Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Starting QB 2019???

Renegade7

Who should be the starting QB in 2019???  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the starting QB in 2019???

• Alex Smith
    • Colt McCoy
    • Trade for a Veteran
    • Sign a Veteran
    • First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Non-First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Too Early to Answer
    • I don't know yet
    • We're screwed (at least at QB for 2019)

2 minutes ago, desertbeagle85 said:

to be honest.

That implies that you're not always honest... But yeah they'll keep 3 QBs somewhere.  Since they have a guy who can be put on the practice squad it's no sure thing that Colt makes the roster.  Also, he's not healthy as of now.  We'll see.  If they want to take Alex Smith off the books this year they'll need to make some cuts and that could play out now.

10 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

That sounds like a switch you make in a losing season, you predicting a losing season?

Switching QBs mid-season is a big deal.

I predict that we'll be meh. We'll have a good defense and a developing offense. Record wise, I'm not sure what that means, but if it looks like last year i can see them making the move, especially if fan turnout is like last year (i don't predict it will be that bad but nowhere near the glory days) 

On 4/26/2019 at 4:29 PM, mistertim said:

This one. This universe right here. I think right now both Colt and Case are far more prepared to take NFL snaps than Haskins.

Id agree, today. 4 months from today may be a different story. Colt’s not healthy, and so physically limited it won’t take much for Haskins to pass him. Case isn’t much better. How quickly can Haskins mentally digest everything? No one knows.

I’d put my money on him starting. Jay has told us many times what he’d like to see, dominant run game and defense. I’d bet Haskins starts and the game plan is heavy run and play D. Haskins can play the short game, stay ahead of the chains...

27 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

I predict that we'll be meh. We'll have a good defense and a developing offense. Record wise, I'm not sure what that means, but if it looks like last year i can see them making the move, especially if fan turnout is like last year (i don't predict it will be that bad but nowhere near the glory days) 

If it looks like last year and we're 6-3 before the injuries just devastated us you think we'll make a change?   Of course you don't, but I do find it intriguing you only remember how we sucked when all our players were hurt but not how we were doing ok when that wasn't the case.   No team could overcome what we've had the last two years from an injury standpoint.   And we finished 7-9.   If we had HALF as many injuries last year we finish 10-6.   This team is flawed and is not deep, but while true the way we have ended the last two seasons with dozens of players out has been terrible, we've not been, on the whole, terrible, for a reason.   That reason is it's not as bad as it looks until everyone's gone and it's terrible.

I think Gruden wants Colt to start, and he gives us the best chance at a good start while we're healthy to start the year because he knows the system best.   I do see Keenum coming in when Colt sputters and the two going back and forth a bit for as long as we're reasonably competitive.   I do not see Haskins coming in at all next year because he won't win the competition early when we are as good as we'll be, and we won't risk him when the team looks like it did when we put Josh out there.

15 minutes ago, dballer said:

I’d put my money on him starting. Jay has told us many times what he’d like to see, dominant run game and defense. I’d bet Haskins starts and the game plan is heavy run and play D. Haskins can play the short game, stay ahead of the chains...

I would too.  Jay also said that the philosophy is that you don't draft a QB high to come in and sit, rather you expect him to come in and be ready to compete.  Definitely Haskins will come in and compete. 

As for the game plan or winning formula, they have said that they aim to win on defense and control the game with an ideal scenario being 17-13 type of game.  Agree or disagree with that for what it's worth but basically ball control game plan.  Haskins makes good decisions on tape.  Didn't have many games where he lost it.  In a ball control offense like WCO, he'd be asked to make quick progressions and get move the ball.  This does include reads where guys get a step and 20 yard pass plays happen regularly.  Probably would benefit from screens, slants, triangular targets in zone coverage (like in the air raid system), and some RPO's.  All of which Haskins is good at and highly accurate.  Definitely peaks interest heading into 2019.  I'm not Bullish on the skins yet for 2019 but the future looks more interesting for sure. This draft was absolutely A+

8 minutes ago, Art said:

I think Gruden wants Colt to start

Really all indicators are that Gruden is on his last leg and won't be making all the decisions.  Whichever QB has the best momentum coming out of Preseason Week 3 is going to get the initial start.  The wrinkle is that should it be close competition with Haskins involved, the FO will tell Jay what to do.  Jay's like the little kid in the room when it comes to big decisions.  His days as a head coach are about over.  

So it turns out, for all the hype, Haskins was available at 15 with no trade up, Lock didn't go until mid-second round, Grier was three picks away from falling into the 4th, Finley did go in the 4th, Stidham barely snuck into the back end of the 4th, Thorsen was late 5th, and Rypien and Jackson weren't even drafted. Seems like they all ended up more or less where they should have without random internet hype. The only real true "reach" among QBs was Daniel Jones. Still a headscratcher there. though the Giants have been making headscratching moves left and right for the last 6+ months.

As for the Redskins, I'd be very surprised if Haskins wasn't starting by Week 4. But we'll see...

2 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

I believe Snyder and Allen are going to make Jay start Haskins no matter what for Jersey and ticket sales and we'll be better off for it despite being wrong as hell.  I predict he'll outright win the job, but start week 1 regardless because losing g with him in the bench will get old fast.

6 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I believe Snyder and Allen are going to make Jay start Haskins no matter what for Jersey and ticket sales and we'll be better off for it despite being wrong as hell.  I predict he'll outright win the job, but start week 1 regardless because losing g with him in the bench will get old fast.

I agree that Dan and Bruce will heavily weigh on Jay to make him start Haskins. Where we differ is the perceived result. i could see it being really really ugly. Haskins will be behind a non elite OL for the first time, without a bunch of matchup nightmare WRs to throw to, he wouldn't have had time to improve his footwork (which really does need improvement), and would also be adjusting to the speed of NFL defenses in real time with the bullets flying. I truly don't think he'll be near ready until the second half of the season at the earliest.

I'd prefer that he sit for a year but I see no way it happens. Dan and Bruce will likely force Jay to start him immediately (whether he legit wins the QB competition or not) and even if Jay manages to stave that off at first, if we don't have a great start to the season there will be an ever growing chorus of fans chanting for Haskins to come in. 

1 minute ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Case or Colt will start, just as a stopgap for Haskins. He needs to develope for a year behind veterans before hes handed the keys imo. 

I agree, though I’m sure most wont. I’d like to let him sit a full year. Give him time to get some learning in and another year to get some FAs and draft picks in. 

Haskins needs to sit, study and learn from Cavanaugh and Rattay. No need to rush his pro development, especially since this team isn't a QB away from the playoffs. Let Callahan and crew do their thing with our new guys on the OL, and bring Haskins along slowly. Gruden probably won't even be there next year, so I'd say no need in letting the kid get tainted during his rookie campaign. If that leg is fine, Colt will start (if it's purely Gruden's choice). And I hope the team keeps 3 QBs on the active roster. That should've been the approach all along, especially with the injury history of that line and the liability that some of those linemen pose.

Guys this isn’t the 1980s anymore. Rookies come in and can start right away. These guys play all year round from age 12 and it doesn’t matter he had one of starting experience at Ohio State. For every Rodgers or Mahomes there’s guys who can come in and play well and gain invaluable experience. Are we forgetting Mayfield? Sure he sat a couple games but imagine if Tyrod Taylor didn’t get hurt. The Browns may have never gotten a chance to see what he can do. Now they go into a season confident he’s their man. Mayfield remember was not considered the best QB in the draft. 

We need to know if we have a Josh Rosen or a Josh Allen? Having him sit a year or even a few games hinders their development. 

38 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

We need to know if we have a Josh Rosen or a Josh Allen? Having him sit a year or even a few games hinders their development. 

Are those the only two choices, because I'm not sure either is a good one. I will say rookie QBs generally play unless the team has an established alternative. Keenum really doesn't qualify as established (nor does McCoy), so it seems unlikely Haskins sits barring some terrible training camp.

23 hours ago, Art said:

If it looks like last year and we're 6-3 before the injuries just devastated us you think we'll make a change?   Of course you don't, but I do find it intriguing you only remember how we sucked when all our players were hurt but not how we were doing ok when that wasn't the case. 

Come on Art, i was one of the biggest fanboys spouting optimism during the wins, but as much as Smith wasn't losing us games, he wasn't winning us many either. In fact had he made a few more mistakes, like that running out of bounds or or FG kicker missing a kick or us not getting a penalty call against Dallas we're re not 6-3. And our offense was horrible and predictable. We had no deep game, Smith could get us to the opp 40 and wed punt or go for a long fg. And even AP was hit or miss. Dude had a 90 yard run and still didn't get 100 yards that game. 

I'm just saying this to say that to me its not about the record. Of course if we're 0-5 things will change, but if we're 3-3 with a decent passing game and offense vs being 3-3 and all defense is two different scenarios. The first (assuming Case is playing), Case stays in. The second, Dwayne comes in. 

And i like it this way because it's less pressure. He'll be the guy fans are rooting to come in, and once they see Case set the bar he'll be able to exceed that and impress us even more. 

I have no issue with Haskins starting Week 1, considering Case & Colt are the other options.  However, my biggest concern is the expectations that will be put on him without having any kind of established football team around him.  A lot of the success/failure of rookie QB's being thrown into the fire can be attributed to the kind of team built around him.

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

It shouldn't be that complicated.

No need to bring up historical example of the QB's who sat and the QB's who were thrown into the fire.

Just give him as many possible reps in TC and Preseason, and then let the millionaire coach decide if and when he's ready in the RS.

Yup. And this is what Gruden alluded to at the owner’s meeting - that he doesn't want a QB in the waiting, “missing valuable reps.”  I think they’ll make their decision before camp. So, during OTAs and minicamp is where I expect Haskins flaws will be worked on. 

I will say that I don't think his feet are the main flaw. Like Lock, both were praised for having such strong arms that they could get away with good throws without their feet or shoulders in the right place. Personally, I think Haskins main flaw is the hot read to slant or hitch. In general, the OSU line would give Haskins like 4 sec to throw. But to keep D’s honest, Urban Myer would frequently use the trips formation as a bubble screen and with 4.3 receivers, many could turn that into big YAC gains. But most of the time, 2 of the receivers would run posts, one deep and one mid. One of the three would run a hitch but you never knew which of the three would do this so DBs would almost always be confused. The outlet pass always seemed to be the shallow crossing route which a guy like Paris Campbell could turn into a huge gain. All these took time though the OL usually allowed it. The sacks you see Haskins take are him waiting for a receiver to get open. Not like a blown blocking assignment where you have 1 sec to get rid of the ball. 

That’s typical Urban Meyer. Now, fast forward to the Rose Bowl against Washington. The O game plan is very different. My guess is Urban Meyer thinks the Huskies can repeat what Purdue did and to some degree, Penn St. and that is sending pressure up the middle. So, the game plan has more hot read routes like slants and hitches and outs. Very WC like. And Haskins Struggled IMO.  Not total failure but certainly not the 70% accuracy he normally delivers. Balls were not well placed on those slants and hitches. That’s where I think he gets a lot of attention pre-camp. Frankly, I don’t think his OSU receivers were the type to body the defender out to make many of these catches. This is why I’m anxious to see Harmon and Doctson in a flanker role although they are more X types. 

I’m being very general but that’s what I gathered watching 8 cut-up games. I don't think Haskins is a bad QB under pressure like some writers are claiming. I just didn’t think there were many hot read outlets in Urban Myers’ game plan. So Haskins is just not used to it.

If Haskins is starting game 1 with Keenum and McCoy both healthy then it's most definitely Dan Snyder getting in the way once again and you'd think he'd know better by now. You just have to know that isn't a decision that Jay would make.

We'll see what happens soon enough.

54 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

If Haskins is starting game 1 with Keenum and McCoy both healthy then it's most definitely Dan Snyder getting in the way once again and you'd think he'd know better by now. You just have to know that isn't a decision that Jay would make.

We'll see what happens soon enough.

I just don't think you can make that statement right now. There is a possibility that he comes in and legitimately beats out a couple of journeymen/backup level QBs. It is not out of the realm. No way for anyone to know today. Just listen to Jay's press conferences leading up to the season and you'll know. He tends to speak his mind. 

He can't beat out JT Barrett his first or even his second year at Ohio State, yet he's going to show up in a league 10x more difficult and  legitimately beat out a QB that went to the NFCCG and a Qb who has been in Grudens system for over half a decade after a few months and a couple preseason games.

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a5cc6eb145256713059

19 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

He can't beat out JT Barrett his first or even his second year at Ohio State, yet he's going to show up in a league 10x more difficult and  legitimately beat out a QB that went to the NFCCG and a Qb who has been in Grudens system for over half a decade after a few months and a couple preseason games.

🙄  Not sure if I could properly explain how ridiculous I think this entire statement is. 

I do think I will start referring to Keenum as "the man that went to an NFCCG" from now on. 

So basically, Alex Smith is cut.  He might be IR'd for a year, but if he doesnt retire, hes cut.  Haskins and Keenum are a lock, and Gruden already hates to keep 3 QBs, meaning even McCoy is likely on the bubble with the troubles hes having recovering.

For this year, the worst thing we can do is start Haskins.  Keenum is more than qualified to be a stop gap for a year, and the big knock on Haskins is his poor upper body mechanics and throwing motion.  The last thing we want to do is spend a year reinforcing that because we thew him in too early, instead of taking the opportunity to really coach it out of him, improve those mechanics, and set him up for great success next year.  I know everyone wants to play with their shiny new toy immediately, but as long as you refuse to have patience, you continue to make sure you wont have long term success.  Patience for 1-2 years leads to long term success, it just requires someone with the character to withstand the whiny fans who will demand everything now.

Archived