Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Starting QB 2019???

Renegade7

Who should be the starting QB in 2019???  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the starting QB in 2019???

• Alex Smith
    • Colt McCoy
    • Trade for a Veteran
    • Sign a Veteran
    • First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Non-First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Too Early to Answer
    • I don't know yet
    • We're screwed (at least at QB for 2019)

2 hours ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

Not sure why people are saying Colt won't be available for OTA's.  His recovery is listed as 4 weeks and he is not on IR right now specifically because should we by some miracle make the playoffs, Jay intends going back to him as starter.

I think it's more because he's too injury prone to keep him around as a backup as opposed to whether or not he'll be healthy.

On 12/5/2018 at 4:45 AM, DJHJR86 said:

It's now going to be Sanchez.  It has to be at least going into OTA's because neither McCoy or Smith will be ready by then.  They absolutely need to draft a QB now.

That would probably be a dumb mistake given this draft class -  Do you want to keep barely treading water at QB for several more years? Plan should be to identify a strong QB class and maximize the opportunity to get a franchise QB. My understanding is 2020 is good and 2021 is possibly great at QB. Instead of blowing picks in 2019 I'd trade those picks for Picks in 2020 or (and?) 2021.

6 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Really, seeing as how failure is off the table, what word would you use to describe the current state of the Redskins?

You can dislike the negative takes on how the Redskins operate all you want, but the results are on our side.  

That's up to your own interpretation. If you want to call it failure, go ahead.

To me, this has been a promising season with an opportunity to take us to 10-12 wins. I pointed out that I don't like how Manusky is using our defensive players. Not necessarily the schemes but the rotations. We have a lot of players who are not getting playing time, and some setting reduced playing time that shouldn't have had their roles reduced in my opinion.

That said, focusing on the statement like Gruden is a bad hire or Snyder is a bad owner or Allen is a bad GM ignore why our teams have failed in the past.

Most years we suck at stopping the run. Our special teams have sucked under Gruden. Our WRs needed (need) to improve. We have talent at a lot of positions but a lot of youth and a lot of raw latent. I like to focus on these areas and say what needs to be improved instead of a woe is me approach. This is a any given Sunday league where anybody can go on a run and we see a bunch of guys coming from nowhere to become all stars. So I'm looking more at what needs to be fixed. 

That said, I would probably like a tougher team next year. I want harder practices and tougher players. Our current approach isn't saving players health so can we at least do something to satisfy DJ and Allen's list for dominance over their opponents?

5 minutes ago, nonniey said:

That would probably be a dumb mistake given this draft class -  Do you want to keep barely treading water at QB for several more years? Plan should be to identify a strong QB class and maximize the opportunity to get a franchise QB. My understanding is 2020 is good and 2021 is possibly great at QB. Instead of blowing picks in 2019 I'd trade those picks for Picks in 2020 or (and?) 2021.

Smith isn't going to be coming back, McCoy is too injury prone, and with all of that money tied into Smith, we need a QB on the roster.  I don't want to sit through another Rex/Beck debacle.  There are potential franchise QB's in this draft.  I don't want to trade picks to get them, but if one of them falls into our lap, we have to take them.

14 minutes ago, nonniey said:

I think the draft class as a whole is a different question vs particular QBs. Every draft class had QBs who can develop into legit starters. There isn't always the Luck (who hasn't lived up to his pre draft hype) or the Manning but  you can find the Dak Prescotts or Tyrod Taylor's. 

But those guys are more a question of your draft chart. Do you want to overdraft them because of the position or do you want to go elsewhere and build a team around them? But the packers had a theme of drafting a QB every draft just to teach them, build them up, and trade them.

9 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Smith isn't going to be coming back, McCoy is too injury prone, and with all of that money tied into Smith, we need a QB on the roster.  I don't want to sit through another Rex/Beck debacle.  There are potential franchise QB's in this draft.  I don't want to trade picks to get them, but if one of them falls into our lap, we have to take them.

You are almost as likely to get a franchise QB in the 7th as you are to get one in the 1st in this draft class (not likely at all). The debacle you want to avoid is more likely if you go for a QB with high draft picks in the 2019 class (Rex was a 1st round pick remember).

3 minutes ago, nonniey said:

You are almost as likely to get a franchise QB in the 7th as you are to get one in the 1st in this draft class (not likely at all). The debacle you want to avoid is more likely if you go for a QB with high draft picks in the 2019 class (Rex was a 1st round pick remember).

We didn't draft Grossman.  I don't want to go into next year with Sanchez and Tyrod battling it out for the starting job.  

The consensus is that the draft is weak for QB's, I don't know if that's true or not but if it is I do not want to draft a QB with a 1st or 2nd round pick unless we know they have a chance to be a good starter in the NFL for years.

Reaching is the worst thing we can do, keep building the lines, build from the inside out and then maybe we get a chance at one of the studs coming out the following year.

32 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

..... I don't want to go into next year with Sanchez and Tyrod battling it out for the starting job.  

Who does? Just saying the Redskins most likely aren't going to solve their QB problem in 2019 and if they put major capital into trying to solve it in 2019 they likely delay solving the problem for several more years.

4 hours ago, DJHJR86 said:

We didn't draft Grossman.  I don't want to go into next year with Sanchez and Tyrod battling it out for the starting job.  

Colt will be the starter unless Jay is canned.  We are almost certain to back into another win or two and be picking around 16 or 17 when a first round QB will be out of the question.  We can't afford a veteran who is worth more than veteran minimum and so barring a spectacular stroke of luck in the later rounds we will go with what we know.  If this team had a window it is most definitely closed for the veterans.  Be prepared to rip the band  aid off next year and trade Kerrigan, Williams etc. because they are going to be free agents in another year and there is no way we extend them.  Keep the young nucleus, stockpile 2020 picks and draft Tua.

9 hours ago, DJHJR86 said:

I think it's more because he's too injury prone to keep him around as a backup as opposed to whether or not he'll be healthy.

That might be your view but don't think Gruden see it this way; the injury prone thing. If we draft a QB in 2009 he won't start so you still need Colt to start in case Alex is not ready (which looks like he might not even be able to play anymore and even if he can you are still looking at 10-12 months of recovery). 

It's an all around terrible situation. The free agent market is usually quite barren and the trade route means giving up assets, usually for disappoint returns (see McNabb, Donovan and Smith, Alex). The overwhelming majority of teams with good Quarterbacks drafted them. But even then, the draft remains a huge crap shoot. Nor does it help that the team lacks a top pick (even if it loses out, it's not going to be Top 5 or anything). Nor does it help the 2019 draft class is weak. It seems like whatever the solution is, the team will probably force the issue, reach for someone spending valuable assets, and ultimately end up disappointed.

If I had to do something, I'd probably go after Bridgewater. Or possibly Winston if Tampa cuts bait (I think they won't)

10 hours ago, Catatonic said:

I would hate to see Grier come here.  Not because I don't like him, but because I do like him and think he has a future in the NFL.  I'd hate to see this joke ass franchise destroy his chance at a promising career. 

While I'm hoping for the opposite that's very possible given their terrible history with QBs

14 hours ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

Keep the young nucleus, stockpile 2020 picks and draft Tua.

Absolutely not.  If you thought RG3's father was bad, Tua's is cranked to eleven.  

9 hours ago, zskins said:

That might be your view but don't think Gruden see it this way; the injury prone thing. If we draft a QB in 2009 he won't start so you still need Colt to start in case Alex is not ready (which looks like he might not even be able to play anymore and even if he can you are still looking at 10-12 months of recovery). 

Other than going 9-7 or making the playoffs, I don't see a scenario where Gruden is back next year.  

9 hours ago, Jericho said:

If I had to do something, I'd probably go after Bridgewater. Or possibly Winston if Tampa cuts bait (I think they won't)

I could get behind picking up Bridgewater, but not Winston.   Would Bridgewater fit into ay's system.

No matter what we do, unless we fix the O-Line, it won't matter very much

Draft a QB?  The Redskins had a very good QB on their own roster for years and didn't recognize it and you expect this ownership to pluck a winner out of the draft?  I don't want the Skins to use a top pick in the draft in 2019 for a QB because I think they will choose poorly.

So I think they should look at the ones on practice squads and get one cheap and use the top picks for the OL. 

52 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

Draft a QB?  The Redskins had a very good QB on their own roster for years and didn't recognize it and you expect this ownership to pluck a winner out of the draft?  I don't want the Skins to use a top pick in the draft in 2019 for a QB because I think they will choose poorly.

So I think they should look at the ones on practice squads and get one cheap and use the top picks for the OL. 

Amen.

8 hours ago, Veryoldschool said:

Agree about the draft.  But its also ditto as to trades and ditto as to FA.   People joke about the Browns historic ineptness at QB but I think Dan has surpassed them.  While I agree with those who say Jay has limitations as a head coach, I still think he brings more good than bad and I am not a critic of him and I'd be fine if he returns.  And yeah I'll dare to say it (no matter how unpopular the view these days with some 😀) the only person I trust in that front office to get the QB position right especially if its the draft -- would be them relying on Jay's personnel skills. 

As your point about picking a QB off a practice squad, its bad enough with them messing up in the draft combing through highly regarded college QBs -- you like their odds better playing with basically the draft rejects?

59 minutes ago, TheYappingDog said:

See my  Clean House post but I've written off 2019 and can only hope it's the beginning of a rebuild. With that in mind I wouldn't mind kicking the tyres on Johnny Manziel for gits and shiggles. I've always liked his game and if he's cleaned up his act, why not?

image.png.6e00f2bf0ad81f45809f6fce37867eb5.png

Jesus. You just joined, posted 6 times, and all 6 posts are............................"amusing".

On 12/6/2018 at 1:45 PM, JSSkinz said:

The consensus is that the draft is weak for QB's, I don't know if that's true or not but if it is I do not want to draft a QB with a 1st or 2nd round pick unless we know they have a chance to be a good starter in the NFL for years.

Reaching is the worst thing we can do, keep building the lines, build from the inside out and then maybe we get a chance at one of the studs coming out the following year.

Hit the nail on the head.  While QB is a huge gaping hole right now, the worst thing we can do is reach for one in a weak QB class.  I wouldnt mind taking Grier or Patterson if they drop to the 3rd, but the top few QBs will all probably be overdrafted.  Mcshay said Herbert, so far this years top QB, would be the 5th QB taken in 2018.  That shows it's an off year.

The 2020 class has tua, fromm, maybe Eason.  I hope the 2019 draft is BPA, beefing up the lines like you said, maybe adding a top tier olb and or cb.  The more that this year falls off the rails I'm hoping we get rid of all bad contracts, trade off assets, cut the fat all around.  So rushing into our next QB isn't necessary.  If it's done right, we wont be competitive for a few more years, so getting a QB isn't an immediate priority.  Getting the best value in our next few drafts is.

Archived