Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Starting QB 2019???

Renegade7

Who should be the starting QB in 2019???  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the starting QB in 2019???

• Alex Smith
    • Colt McCoy
    • Trade for a Veteran
    • Sign a Veteran
    • First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Non-First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Too Early to Answer
    • I don't know yet
    • We're screwed (at least at QB for 2019)

29 minutes ago, Darth Tater said:

Don't get the hate for McCoy. He is a better option than most of the FA we can sign.  

• We roll with Colt and limp through the season as expected.  We have a new coach and FO with daft picks and resources, very exciting possibility which will energize the fanbase.
  •  
  • We sign a FA (who we can afford) and limp through the season. How is that not a wash with option 1 except we may now be in a worse position?
  •  
  • We sign a FA and turn in another mediocre season.  Fanbase is still in an uproar, we likely see no real changes and will have fewer resources.
  •  
  • Another possible result, the Colt haters are wrong and he gets us a mediocre season.  This is super exciting especially if we add a project QB like Rypien and the mediocre season means another missed playoff year (new FO and coaching staff likley).  That is an in-your-face, especially to Bruce as that means we'd have been better off not trading for Alex.  In fact, that is the only reason I think Bruce may want to bring in an FA from the outside.

By the way, I hear the 49ers are shopping Mullens.  Right now the best offer is from Denver for a 6 and the rumour is that they'll take it.

Colt cannot stay healthy for more than 2-3 games. He’s the perfect tank option though.

3 hours ago, HigSkin said:

Rolling with Colt is the wise, disciplined thing to do as an organization in my opinioin. Think about it, the Skins went 6-3 with Alex Smith who did very little. They did it by running the ball and playing tough defense. Add pieces in free agency and in the draft and stick with that same formula with Colt. Beefing up the essential areas of need and staying healthy will keep the Skins competitive in the NFC. And, if Colt is a disaster, then our record is bad and we draft a QB next year when there should be more to choose from and fewer teams that need QB's. Essentially, we aren't going to the SB this year with whoever we put at QB barring some unbelievable good fortune. Take 2019 to add pieces and see if you can't ride the 2018 run the ball formula into success with a healthier team in 2019.

21 minutes ago, JoggingGod said:

Colt cannot stay healthy for more than 2-3 games. He’s the perfect tank option though.

There will be solid vets to back Colt up that we can get.....Tannehill, Fitzmagic, possibly Keenum and to a lesser extent Bridgewater. I'd be fine with Colt/Tannehill or Colt/Fitz while taking a QB that we like who falls to us in the draft somewhere. 

1 hour ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

Oh I get the point bud and am familiar with sucking to improve your chance of getting a top qb next year and how Colt fits that narrative. There are 0 guarantees that the problem would be solved thru this approach and the current reality of our FO is we aren't likely to do that.   Given the skins situation with the fans, I just don't see why you don't start to try and address what is the biggest question mark for the team this year and until they get it solved. But we'll see how we attack the issue, no matter what or who is there I'll be riding with my Skins..  Should be fun to see what we do...

There are 0 guarantees the problem would be solved with your approach. So maybe we can move past that as an argument. 

I think you are still missing a little bit of my point. I don;t really care if our draft pick is better next year or not. I don;t like spending resources on this crop of QBs with thew team we have now. If we end up in a better position in terms of draft pick that's a bonus not my primary goal. I do not like the QBs coming out this year that will go in the top 15. None of them are worth the draft capitol it would take to move up - and beyond that I believe there are better uses for the 1st rd pick. 

As I stated elsewhere I do not make my decisions based on fans. Bruce does - and in fairness has to. It's a luxury I have being a fan that I don't have to care. 

I am pretty certain you will get your way. They will make a play for a QB - either trade up for one unless they get truly lucky and one falls to them - or bring in a semi high priced veteran. The only one you may get kind of cheap is Bridgewater. The rest I believe will be in the $12M to $15M/yr range at least. The bigger question would be for how long. I honestly see a veteran FA as less likely - especially if they think Alex has a good chance of coming back. 

The only thing I am confident in is that when presented with the options, they will make the worst decision possible. So we have that going for us. 

7 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

There are 0 guarantees the problem would be solved with your approach. So maybe we can move past that as an argument. 

I think you are still missing a little bit of my point. I don;t really care if our draft pick is better next year or not. I don;t like spending resources on this crop of QBs with thew team we have now. If we end up in a better position in terms of draft pick that's a bonus not my primary goal. I do not like the QBs coming out this year that will go in the top 15. None of them are worth the draft capitol it would take to move up - and beyond that I believe there are better uses for the 1st rd pick. 

As I stated elsewhere I do not make my decisions based on fans. Bruce does - and in fairness has to. It's a luxury I have being a fan that I don't have to care. 

I am pretty certain you will get your way. They will make a play for a QB - either trade up for one unless they get truly lucky and one falls to them - or bring in a semi high priced veteran. The only one you may get kind of cheap is Bridgewater. The rest I believe will be in the $12M to $15M/yr range at least. The bigger question would be for how long. I honestly see a veteran FA as less likely - especially if they think Alex has a good chance of coming back. 

The only thing I am confident in is that when presented with the options, they will make the worst decision possible. So we have that going for us. 

I hear you. If Jay likes a QB in this draft that he feels we can make work, I'm ok with that. I don't think they will spend big on a FA if its that route. QB is a position I have a real tough time gauging, so I'll leave it in Jays hands. Bridgewater is my choice from the Veteran FA's, I think he can be had cheap relatively speaking. He may end up being either no better or only slightly better than Colt, or he takes several steps forward in his development and is significantly better.  He at least has the potential for some upside given his age and relative inexperience.  In That scenario they would also take a flyer on  a QB 3-5th round. So  honestly I don't think we are that far off from each other, from waiting until next year. You have to take a QB in this draft at some point I believe.  It would be almost irresponsible to not. But its all good man, it's not what I want or my way, it'll be what it is.  If its this year lets say with Colt/Teddy/Rook flames out miserably we can always try again next year. But not addressing it at all would be a tough pill to swallow for me imo.

1 hour ago, Darth Tater said:

Don't get the hate for McCoy. He is a better option than most of the FA we can sign.  

• We roll with Colt and limp through the season as expected.

The hate for the McCoy is exactly as you explained it in the next paragraph. McCoy will be limping by halftime of his third game. That third game may or may not be the preseason game.

Given the status of the club/cap...*I* think we owe Colt a shot at a full season. He's been a team player..waiting..performing. I would hate it if the Skins didn't give him a shot. Next year looks pretty iffy...good D to leverage. If Colt plays close to what Alex did and doesn't force the ball and/or fight for scrub yards and take risks that get him hurt I don't see why we can't compete and MAYBE get lucky with a High Power smash mouth running game tandem.

I vote to give Colt his shot and don't go for a Foles or other Vet this year...play the hand as it stands.

What is there to risk...moving up in the 2020 draft is the worst case.

Why would Foles even want to come here unless we offered him an absurd amount of money? Jags are probably a better option. Yeah they had a down season but they basically never had a healthy Fournette and their defense is still better than ours. With a legit QB and a healthy Fournette I could easily see them getting back to 10-6 again.

I'm thinking that we go into camp with McCoy, a vet and a mid-round rookie. Let them fight it out for the starter gig and roll with it. Admittedly Colt isn't great, but neither was Alex, and if he could run this offense and help us win then so can McCoy.

I'd like to see us draft a blocking TE, a big-ass nasty guard and also pick up a couple of free agent FBs. This should help beef up the run game (Peterson and Guice), which in turn should help the QB stay healthy. I don't think that we're a bad team (not real good, but not bad) and 7-9 should be thought of as the floor, not the ceiling. I don't think that we get to pick early next year.

just as long as we don't do anything stupid in the draft, like trading up. We've got holes to fill and giving away picks don't solve it IMO.

4 hours ago, JoggingGod said:

And why is that bad?  For us fans and Snyder if he wants to keep those fans, the worse thing that could happen is to go 9-7 or 10-6 with a one and done playoff assuming we go the FA route or the trade up route (thank god, that looks to be off the table).

Heck, 7-9 is probably better.  We'll have better resources and a new coach/FO (buys Snyder another 2-3 years at least). Go 9-7 or 10-6 with a one and done playoff, we are pretty much the same team as the year before.  Wormtounge 2.0 can claim he was right.  Marv Gruden gets another year.  Fans get another year of mediocrity.

2 minutes ago, London Kev said:

I'm thinking that we go into camp with McCoy, a vet and a mid-round rookie. Let them fight it out for the starter gig and roll with it. Admittedly Colt isn't great, but neither was Alex, and if he could run this offense and help us win then so can McCoy.

I'd like to see us draft a blocking TE, a big-ass nasty guard and also pick up a couple of free agent FBs. This should help beef up the run game (Peterson and Guice), which in turn should help the QB stay healthy. I don't think that we're a bad team (not real good, but not bad) and 7-9 should be thought of as the floor, not the ceiling. I don't think that we get to pick early next year.

just as long as we don't do anything stupid in the draft, like trading up. We've got holes to fill and giving away picks don't solve it IMO.

We've got one of those free agent FBs in Wellman

18 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Not sure I agree but it should be interesting if this picks up some real steam if the Cards decide to trade him. 

Boy that wouldn’t be that tough a call and I would lean to the hell nah. He didn’t look so hot the first year, Granted it was a bad situation but he’s got talent  . Just checked the stats and he had 11TDs and 19 turnovers 14 ints and 5 fumbles. Threw for 55%. I’d  low ball the hell out of them. I’d maybe start with our 5th and maybe go up to the lowest 3rd rounder if Jay says he’s got the chops.. I’m no an expert that’s for sure.. His college stats don’t really blow you away either btw..

15 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

Boy that wouldn’t be that tough a call and I would lean to the hell nah. He didn’t look so hot the first year, Granted it was a bad situation but he’s got talent  . Just checked the stats and he had 11TDs and 19 turnovers 14 ints and 5 fumbles. Threw for 55%. I’d  low ball the hell out of them. I’d maybe start with our 5th and maybe go up to the lowest 3rd rounder if Jay says he’s got the chops.. I’m no an expert that’s for sure.. His college stats don’t really blow you away either btw..

I can't see any possibility that they'd go any lower than maybe a 2nd + players or other picks. That was a 2018 10th overall pick. Yeah he had a somewhat underwhelming year but it wasn't that awful by rookie standards and he had an awful supporting cast including one of the worst OLs in the NFL. He also showed some flashes of really nice play. 

I still don't think they'll take Murray. A team won't throw away a 10th overall QB pick that fast. Even Leaf and Shuler got a couple years and they were both WAY WAY worse than Rosen their rookie seasons.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Not sure I agree but it should be interesting if this picks up some real steam if the Cards decide to trade him. 

I hope Miami bites on this one and gives Skins more QB draft options.  Big NO to Rosen!

If the Bengals are looking to draft a QB this year, I think we could possible trade for Dalton on the cheap. Maybe something like a 5th and a 7th for Andy. Then in the late rounds give me either Gardner Minshew or Brett Rypien.

Dalton and Colt can battle for the starting roll. Are late rounder in Minshew/Rypien is the 3rd string developmental project. 

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

I can't see any possibility that they'd go any lower than maybe a 2nd + players or other picks. That was a 2018 10th overall pick. Yeah he had a somewhat underwhelming year but it wasn't that awful by rookie standards and he had an awful supporting cast including one of the worst OLs in the NFL. He also showed some flashes of really nice play. 

I still don't think they'll take Murray. A team won't throw away a 10th overall QB pick that fast. Even Leaf and Shuler got a couple years and they were both WAY WAY worse than Rosen their rookie seasons.

It is a unique situation because of the new coach and philosophy. And bottom line if they really do want Murray, which I’m not sold on,  then imo they aren’t going to get a premium for Rosen. Maybe a third isn’t so crazy, again if they are head over heals for Murray and there isn’t a big push for Rosen from anyone.  Let’s put it like this, if they really want Murray, the compensation for Rosen isn’t gonna stop them from moving on imo.

Big NO on rosen!!...i thought cowboy-killa had a good point a few posts above... I feel he needs to mature a lot.. I might not have any right saying this or feeling this because I know nothing about college ball but from what I've seen of Rosen I think he's to imature.. I guess I can YouTube highlights from his first year...but still..meh..

39 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Big NO on rosen!!...i thought cowboy-killa had a good point a few posts above... I feel he needs to mature a lot.. I might not have any right saying this or feeling this because I know nothing about college ball but from what I've seen of Rosen I think he's to imature.. I guess I can YouTube highlights from his first year...but still..meh..

To me it would depend on what they wanted. If they would do a 2nd rounder I would easily pull the trigger. Rosen is a really polished passer with great footwork and mechanics, plus arm strength and accuracy, smart, and has experience in pro-style offensive systems prior to the NFL. Yeah he had a ho hum rookie season but the dude was sacked 45 times. Sure, sometimes it was partly his fault but I watched a few games and his OL was really just that bad as well. 

18 minutes ago, mistertim said:

To me it would depend on what they wanted. If they would do a 2nd rounder I would easily pull the trigger. Rosen is a really polished passer with great footwork and mechanics, plus arm strength and accuracy, smart, and has experience in pro-style offensive systems prior to the NFL. Yeah he had a ho hum rookie season but the dude was sacked 45 times. Sure, sometimes it was partly his fault but I watched a few games and his OL was really just that bad as well. 

Ok...I appreciate ya sharing that.. hearing something like this helps me ease into the transition of accepting the possibilities of this happening haha...there are rumors..I mean he is pretty much a rookie still and if it's the Redskins intentions to get a QB this draft than it might be a route they consider.

3 hours ago, Rogue Jedi said:

Can someone explain to me what's so great about the 2020 QB draft class? Tua looks like a worse Marcus Mariota, and I'm not sold on Trevor Lawrence... 

I'd take Murray over pretty much any 2020 QB.

Uhhhh...WHAT????

Lawrence is the best prospect since Luck and he’s not even going in 2020.

If Skins end up with Rosen for second round pick that’s an amazing get. Rosen is a great talent and would be project to be a great fit in Grudens offense. His guarantees would accelerate in be take on by Cardinals, making his rookie deal even better.

The Cardinals were easily the worst team on offense schematically and bottom tier talent wise. 

Rosen said the following in an interview before last years draft that would get him killed on Skins.  LOL

"Look, football and school don't go together," Rosen explained. "They just don't. Trying to do both is like trying to do two full-time jobs. There are guys who have no business being in school, but they're here because this is the path to the NFL. There's no other way. Then there's the other side that says raise the SAT eligibility requirements. OK, raise the SAT requirement at Alabama and see what kind of team they have. You lose athletes and then the product on the field suffers."

And another one falls in line with this rumor about Rosen to Skins 

And then there's this in maybe connecting some dots...

Archived