Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Starting QB 2019???

Renegade7

Who should be the starting QB in 2019???  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the starting QB in 2019???

• Alex Smith
    • Colt McCoy
    • Trade for a Veteran
    • Sign a Veteran
    • First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Non-First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Too Early to Answer
    • I don't know yet
    • We're screwed (at least at QB for 2019)

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Hes had the 3mil already, that's just a cap share on 2019. So Denver is taking a 10mil hit for him if they release him anyway. They foot the 7mil in that scenario.

i think 11mil for Keenum is good business in our screwed up situation. 

New team doesn't have to pay 18mil. Broncos either cut him, take the 7mil gtd through cap and get nothing in return, or the pay him that cash, and gets a day three pick in return... why wouldn't you trade him?

Yes... the new team DOES pay him 18M. That is his base salary.

Now, you are correct that it would behove the broncos to trade him as they would save the 7M in the guarteed salary... In fact, they should even consider throwing in a late pick to make it happen.

That still doesnt answer the question.... Why would any team pay Keenum on a 1/18M deal with 7M guaranteed?

The broncos cannot elect to pay that amount. Either they pay it when they cut him, or the new team pays hit.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2019-nfl-mock-draft-jets-trade-back-and-land-t-j-hockenson-dwayne-haskins-goes-to-giants/  

Mock trade with Jets

Kyler Murray, QB, Oklahoma
The Redskins are a team -- with a front office and coaching staff -- in dire need of an infusion of excitement. The Murray-Robert Griffin III comparisons would represent the low-hanging fruit here, but Murray is a more polished pocket passer than RG3 was, and he can work underneath routes in Jay Gruden's West Coast Offense. I think the Murray hype train goes full steam ahead after the combine.

8 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

Another year on and our 3rd round pick we get for Cousins could do the trick. 

HTTR 

I am not so sure on that price.  They love him there and the current plan is to keep him another 12 months as a very cheap and very capable insurance policy and then next year tag and trade him when the likelihood is he would still get them at least the 2nd rounder they have already been offered.  If anyone wants him this year the price is likely to be high and when all is said and done he is a good backup with upside, I am not sold on him as a long term starter.

14 minutes ago, mastdark_inc said:

Colt McCoy wouldn't even be an option I think we can't afford to pay a qb over 10mil per year, so with that said Ryan Fitzpatrick would be my backup and I'll draft a qb and start him.  Trevor Siemien/Josh McCown would be my 2nd option.  All 3 are better than Colt and Josh Johnson. 

In my opinion not 1 of the free agent QB available this off-season are going to get the Redskins into the play-offs, so why not just bite the bullet and get the cheapest available which is possibly Josh Johnson, then build up our offense via the draft LG, WR and TE then go 3-13 and get the best QB available with our top 3 pick in 2020. 

HTTR 

1 minute ago, markmills67 said:

In my opinion not 1 of the free agent QB available this off-season are going to get the Redskins into the play-offs, so why not just bite the bullet and get the cheapest available which is possibly Josh Johnson, then build up our offense via the draft LG, WR and TE then go 3-13 and get the best QB available with our top 3 pick in 2020. 

HTTR 

That makes all the sense in the world....

Problem is that Bruce and Jay know that they can't survive that.  They'll be fired.  Therefore they are going to do whatever they can to win as many games as they possibly can.  7-9 is 'close' according to Bruce.  He can sell that to Dan.  3-13 is not close, and at that point Dan's hand is likely forced. 

22 minutes ago, mastdark_inc said:

Colt McCoy wouldn't even be an option I think we can't afford to pay a qb over 10mil per year, so with that said Ryan Fitzpatrick would be my backup and I'll draft a qb and start him.  Trevor Siemien/Josh McCown would be my 2nd option.  All 3 are better than Colt and Josh Johnson. 

HTTR 

Hes had the 3mil already, that's just a cap share on 2019. So Denver is taking a 10mil hit for him if they release him anyway. They foot the 7mil in that scenario.

Interesting, so team’s pay full signing bonuses up front and only prorate the cap?  I did not not know that. 

i think 11mil for Keenum is good business in our screwed up situation. 

Yeah, that’s not a bad deal

New team doesn't have to pay 18mil. Broncos either cut him, take the 7mil gtd through cap and get nothing in return, or the pay him that cash, and gets a day three pick in return... why wouldn't you trade him?

Seemed like earlier you were saying “if we could get Denver to pay that 7 mil”, which raises my question(s).  Makes more sense to try to get something out of him, via trade, in that case, though maybe they suck it up and go with a qb competition this year - they’re all sorts of screwed up in terms of qb cap (like us) anyway.  

9 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Unless I misinterpreted him, he was just throwing names out there versus saying he heard any of them from Doug or a source

So basically his whole interview was useless and offered no information of substance at all.

I mean, literally anyone on this forum could have done that whole interview. Lol

3 hours ago, pcbothwel said:

Yes... the new team DOES pay him 18M. That is his base salary.

Now, you are correct that it would behove the broncos to trade him as they would save the 7M in the guarteed salary... In fact, they should even consider throwing in a late pick to make it happen.

That still doesnt answer the question.... Why would any team pay Keenum on a 1/18M deal with 7M guaranteed?

The broncos cannot elect to pay that amount. Either they pay it when they cut him, or the new team pays hit.

You can do anything you want with that contact if he's about to be traded or cut. I say Keenum is available on a one year 11 mil deal. They got Flacco to pay now. 

As for the Flacco stuff, if I recall that aligns with another beat guy saying the same, I think it was C. Russell but I might be misremembering, who said his sources were surprised by about the Flacco narrative and didn't know about it.  But I do think it probably was Bruce going rogue considering 5 different sources including Breer who is usually on the money said it was so.  If so, in Bruce's defense he might have just been kicking the tires and the Ravens played it up for trade leverage.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

As for the Flacco stuff, if I recall that aligns with another beat guy saying the same, I think it was C. Russell but I might be misremembering, who said his sources were surprised by about the Flacco narrative and didn't know about it.  But I do think it probably was Bruce going rogue considering 5 different sources including Breer who is usually on the money said it was so.  If so, in Bruce's defense he might have just been kicking the tires and the Ravens played it up for trade leverage.

Good stuff, SIP.  Curious as to who their eye is on QB in first w/o trading any picks.  We shall see.  Cheap vet, Johnson, maybe Taylor and others.

22 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

How do they keep picks but move up for Murray?

Don't think they can.  Rodgers fell to #24 in the 1st round, Russell Wilson was a 3rd round draft pick but Murray will go in the top 10 of the draft.  I stated in the tweet said they would like to keep their picks which means they aren't ruling out trading up but how much would it cost to trade up.  It starts with a 2020 1st round pick and goes from there

3 hours ago, RWJ said:

Don't think they can.  Rodgers fell to #24 in the 1st round, Russell Wilson was a 3rd round draft pick but Murray will go in the top 10 of the draft.  I stated in the tweet said they would like to keep their picks which means they aren't ruling out trading up but how much would it cost to trade up.  It starts with a 2020 1st round pick and goes from there

Well..like they say, if ya keep swinging for the fence you'll eventually ..wait we're talking about the skins...swing away skins!!

Archived