• Blog Entries

• By Destino in ES Coverage
      The home team fans are at home, these games no longer matter, and it’s probably better for the team to lose than it is to win.  It must be December in Washington.  Welcome to week 15!

Redskins Inactive: 
      Colt McCoy  
      Trey Quinn 
      Quinton Dunbar  
      Josh Harvey-Clemons  
      Ross Pierschbacher  
      Brandon Scherff  
      Caleb Wilson  

Eagles Inactive: 
      Nate Sudfeld  
      Nelson Agholor 
      Jordan Howard  
      Shareef Miller 
      Lane Johnson  
      Sua Opeta  
      Derek Barnet

There are two camps for Redskins fans at this time of year.  Those that want to tank and those that want to win.  If this describes you, I want you to know something important. You’re wrong.  You should probably feel bad about it too, but that’s your business.  The right way to go about this, is simply to embrace the doublethink.  

Before and after the game it’s perfectly reasonable to acknowledge that losing has its advantages.  It does and it is undeniable.  Afterall we could be talking about the difference between Chase Young being in a Redskins uniform, or not.  What we need for that to happen is simple.  Redskins lose out.  Giants beat the Dolphins and Redskins.  Dolphins beat the Bengals.  All of these things are perfectly reasonable outcomes.  We’re that close to having an elite pass rusher.   

Before that happens, we have a game to play.  It is in this moment that we should embrace the other side of our demented doublethink.  While the game is being played, especially against a division opponent, fans should want their team to do well.  Assuming they have a soul and any decency.  There is just no way that I can root for the Eagles to beat the Redskins during a game.  If you are the type of fan that does this, I hope you find someone that can fix what has broken inside of you.   

Pregame Prediction:  Redskins 23 – Eagles 30  
      More interesting game we are missing because we are still watching the Redskins:  Packers – Bears  
      Things I am snacking on:  Brownie.   
      Number of colons used:  Six.  (so far)  

Check back for updates.  I’m going to wander around the room for a while and stretch my legs to get away from a certain well-known ESPN Eagle fan’s boring conversations that my ear phones aren’t blocking out entirely.

1st Quarter Redskins 7 - 3 Eagles
      "The Closer" Haskins showed up for work early today and hit his former college teammate for a touchdown.  He really took the life out of this crowd in *checks notes* Fedex Field. 

2nd Quarter Redskins 14 - 10 Eagles
      This quarter was defined by penalties.  The Redskins made the mistake of lightly hitting an Eagles tight end on the shoulder, and then another by tackling the Eagles QB around the waist.  Refs clearly didn't appreciate the Redskins playing football.

This is the best half of football of Haskins pro career.  The Redskins passing offense as a whole has looked impressive, which... well it just shouldn't be.  Right?  Feels like a trap.  As soon as we start to feel good about it, BOOM they'll tear our hearts out. 

I'll say this much though, Redskins receivers have been running around wide open throughout this first half.  The Redskins should have scored more than 14.

Halftime:  If you had a choice between standing in a relatively long line for ice cream and cookies or nachos and hot dogs which would you choose?  I would go with ice cream.  Unfortunately I didn't realize there were two separate lines, and so I ended up with nachos and disappointment.  Also, I should probably mention Urban Meyer is here.  I bet he got the ice cream.   

3rd Quarter Redskins 14 - 17 Eagles
      Wentz made a good throw, giving his team the lead, and it reminded me that Wentz was once a pretty good QB.  Hasn't looked like it often today.  The Eagles really haven't had a lot of open players for Wentz to throw to, but there is more to it than that.  Wentz looks slow. 

Haskins has out played him through three quarters, and we haven't even reached Haskins best quarter. 

4th Quarter Redskins 27 - 37 Eagles
      Some drunk Redskins fans sitting in front of the press box have recognized a Eagles fan that appears often on CNN and have started knocking on the glass to wave their hands and smile at him now the the Redskins have the lead.  These fans have apparently never learned not to tempt fate.

Redskins defense played fairly well all game but picked the worst possible time to give up a long drive for a touchdown.  The Eagles offense came off the field with a four point lead and less than a minute left in the game.  The fumble return for a touchdown on the aborted hail marry attempt just added insult to injury.  Redskins come up short, for the eleventh time this season. 

End of game thoughts.  Haskins actually looked like a real NFL QB for an entire NFL game.  Not just a drive here or there, but for an entire game Haskins looked like he belonged.  He looked like one of the reasons the Redskins might win the game.  He's shown flashes in the past but nothing like this.  A very encouraging sign for fans that believe he can be a part of the future here. 

The Giants did their part to fall back in the draft, by absolutely dismantling the mighty Dolphins.  May the Giants be victorious, at least one more time this season.  We just need to lose to the Giants and have the Dolphins beat the Bengals, and the Redskins will be sitting alone at 3 wins.  Chase Young could happen.

Renegade7

Starting QB 2019???

Who should be the starting QB in 2019???  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the starting QB in 2019???

• Alex Smith
    • Colt McCoy
    • Trade for a Veteran
    • Sign a Veteran
    • First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Non-First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Too Early to Answer
    • I don't know yet
    • We're screwed (at least at QB for 2019)

Posted (edited)

Nathan Coleman @JhawkChalk89

Nathan Coleman Retweeted Jim Sannes

Jim’s yearly rookie QB article is a must-read. A few things for #Redskins fans to consider with Josh Rosen.

-Only 22(98th percentile breakout age)

-#Cardinals ranked dead last in pass protection/supporting cast

-Rosen perpetually plays from behind in both college and the pros

Edited by Califan007
  • Like 1

Rosen would simply be a great acquisition in our current situation if the price is our second rounder and a mid pick in 2020. Complete no brainer, come on FO get this done.

• Like 4

It's kind of amazing how a whole month after the "story" broke that the Cards might trade Rosen to the Redskins, reporters are still churning out articles hyping it up.

"Hey guys, remember that QB named Josh Rosen that I wrote an article about his trade prospects yesterday? Well I got some new dirt on it: The Cardinals are very likely to maybe entertain the possibility of trading him. Last week, I detailed how the Cardinals would want a first round draft pick, but I've got late breaking news: The Cardinals would want a draft pick in the first round. Retweet this 5 times or you'll go blind and not be able to read my new indepth story about how a team in Washington is showing interest in a high-profile QB from Arizona."

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, NickyJ said:

It's kind of amazing how a whole month after the "story" broke that the Cards might trade Rosen to the Redskins, reporters are still churning out articles hyping it up.

"Hey guys, remember that QB named Josh Rosen that I wrote an article about his trade prospects yesterday? Well I got some new dirt on it: The Cardinals are very likely to maybe entertain the possibility of trading him. Last week, I detailed how the Cardinals would want a first round draft pick, but I've got late breaking news: The Cardinals would want a draft pick in the first round. Retweet this 5 times or you'll go blind and not be able to read my new indepth story about how a team in Washington is showing interest in a high-profile QB from Arizona."

What does retweet mean?

3 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Rosen would simply be a great acquisition in our current situation if the price is our second rounder and a mid pick in 2020. Complete no brainer, come on FO get this done.

Why so he can be one man trash into another mans dumpster fire?? Id rather keep the pick and let jay pick his next qb only way for us to win...

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

Why so he can be one man trash into another mans dumpster fire?? Id rather keep the pick and let jay pick his next qb only way for us to win...

Perhaps Rosen "is" Jay's QB...

• Like 3

Why do you say Rosen is trash? The Cardinals were bad last year,so no one really knows if Rosen sucks..I think it is worth the gamble to give up a 2nd to find out.

Posted (edited)

Both of the QBs we could potentially get at 15 (Murray will be gone...so Haskins or Lock) are IMO even bigger boom or bust players than Rosen. Rosen is far more polished than either of them though he has his own red flags as well. I'm willing to give him a mulligan on last year since he was a rookie and he had a crap supporting cast, a crap offensive system, and a crap coach. I think he'd be a steal for a 2nd. I'd rather not give up a 1st and I don't think we'll have to unless the Giants get an itchy trigger finger and panic. 

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Getting traded from the Cards to the Skins.  That's like eating at a booth at Arby's and then being forced to finish your meal on the floor.  

Edited by AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

11 hours ago, mistertim said:

Some of the "excuses" are actually realistic. As I mentioned above, he had easily the worst OL in the NFL last year. They also had absolutely inept play calling (their OC got fired in the during the season). As far as receiving, Fitzgerald is still a somewhat shifty slot guy but he's 35 years old and a shell of the WR he once was. Johnson was completely misused all season...that's one of the reasons their first OC got fired. Kirk had an ok year for a rookie but he was still a 2nd round rookie so I don't think anyone was expecting him to come in immediately and be OBJ or something. There was stat line posted in here not long ago that showed Arizona's receivers being 29th ranked in the league in getting separation.

Rosen absolutely has some flags and some issues with his game. But IMO the whole thing about him being on an awful team with a ton of glaring deficiencies is completely legit as well.

Ok you may feel different about the excuses but I just tire a fans constant excuses for their favorite QB in this city. I feel the crazy thing about Redskins fans and Rosen are people are already making excuses for a guy who isn’t even on the team. 

I notice on this forum and on twitter is a lot intrigue in getting Rosen is the team doesn’t have to invest a lot.  The thinking that using 2nd rounder on QB keeping a first is better than taking the QB at #15 or moving up and taking a QB.  But I don’t think you should bargain shop for QBs.  If the team feels they can get their franchise QB that they love in the 1st round they should make that move.

The truth is I think he sucked last year as well as his team.  I do believe he will improve but I only see him being no better than average QB.  I also believe ARZ will stick with him for another year unless a team offers them a first for him, but I don’t see that happening

58 minutes ago, hogdirty said:

Ok you may feel different about the excuses but I just tire a fans constant excuses for their favorite QB in this city. I feel the crazy thing about Redskins fans and Rosen are people are already making excuses for a guy who isn’t even on the team. 

I notice on this forum and on twitter is a lot intrigue in getting Rosen is the team doesn’t have to invest a lot.  The thinking that using 2nd rounder on QB keeping a first is better than taking the QB at #15 or moving up and taking a QB.  But I don’t think you should bargain shop for QBs.  If the team feels they can get their franchise QB that they love in the 1st round they should make that move.

The truth is I think he sucked last year as well as his team.  I do believe he will improve but I only see him being no better than average QB.  I also believe ARZ will stick with him for another year unless a team offers them a first for him, but I don’t see that happening

He's not my "favorite QB". I really like some aspects of his game and some I don't. But to say it is just excuse making when I point out the very real facts about his poor team situation last year when discussing him is ignoring reality. He was a rookie QB on the worst team in the NFL, with the absolute worst OL, a group of receivers that ranked 29th in separation, and an OC who was completely lost and outmatched in every single game and who got fired during the season because of it. 

As far as bargain shopping for QBs, it isn't like we're scraping the bottom of the barrel. He's a year removed from being a top 10 pick, he's 22 years old, and he has a cheap contract. IMO every one of the top QBs in this class is more of a risk than Rosen is. They're all boom or bust in a major way for various reasons. If Rosen were in this draft I think he'd easily be the 2nd QB picked after Murray; he'd definitely be a top 5 pick. 

Posted (edited)

What a mess. While it's true Rosen is only entering his 2nd year the fact is the vast majority of QBs picked in the 1st round are busts and Rosen has already shown concerning signs. There is a reason the Cards are bailing after only 1 season, it's not like Murray is an Andrew Luck like prospect who is too good to pass up.    While it may be true  that he is a better gamble than the QB who will be available when they pick it's still a long shot. 

Edited by Darrell Green Fan

Posted (edited)

Listened to a Arizona reporter just now on a podcast about Rosen.

In short:

A.  He does think they trade Rosen.

B.  He thinks a #1 pick is "way too high" for Rosen as to value and thinks a 2nd gets a deal done or a 3rd and a 4th

C.  They like Murray's fit to the new system and Murray (not Rosen) will bring fans to the stands

He thinks Rosen can be a good QB.  His thought was his main weakness was he was late on throws so it was easy for defenders to sit on what he was doing.    He get along fine with Rosen.  He said he carries himself with a lot of arrogance like he's the best player in the room and maybe everyone doesn't love that.  And he carries himself that way even after bad games and maybe that puts people off.  He said his demeanor and how he acts reminds him of Aaron Rodgers.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

What a mess. While it's true Rosen is only entering his 2nd year the fact is the vast majority of QBs picked in the 1st round are busts and Rosen has already shown concerning signs. There is a reason the Cards are bailing after only 1 season, it's not like Murray is an Andrew Luck like prospect who is too good to pass up.    While it may be true  that he is a better gamble than the QB who will be available when they pick it's still a long shot. 

I think the Cards bailing has more to do with their new coaching and system than something specific to Rosen (from what I've read their HC seems to have a 24/7 woodie when thinking about getting Murray on his team). I also think they need to fill seats and Murray would certainly do that. Even if he doesn't end up being that great he's still an electric player who will make some highlight reel plays occasionally. Let's also not forget that the Cards have the distinction of having a GM and FO that is pretty much just as bad as the Skins.

I don't think it's going to work out for them as well as they hope. In college Murray played behind a great OL, had great receivers (including 2 likely 1st rounders), and has extremely limited experience. He's basically going to exact opposite situation in AZ; dreadful OL and a sub-par receiving corps...and now he's going to be thrown to the wolves from day 1. His athleticism will certainly help him but it can't fix everything. 

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, mistertim said:

I don't think it's going to work out for them as well as they hope. In college Murray played behind a great OL, had great receivers (including 2 likely 1st rounders), and has extremely limited experience. He's basically going to exact opposite situation in AZ; dreadful OL and a sub-par receiving corps...and now he's going to be thrown to the wolves from day 1. His athleticism will certainly help him but it can't fix everything. 

Sadly, if Rosen comes here wonder what he would inherit that is that much better.  Our O line is good when healthy but what are the odds of that versus playing a lot with the patchwork O line we've finished the last two years with?  I'd take Christian Kirk over any receiver we got.  Fitzgerald probably, too.

So if we acquire Rosen he's not going to be moving from a bad supporting cast to a good one -- he'd be going from one bad supporting cast to another.  Hopefully that changes after this draft.

Not saying you are saying anything otherwise.  I am just thinking about the supporting cast for both teams.   Right now if anything our receiving crop is weaker from last year and depth on O line is a little worse.    The Redskins have a lot more work to do to support any QB they acquire.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, bh32 said:

Why do you say Rosen is trash? The Cardinals were bad last year,so no one really knows if Rosen sucks..I think it is worth the gamble to give up a 2nd to find out.

He sucked at UCLA and sucked in Arizona.  Yeah Arizona was bad, so was he. Showing up for games in the PAC12 gets you a 500 record or better. What did he win his senior year? Or any other year? 7 games or something?  A true first pick in the draft, college QB talent, dominates in college. The guy from Marshall on the practice squad in KC was better than Rosen in college but he liked weed and himself too much to fuss with all that practice, so he'll never get off practice squad. First rounder for Rosen is a totally Redskins thing to do. Other than getting budget, non-factor other team cast offs to fill holes. That's the other Redskins thing to do.

Is Bruce still here?  Just checking, its been a while.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Fat Stupid Loser said:

He sucked at UCLA and sucked in Arizona.  Yeah Arizona was bad, so was he. Showing up for games in the PAC12 gets you a 500 record or better. What did he win his senior year? Or any other year? 7 games or something?  A true first pick in the draft, college QB talent, dominates in college. The guy from Marshall on the practice squad in KC was better than Rosen in college but he liked weed and himself too much to fuss with all that practice, so he'll never get off practice squad. First rounder for Rosen is a totally Redskins thing to do. Other than getting budget, non-factor other team cast offs to fill holes. That's the other Redskins thing to do.

Is Bruce still here?  Just checking, its been a while.

How did he suck in college? No one is saying give up a 1st for him, so how is giving up a 2nd or 3rd such a bad idea?

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sadly, if Rosen comes here wonder what he would inherit that is that much better.  Our O line is good when healthy but what are the odds of that versus playing a lot with the patchwork O line we've finished the last two years with?  I'd take Christian Kirk over any receiver we got.  Fitzgerald probably, too.

So if we acquire Rosen he's not going to be moving from a bad supporting cast to a good one -- he'd be going from one bad supporting cast to another.  Hopefully that changes after this draft.

Not saying you are saying anything otherwise.  I am just thinking about the supporting cast for both teams.   Right now if anything our receiving crop is weaker from last year and depth on O line is a little worse.    The Redskins have a lot more work to do to support any QB they acquire.

IMO, Skins need to draft 2 OL within their first 4 picks regardless of who our QB is.

• Like 2

Caught up with a Hoffman segment on Rosen.  In short:

A.  They are interested in Rosen

B.  They aren't interested in giving up a first rounder for him.  They think they can get a better player in the first round than Rosen.  So there is a limit to how they will go as for trade capital.

C. They don't want to give up 2 picks this year -- might be on with a pick this year and a pick next year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Did you see many open WR’s or TE’s in the clips of Rosen’s best or worst? I didn’t. You - literally- you could run around & be as open as the AZ WRs were last season. 

FB52A161-FE14-4B44-A306-00CED9CE6F0D.jpeg

1C7CCD17-AACD-4714-AFB6-3D619895233B.jpeg

1E294370-1854-4504-ABD4-FA09046C8BB9.jpeg

B50A4675-1E68-43A3-A796-0BE81456F077.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Caught up with a Hoffman segment on Rosen.  In short:

A.  They are interested in Rosen

B.  They aren't interested in giving up a first rounder for him.  They think they can get a better player in the first round than Rosen.  So there is a limit to how they will go as for trade capital.

C. They don't want to give up 2 picks this year -- might be on with a pick this year and a pick next year.

All checks out. These things are true & we are stupid.

35 minutes ago, bh32 said:

How did he suck in college? No one is saying give up a 1st for him, so how is giving up a 2nd or 3rd such a bad idea?

It won’t be long before we wonder why Washington didn’t give pick 15 for Rosen, what a time it will be. ESers across the globe will say it was obvious!

200w.gif

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It's a fair point about our OL and injuries, but even injured our OL ranked much better than Arizona's. After week 17 of last season PFF had our OL ranked 19th and Arizona's 32nd.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-2018-nfl-offensive-line-rankings-all-32-teams-units-after-week-17

They were abysmal. IIRC there was a stat posted here showing that something like 18 of Rosen's sacks came in less than 2.5 seconds. That's insane. 

As far as pass catchers I think it's difficult to compare. Our WR didn't have very good years but at the very least some of that is because Alex Smith simply didn't throw to them. Yes AZ had Fitz and Kirk but Fitz is old and far from the WR he once was and KIrk is talented and had an ok rookie year but he isn't a superstar or anything. Chad Williams does pretty much nothing and looks like a bust (though he was a 3rd rounder so it isn't like he was a super high pick). At TE they have nothing...Ricky Seals-Jones is a total JAG. 

Did we have stud WRs? No. But IMO our overall cast was better. We also have decent TEs. They just were't utlized. It may be worse this year though as we lose Crowder. Hopefully we can find a good WR or TE in the draft.

I'm not saying Rosen would be coming into an awesome situation but I certainly think he'll be coming into better one. Better supporting cast, and an offensive system that's been here for a while and is stable. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2