 2019? That lands us the 1st overall pick in the 2020 draft how? Why not just **** the 2019 season and lose the whole season in order to draft one of tuba/Fromm? Keenum just ensures we stay between 7-9 and 9-7....**** that. 

Front office SUCKS 

FO is AWFUL.... but that doesnt take away that this was a great value trade. Case gives you a better and healthier player than Colt without jeopardizing cap space or assets. solid move from someone who HATED the trade before the details came out ( I assumed we'd take on all the money and give up a pick)

1 hour ago, RWJ said:

Don't know what to think about this?  As far as compensation pretty good but as far as money we need to do a good job restructuring Keenum's deal.  That would be the dicey part.  He's an OK player but wonder how this affect us drafting a QB this year?

If they want a pick, we should just trade them a 2019 6th for Keenum and a 2020 6th. 

Keenum's replacement level talent w/some degree of upside, but he won't reach it here as we don't have the pass catching talent to help him produce at a high level. 

In Minnesota he had two pro bowl caliber WR's, Rudolph having a career year, in Denver, he had Manny Sanders, and Demaryius until he was traded, and a solid slot guy in Daesean Hamilton, Courtland Sutton kinda disappointed, and then Lindsay having an extraordinary season. 

Here he's got a much better OL, but our WR's are disappointing at best, our TE position is a wasteland (Reed on last legs, Sprinkle a placeholder level talent), and RB is we'll see where I love Guice and Thompson, but both have been injury prone. So the Redskins are largely the worst situation he's played in since he drowned under the incompetent Fisher administration in LA. W/that knowledge in tow, a bottom 5-10 ranking in QBR seems the most likely scenario. 

1 minute ago, Califan007 said:

I'm trying to imagine the mental contortions needed to think what you wrote is at all realistic lol...

My take: Cards want too much for Rosen, Skins in a cap bind due to Smith's shattered leg and were looking for a cheap upgrade to Mark Sanchez and Josh Johnson, Broncos traded for Flacco so they needed to dump Keenum.  1 + 1 + 1 = Come on down, Case.

ahhh so it appears our FO is showing restraint and not going all in on Rosen. That at least is a positive.. we can still get him but w ont go crazy.

11 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Anybody think there is any truth to this?

Seems a little much. This isnt the NBA. That said, it really gives the Cards money back for the signing bonus they gave to Rosen.

I.E.

"We paid for Rosens bonus, so pay for Keenums guaranteed amount/converted bonus so he would only cost us 1-2M"

6 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Ppl here are so eager to **** on the FO they can't see the potential of this as 1 in a series of moves -- as others, like SIP, have mentioned.

This does not prevent a Rosen trade or even a move for Murray. What it DOES prevent is insane overpayment out of desperation. This is a positive sign.

giphy.gif

I think this confirms McCoy as the most likely starter tbh. 

Given Gruden has a proper hard on for McCoy I'd say this is just an insurance move for when McCoy inevitably gets injured in week 3.

Not sure if there's been a less inspiring QB battle in the history of the NFL than McCoy v Keenum. 

20 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

My take for now is for that price, I am in no panic about Casey Keenum.  And we don't know if they are done at QB. 

I'm in a panic because I fear they ARE done at QB.

Yes, they might draft a midround guy but that's just a "meh" move imo.

3 minutes ago, SkinsFootball said:

ahhh so it appears our FO is showing restraint and not going all in on Rosen. That at least is a positive.. we can still get him but w ont go crazy.

Just my take, but yeah...with all the "smoke" surounding how legit the Skins' interest in Rosen was, I'm thinking the detour into Keenum was instigated by the Cards feeling that a 3rd wasn't nearly enough and the Skins thinking they have two 3rds and really don't wanna give up anything higher.

Who knows, maybe they're finagling stuff behind the scenes to go after a top FA safety, and realize they couldn't do that and meet the Cards' demands for Rosen.

The more I think about this the more I like it.  Gotta give the FO credit.  This does fix a need at a low cost.  Doesn’t work for those calling to blow things up and start over but it’s a decent deal for the skins.  Better than over paying or trading picks to move up IMO.  

39 minutes ago, dckey said:

Keenum will only cost us 7mil and only has a year left on the deal.  Better than Rosen for the next 3 years.  Hopefully we get to keep all 4 of our picks in rounds 1-3.  

Rosen owed <$7M for 3 yrs - Not sure how that's worse than Keenum $7M for one yr. 

For all those losing their minds over Keenum all I can say is - easy now! Could be they are kicking those tires to remind AZ Rosen is not their only option. Could be a 3 way trade. 

And although Keenum is not my first choice if they get his number down to the $5M to $7M spot for no more than 2 yrs, Ok I can live with that. Just to be clear I see Rosen as a much better option but maybe AZ has lost thier minds and want way too much for him figuring they have a cheap backup to Murray. 

I would not get too excited until all is said and done 

Edit: Just saw it's a done deal. 

7 minutes ago, pcbothwel said:

FO is AWFUL.... but that doesnt take away that this was a great value trade. Case gives you a better and healthier player than Colt without jeopardizing cap space or assets. solid move from someone who HATED the trade before the details came out ( I assumed we'd take on all the money and give up a pick)

The redskins don’t need a better player now. They need a better player in the 2020 draft. They need to go 3-13 or 4-12 in 2019 so they can get that better QB. Sure, fans will whine and say they’re done being fans of the team. But we all know when tua/Fromm become our franchise QB and win us games, and a playoff game, fans will be like “yayyy!!!! Never doubted this team for a minute” and everything will be good again 🤷🏻‍♂️

1 minute ago, goskins10 said:

Rosen owed <$7M for 3 yrs - Not sure how that's worse than Keenum $7M for one yr. 

For all those losing their minds over Keenum all I can say is - easy now! Nothing has actually happened yet. Could be they are kicking those tires to remind AZ Rosen is not their only option. Could be a 3 way trade. 

And although Keenum is not my first choice if they get his number down to the $5M to $7M spot for no more than 2 yrs, Ok I can live with that. Just to be clear I see Rosen as a much better option but maybe AZ has lost thier minds and want way too much for him figuring they have a cheap backup to Murray. 

I would not get too excited until something actually happens. Lot's of lies and subterfuge gonig on this time of year. Can't really believe anything until it happens. 

Wasn't the reported deal that the Skins would only owe $3.5M for one year, not $7M?

I was worried about the money and picks with the initial report, but now I’m not getting the angst.  

We weren’t going for a tank job this year - self preservation doesn’t work that way.  So, with that in mind, I don’t see how you can look at this as a bad move, particularly when there were far worse alternatives.  

Just now, Califan007 said:

Wasn't the reported deal that the Skins would only owe $3.5M for one year, not $7M?

Ok Mr Attorney  - It was in direct response to someone saying $7M for Keenum was better than Rosen. Read the whole thing next time??  🙂   :cheers:    

17 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

It helps to know how these things work in real life. 

Washington wants Brown.

Keenum was able to help Diggs & AT blow up.

Cousins put up good numbers in Washington. 

Cousins got worse in Minny.

ipso facto colombo oreo:

We can get more out of Case than Minny did. 

That’s our play, Cali. Redskins 101. 

tenor.gif?itemid=7720100

18 minutes ago, Morrison J said:

I think this confirms McCoy as the most likely starter tbh. 

Given Gruden has a proper hard on for McCoy I'd say this is just an insurance move for when McCoy inevitably gets injured in week 3.

Not sure if there's been a less inspiring QB battle in the history of the NFL than McCoy v Keenum. 

It happened with the redskins not long ago. Beck v grossman. 

The skins management goes full retard every couple years. Starting Jc forever, mcnabb trade, haynesworth trade, rg3 trade, cousins handling, smith trade..

I feel like we are due for a clean year from management but I know they can **** it up any moment. This move has me uneasy until I figure out exactly what is going on. 

I don't feel like 3.5 mil is crazy for someone who will currently start at qb. I don't really want him starting though. He's good for at least 5 wins. 

7 minutes ago, Idaho fan said:

The more I think about this the more I like it.  Gotta give the FO credit.  This does fix a need at a low cost.  Doesn’t work for those calling to blow things up and start over but it’s a decent deal for the skins.  Better than over paying or trading picks to move up IMO.  

Better than overpaying... few things are.

Archived