Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Starting QB 2019???

Renegade7

Who should be the starting QB in 2019???  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the starting QB in 2019???

• Alex Smith
    • Colt McCoy
    • Trade for a Veteran
    • Sign a Veteran
    • First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Non-First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Too Early to Answer
    • I don't know yet
    • We're screwed (at least at QB for 2019)

wether its a career ender or not.. doesn't matter.. expecting a 35 y old QB to make a 100% recovery when mobility is a MAJOR factor to his game is unrealistic. even if he recovers, he will most definitely lose a step or two. Alex Smith that cant run is a Trent Dilfer. Skins MUST find a qb in the offseason.

6 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Colt is under contract next year here. There are some playing time clauses that void the extra year but in last contract that was 65% of offensive snaps. Assuming its the same clause in this contract (and it might not be) then it's likely Colt is already under contract for 2019.

Good to know, gonna look around to confirm that.

6 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I think a lot of people are hoping we move on from him based on his performance, the broken leg is just an excuse....

That's true, it could take a while for him to get back to form, which wasn't good to begin with this year.  It'd be really hard to convince me he's not done even if he's still under contract, that's what's so disturbing to me about this whole situation.

18 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

Here's a list of a bunch of free agent QBs currently available.  

Slim pickings for sure.  I would love to bring in bridgewater, but I highly doubt saints let him get away after they gave up a decent draft pick

13 minutes ago, oraphus said:

Skins MUST find a qb in the offseason.

Maybe follow the jets plan.  Draft a QB high and sign mccown to short term deal to mentor.

I don't think this is a very good QB class.  Hebert will be gone, and I want nothing do with Ryan Finley, who seems to be a poor man's version of Alex smith.  

For the rest of they year I'd be comfortable with a band aid like Sanchez, not expecting him at all to play - just because he's familiar with people on the coaching staff. But going into the offseason, I'd like to use quite a few spots on the roster on developmental QBs, like Stephen Morris type guys who we can bring in to develop. 

It really sucks now that we cut both Kevin Hogan and Nate Sudfeld, as they'd be nice to have right now. I'm a fan of 3 QBs for this reason, having a Trent Green type on the roster who can grow into a starter or at least steer the ship in the event that Colt gets hurt.

That's why I'd like to pick a QB off a practice squad but I doubt it happens because we're on a short week and we can't workout guys on practice squads. 

One of the talking heads on last night forgot whom said the Colt can opt out of the contract and to keep that in mind if he does well.  They didn't say nor could I find if the opt out is based on 65% playing time like his previous contract.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/redskins-agree-contract-extension-qb-colt-mccoy

The extension is worth up to $7 million and it contains voids and buyback provisions. While we don’t have details at this time, there likely are bonuses and other clauses that will protect McCoy from playing at well below market value in 2019 if he gets an opportunity this year and shines.

53 minutes ago, QRF21 said:

Will Teddy Bridgewater be available next year?

His contract is a bit funky. He signed an extension which added two years to his deal - but that has an automatic void in it before the start of the league year. So I THINK that unless the Saints have a team option to remove that automatic void he will be a free agent for 2019. Not sure we will be able to afford to sin him though while also carrying the cap charge and salary for Smith.

2 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

I agree. Also keeps the cost down, depending how much we are taking up the tail off Alex Smith's deal.

71 Million is guaranteed for Alex Smith. So yeah we aren't getting out of that. So we paid Alex and he hasn't looked good all year. I'm sure he's going to try to come back. That leaves Colt starting the year with Alex still trying to work back. Rookie would be the way to go. Problem is we will be to high to get one of the top one's in a weak draft for Qbs. This team is pretty much screwed because they have never been able to find a QB and I don't see them finding one anytime soon. 

3 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

I actually think we will.

How

Alex Smith is going to just say you know what Washington let me cut you a break. That's the whole point of guaranteed money. You get it if you get hurt. Why do you think Bell is sitting out the year for. We will not get that money back and that's a 71 million dollar guarantee. 

2 minutes ago, desertbeagle85 said:

How

Alex Smith is going to just say you know what Washington let me cut you a break. That's the whole point of guaranteed money. You get it if you get hurt. Why do you think Bell is sitting out the year for. We will not get that money back and that's a 71 million dollar guarantee. 

It is not a 71mil guarantee yet. But it's a pointless conversation right now. I'll happily disagree and let things unfold.

1 minute ago, desertbeagle85 said:

Yep exactly we will be in QB hell for the next 3 years probably longer. Alex Smith isn't going anywhere. So our only option is to put KC like talent around him and hire Andy Reid. 

If it prevents us from making the disastrous decision to panic and reach in this draft for a QB, then so be it. 

No need to make a stupid personnel decision to make up for another stupid personnel decision. 

(What we need to do is get rid of Allen but that's a topic for another existing thread)

11 hours ago, Morneblade said:

You know, when you mention Paxton Lynch as a backup, it makes me throw up a little in my mouth.

But then.......................when I think of who else is actually available............................I'd almost rather go after guys that are retired.

Yay Paxton Lynch. :kickcan:

Mark Sanchez! Just wanting to see your reaction to that😁

Archived