Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Starting QB 2019???

Renegade7

Who should be the starting QB in 2019???  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the starting QB in 2019???

• Alex Smith
    • Colt McCoy
    • Trade for a Veteran
    • Sign a Veteran
    • First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Non-First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Too Early to Answer
    • I don't know yet
    • We're screwed (at least at QB for 2019)

4 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

It's now going to be Sanchez.  It has to be at least going into OTA's because neither McCoy or Smith will be ready by then.  They absolutely need to draft a QB now.

I dont see any sure fire locks in this draft so theyre all likely system qbs who can be very good.  I really hope we have our long term coach in place before we draft our qb of the future

5 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

I dont see any sure fire locks in this draft so theyre all likely system qbs who can be very good.  I really hope we have our long term coach in place before we draft our qb of the future

I think Will Grier is a good fit for what Jay does honestly.  

35 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

I think Will Grier is a good fit for what Jay does honestly.  

At the end of this season Jay will have 2 seasons remaining on this deal.  I don't think he's the coach of this team come draft day, and if he is, it's on an evaluation basis under a new GM.  I don't think he's the long term coach.  

1 hour ago, ddub52 said:

Colt may not be ready and he obviously can’t be relied on to stay healthy 

Colt has already started his last game as a Redskin, think he's gone after this season is over because of this.  Ya, he's cool for maybe a game or two tops and that's it.  You can argue that's all you need him for, but he'll be 33 going into next year coming off a broken leg.  He might be done, too.

They have no choice but to waste a first round pick that should be utilized on another position to reach for the next Christian Ponder, then they will waste the next 3 seasons going 4-12 making sure he can't play. And it didn't need to happen, LOL at the fans who still don't understand how they royally screwed up the QB situation here and how that will effect the ability to field a competitive team moving forward. 

Thanks Bruce. Thanks a lot. 

Not sure why people are saying Colt won't be available for OTA's.  His recovery is listed as 4 weeks and he is not on IR right now specifically because should we by some miracle make the playoffs, Jay intends going back to him as starter.

For OTA's and training camp I am sure there will be a rookie or two in the mix with Colt and with Alex sidelined we will carry a veteran too.  Sanchez may be that veteran but his performance over the next 4 weeks will determine that.  There is no way we draft a guy in the 1st round this year, cost would be prohibitive and the value is not there.  We may like someone in the later rounds as a developmental prospect but if the same staff are here I am sure they will convince themselves that Colt was just unlucky and Alex will fight his way back and we will stand pat at the position for another year.  In the circumstances that is the only real option, there is no sign of a franchise guy in the draft and we can't afford a free agent who would be worth a damn.   Build the team around the position and look for a guy in 2020 when the options will be much better. 

12 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Any chance Sanchez is a backup here next year ?

Probably depends on how he does the rest of the way.  But we may have a completely new QB room next year, so somebody's gonna have to fill it.  But Sanchez certainly has a leg up on everyone else for a QB roster spot.

24 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Probably depends on how he does the rest of the way.  But we may have a completely new QB room next year, so somebody's gonna have to fill it.  But Sanchez certainly has a leg up on everyone else for a QB roster spot.

4 weeks with a playoff 'push' (more like a light nudge or stumble) is a heck of a way to evaluate a guy and see if he's an option as your no. 2. 

If John Harbaugh gets fired and I don’t know, doesn’t feel like moving and gets complete control from Snyder or something, I could actually see a scenario where he brings RG3 with him. I’m sure Danny is getting hard just thinking about it. Harbaugh is a fan.

But A) I don’ t think Harbaugh is going to get fired and B, even if he does he’ll have lots of offers and all of them will be better than coming to Washington to fail like every other coach has under Snyder.

Since a lot of in demand coaches will pass on Washington, don’t sleep on Art Briles. I’m serious. Dan would sell it as the game is changing. 

1 minute ago, Hooper said:

If John Harbaugh gets fired and I don’t know, doesn’t feel like moving and gets complete control from Snyder or something, I could actually see a scenario where he brings RG3 with him. I’m sure Danny is getting hard just thinking about it.

The last thing we need is a coach a decade or so behind the curve.  So yeah, we’ll probably sign him to a 10 year, $125M dollar deal.

6 minutes ago, Hooper said:

Since a lot of in demand coaches will pass on Washington

I think this is a too much stated statement. How often have we heard this? I know I remember it a few years back with I think the guy who went on to coach the Lions to 0-16, but even if I'm wrong, this sounds like Ernie Grunfield saying "we're not going to go after FAs because nobody wants to come to DC". This is  a QB thread so I don't want to get to into coaching searches but I think there are a number of quality candidates who would love this opportunity. And how often do we find out that the "in demand" candidated are really just a pile of pooh. Wasn't Norv Turner an in demand candidate when we hired him? How in demand was McVay? People thought Mike Smith was this great coach after his first few years in Atl, until he was fired. 

13 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Any chance Sanchez is a backup here next year ?

I wouldn't say its a strong chance, but I wouldn't rule it out either. With the Smith and Colt injuries we may need some veteran presence in the room will it be Sanchez? If he plays well I could see him signing here again. One variable thats being left out of these discussions is the actual CAP. How high will it rise and how much will we be able to absorb the salaries at the QB position, put Smith on PUP and have two new QBs at reasonable salaries? Can we afford other positions?

5 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

I think this is a too much stated statement. How often have we heard this? 

Of course there are folks that will take a job here, there are only 32 of them in the world.

However, Dan’s reputation coupled with where we are at QB certainly work against us.  Honestly, look at the teams we know for certain are in the market for a new head coach.  Browns, Packers, probably the Jets and Buccaneers.  Every single one of them currently has more going for them.  The Bucs probably the least and have a decision to make themselves, but they aren’t carrying the burden of a big contract of a QB who cannot play.

In summary, no matter how putrid our organizations reputation and situation are, yes - someone will take a job here as a head coach.  But, we are the most difficult sell on the market, meaning we are most likely not going to end up with the most coveted/best option.

6 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

In summary, no matter how putrid our organizations reputation and situation are, yes - someone will take a job here as a head coach.  But, we are the most difficult sell on the market, meaning we are most likely not going to end up with the most coveted/best option.

Yeah thats a given, but its also the sound of the woe is me Redskins fan who always wants to pout. Its not a question of can we find the next "great prospect" who wants to come here because those guys fail just as much as everybody else. Its a question of can we find a good HC candidate by doing interviews and approaching it like a real franchise instead of saying I'm going to do a backdoor deal that's sure to turn the franchise around (insert Marty, Spurrier, Gibbs, Shanahan, Scot). 

10 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Of course there are folks that will take a job here, there are only 32 of them in the world.

However, Dan’s reputation coupled with where we are at QB certainly work against us.  Honestly, look at the teams we know for certain are in the market for a new head coach.  Browns, Packers, probably the Jets and Buccaneers.  Every single one of them currently has more going for them.  The Bucs probably the least and have a decision to make themselves, but they aren’t carrying the burden of a big contract of a QB who cannot play.

Finlay was talking about this on air yesterday -- Redskins not being a desirable opening if Jay leaves compared to other teams.  At this given time, you got the more untrustworthy GM in the league in according to a sample of agents, you got Dan's reputation which isn't hot and you arguably have the worst QB situation in the league.  Yeah there will always be someone willing to take the job but its unlikely you are getting any of the hot coveted candidates.

33 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

I think this is a too much stated statement. How often have we heard this? I know I remember it a few years back with I think the guy who went on to coach the Lions to 0-16, but even if I'm wrong, this sounds like Ernie Grunfield saying "we're not going to go after FAs because nobody wants to come to DC". This is  a QB thread so I don't want to get to into coaching searches but I think there are a number of quality candidates who would love this opportunity. And how often do we find out that the "in demand" candidated are really just a pile of pooh. Wasn't Norv Turner an in demand candidate when we hired him? How in demand was McVay? People thought Mike Smith was this great coach after his first few years in Atl, until he was fired.

I agree that the “in demand” coaches aren’t always the best hires. But that means we are relying on Snyder and Bruce possibly to unearth some hidden gem. Also, that kind of coach would have no leverage with Snyder, who clearly has lost little of his influence over the years.

2 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Yeah thats a given, but its also the sound of the woe is me Redskins fan who always wants to pout. 

I’m not sure what one has to do with the other.  It’s not pouting, it’s being realistic.

I agree that the most coveted doesn’t necessarily mean the best and that a legitimate search for the best possible GM and head coach is vital.  Perhaps that’s breaking new ground for you but many of us woe-is-me pouters have known that forever.

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I’m not sure what one has to do with the other.  It’s not pouting, it’s being realistic.

I agree that the most coveted doesn’t necessarily mean the best and that a legitimate search for the best possible GM and head coach is vital.  Perhaps that’s breaking new ground for you but many of us woe-is-me pouters have known that forever.

Nah not quite new ground. its what I've been asking for since Dan took over, and really since Gibbs I left. but I can say I don't like the process, but the results are different. Since Snyder took over I've wanted to invest in the draft and it seems we're finally doing that. I've wanted to trust scouts and it seems we're finally doing that. I've wanted to evaluate our scouts (including seeing some promoted and some fired) and we  haven't seen that too much. But I also have wanted extensive searches. I haven't seen that. Once we've hired a Zorn or a Gruden or a Marty or whoever, it doesn't mean that just because we didn't do an exhaustive search that we're doomed to failure as some fans like to speculate, so I don't pray for Gruden/Zorn/whoever's firing like some fans do.

But I would like an exhaustive search 

You’d think there’s been massive turnover or examples of impatience with the FO. Give any coach or GM: money, years on contract, and control and anyone will come. Won’t be an issue. Now, setting them up for success and meshing is different. 

Mike Lombardi would come to organization under Bruce if 2 out of the 3 were met lol 

1 minute ago, Thinking Skins said:

it doesn't mean that just because we didn't do an exhaustive search that we're doomed to failure as some fans like to speculate

Really, seeing as how failure is off the table, what word would you use to describe the current state of the Redskins?

You can dislike the negative takes on how the Redskins operate all you want, but the results are on our side.  

1 hour ago, Heisenberg said:

I'm sure it might get it's own thread but the latest news about Smith's injury is awful.  Forget football but I feel so bad for him and hope they can enable him to have a normal life from here on out.

My dad just told, said he had an infection in there as well and family wanted privacy.  I hope he gets every drop of that SB money

On 12/1/2018 at 4:59 PM, SAli457180 said:

The man crush for me on Will Grier is real.  This guy looks real good.  If they were willing to go all in for Griffin in 2012 then this guy should be worth a shot too

I would hate to see Grier come here.  Not because I don't like him, but because I do like him and think he has a future in the NFL.  I'd hate to see this joke ass franchise destroy his chance at a promising career. 

Archived