Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Starting QB 2019???

Renegade7

Who should be the starting QB in 2019???  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the starting QB in 2019???

• Alex Smith
    • Colt McCoy
    • Trade for a Veteran
    • Sign a Veteran
    • First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Non-First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Too Early to Answer
    • I don't know yet
    • We're screwed (at least at QB for 2019)

4 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Generally, I'd want my HC to pick his QB but I can't stand Jay so yeah, override his lameduck butt.

PS: Jay thinks/thought Colt was really good. Not exactly the person I want evaluating QBs.

does he expect to go to a Super Bowl?  If not then good enough can mean a lot of things

I like Haskins but if we trade away a bunch of picks to move up to 3rd, I will go bonkers. For some reason I see Snyder demanding this be done. I’m gonna say Case is our QB next year w Haskins, Lock, or Jones sitting. Shame because I think the NFC east is up for grabs. 

10 hours ago, HardcoreZorn said:

What would everyone prefer? Override Jay but secure what the FO believes to be the QBOTF (Haskins in this case). Or Jay is allowed to roll with colt/case and we draft an impact player elsewhere? 

Pretty torn. But if they think he has the goods and Jay doesn’t want him bc he’s not going to step in week 1 as the starter so we pass on him, I think that’s more dentrimental than potentially overriding the HC on who to draft. 

Coaches are paid to coach, not develop talent. I've seen numerous examples of good coaches be given GM level decisions making and fail at it. Not to mention that odds are strong Gruden is gone after the season, so I'd rather the people actually hired to pick the players make the decision. The Redskins don't really need an Andy Dalton 2.0 on the roster to try and build around. If there's a good value to be had, then let the GM/Scouts make the pick.

18 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

I like Haskins but if we trade away a bunch of picks to move up to 3rd, I will go bonkers. For some reason I see Snyder demanding this be done. I’m gonna say Case is our QB next year w Haskins, Lock, or Jones sitting. Shame because I think the NFC east is up for grabs. 

I don't even understand the rumor. There's little chance Haskins gets picked before #6 at best. Why not just trade for #5? Is Tampa really not going to do a deal? Haskins is a good prospect, but a risky one. No one should trade up to #3 for him. No one.

18 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Coaches are paid to coach, not develop talent.

I'm not sure how to ask this without it coming across snarky, but could you expand on this?  That statement sounds like all the coaches are supposed to do is put together a game plan and the players go execute it. They are not meant to teach or improve the talent level of the player once they get to the team.  So you are saying if we draft someone, their talent level is going to be the same as it is on that day unless they develop it on their own?  

I'm not grasping that statement.  Maybe I'm too tired! 😴

31 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Coaches are paid to coach, not develop talent. I've seen numerous examples of good coaches be given GM level decisions making and fail at it. Not to mention that odds are strong Gruden is gone after the season, so I'd rather the people actually hired to pick the players make the decision. The Redskins don't really need an Andy Dalton 2.0 on the roster to try and build around. If there's a good value to be had, then let the GM/Scouts make the pick.

8 minutes ago, GatorEye said:

I'm not sure how to ask this without it coming across snarky, but could you expand on this?  That statement sounds like all the coaches are supposed to do is put together a game plan and the players go execute it. They are not meant to teach or improve the talent level of the player once they get to the team.  So you are saying if we draft someone, their talent level is going to be the same as it is on that day unless they develop it on their own?  

IMO it's flat out wrong, because what GMs do is acquire talent which is different than developing talent.  They pick them on draft day, sign them during free agency then leave them to the coaches.  So if the coaches aren't supposed to develop these guys then they're just supposed to come in and they'll be the same when they leave

39 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

Dallas & Philly are better than us everywhere, but at least we have 20 million of Alex Smith. 

37 minutes ago, Jericho said:

And what, pray tell, is coaching.

7 hours ago, volsmet said:
7 hours ago, Jericho said:

I think I understand half of what he was trying to say...therefor he's half wrong.

Coming into the NFL there's some college systems that have more Pro ready systems and players coming from those systems translate into an NFL teams system by coaching them into it.  However, most players have raw talent and aren't coming into the NFL ready.  Most rookies need to be developed, not only their talent and abilities but to the scheme and speed of the game at the next level.  That's why coaches get paid so much as they have proven they can take talent to another level (i.e., Callahan).  Really good top tier NFL Head Coaches can identify weaknesses in the teams roster and find players who don't do a lot of things right, but the couple of things they're good at get identified and plugged into the system to look like All Pros (i.e., Belichick). 

Yes, coaching includes developing players, as well as not trying force square pegs into round holes and knowing when that piece doesn't fit. 

8 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

Oh and it is..you damn right it is .it's up for the taking and the Redskins are going to take it by a storm..start off by going 4-1!!

I'd say they are about 3 pieces away from making that a decent bet.  Edge Rusher, WR, LG might do the trick. 

8 hours ago, carex said:

IMO it's flat out wrong, because what GMs do is acquire talent which is different than developing talent.  They pick them on draft day, sign them during free agency then leave them to the coaches.  So if the coaches aren't supposed to develop these guys then they're just supposed to come in and they'll be the same when they leave

8 hours ago, GatorEye said:

8 hours ago, volsmet said:

Maybe I was too tied when I wrote my prior post, cause it doesn't even make sense to me. Sorry, it was a long day. Yes, coaching does involves developing talent. It's literally the definition of the word - to train or instruct. So that's not what I meant.

My point was more along these lines. Coaches should take the players given and: (1) try to make them better at their jobs; and (2) use said players to formulate a game plan against opponents. The job of the General Manager is to acquire the players. Preferably the most talented players, but there's often a trade off in picking the best player right now with the potential best player in 2-3 years. So, at times, tough decisions have to be made. The problem of giving coaches the role of GM is they tend to take players that fit their system rather than the best players available. I'm sure Gruden wants a QB that fits his system and checks certain boxes. But the odds that it's also the same QB that the front office thinks is best are probably not great. I'd rather take the best player, rather the player that fits Gruden's system best. Partly because I don't think Gruden will be here that long. And partly because coaches picking "their" guys often leads to bad choices.

It's inevitable that there has to be some trade off between system fit and best talent when selecting players. You can't just take players that don't fit the system. But, because coaches tend to get fired quickly, systems change all the time. So you can't just take the best system fits either or else half your roster is useless the next time you fire a coach. So there's always some compromise. However, QB is simply too important a position to compromise on. Take the best guy. Not a QB version of Ryan Grant or Colt McCoy 2.0.

They need to address QB at either #15, or by trading for Rosen.  Snyder is probably going this route, because the STH base is dwindling by the hour, and fan interest is at an all time low for this team (which says something, considering what we've been through with Vinny, Zorn, and the RGIII drama).  He needs to do something to not only get STH back, but to drive merchandising sales back to acceptable levels for an NFL franchise.  Drafting a QB fits this bill, since rookie QB's represent hope, and anticipation.  I predict we draft Haskins, or trade for Rosen.  It's inevitable, because the other option of rolling with Case Keenum or Colt McCoy for next year, is not a financially viable option for Snyder & Co.

11 hours ago, Jericho said:

I don't even understand the rumor. There's little chance Haskins gets picked before #6 at best. Why not just trade for #5? Is Tampa really not going to do a deal? Haskins is a good prospect, but a risky one. No one should trade up to #3 for him. No one.

One thing to remember is that every year QB’s end up being a hot commodity at draft time. Look at a guy like Trubisky. He went from a borderline first rounder to the #2 pick. Teams are desperate for a franchise qb and will do what it takes to get one. Redskins are no different. 

I don't understand.

Pretty much no one wanted Jones a couple of months ago, and now he's a top 5 pick? The dude is the epitome of a project. I won't say he's doomed to failure, because he's not. But he needs some polish. He's a project through and through. I wouldn't draft him higher than the 4th or 5th round. He'll go higher because of how QB desperate the league is, but first round is insane. 

Haskins at 15 is a no brainer. Still a reach if going by pure BPA, in my opinion. There are more than 15 players in this draft who are better football players. But he gets the benefit of QB inflation. I'd be more than okay with him at that spot. Trading up for him is a mistake, in my opinion. 

But I can't say I'd lose sleep if they did trade up for a QB they really believed in. The Skins desperately need one. 

But I certainly wouldn't do it. But I'm here, they're there. They certainly know more than I do. So we'll see how it plays out.

I think a Devin Bush has the potential to be the BPA at our pick, and I don't know how you pass on him UNLESS Haskins is there.

Just now, KDawg said:

I don't understand.

Pretty much no one wanted Jones a couple of months ago, and now he's a top 5 pick? The dude is the epitome of a project. I won't say he's doomed to failure, because he's not. But he needs some polish. He's a project through and through. I wouldn't draft him higher than the 4th or 5th round. He'll go higher because of how QB desperate the league is, but first round is insane. 

Haskins at 15 is a no brainer. Still a reach if going by pure BPA, in my opinion. There are more than 15 players in this draft who are better football players. But he gets the benefit of QB inflation. I'd be more than okay with him at that spot. Trading up for him is a mistake, in my opinion. 

But I can't say I'd lose sleep if they did trade up for a QB they really believed in. The Skins desperately need one. 

But I certainly wouldn't do it. But I'm here, they're there. They certainly know more than I do. So we'll see how it plays out.

I think a Devin Bush has the potential to be the BPA at our pick, and I don't know how you pass on him UNLESS Haskins is there.

Devin Bush needs shoulder surgery... Wouldn't touch him, not a good fit for our D. Devin White is the only surefire ILB but most likely won't be there. I like Haskins at 15.

I stand by my original comments that Ed Oliver/Kyler Murray are #1 and #2 best players in this draft. Devin White #3.

2 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

I stand by my original comments that Ed Oliver/Kyler Murray are #1 and #2 best players in this draft. Devin White #3.

I'm not in total disagreement here.

Not sure where Murray ranks, though. As an actual football player he's undoubtedly in the top few. But his size is a question mark. Not sure how much of a question mark, though. Higher ceiling and lower floor than Haskins, imo. That puts them about even on the overall ranking, but at the same time the potential on Murray is through the roof.

Ed Oliver is a stud. Not sure if he's Quinnen Williams good.

People keep sleeping on Nick Bosa, too. Although I think he's a TAD overrated in that i believe Oliver, Williams and Allen are all better DL prospects. 

In keeping with the theme of this thread being about QBs, accounting for risk and some QB inflation... my rankings:

1. Quinnen WIlliams

2. Josh Allen

3. Devin White

4. Ed Oliver

5. Nick Bosa

6. TJ Hockenson

7. Kyler Murray

8. Dwayne Haskins

9. Jeffery Simmons

10. Christian Wilkins

This Raiders rumor is amusing.  We got a backdrop of Jon sending the scouts home because they supposedly can't be trusted.    Then there are some suspecting that the Jets are spreading the rumor because they desperately want to trade down and hope that it will bait a team to trade up.  I am not a Haskins guy so I hope the Raiders do take him but got my doubts that it goes down.   

I'm not likely to believe anything I read in the final hours leading up to draft day. There's so much BS being thrown out there right now that it's impossible not to be poo'd on by it. Teams are all trying to out-maneuver each other, and sports sites are just trying to get as many clicks as possible.

Let's just see what happens on draft day. Myself, I'd like to see us grab TJ Hockenson if he's there at 15. Dude is a beast, and we desperately need some more talent on that offense. Either him, or draft the best G possible to improve the left side of that line.

Archived