Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Starting QB 2019???

Renegade7

Who should be the starting QB in 2019???  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the starting QB in 2019???

• Alex Smith
    • Colt McCoy
    • Trade for a Veteran
    • Sign a Veteran
    • First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Non-First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Too Early to Answer
    • I don't know yet
    • We're screwed (at least at QB for 2019)

7 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

So basically, Alex Smith is cut.  He might be IR'd for a year, but if he doesnt retire, hes cut.  Haskins and Keenum are a lock, and Gruden already hates to keep 3 QBs, meaning even McCoy is likely on the bubble with the troubles hes having recovering.

For this year, the worst thing we can do is start Haskins.  Keenum is more than qualified to be a stop gap for a year, and the big knock on Haskins is his poor upper body mechanics and throwing motion.  The last thing we want to do is spend a year reinforcing that because we thew him in too early, instead of taking the opportunity to really coach it out of him, improve those mechanics, and set him up for great success next year.  I know everyone wants to play with their shiny new toy immediately, but as long as you refuse to have patience, you continue to make sure you wont have long term success.  Patience for 1-2 years leads to long term success, it just requires someone with the character to withstand the whiny fans who will demand everything now.

If they sit Haskins for 2 years everyone deserves to be fired. That would stunt his growth like crazy.

11 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

Come on Art, i was one of the biggest fanboys spouting optimism during the wins, but as much as Smith wasn't losing us games, he wasn't winning us many either. In fact had he made a few more mistakes, like that running out of bounds or or FG kicker missing a kick or us not getting a penalty call against Dallas we're re not 6-3. And our offense was horrible and predictable. We had no deep game, Smith could get us to the opp 40 and wed punt or go for a long fg. And even AP was hit or miss. Dude had a 90 yard run and still didn't get 100 yards that game. 

I'm just saying this to say that to me its not about the record. Of course if we're 0-5 things will change, but if we're 3-3 with a decent passing game and offense vs being 3-3 and all defense is two different scenarios. The first (assuming Case is playing), Case stays in. The second, Dwayne comes in. 

And i like it this way because it's less pressure. He'll be the guy fans are rooting to come in, and once they see Case set the bar he'll be able to exceed that and impress us even more. 

This is a more thoughtful and reasonable statement than the one I replied to and I have no serious issues with it though I'll say it's unlikely Haskins moves in regardless of whether we're an ok offense or ****ty one.   The only way I see Haskins in is if he's OVERWHELMINGLY our best player in the preseason and we really can't hold him back ONCE things start to decline in any way.   More likely I presume he'll actually look pretty iffy in the preseason as we will be working a ton on his footwork, drops and mechanics instead of encouraging him to just play and he's not an athlete who's going to make plays regardless.   And it will be pretty clear he needs a little seasoning and we won't risk him if the team starts to get hurt again and drops out of any contention.   I do hold out hope we see him and just know he's our best and that will help it be easier for me to see him start playing at some point in the season.

11 hours ago, RWJ said:

Jay runs an open competition and the best QB will play opening day.  That's been the way it's worked since he's been here.  He favored Cousins over RG3.  He'll decide. :)

There are not enough snaps in OTAs, camp or preseason to run an open competition with two QBs let alone three. Especially since two of them are new to the team and one is new to the NFL.

I think the most heated competition in camp is going to be Keenum vs Colt.  Of course this is assuming that Colt is even physically up to it.  Colt knows the offense, I think Keenum is a better QB.  I expect Colt will lose this competition and be cut.  If Keenum is clearly better in camp than Haskins he'll start, but have a pretty short leash.  If they are even close I think Haskins starts opening day.  Haskins has shown he can handle pressure, if he is even close to ready I expect he will be on the field.  Good D, Good running game I think we can win some games with Haskins starting as a rookie.

15 hours ago, evmiii said:

I think the most heated competition in camp is going to be Keenum vs Colt.  Of course this is assuming that Colt is even physically up to it.  Colt knows the offense, I think Keenum is a better QB.  I expect Colt will lose this competition and be cut.  If Keenum is clearly better in camp than Haskins he'll start, but have a pretty short leash.  If they are even close I think Haskins starts opening day.  Haskins has shown he can handle pressure, if he is even close to ready I expect he will be on the field.  Good D, Good running game I think we can win some games with Haskins starting as a rookie.

This brings up a good point. In the last couple years we only carried 2 qbs on the active roster. Obviously Colt is a Gruden favorite but is damaged goods. Do we cut him and only carry Case and Haskins?

14 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

This brings up a good point. In the last couple years we only carried 2 qbs on the active roster. Obviously Colt is a Gruden favorite but is damaged goods. Do we cut him and only carry Case and Haskins?

Colt will be one of if not the last cut in camp. He’ll stick around as insurance to make sure the other two pick up the system fast enough. Case is a smart guy though so I expect he’ll be starting week 1 while Haskins has a little extra time to learn the nuances of both the nfl and Gruden’s scheme.

I'd like to see us open with Keenum and go old school with Haskins. Let this kid marinate on the bench for a minimum of 1 to 2 seasons. Unfortunately we all know that will never happen and at some point this season he will be thrown into the fire. Colt should be 3rd string but tbh I'd love to see Josh Johnson be brought back just as a reward for the passion he played with last year on a broken team. He deserves to make this roster.

There's zero chance Colt is cut if he can walk and play.   ZERO.

He's the only QB on the roster who knows the system.   Much more likely Keenum is cut than Colt.   If Colt can't get on the field in training camp or the preseason, sure, he's likely gone, but he is the odds-on favorite to actually open the season as our starter IF healthy.

26 minutes ago, Art said:

There's zero chance Colt is cut if he can walk and play.   ZERO.

He's the only QB on the roster who knows the system.   Much more likely Keenum is cut than Colt.   If Colt can't get on the field in training camp or the preseason, sure, he's likely gone, but he is the odds-on favorite to actually open the season as our starter IF healthy.

I would be willing to bet you anything , you name it,  that COLT is NOT OUR STARTER to open the season. How about loser has to delete his E.S account lol

20 minutes ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

I want to be clear @Art Im not criticizing you because the truth is that would probably be Gruden's choice, But our Front Office and Dan Snyder open week 1 with our 1st round QB and Free Agent QB on the bench ? 😆 Not happening, In any timeline lol

The front office has no say.   ZERO say.   Playing time is contractually run by Gruden.   And he'll start the guy who he thinks most likely helps him KEEP coaching.   This isn't to say he can't be made to feel pressure, but he ultimately has full control of playing time so long as he's coach.   Unless you perceive Snyder/Allen would fire him to put Haskins on the field and promote someone else on the staff to head coach, or they'd guarantee him two more contractual seasons to start Haskins, we're set.   I guarantee you Haskins isn't starting week 1 unless Keenum and Colt AND Smith are all out with injury.   That's not even a guess really.

I will not bet you the loss of ES account because you simply don't matter enough to warrant the loss of me and my greatness.   I will bet you $10,000 that Haskins doesn't open the season as starter.   We'll give @TK the money and he can pay it out.   Game?

12 minutes ago, Art said:

The front office has no say.   ZERO say.   Playing time is contractually run by Gruden.   And he'll start the guy who he thinks most likely helps him KEEP coaching.   This isn't to say he can't be made to feel pressure, but he ultimately has full control of playing time so long as he's coach.   Unless you perceive Snyder/Allen would fire him to put Haskins on the field and promote someone else on the staff to head coach, or they'd guarantee him two more contractual seasons to start Haskins, we're set.   I guarantee you Haskins isn't starting week 1 unless Keenum and Colt AND Smith are all out with injury.   That's not even a guess really.

I will not bet you the loss of ES account because you simply don't matter enough to warrant the loss of me and my greatness.   I will bet you $10,000 that Haskins doesn't open the season as starter.   We'll give @TK the money and he can pay it out.   Game?

I don't have 10,000 dollars to wager unfortunately 😟 But i it is interesting your E.S. account is held in higher regards than 10 grand  😂  Wealthy or just really like posting here ? Also the bet was Mccoy opening the season as starter not Haskins , your words not mine lol

If Colt can't get on the field in training camp or the preseason, sure, he's likely gone, but he is the odds-on favorite to actually open the season as our starter IF healthy.

17 minutes ago, Art said:

You all gonna give TK 20K?????  You might want to rethink that!!! ;)

9 minutes ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

I don't have 10,000 dollars to wager unfortunately 😟 But i it is interesting your E.S. account is held in higher regards than 10 grand  😂  Wealthy or just really like posting here ? 

I rarely post here any longer and probably won't post again until August after another day or so.

If I perceived you were a regular enough poster of idiocy I'd probably take you up on that piece as you'd be gone then, but I haven't seen you overly ignorant and you don't have the post count to be that irritating, so it's pointless.   Thus the wager has to be something that stings.   I am fortunate to have a lot of money so we can lower it to a pain point you can accept.

Or, you can just take my word on this.   There is almost NO way Haskins starts the season.   It is conceivable if he looks so stupendous in camp and preseason that the swell of FAN pressure, through the media and talk shows, will lead to a quickening of Haskins' ascension.   In that case, where he's just so good, while everyone else is John Beck, it is plausible Gruden would even start him to open the year.   But even then, Gruden won't want his opener in Philly, so he'd pick the Cowboys, at home so he'd actually have a home-field advantage maybe in Week 2.   He'd actually probably sign Josh Johnson and let him get destroyed in Philly if it was starting Haskins there or ANYONE else.

I do think Haskins will see the field this year as I suspect we won't be so good as to keep him off, but likely the Niners game is your natural entry point on the early side and Lions on the late.   Unless we are quite competitive and competent he will probably have to see the field, though I'd rather him NOT to if we are not competitive and competent as that exposes him to unnecessary suck around him.

I perceive, though don't know, it'll bounce between Colt and Case a bit before Haskins gets a run.   I do know the chances of him starting the season are as close to zero as chances close to zero get.

You also have to remember, Gruden is going to make sure he looks mostly ****ty in preseason games.   He's going to force him under center constantly and work exclusively on the things his lack of experience dictate need work.   He's not going to put him out there like Osaka.   It's going to be a slog and we're likely to be depressed by how he looks.   Except that has to be done to get him those reps in a safe space when it doesn't matter, than simply putting him in the gun and letting him be comfy in preseason.

Just now, HOF44 said:

You all gonna give TK 20K?????  You might want to rethink that!!! ;)

I'm not giving TK anything, I don't have 10 grand to wager on colt mccoys future, when i said name the terms and anything i was thinking a case beer. Christ there are some real high rollers on this board, learned my lesson. 10 grand lmao My wife would leave me

1 minute ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

I'm not giving TK anything, I don't have 10 grand to wager on colt mccoys future, when i said name the terms and anything i was thinking a case beer. Christ there are some real high rollers on this board, learned my lesson. 10 grand lmao My wife would leave me

I've gotten rid of two wives.   That's largely why I have 10K to piss away.   Are you sure her depature would suck? :)

20 minutes ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

You got a point..... 😆 Maybe you are smarter than i thought. 

21 minutes ago, Art said:

I've gotten rid of two wives.   That's largely why I have 10K to piss away.   Are you sure her depature would suck? :)

IF he were smart he’d have learned the first time. :silly:

#backinthetruck

8 minutes ago, TK said:

IF he were smart he’d have learned the first time. :silly:

#backinthetruck

This is a remarkably accurate statement :).

1 minute ago, PartyPosse said:

Anyone who is that confident they know who the week 1 starter is I trust the least. No one knows. No one knows what will happen between now and week 1. This is a dumb argument.

Good.   Then take the bet.   You trust me least.   And you're wrong.   There a LOTS of folks on the team who know precisely what they want to happen and what they expect to happen.   Plans dissolve upon contact with reality obviously, so all things remain possible, but if anyone actually thinks the team is going to put a rookie QB with the major knock as inexperience and pressure handling due to inexperience in for the opener in Philly that person lacks any ability to think.   While true all things are possible, what's the LEAST possible thing there is?   Yeah.   THAT.   Don't trust me.   Trust yourself cause you already know.

I am not a betting man...

...but no way Colt is the starter.

Gruden had at least some influence in bringing Case in. I don't care how well Colt knows the system, he is the third most talented QB on the team. And that's an indictment on Colt not an endorsement of Case. I know Jay loves Colt, but if HE is a betting man, and the wager is his job, I just can not imagine him starting Colt. I think Case will pick up the system just fine. They traded for Alex Smith last year, supposedly without Gruden's input, and he was the starter. I am not going to say that Alex is on the same level of Case, but lets just say I was never a fan of Alex. And i believe Case fits better for Gruden's system than Alex. I think Case is the starter unless Haskins really picks everything up at light speed. Not sure where that will leave Colt.

Also, this is as much me thinking logically as it is me thinking about what I want. Colt McCoy starting the year, in my opinion, means the year is over before it begins and everyone is going to be fired. 

1 minute ago, dballer said:

I am not a betting man...

...but no way Colt is the starter.

Gruden had at least some influence in bringing Case in. I don't care how well Colt knows the system, he is the third most talented QB on the team. And that's an indictment on Colt not an endorsement of Case. I know Jay loves Colt, but if HE is a betting man, and the wager is his job, I just can not imagine him starting Colt. I think Case will pick up the system just fine. They traded for Alex Smith last year, supposedly without Gruden's input, and he was the starter. I am not going to say that Alex is on the same level of Case, but lets just say I was never a fan of Alex. And i believe Case fits better for Gruden's system than Alex. I think Case is the starter unless Haskins really picks everything up at light speed. Not sure where that will leave Colt.

Also, this is as much me thinking logically as it is me thinking about what I want. Colt McCoy starting the year, in my opinion, means the year is over before it begins and everyone is going to be fired.    

Actually, no.   Colt is clearly our third most "talented" QB only when you factor Alex in.   Case was undrafted and not considered a very good NFL prospect and wouldn't easily be said to be more "talented" than Colt from an evaluation process.   Colt was considered a pretty good prospect and was drafted and started probably too early in the NFL.   Colt has plenty of talent.   The comfort with Case is he's been a regular starter more recently and had one really good season as the starter with the Vikings, where Colt hasn't really started since 2014 and while that was with us and he actually played well, that doesn't really help him much.   What does is his complete knowledge of the offense and fact Jay loves his little butt.    I certainly won't be surprised if Case does start given Colt is slow on the leg recovery, but if both are there every day, I just can't see Case winning to open the year.   But I've been wrong before.

4 hours ago, Art said:

This is a remarkably accurate statement :).

Good.   Then take the bet.   You trust me least.   And you're wrong.   There a LOTS of folks on the team who know precisely what they want to happen and what they expect to happen.   Plans dissolve upon contact with reality obviously, so all things remain possible, but if anyone actually thinks the team is going to put a rookie QB with the major knock as inexperience and pressure handling due to inexperience in for the opener in Philly that person lacks any ability to think.   While true all things are possible, what's the LEAST possible thing there is?   Yeah.   THAT.   Don't trust me.   Trust yourself cause you already know.

If you know anything about the Redskins is that doing the right thing and taking our time hasn't really been our gameplan since Snyder took over. I can see arguments both good and bad for why Case will probably be the starter and the same applies to Haskins and Colt. It's not my bet, but if it were I wouldn't be relying on what somebody else thinks will happen. I honestly don't know anymore what the team's intentions are. I don't disagree that Haskins shouldn't start game 1, but to say it won't happen simply because it would make the least amount of sense even AFTER every dysfunctional thing this team has done is ludicrous. 

Archived