Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Starting QB 2019???

Renegade7

Who should be the starting QB in 2019???  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the starting QB in 2019???

• Alex Smith
    • Colt McCoy
    • Trade for a Veteran
    • Sign a Veteran
    • First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Non-First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Too Early to Answer
    • I don't know yet
    • We're screwed (at least at QB for 2019)

3 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

In what universe is Colt and Case better then Haskins? Haskins is gonna start day one, watch.

This one. This universe right here. I think right now both Colt and Case are far more prepared to take NFL snaps than Haskins. IMO if Haskins is thrown to the wolves too early he's going to crash and burn hard. He has very limited experience, pretty slow/inconsistent footwork, and has poor mobility. He also had an elite OL and a stable of great receiving options in college so he isn't used to lots of pressure and not having all-stars to throw to. Add all that together as well as learning a new pro offense and adjusting to the speed of the NFL game and I think you have a recipe for disaster if you force him to start early.

I think ideally he'd sit for a year, but if the rumors about Dan being heavily involved in picking Haskins are true then there's no way that will happen. Dan will force Jay's hand most likely. And it could get ugly.

35 minutes ago, mistertim said:

This one. This universe right here. I think right now both Colt and Case are far more prepared to take NFL snaps than Haskins. IMO if Haskins is thrown to the wolves too early he's going to crash and burn hard. He has very limited experience, pretty slow/inconsistent footwork, and has poor mobility. He also had an elite OL and a stable of great receiving options in college so he isn't used to lots of pressure and not having all-stars to throw to. Add all that together as well as learning a new pro offense and adjusting to the speed of the NFL game and I think you have a recipe for disaster if you force him to start early.

I think ideally he'd sit for a year, but if the rumors about Dan being heavily involved in picking Haskins are true then there's no way that will happen. Dan will force Jay's hand most likely. And it could get ugly.

How many of these rookie and second year QBs do need to see take their team to playoffs before we start realizing rookie QBs are better then they used to be?  Case and Colt suck by NFL standards, if Haskins cares as much about protection schemes as he says he does, he'll be fine.  I'm not concerned about talent around him, it wont be perfect next year either, he needs reps, as much as possible.

43 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

How many of these rookie and second year QBs do need to see take their team to playoffs before we start realizing rookie QBs are better then they used to be?  Case and Colt suck by NFL standards, if Haskins cares as much about protection schemes as he says he does, he'll be fine.  I'm not concerned about talent around him, it wont be perfect next year either, he needs reps, as much as possible.

Rookie and second year is a very big difference.

Either way, what rookie QB who had very limited starting experience in college came in and took his team to the playoffs? The only one I can think of is Mark Sanchez and he had very little to do with them going to the playoffs his rookie year. Wilson, RG3, Luck, Dalton, Flacco, Ryan, Big Ben...all of those guys had at least 2 full years of starting experience in college.

Right now I think Case and Colt are both better NFL QBs than Haskins. Neither of them are great, but they're both at the "high quality backup" level. The question then is whether it's worth it to risk putting Haskins out there if he isn't ready. With such limited experience if he goes out there and gets absolutely destroyed it could be a big setback in his development. I'd rather only let him start when the coaching staff truly thinks he's ready. Even Jay in his presser talked about taking it slow with him. He then walked it back a little but he had already said a while back when asked about Haskins that he didn't think he'd be a guy ready to start right away.

3 hours ago, mistertim said:

Rookie and second year is a very big difference.

Either way, what rookie QB who had very limited starting experience in college came in and took his team to the playoffs? The only one I can think of is Mark Sanchez and he had very little to do with them going to the playoffs his rookie year. Wilson, RG3, Luck, Dalton, Flacco, Ryan, Big Ben...all of those guys had at least 2 full years of starting experience in college.

Right now I think Case and Colt are both better NFL QBs than Haskins. Neither of them are great, but they're both at the "high quality backup" level. The question then is whether it's worth it to risk putting Haskins out there if he isn't ready. With such limited experience if he goes out there and gets absolutely destroyed it could be a big setback in his development. I'd rather only let him start when the coaching staff truly thinks he's ready. Even Jay in his presser talked about taking it slow with him. He then walked it back a little but he had already said a while back when asked about Haskins that he didn't think he'd be a guy ready to start right away.

We're going to need to agree to disagree.  If they are that worried about him only playing one year, they shouldn't of drafted him.

On 4/26/2019 at 11:55 PM, Renegade7 said:

In what universe is Colt and Case better then Haskins? Haskins is gonna start day one, watch.

Dan Snyder, "Bruce, Haskins starts in the opener in Philly."

Bruce Allen, "Ok boss."

Bruce Allen, "Jay,  Haskins starts vs Philly."

Jay, "Ok boss."

Dwayne Haskins week 1 vs Philly

giphy.gif

All jokes aside...

Colt is on the roster because Jay wants him there and Jay isn't making decisions.  I can see them allowing Colt to come into camp but only as a backup.

Trading for Case was a stop gap insurance policy if they didn't get what they wanted out of the draft.  He's going to come into camp as competition for the starter week 1. 

Drafting Haskins is now the future plan and since there's no incumbent starter, he's on even ground if not the head above water favorite to get the gig at this point. 

Since Case and Haskins are coming into a new Jay Gruden offense and Kevin O'Connell has the inside track on replacing Jay, I'll be watching out for what O'Connell says about the QB's moving forward. 

I don't think Case has any inside track on the starting job over Haskins.  Nor do I believe that in todays NFL that Haskins needs to redshirt a year by default.  It's probably 50/50 right now.

3 minutes ago, BleedBNG said:

To be honest, I'd still take him over Colt.

Fair enough.  It's possible that none of the QBs from last year make the roster.  (Smith on IR until he retires with injury settlement)

With the way the schedule is setup for the first 5 games... I can see the scenario where the offense plays poorly and the skins are like 1-4 or something and Jay gets fired to have Kevin O'Connell as interim HC.  O'Connell elevates Haskins and gets some progressive experience in 2019. 

Honestly, it's more interesting to me whether or not KOC has had any say in all of this, and how closely Jay is being treated to Zorn. 

I doubt it's as bad, but I wonder how much this is about not paying the rest of his contract and having his replacement already lined up. 

If that's the case, then the KOC thing really becomes a story. Was there a split in that room? 

On 4/26/2019 at 9:22 PM, Renegade7 said:

We're going to need to agree to disagree.  If they are that worried about him only playing one year, they shouldn't of drafted him.

14 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

All jokes aside...

Colt is on the roster because Jay wants him there and Jay isn't making decisions.  I can see them allowing Colt to come into camp but only as a backup.

Trading for Case was a stop gap insurance policy if they didn't get what they wanted out of the draft.  He's going to come into camp as competition for the starter week 1. 

Drafting Haskins is now the future plan and since there's no incumbent starter, he's on even ground if not the head above water favorite to get the gig at this point. 

Since Case and Haskins are coming into a new Jay Gruden offense and Kevin O'Connell has the inside track on replacing Jay, I'll be watching out for what O'Connell says about the QB's moving forward. 

I don't think Case has any inside track on the starting job over Haskins.  Nor do I believe that in todays NFL that Haskins needs to redshirt a year by default.  It's probably 50/50 right now.

Fair enough.  It's possible that none of the QBs from last year make the roster.  (Smith on IR until he retires with injury settlement)

I think trading for Case was/is an attempt to make a run regardless of who they drafted at QB. The Skins mgmt and coaches have gone on record saying they have a talented roster and just need to avoid injuries upon injuries to be a playoff team. Case can lead a team and make plays, he's proven that. Also, he was cheap, cost nothing and was available.  That being said, he's not the future and doesn't excite the fan base so his replacement needed to be found. I wonder what the Skins would've done had Haskins not been there? Did they really want him or did he fall into their laps and they had to take him? Who knows for sure? Would they have taken Lock? 

I believe Jay when he says that Haskins will have a chance to start if he beats out Case and Colt.....I also think we have two great options to use to start the season should Haskins not be ready. Given the hand they were dealt to start the offseason, I think the Redskins really played their cards well at the QB position and beyond. We went from desperate doormats to a team with a pretty interesting/exciting future at QB and continued to bolster the defense at the same time. Well done.

3 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Honestly, it's more interesting to me whether or not KOC has had any say in all of this, and how closely Jay is being treated to Zorn. 

I doubt it's as bad, but I wonder how much this is about not paying the rest of his contract and having his replacement already lined up. 

If that's the case, then the KOC thing really becomes a story. Was there a split in that room? 

I'm not sure where I saw it or heard it first, however the article about Jay not being in on the player acquisitions came from inside Redskins park.  They squashed the whole thing with logical explanations.  Then, the next leak I saw was about how they elevated KOC because the FO views him as the next McVay.  The FO doesn't want another screw up like that.  Now O'Connell is the OC and setup to take Jays job as he's on the hot seat.  It just smells like they've had enough of Jay and wanted McVay results from Jay and didn't get it while losing out on McVay who was the OC.  If you go back and look at O'Connell and where his mindset comes from you'll see that it's aligned with the players they've been drafting and definitely in line with what Haskins is best at. 

To Jays future and possibilities that are currently in play...Jay performed best with a pocket passer in his West Coast Offensive scheme with Andy Dalton (6'2" 220 lbs).  He hasn't had that type of passer yet in DC.  Haskins is the closest thing to that and prototypical WCO QB.  So, maybe they give him more rope???

@kingdaddy  I believe the plan was pass rusher unless Haskins fell to them, thus they wouldn't pass him up.  Jay said they drafted Love because they just couldn't pass him up.

Call it pragmatic, but I don't want Colt back out there because of the turnovers and believe if Haskins is the future its in our best interests to get him reps since the complaint is he ain't had enough.  I don't think there needs to be a call downstairs from Snyder, what we saw from Case last year is likely the real case (at least we need to be prepared for that).  Haskins is better then that, these young QBs are contributing more at younger age, its real that's the future.

4 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

To Jays future and possibilities that are currently in play...Jay performed best with a pocket passer in his West Coast Offensive scheme with Andy Dalton (6'2" 220 lbs).  He hasn't had that type of passer yet in DC.  Haskins is the closest thing to that and prototypical WCO QB.  So, maybe they give him more rope???

If I was Jay, I'd be trying to angle my way in to getting time to develop him to buy him more time instead of getting fired.  I'd want Haskins out there day 1 and full support to develop him despite the bumps and brusies that come with a rookie QB.  

Sell them damn jerseys already!!!!

Just now, desertbeagle85 said:

I don't see Haskins starting week 1. Takes time to learn a system and Colt and Case will have a jump on the kid. We'll see if he out plays them I'm sure he'll be the starter.  He might only ha e to beat out Case to be fair thought. Who knows when Colt comes back. 

Or IF Colt comes back? We now have Haskins and Keenum, if Keenum beats out Colt do we even keep him around? Isn't the 3rd string QB typically a young guy being groomed? 

Hypothetically, would Josh Johnson be a  younger, healthier, cheaper option? 

I'm convinced that Colt doesn't make it. He's hurt right now. The logical thing is to have him on the PUP until he's healthy, but if we go into camp with him as the starter (unlikely) or the season with him as the starter, he's out in max of 2 weeks because he'll be hurt. 

So it's really a question of Case vs Dwayne and my money's on Case to start and Dwayne after the bye 

1 minute ago, Thinking Skins said:

So it's really a question of Case vs Dwayne and my money's on Case to start and Dwayne after the bye 

That sounds like a switch you make in a losing season, you predicting a losing season?

Switching QBs mid-season is a big deal.

6 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Or IF Colt comes back? We now have Haskins and Keenum, if Keenum beats out Colt do we even keep him around? Isn't the 3rd string QB typically a young guy being groomed? 

Hypothetically, would Josh Johnson be a  younger, healthier, cheaper option? 

I think we keep all 3 to be honest. After what we went through with injuries last year we'd be dumb not to. 

Just now, Renegade7 said:

That sounds like a switch you make in a losing season, you predicting a losing season?

Switching QBs mid-season is a big deal.

Yeah normally means you teams season is over or on the verge of being over. I'm sure the Skins will be ready to make a change at the bye if Haskins isn't already starting. 

Just now, TheShredder said:

That lends a few extra points towards Haskins being the Day 1 starter.

Butts won't stay in the seat unless the team is winning. I don't care who the QB is this team needs to start winning period. 

Just now, desertbeagle85 said:

Yeah normally means you teams season is over or on the verge of being over. I'm sure the Skins will be ready to make a change at the bye if Haskins isn't already starting. 

I promise you there will be zero patience if we come out that Giant game 1-3 or something, might as well not set ourselves up for that all I'm saying if anyway possible.

Archived