Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Starting QB 2019???

Renegade7

Who should be the starting QB in 2019???  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the starting QB in 2019???

• Alex Smith
    • Colt McCoy
    • Trade for a Veteran
    • Sign a Veteran
    • First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Non-First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Too Early to Answer
    • I don't know yet
    • We're screwed (at least at QB for 2019)

5 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

If you know anything about the Redskins is that doing the right thing and taking our time hasn't really been our gameplan since Snyder took over. I can see arguments both good and bad for why Case will probably be the starter and the same applies to Haskins and Colt. It's not my bet, but if it were I wouldn't be relying on what somebody else thinks will happen. I honestly don't know anymore what the team's intentions are. I don't disagree that Haskins shouldn't start game 1, but to say it won't happen simply because it would make the least amount of sense even AFTER every dysfunctional thing this team has done is ludicrous. 

We likely differ on the dysfunctional things the team has reportedly done.   Likely they aren't at all dysfunctional, in spite of reports desperate to convince some they were, and it worked on you.   It wasn't dysfunctional to fire a drunk who stopped answering calls from other teams leading into the draft...and winning the grievance...though we were told it was.   It wasn't dysfunctional to take a no-risk flyer on a first-round talent like Foster who didn't do anything wrong...which proved to be exactly right...though we were told it was.   It wasn't even dysfunctional to fire the business team who tried to strong arm the football side over which side wags the dog, wanting all decisions run through them before any football decision is made, though we were told it was.  

It wasn't dysfunctional (though it was probably stupid) to cut D.J. because he wouldn't stop being a mouthy ****, and may actually be the sole act that gets the team to stop thinking Gruden is Mr. Buddy finally, but we were sure told it was.   The most dysfunction we've had with him as an owner was when he gave TOTAL control to lordling coaches like Marty and Shanny.   Gibbs was given full power, but he worked differently.   It was dysfunctional when Marty tried to teach Darrell Green how to field a punt, and cut Centers for wearing a baseball cap.   It was dysfunctional for Shanny to move up for Griffin, take all the credit, then say, "Hey, wasn't me," when it went south, BECAUSE OF HIM, even though we saw him on the bathroom counter.

It wasn't dysfunction that led the Redskins to trade up for Haskins in this year's draft.   We were told they were going to.   I'd just believe less about the spin you are told and actually judge the actual thing.   I'll be the first here screaming if they throw him to the wolves in Philly, though.   Fortunately, that won't happen barring everyone getting hurt the final week of the preseason :).

9 minutes ago, Art said:

We likely differ on the dysfunctional things the team has reportedly done.   Likely they aren't at all dysfunctional, in spite of reports desperate to convince some they were, and it worked on you.   It wasn't dysfunctional to fire a drunk who stopped answering calls from other teams leading into the draft...and winning the grievance...though we were told it was.   It wasn't dysfunctional to take a no-risk flyer on a first-round talent like Foster who didn't do anything wrong...which proved to be exactly right...though we were told it was.   It wasn't even dysfunctional to fire the business team who tried to strong arm the football side over which side wags the dog, wanting all decisions run through them before any football decision is made, though we were told it was.  

It wasn't dysfunctional (though it was probably stupid) to cut D.J. because he wouldn't stop being a mouthy ****, and may actually be the sole act that gets the team to stop thinking Gruden is Mr. Buddy finally, but we were sure told it was.   The most dysfunction we've had with him as an owner was when he gave TOTAL control to lordling coaches like Marty and Shanny.   Gibbs was given full power, but he worked differently.   It was dysfunctional when Marty tried to teach Darrell Green how to field a punt, and cut Centers for wearing a baseball cap.   It was dysfunctional for Shanny to move up for Griffin, take all the credit, then say, "Hey, wasn't me," when it went south, BECAUSE OF HIM, even though we saw him on the bathroom counter.

It wasn't dysfunction that led the Redskins to trade up for Haskins in this year's draft.   We were told they were going to.   I'd just believe less about the spin you are told and actually judge the actual thing.   I'll be the first here screaming if they throw him to the wolves in Philly, though.   Fortunately, that won't happen barring everyone getting hurt the final week of the preseason :).

It's an easy argument when you can cherry pick what to use to prove your point. If you honestly believe the team doesn't or hasn't had its fair share of "wtf" moments pertaining to questionable decisions then there really doesn't seem to be a point for anyone to argue with you. All i know is throughout Snyder's tenure there have been a plethora of GMs, coaches, upper management types of all kinds and the team hasn't ever shown signs of serious sustained potential for over a year or two. There is really only one common factor and as long as he's there, questionable decision making will continue to be made. 

1 minute ago, PartyPosse said:

It's an easy argument when you can cherry pick what to use to prove your point. If you honestly believe the team doesn't or hasn't had its fair share of "wtf" moments pertaining to questionable decisions then there really doesn't seem to be a point for anyone to argue with you. All i know is throughout Snyder's tenure there have been a plethora of GMs, coaches, upper management types of all kinds and the team hasn't ever shown signs of serious sustained potential for over a year or two. There is really only one common factor and as long as he's there, questionable decision making will continue to be made. 

There's another common factor.

QB.

We've made the playoffs when we've had good QB play.   Have not when we have not.   Snyder owns the team.   We've had a number of people try to find this spot.   None have.   Unless you're asking Snyder to be Jerry Jones and officially be our GM, you're not really blaming him.   I know you want to.   But the blame is on the people who actually made the choices and coached the teams that didn't work, not on the owner who let them do what they felt was right.   We've been wrong a while.   Maybe Haskins is the one we get right.   And, just so you know, that won't be Snyder either.   The owner provides.   If he does less or much more he's screwing up.   I don't want Snyder picking players.   I do hope he allowed a football organization to be put together that gets Haskins right.   While it'll make many think he did good, it won't change what he's done.   It'll just mean we got one right finally.

3 minutes ago, Art said:

There's another common factor.

QB.

We've made the playoffs when we've had good QB play.   Have not when we have not.   Snyder owns the team.   We've had a number of people try to find this spot.   None have.   Unless you're asking Snyder to be Jerry Jones and officially be our GM, you're not really blaming him.   I know you want to.   But the blame is on the people who actually made the choices and coached the teams that didn't work, not on the owner who let them do what they felt was right.   We've been wrong a while.   Maybe Haskins is the one we get right.   And, just so you know, that won't be Snyder either.   The owner provides.   If he does less or much more he's screwing up.   I don't want Snyder picking players.   I do hope he allowed a football organization to be put together that gets Haskins right.   While it'll make many think he did good, it won't change what he's done.   It'll just mean we got one right finally.

Yeah, that 2007  team with Collins and Campbell really reminded people of Montana. Or how can we forget 35 year old Mark Brunell's incredible 23 TD season of 2004.

Here's the thing, we've made the playoffs 4 times really since he's been owner (1999 doesn't count because the team was already set by the time he bought them). And there's NEVER been any sort of consistency. We make the playoffs once every 3-4 years and are 2-5 in that time frame. 

Let's be clear about this, while it may seem that way, i'm actually NOT blaming Snyder for all this dysfunction, but i am blaming him for the very key times he's interjected and made massive football-related decisions either as a fan (wants to see certain players on his team) or as a businessman (merch sales). The fact is every time he's interjected it's never been a football-related decision in terms of what would be best for the franchise. 

1 minute ago, PartyPosse said:

Yeah, that 2007  team with Collins and Campbell really reminded people of Montana. Or how can we forget 35 year old Mark Brunell's incredible 23 TD season of 2004.

Here's the thing, we've made the playoffs 4 times really since he's been owner (1999 doesn't count because the team was already set by the time he bought them). And there's NEVER been any sort of consistency. We make the playoffs once every 3-4 years and are 2-5 in that time frame. 

Let's be clear about this, while it may seem that way, i'm actually NOT blaming Snyder for all this dysfunction, but i am blaming him for the very key times he's interjected and made massive football-related decisions either as a fan (wants to see certain players on his team) or as a businessman (merch sales). The fact is every time he's interjected it's never been a football-related decision in terms of what would be best for the franchise. 

You must not remember the 2007 team well then.    They were a pretty tough defensive team with a bad offense.   They made the playoffs after falling to 5-7 because Todd Collins came in and played GREAT.   The whole Saunders offense worked with Collins completing 64 percent of his passes for around 900 yards with 5 TDs, 0 INTs and a 106 rating, opening up everything and making us a complete team.   Neither Cousins nor Griffin played great all of their playoff runs either.   They did get hot for the stretches that mattered and the team became more.   We're the classic definition of a team that's largely average or a bit below that sometimes has everything come together with great QB play over a late stretch to get into the playoffs.   In Cousins year there were 7 games he didn't throw a pass I couldn't throw.   Then he caught fire.

In any case, the point remains.   QB is where we have lacked for 20 years, except with an occasional good stretch.   Until that's fixed it won't matter much else that happens.   We'd have made the playoffs last year with Smith all year because THAT is what he does.   And that would have been the first time with pretty ****ty QB play we'd have made that happen.

Importantly though, Snyder has only been involved in a couple of decisions here.   One was with Spurrier essentially giving up on Wuerffel and Ceretto and Snyder basically having to pick the players for him.   And the other was Haynesworth if that can be believed.   Otherwise he's never intervened.   I'm not counting Norv.   There was stuff there :).   The fact remains, if Haskins suddenly leads us to 10 straight playoffs, three Super Bowls and glory, Snyder won't be better or worse.   He'll just be here.   And deserves NONE of the credit.  As he deserves none of the blame.   UNLESS you WANT him making the choices you seem to think he's made that he hasn't.   Then you can blame him.   But you really don't want that.   He is impetuous. 

I like Colt.  He has a thorough understanding of our offense and things just seem to work a little more smoothly when he was in the game.  That said he does not have a big league arm.  Underneath timing routes he handles well but not much threat deep.  If he had the arm he would have been a star.

I like Case.  I think he is a better athlete than Colt and has a stronger arm.  More starting experience, has actually won a playoff game.  Will have to learn our offense, but I don't think he will struggle with it.  Definitely not the long term solution, just a stop gap until Haskins is ready.  I don't think that Case was brought in to back up Colt.

Assuming Case Keenum starts opening day and Haskins replaces him at some time during the year, is Keenum going to go from starting one week to cut the next?   I think the guy that wins the competition in camp and starts opening day sticks around as the backup.  

Keenum probably has some trade value, maybe the opportunity to trade him pops up about the time Haskins is ready.  I can see us keeping three QBs initially, but once Haskins assumes the starting role I don't think we'll end the season with 3.

All that said, I don't think Case is ready to accept being a backup and Colt has accepted that role wholeheartedly.  Not sure how it's going to work out, but I'd be shocked at the end of season if Haskins is not the starter and Colt remains his backup.

I think Haskins is going to wow Gruden after training camp and preseason. It might be hard not to start him. Either way Haskins will be the starter at some point this year. 

It's up to Colt or Case to win and keep the job. I doubt either of them are capable of doing it only time will tell. 

9 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Don't buy into the rumors.

Colt's leg recovery is right on schedule, thanks to his brutal lactose rehab.

It won't matter if Colt McCoy starts Breastfeeding...he's not starting after the balls start flying.

6 hours ago, desertbeagle85 said:

I think Haskins is going to wow Gruden after training camp and preseason. It might be hard not to start him.

When they see how much bigger he is and how much of a difference the ball speed is coming out of Haskins hands, Gruden will be...

giphy.gif

16 hours ago, Art said:

Actually, no.   Colt is clearly our third most "talented" QB only when you factor Alex in.   Case was undrafted and not considered a very good NFL prospect and wouldn't easily be said to be more "talented" than Colt from an evaluation process.   Colt was considered a pretty good prospect and was drafted and started probably too early in the NFL.   Colt has plenty of talent.   The comfort with Case is he's been a regular starter more recently and had one really good season as the starter with the Vikings, where Colt hasn't really started since 2014 and while that was with us and he actually played well, that doesn't really help him much.   What does is his complete knowledge of the offense and fact Jay loves his little butt.    I certainly won't be surprised if Case does start given Colt is slow on the leg recovery, but if both are there every day, I just can't see Case winning to open the year.   But I've been wrong before.

I have to respectfully disagree. Yes, coming out Colt was the better prospect. But after watching them in their careers, Case has more physical ability. There is no doubt in my mind about that. Colt has well below average arm strength. But, I know, Jay loves Colt. 

But, and I may certainly be wrong here, I also think there's a good chance Haskins ends up starting. From everything I have heard, he is extremely intelligent, and really understands the Xs and Os. I have heard multiple reports that he impressed Jay with his knowledge when they met. The one thing we know about Jay, if Haskins can understand what Jay wants to do, that will go a long way. I would put it at 30% chance he starts. And the fact that Jay said right away that he would be able to compete for the job, Jay isn't the best at subterfuge, I believe him. 

The two biggest stories in the NFL in NFL history to me is John Elway and Alex Smith.

Say what ya will about Elway but I absolutely love his story..to play for as long as he did to come as close as he did to winning a super bowl to stick it out and end his career on back to back Super Bowl wins is 🔥 to me.. absolutely awesome.

Second story...Alex Smith, drafted by the niners, the team starts winning he has a minor injury and is replaced by a rookie..niners ship him to k.c...starts winning there and again replaced by a nice new shiny toy..gets shipped to the Redskins than gets injured the way he does to end his career...just absolutely heart breaking..I've never met Alex..hell, dude could be my best friend for all know ...also could be my worst enemy, but to me it's one of the other biggest stories to me in the nfl.

On 11/18/2018 at 5:57 PM, Veretax said:

WHo is at QB doesn't matter if we don't improve pass protection.  We need a new Tackle, and a new Left Guard.

I've been dreaming of taking a LT/LG early then trading up late in the 1st for someone like WIll Grier (but I doubt he lasts that long)

Washington is considered to have one of the better offensive lines in the NFL. This team doesn't have a bad line it just hasn't been healthy the last 2 years. I put a couple links in grading offensive line going into last year.

Again the Skins line isn't really that bad. Just can't stay healthy. So drafting guys later in the draft to develop and also for depth isn't a bad thing. 

To say a QB can't play behind this line is ridiculous. 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-nfl-offensive-line-rankings-all-32-teams-units-entering-2018

https://www.fantasypros.com/2018/07/2018-nfl-offensive-line-rankings-and-fantasy-impact/

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/6/2019 at 8:48 PM, HigSkin said:

Yikes if this is really Alex Smith.

Kind of surprised he's flying.

Flying/sitting on airplanes is known to cause lethal blood clots in the legs, even in a healthy person.

Seems like the last thing someone like him needs, is the risk of that happening, or even a lesser scenario of simply a lack of leg circulation for a period of time.

• 4 months later...
On 12/10/2018 at 5:50 PM, volsmet said:

As noted before the season, we should have just started Matt Moore, he’s decent, he’s tough, he can move a bit, he costs nothing, our record would be no different. If we traded Trent & started Matt Moore we’d have the same record, Fuller, & probably Derwin James (Oakland & Houston were two teams interested in Trent, & we’d probably have traded him to Oakland who was trading picks for guys like Martavis Bryant *incidentally we could have traded Doctson to Oakland for a 3rd, pick 79). 

70973664-5183-49F0-894E-2E823D3337A0.gif

Archived