Renegade7

Starting QB 2019???

Who should be the starting QB in 2019???  

401 members have voted

  1. 1. Who should be the starting QB in 2019???

    • Alex Smith
      28
    • Colt McCoy
      66
    • Trade for a Veteran
      8
    • Sign a Veteran
      29
    • First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
      65
    • Non-First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
      37
    • Too Early to Answer
      63
    • I don't know yet
      22
    • We're screwed (at least at QB for 2019)
      83


Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Its frustrating. In all my life i have Yet to see a QB who we can count on to get us to the playoffs each season. I doubt we’ll have one until 2021, maybe even longer than that...ugh. 

The last QB to fit that description was Joe Theisman.  I barely remember Joe playing..  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Saints are in bad cap shape next year, I think, but I bet in a perfect world (for them definitely, maybe him) Teddy will want to stay there to take the reins from Brees.

 

OK: If this is right, slightly worse off than us. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2019/ , but they appear to have more free agents to worry about.

 

Edited by SoulSkin
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Way too early to tell.  Colt has not played much football in the past few years so he is very fresh and who know might surprise us.  What if he plays well and takes us to the playoffs and wins a game.  You don't give him a chance next year?  In such a case you draft a good prospect and you let him sit behind Colt to learn.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

RG3 and Colin Kaepernick will be free agents this offseason 

 

Image result for evil laughter gif

 

 You're not even remotely funny.

 It doesn't matter who they get, they're going to struggle with Gruden's system. Hec, even HE gets confused with it.

 

 New QB.

New HC

New OC

Replacement for Allen.

We HAD some of this equation already but let him go to the Rams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jericho said:

 

Not really sure why the Giants would trade Lauletta. In the division no less. They have their own QB problems. So if they dump Lauletta, it's likely for good reason. Unless the Redskins want to just overpay

(IMO) At the time, it looked the Giants were going all in for a QB in the 2019 draft. Suck for Luck part deaux. Kyle needs development and tutelage. I have a feeling that it would indeed take overpaying now, but 4 weeks ago a 4th rounder probably could have pried him away. It's still worth a phonecall to NY, even if just to put out feelers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

 

 You're not even remotely funny.

 It doesn't matter who they get, they're going to struggle with Gruden's system. Hec, even HE gets confused with it.

 

 New QB.

New HC

New OC

Replacement for Allen.

We HAD some of this equation already but let him go to the Rams.

 

I like messing with ya'll. 

 

This is a thread about next QB, but I'm not going to support getting rid of Jay if we make the playoffs, I can't do it.  He should earn another year with that, especially if that offense looks anything like it did when Colt came in for the rest of the year.  You're being overdramatic with the OC because if Jay is calling plays its not clear what he's even screwing up, if anything.  And as for Allen, I agree he should be gone, but he's already been replaced by Doug Williams, who I trust right now.

17 minutes ago, TheGreek1973 said:

Way too early to tell.  Colt has not played much football in the past few years so he is very fresh and who know might surprise us.  What if he plays well and takes us to the playoffs and wins a game.  You don't give him a chance next year?  In such a case you draft a good prospect and you let him sit behind Colt to learn.

Brought this up in the Colt thread, if he wins a playoff game, I would not make getting his immediate replacement a priority, but I would still work to get his eventual replacement.  He has to prove he can be the answer as a starting QB going forward, but we need to keep in mind he's 32 already, so he'll be 33 at start of next season.  Basically I think we need to get someone, whoever we bring in this week will be to the backup, not the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, max21 said:

Tank next year with Colt and get whoever the top QB is in 2020 

Why should we tank next year with Colt if we could be a playoff team this year?  If there's someone that good next year, lets just make this team as good as we can this offseason and prepare to trade up for our guy in 2020 draft.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find it funny how everytime someone breaks a leg nowadays, people start saying that he is done, career over etc. I mean don’t get me wrong, I know it’s a painful and very serious injury, but this is not 1967 anymore. Alex still has about 15 million reasons to recover and come back to play next year. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

smith has got 70mil gtd for injury so the only qb we can afford is a draft pick... kinda.... narrows it down. It’s either smith, mc coy, or a draft pick. I don’t think we can afford a bridgewater...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, RedskinsSerbia said:

I find it funny how everytime someone breaks a leg nowadays, people start saying that he is done, career over etc. I mean don’t get me wrong, I know it’s a painful and very serious injury, but this is not 1967 anymore. Alex still has about 15 million reasons to recover and come back to play next year. 

 

Think its different for a mobile QB who will be 35 at the start of next season who was doing a terrible job passing the ball.  If it takes him a while to get his mobility back, we're not just talking about getting back to where he was, because that wasn't good enough this year, he's been terrible this year.  We're talking about is he ever going to be the QB we gave that contract to.  I thought it might be today, but if you looked at his box score, it was actually one of his worst games, and that's not counting the interceptions.  I think he should be done, he should retire, will he is a different conversation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Nick Mullins? Why? At least right now, he’s unproven. 

Well, he is unproven, but has looked good in limited playing time. I dint know what his pros and cons are but he's a guy who could at least develop into a nice starter. Plus SF just paid Jimmy G so Nick won't be somebody they want to keep long term. Same for Bethard. 

 

Question is would one get cut or do we trade? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We aren’t going to be in a position to get any top QB prospects.

 

We should just start filling holes in other areas until we are in a position to draft a good prospect or get one in FA.

 

We need:

Edge rusher

LG

WR

probably a TE

Another ILB

CB

FS

 

QB is the most important position but I’m done just wasting money or drafting the wrong guy at the wrong place

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With Smith's contract situation, there's no way we can afford a vet qb. Couple that with the contacts of Reed, Norman, Trent, Moses Kerrigan and Brandon's upcoming deal, and

we're stuck rolling with Colt and a rookie in next year's draft.

 

Problem is Colt takes too many hits and is not the most durable guy to begin with.

In other words, unless we get some rookie that balls out and guice comes back 100%, we're up piss creek, with paddles this deep, we're still gonna sink.

Not that things were rosy with Alex, his contact really hamstrings us in a bad way. Bruce completely screwed the pooch with that one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, KDawg said:

2019 is not the year you draft a QB, in my opinion. You hold out for 2020 if you can.

 

Id go into 2019 with McCoy and a young veteran (CJ, Mullens, etc) that could compete for a job. Maybe a flyer on a mid round QB. If we luck out and get a gem, awesome. If not we do what we can in the 2020 draft to acquire the best QB we can.

 

I'd see if we could get Bridgewater. We're not going to have much money to work with though. So, that isn't very likely. Outside of that, I agree with you. 19' isn't looking like a good QB year, we'd be better off with Colt and a young kid as you suggested.

 

And then, there is Smith. What do you do if he ends up being healthy? Do you play him or not? He's getting paid regardless, so do you put him out there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've liked Teddy since he was drafted. Definitely the route I'd go.

 

This upcoming draft is void of QBs. I was joking the other day about being happy the giants are taking one this year and not last year or next.

 

Start Colt this year, put Lynch behind him. Get someone on the practice squad and roll with it.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

I've liked Teddy since he was drafted. Definitely the route I'd go.

 

This upcoming draft is void of QBs. I was joking the other day about being happy the giants are taking one this year and not last year or next.

 

Start Colt this year, put Lynch behind him. Get someone on the practice squad and roll with it.

 

You know, when you mention Paxton Lynch as a backup, it makes me throw up a little in my mouth.

 

But then.......................when I think of who else is actually available............................I'd almost rather go after guys that are retired.

 

Yay Paxton Lynch. :kickcan:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Morneblade said:

 

You know, when you mention Paxton Lynch as a backup, it makes me throw up a little in my mouth.

 

But then.......................when I think of who else is actually available............................I'd almost rather go after guys that are retired.

 

Yay Paxton Lynch. :kickcan:

It's a shame and not just because of this year, but we're on an upswing. If this sets us back 2 years, that means rookie contracts for the Dline start showing up.. this is a momentum killer for the franchise. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

Here's a list of a bunch of free agent QBs currently available. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2018/all/quarterback/available/

 

Paxton Lynch for backup? 

 

That list is depressing man...I'm going back to bed after I change my answer from "too early to tell" to "we are screwed".  

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

It's a shame and not just because of this year, but we're on an upswing. If this sets us back 2 years, that means rookie contracts for the Dline start showing up.. this is a momentum killer for the franchise. 

 

Exactly my thoughts as well.  Not just the Dline contracts but the need for OLine as well.  While I'm optimistic about our chances the rest of this year, the FO is going to have to get pretty crafty balancing everything out for the next 3 years.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Morneblade said:

 

I'd see if we could get Bridgewater. We're not going to have much money to work with though. So, that isn't very likely. Outside of that, I agree with you. 19' isn't looking like a good QB year, we'd be better off with Colt and a young kid as you suggested.

 

And then, there is Smith. What do you do if he ends up being healthy? Do you play him or not? He's getting paid regardless, so do you put him out there?

I guess barring a miracle I wouldn't think Alex is ready by week 1..or even week 5 for that matter..it's gonna be interesting to see how it unfolds.

8 hours ago, skins island connection said:

 

 You're not even remotely funny.

 It doesn't matter who they get, they're going to struggle with Gruden's system. Hec, even HE gets confused with it.

 

 New QB.

New HC

New OC

Replacement for Allen.

We HAD some of this equation already but let him go to the Rams.

Wait, what really?...are you saying blow it all up at seasons end?..even if we squeek into the playoffs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.