Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Starting QB 2019???

Renegade7

Who should be the starting QB in 2019???  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the starting QB in 2019???

• Alex Smith
    • Colt McCoy
    • Trade for a Veteran
    • Sign a Veteran
    • First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Non-First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Too Early to Answer
    • I don't know yet
    • We're screwed (at least at QB for 2019)

5 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Here's a list of a bunch of free agent QBs currently available. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2018/all/quarterback/available/

Paxton Lynch for backup? 

What about qbs on practice squads? 

Anyone know any options from ps players?

As far as 2019 I think it'll be a combo of Colt and a draft pick. Prolly not a first rounder tho.

Regardless of who the starting QB is in 2019, the need to draft a long term replacement has just gone become a priority.  I have no idea what the upcoming draft class is like, or if there is some kind of viable trade waiting to be made, sort of like what the 49ers did to bring in Jimmy G.

I would be weary of the trade, giving up a lot of stuff, but I'd def be down with a high draft pick on a QB if the FO feels there is a guy with talent worthy of a high pick.

Who starts I am not sure, but try to get out of the Alex Smith contract if you can. Draft a young QB because Colt is not the answer.

We put all our eggs in a basket that includes two aging QBs, who are average at best. 

This is also, why I would have traded Thompson, Reed, Crowder and Preston. Not because they suck, but they are often injured or not likely to come back anyways. 

You could have used those picks to package it and move up further into the 1st. 

I suppose no one knows just yet how the leg will heal, but my guess is Smith will be ready for the start of next season. I mean, for UFC fans think no further than Anderson Silva, whose leg snapped in two. A year later, at 40 years old, he was back fighting. (I know he popped for PEDs, but still, he came back and was throwing kicks with the leg that had broken)

8 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Paxton Lynch for backup? 

That list doesn't show Chad Kelly. He might have the best upside of all these on the list with a look to the future. He has problems though.

If colt plays fairly well and stays healthy — I think the latter is a real question — then he starts and we draft a Qb.

But I have no idea how it works with Smith’s contract. Suspect we are truly screwed in that dept, but we could just eat it because colt and a rookie will be cheap. 

Barring a meltdown and a 6-10 finish Gruden is going nowhere.  We still have a reasonable schedule so even if we sink I think 8-8 at least is doable and 9 wins probably wins the division so we will be business as usual this off season.  Pray Doug Williams can find the next TB12 hiding at some D2 school because barring that we will be almost certainly be riding with Alex and Colt again in 2019.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_NFC_team_rosters

Patriots

5 Danny Etling QB

Bengals

5 Phillip Walker QB

Broncos

Garrett Grayson QB

Chiefs

Chase Litton QB

Chargers

Cardale Jones QB

2019 is not the year you draft a QB, in my opinion. You hold out for 2020 if you can.

Id go into 2019 with McCoy and a young veteran (CJ, Mullens, etc) that could compete for a job. Maybe a flyer on a mid round QB. If we luck out and get a gem, awesome. If not we do what we can in the 2020 draft to acquire the best QB we can.

I'd love to grab Kurt Benkert. He'd be worth a roster spot at least.

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

2019 is not the year you draft a QB, in my opinion. You hold out for 2020 if you can.

Id go into 2019 with McCoy and a young veteran (CJ, Mullens, etc) that could compete for a job. Maybe a flyer on a mid round QB. If we luck out and get a gem, awesome. If not we do what we can in the 2020 draft to acquire the best QB we can.

I tend to agree we might need to wait for 2020. But if we're doing that, be smart about it. Dump a couple vets, reset the cap, and stockpile draft assets for that 2020 draft.

If we go trade I would look at Jacoby Brissett unless Danny is feeling himself and wants to start throwing multiple high picks at Oakland for Derek Carr.  Now that Luck is definitely back and looking like an all pro there is window for Indy to trade Brissett before his deal runs out, he is worth a 2 at least.

I feel absolutely HORRIBLE for Alex Smith.  I'm a huge detractor of his, but I never wanted to see him go out this way.  That being said, I'm glad Colt is the next man up.  He has familiarity with Jay's offense, and I don't think the bar is too high for him to surpass Smith with production for the rest of the year.  If he can remain consistent, then the job should be Colt's to start '19.  However, using either the first or second round pick we have to take a QB is a must.  Groom that QB behind Colt for a year and then give him the keys to the car in '20. 

29 minutes ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

I would definitely be on board with Kaepernick by the way but can we all just recognize the fact that someone with his political and social beliefs is never going to play for us because of the name, not that Dan would ever sign off on the deal anyway.

This is a good point.  I've said that at this point I don't think he's coming back, but if he does want to and we offer and we turn him down, I won't want to hear it was because of his convictions.  He's 31 and running out of time.

35 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Paxton Lynch for backup? 

Here is the most updated list I always count on during the season. And the QB FA list is a gigantic pile of dung. 

http://nfltraderumors.co/2018-nfl-free-agents-list/

Archived