Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thanksgiving Menu

AsburySkinsFan

Ok, I just learned today that I’m going to be hosting and cooking a big Thanksgiving meal this year, and I am absolutely determined to not cook a bland tan and white meal, so I’m looking for your Thanksgiving meal menus for inspiration.

What do you enjoy?

What’s on your menu?

What do you do to mix things up?

(I’d post this in the cooking thread but I’m looking for broader engagement, so if you know anyone in the Stadium who cooks well, please tag them!!)

21 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

If you want something a little different you could smoke or fry the turkey

Oyster dressing in addition to regular stuffing

My mom makes this eggplant dish with ham if interested I could try to get recipe

I’m really thinking about frying the bird this year. Any recommendations on a good fryer set-up? I’ve seen pretty wild price dispairity.

35 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

I’m really thinking about frying the bird this year. Any recommendations on a good fryer set-up? I’ve seen pretty wild price dispairity.

I used the Butterball XL and it did the trick   Its an indoor electric:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Butterball-Masterbuilt-XL-Electric-Fryer-MB23012418/305743437?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal2_rr-_-302848344-_-305743437-_-N

If you fry, it only works for a smaller bird (< 14 lbs or so)   It won't work for a 20 pound bird.   If you need more turkey, fry two birds.   You should be able to use the same fryer as it only takes about 45 minutes

Going to my daughter's house for the first time in years. She informed me that the only two dishes of real importance to her are the gravy and stuffing she makes. Dinner is really a vehicle for the gravy.

I am making my mom's pumpkin pie recipe though without any crust, so basically pumpkin custard pudding.

My mom used to make oyster casserole with oyster crackers crushed on top, which was pretty good. It's tan/white food but tasty. Basically scalloped potatoes with oysters blended in.

2 hours ago, DCSaints_fan said:

I used the Butterball XL and it did the trick   Its an indoor electric:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Butterball-Masterbuilt-XL-Electric-Fryer-MB23012418/305743437?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal2_rr-_-302848344-_-305743437-_-N

If you fry, it only works for a smaller bird (< 14 lbs or so)   It won't work for a 20 pound bird.   If you need more turkey, fry two birds.   You should be able to use the same fryer as it only takes about 45 minutes

How big is that thing?????

We are going simple/classic this year. Nothing you wouldn't typically find anywhere else.

Turkey

Stuffing

String bean casserole

Mashed Potatoes

Sweet Potato casserole (I do a bourbon-brown sugar version)

Some type of dinner rolls

Mac & Cheese (being made by brother and law's gf....so good.)

Cranberry sauce

Lots of Gravy

Appetizers: Deviled Eggs & Cheese & Cracker assembly.

Pumpkin Pie(s) & Sweet Potato pie(s) for dessert, as well as whatever else is brought by others.

I am definitely buying a bigger bird this year, as last year I managed to make a turkey that was just so delicious. Nothing exotic, but it ended up very juicy & tender, but I under bought as far as size went so there was way less leftovers of it then I had imagined there would be. 

26 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

How big is that thing?????

I want to say about 30 inches per side... there is a smaller one that should work if you're doing a smaller bird.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Butterball-Electric-Fryer-MB23010118/302848344?cm_mmc=Shopping|G|Base|D28I|28-22_BBQ+GRILL|NA|PLA|General|Fixed|71700000041074675|58700004389677021|92700036927063678&amp;gclid=CjwKCAiAuMTfBRAcEiwAV4SDkePl-ojU3opbDG5aywWG0GpPHV2Fduc4M_-A0Veiy08jaHzvNXnpXxoCkAkQAvD_BwE&amp;gclsrc=aw.ds

16 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I am definitely buying a bigger bird this year, as last year I managed to make a turkey that was just so delicious. Nothing exotic, but it ended up very juicy & tender, but I under bought as far as size went so there was way less leftovers of it then I had imagined there would be. 

The problem with the bigger birds is they are more difficult to get juicy and tender ?

I'm sure you would do this anyway, but read some safety tips if you do deep fry it. We did it a couple years back. I remember doing a simple brine for one day, drying it out really well (because you can't have water in the bird when you put it in the fryer), and injecting a marinade before cooking it. We burned the skin pretty good because the oil got a little hot. It was the ugliest, yet most delicious Thanksgiving turkey I ever had. It required constant monitoring though. 

As far as frying a turkey PM Pez.  He’s so busy this time of year he might not see this post. He cooks multiple large turkeys at the tailgate every year. I don’t know anyone that has fried more birds than him. He can point you toward good hardware and give you cooking tips. For bonus points deep fry hammered. We had to take the lifter away from him one year.  I believed that was the Weekend at Bernie’s tailgate. 

At my aunt's house this year. We usually have 20-30 people so my uncle fries one turkey and my mom roasts another. That way we feed everybody and get the best of both worlds: fried turkey and a real gravy made with pan drippings. 

The rest of the table will look a lot like @NoCalMike's list. I'll bring some beer most likely since there are few people in the family I trust to get something great. (Mostly wine drinkers.) Normally I'd cook, but not this year. 

3 minutes ago, HOF44 said:

As far as frying a turkey PM Pez.  He’s so busy this time of year he might not see this post. He cooks multiple large turkeys at the tailgate every year. I don’t know anyone that has fried more birds than him. He can point you toward good hardware and give you cooking tips. For bonus points deep fry hammered. We had to take the lifter away from him one year.  I believed that was the Weekend at Bernie’s tailgate. 

Wet blanket alert:

I know HOF wasn't serious, but definitely don't deep fry a turkey hammered. Every year some people injure themselves or start serious fires, and you don't want to be one of them. 

1 hour ago, SoulSkin said:

I'm sure you would do this anyway, but read some safety tips if you do deep fry it. We did it a couple years back. I remember doing a simple brine for one day, drying it out really well (because you can't have water in the bird when you put it in the fryer), and injecting a marinade before cooking it. We burned the skin pretty good because the oil got a little hot. It was the ugliest, yet most delicious Thanksgiving turkey I ever had. It required constant monitoring though. 

The one year I did a deep fried turkey it turned out great, but for some reason leftover turkey didn't age as well as it does when I cook it the traditional way.  Had no idea why.  

2 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

The one year I did a deep fried turkey it turned out great, but for some reason leftover turkey didn't age as well as it does when I cook it the traditional way.  Had no idea why.  

I think it was the same for us, but we didn't have a lot of leftovers because we cooked a small bird,

On 11/18/2018 at 8:38 PM, NoCalMike said:

It never does. That's one of the reasons that I don't fry the bird anymore. The leftovers aren't as good and the mess isn't worth it to me.

I'm going to grill the bird, and smoke a ham.  We'll have all of the traditional sides.

It'll be cold, so the bourbon and stouts will be flowing..

Archived