Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's stop pretending that the NFL isn't fixed (Josh Norman holding call)

normal_gymnasium

To say that the Redskins have not come up on the short end of the refs calls would be incorrect. For whatever the reason the refs give the Skins NO Respect, no equal playing field. Home cooking is one thing, but for Pete’s  sake, it’s like the opposing team can do whatever they want, while we have to be perfect to catch a break. Conspiracy or not it’s total bull****

3 hours ago, Burgold said:

At least four major ref questions this week.

* Once again, a hyperpicky free first down on a defensive holding goes in Dallas' favor

* Much more egregious hold which clearly impacts Harris' route and speed. Not called.

* Really obvious 1st quarter face mask which could not possibly have been missed by the refs. Uncalled.

*Really obvious helmet to helmet hit not possibly missed.. Uncalled.

These weren't the deciding calls in the game, but they sure were important game changers.

Edit: Last week, we got an apology from the refs apologizing that they stole the game from us. This week's apologies will ring just as hollow.

You know we got away with 2 non called face masks and plenty of holding that didn't get called as well right?  I agree with the other things you stated, but we get away with stuff that doesn't get called to.  

2 hours ago, TheGreek1973 said:

I said it on the prediction thread.  If the refs allow us to compete.  They didn't, simply put this league wants the cowboys on the postseason.  And if you say no way then we have had horrible refs now two games in a row.  What are the chances of that?

We have to take the good with the bad.  The refs helped us big time in the Packers, Bucs, and pretty much in the first Cowboys game.  We didn't lose because of the refs.

I can freely admit that when the team you root for is mediocre, or at least plays like it in some games, then yes, any missed call that hurts them is amplified, however, certain penalties are judgement calls, others are not.

A QB getting facemasked and his helmet being turned sideways is not a judgement call.

Jordan Reed taking helmet to helmet contact as a defenseless WR is not a judgement call.

I honestly just don't understand how those calls are not made.  

49 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I can freely admit that when the team you root for is mediocre, or at least plays like it in some games, then yes, any missed call that hurts them is amplified, however, certain penalties are judgement calls, others are not.

A QB getting facemasked and his helmet being turned sideways is not a judgement call.

Jordan Reed taking helmet to helmet contact as a defenseless WR is not a judgement call.

I honestly just don't understand how those calls are not made.  

Yep. It’s inexcusable.

my only guess is that the league or the refs are trying to make the nfc east interesting come December? 🤷🏻‍♂️ Who knows....

7 hours ago, NikeRedskin7 said:

We have to take the good with the bad.  The refs helped us big time in the Packers, Bucs, and pretty much in the first Cowboys game.  We didn't lose because of the refs.

Sorry dude when you have announcers saying man they missed this face mask on Colt, why is this not a holding call and the other was, that was a blatant hit on Reed that should have been a personal foul....this all from the announcers who are not "encouraged" by the league to talk about reffing.  What exactly did you see Moses do in the holding penalty?  What that more of a holding penalty or the one on Kerrigan when Dak hit Cooper for the 90 yard TD?  Last week the league said sorry it was a PI call on Doctson where we would have had a kick to win the game from the 25 yard line.  What exactly are you talking about we have been helped that is an entire game right there.  I think you are a closet non-Redskins fan and a troll that is what I think.

7 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Yep. It’s inexcusable.

my only guess is that the league or the refs are trying to make the nfc east interesting come December? 🤷🏻‍♂️ Who knows....

I agree here...this has ran through my mind several times... skins got the first win,.. and idk jerruh can suck a golf ball through a garden hose while backing up a Brink's truck to the officiating office to ensure his little cow****es will not lose to the Redskins on Thanksgiving? they come to an agreement to give the cowpukes the win on turkey day making for an exciting December..where we prevail into the playoffs and Colt plays Nick ****ing Foles and wins the Superbowl!..no?

12 hours ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

Santana Moss is right

About?

1 hour ago, TheGreek1973 said:

Sorry dude when you have announcers saying man they missed this face mask on Colt, why is this not a holding call and the other was, that was a blatant hit on Reed that should have been a personal foul....this all from the announcers who are not "encouraged" by the league to talk about reffing.  What exactly did you see Moses do in the holding penalty?  What that more of a holding penalty or the one on Kerrigan when Dak hit Cooper for the 90 yard TD?  Last week the league said sorry it was a PI call on Doctson where we would have had a kick to win the game from the 25 yard line.  What exactly are you talking about we have been helped that is an entire game right there.  I think you are a closet non-Redskins fan and a troll that is what I think.

The announcers were absolutely correct about those particular calls.  Sorry to burst your little bubble, but I'm not a "closet" anything, maybe you are a closet whatever in your life, but that's between you and the man upstairs.

Dont get mad at me because I'm not whiney like yourself out here shouting league conspiracy everytime things don't go our way.  I look at the production on the field.  Do the league throw ints, grab a defender by the jersey to the ground, or botch time of possession calling bad plays?  No!!  Last I checked, the guys in Redskins uniforms and coaches hats do.

I do apologize in advance if I'm not an excuse giver like yourself.  We got some bad calls against us, no doubt.  But like I said, we have benefited from bad calls against opponents as well, so the crying, moaning, and whining don't mean crap if it goes both ways.  You take the good with the bad.

Next time, express what you think about football, the lil name calling and troll accusations because I'm not an excuse giver like yourself is weak.

You kind of have to hope its fixed, because it if isnt, its some of the most pathetic attempt at professionalism among those who work.

You kind of dont want to say its fixed, but its one thing for a ref to miss a call, but another when ref calls one PI on a play where nothing happened, and then 3 plays later misses an easy same call going the other way.  That smells.

Also, the facemask on Colt McCoy was one of the easiest calls in the world to make, the only explanation for the non-call is corruption.  Plays like that just are unbelievable to me, hes the one guy every ref has their eyes trained to watch, hes the guy with the ball, and hes standing in the open with no ones vision blocked.

If you dont believe refs have been fixing games for years in sports, you are incredibly naive.  The reason that NBA ref got away with it for so long was because of the lack of accountability for refs, and the inability to criticize them.  Hes not the only one, hes just the one who eventually got caught, years later, when he messed up.  There is nothing in this world that involves billions of dollars where corrupt people arent manipulating things for their financial gain.

On 11/18/2018 at 4:28 PM, normal_gymnasium said:

A few years ago, I noticed a pattern. Illegal contact or defensive holding was very frequently called in very specific situations. Usually, it happened on third downs, when a team needed to be bailed out one way or the other. And more often than not, it happened late in games to give a team new life, usually to extend potential game winning drives.

I would really like to see statistics on defensive back penalties as regards to when they occur, to confirm what my eyes and gut feelings already tell me.

It's not just the Redskins either, in case this post is coming across like sour grapes from an overly-emotional fan after a loss. It has happened to plenty of teams. I watch a lot of football and I've noticed this happening on a good 20-25 occasions by my best estimation.

On nearly every occasion, when the replay is shown, the "penalty" is either one of two things:

• It's something that happens on nearly every single play but mysteriously only gets called in the most crucial, game-influencing situations, or;
  • As with the one called on Norman when the Redskins stopped the Texans on 3rd down, there simply is no penalty. There's nothing that occurs at all that even comes close to resembling a penalty. The announcers see the replay and say "Gee Jim, I don't know about that one" or something to that effect.

Now, I can only theorize – if this theory has any merit at all – why this happens, or how the “fix” is decided upon, or how it’s implemented. As I try to come up with such an explanation, I admit that I sound like some idiot wearing a tinfoil hat who that believes the earth is flat or that crisis actors exist.

My best explanation is that the league wants close, exciting games for ratings purposes, and the refs who “get it” know to call (and when to call) phantom illegal contact/defensive holding penalties to extend games.

Perhaps in other cases, there are “preferred” teams, i.e. teams that are deemed to have a bigger excitement factor, specifically a more marketable quarterback, which the league can exploit to hype late-season games with playoff implications (to say nothing of the playoffs themselves).

The refs who “get it” get the coveted playoff and Super Bowl assignments.

This has been an inkling I’ve had for some time now. I know I’m not the only one. The phantom call on Norman has changed this from a strong inkling to a virtually certain belief.

Anyone else think there is something to this? Or should I loosen the tinfoil hat a bit?

E N T E R T A I N M E N T.    The answer is yes.  OK, now what do we do?

ANYONE NOTICE A FEW GAMES BACK WHEN DOCTSON GOT PENALIZED FOR SPINNING BALL "ON THE SIDELINES" AFTER A CATCH?

WATCHING THE RAMS GAME LATER THAT NIGHT, RAMS WR'S DID THIS SEVERAL TIMES IN THE FIELD OF PLAY AFTER CATCHS AND GUESS WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR? YUP, THATS RIGHT,NEVER CAME. AT THIS POINT ID SAY THE '**** SHOW' IS PRETTY OBVIOUS.

It's fixed, because that makes more money.

The more teams that are more closely competing with each other, the more money they make.

If they had a lot of teams goin at each other with a huge disparity in won-loss records, they wouldn't make as much money.

Rules are written such that it's open to the official's "discretion" on how they interpret it.

You've heard people say "there's holding on every play, it's just not always called".

Now you know why.

If they call when they want to, they can control games.

14 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

It's fixed, because that makes more money.

The more teams that are more closely competing with each other, the more money they make.

If they had a lot of teams goin at each other with a huge disparity in won-loss records, they wouldn't make as much money.

Rules are written such that it's open to the official's "discretion" on how they interpret it.

You've heard people say "there's holding on every play, it's just not always called".

Now you know why.

If they call when they want to, they can control games.

Sometimes I wonder if people forget the fact that at the end of the day, all the NFL and owners actually care about is the bottom line.  They're not emotionally invested in it the same way we are, so the idea that they're going to make decisions based on morals is incorrect.  'Do the right thing' is not in their priority list... their focus is that it's a business, so the most lucrative path is the one they're drawn to.  

I don't necessarily know that Refs go into the game and on a play by play basis make decisions with the idea that a particular outcome is pre-determined, but I absolutely think that there's a pause or hesitation to pull a flag on a big, high flying play that could show up on sportcenter later that night because that's what the fans want.  Look no further than local DC sports fans... people were complaining that we were 6-3 because the games weren't entertaining enough.  I'd bet you money that more Redskins fans had fun watching KC Chiefs vs LA Rams, than they did watching us beat the Giants in an absolutely ugly game.  

Archived