Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

An assault on American voters is underway

No Excuses

3 hours ago, Kilmer17 said:

In Massachussettes, GOP candidates received appx 1/3 of the votes for Congressional seats.  

They have ZERO reps in Congress.

Is that okay?

This feels a little misrepresented, but I get why you would ask that.  I looked into it, 4 of the 9 House seats Dems ran unopposed.  The Governor went to GOP who won every county in the state.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/election-results/massachusetts/?utm_term=.954aa4cfc2f2

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Kilmer17 said:

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/11/07/federal-judges-toss-maryland-congressional-map-for-partisan-gerrymandering-973245

The judges unanimously ordered Maryland to redraw two of its House districts before the 2020 election, saying Democratic leaders improperly broke up a Republican-leaning seat in Western Maryland when they crafted the map after the 2010 Census.

As for it being racially motivated, you should read the book "rat ****ed" it explains in great detail how the Congressional Black Caucus is complicit in the drawing of many maps, especially in the south.  So while it is racially motivated, it's not with racial animosity.  In fact, the "gerrymandering" has benefitted black candidates tremendously.

This is an intentionally misleading argument.  By drawing maps to minimize representation by the opposing party, Republicans drew them to get as many Democrat votes as possible into the least number of districts.  This tends to make the seats that are intended to be the few "Democrat" districts entirely composed of urban areas (where black people tend to live in higher proportions, thus benefiting black candidates), but ultimately harms black and all Democratic interests by dramatically suppressing their representation.  

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Like 2

I want to see automatic voter registration when 18 or when one moves to the state. You are never disenrolled unless you actively seek it or convicted of a felony and in jail.

All ballots should be mailed to the voter and returned to be counted. Like Oregon, there's three weeks between mailing and voting day. 

We don't hear any voter supression crap from the states that handle voting this way.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

I want to see automatic voter registration when 18 or when one moves to the state. You are never disenrolled unless you actively seek it or convicted of a felony and in jail.

Yep. I think the moment you sign up for Selective Service, which every adult must do at 18, that should count as registering to vote. That registration should be honored in a national database and be honored in every state. If they wanted to... they could even throw in a National ID at the same time. 

You sign up for Selective Service, register to vote, and get a free plastic National ID card all at the same time. Sounds pretty good to me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Burgold said:

Yep. I think the moment you sign up for Selective Service, which every adult must do at 18, that should count as registering to vote. That registration should be honored in a national database and be honored in every state. If they wanted to... they could even throw in a National ID at the same time. 

You sign up for Selective Service, register to vote, and get a free plastic National ID card all at the same time. Sounds pretty good to me.

Only men have to sign up for that.  Are you suggesting women should have to sign up for selective service also?  (A position I'd probably agree with.)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Only men have to sign up for that.  Are you suggesting women should have to sign up for selective service also?  (A position I'd probably agree with.)

I always forget that :)

But yeah, I think nowadays, probably every adult citizen should sign up.

2 hours ago, LD0506 said:

The root of the problem is that neither party REALLY wants to fix this, they both like using it to their own ends.

This may be true to a degree, but it seems that the core of the Democratic Party seems to be about pumping up the vote and getting everyone out to vote whereas the Republican agenda seems to be about stopping people from voting. Can you remember the last democratic state law passed designed to disenfranchise/taking the vote away from 10's of thousands (or more) voters?

The practice of removing masses of voters from the rolls is SOP in so many red states these days. Democrats want everyone to vote, figuring they'll get the numbers. Republicans want to limit the vote, figuring they lose in any honest and representative contest.

Edited by Burgold
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

........ You are never disenrolled unless you actively seek it or convicted of a felony and in jail.......

Wow I'd have choice of 8 states to vote in with this proposal.

Edited by nonniey
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, nonniey said:

Really? Why wouldn't the state of your primary residence still be the deciding factor? Several of the Trump family and administration are actively enrolled in multiple States. Are they voting in multiple States too?

• Like 1

What the GOP is doing is attempting to (and successfully with their base at least) trying to take one issue and turn it into something entirely different. 

The issue: Some counties (across multiple states) have outdated and inexcusably bad systems for counting votes in a timely manner.

No one, on either side of the aisle would argue with that statement.  

However, that issue is being morphed into claims that counting all the votes is somehow "stealing an election"

The bigger issue to me is that this keeps happening in the same counties over and over, which means there has to be some kind of coordinated effort behind the scenes to not fix the issues.  Not sure how high up it goes, but there is no logical reason not to address these kinds of issues after it happens ONE TIME, let alone multiple election cycles. 

For 2018, the solution should be to take action in a way that penalizing election officials, but not the voter themselves. You can't punish voters who did nothing wrong, and to suggest that counting their votes amounts to stealing something is asinine, as is throwing out accusations of fraud with zero evidence and/or basis in reality. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Really? Why wouldn't the state of your primary residence still be the deciding factor? Several of the Trump family and administration are actively enrolled in multiple States. Are they voting in multiple States too?

Don't know if they are but they'd have the option to choose the state to vote in (and could likely successfully defend themselves legally as long as they voted in only one of them).  There are valid reasons States are mandated keep their registrations as accurate as possible. 

Edited by nonniey

6 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I'd say yes.  Every position in military is open to women now, right?  Sounds like equality to me.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

All ballots should be mailed to the voter and returned to be counted. Like Oregon, there's three weeks between mailing and voting day. 

We don't hear any voter supression crap from the states that handle voting this way.

I can't agree with an opt out or leaving out felons.  Once they are out the system, it will be pulling teeth to get them back in.  I'd need to think about people in jail voting, like really think about it.

3 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

There may still be a few jobs that are not open to them.  I honestly don't know.  

https://dod.defense.gov/News/Article/Article/632536/carter-opens-all-military-occupations-positions-to-women/

I think the submarine thing is not resolved yet, but I'd need to look into it

1 hour ago, nonniey said:

Like now, it's up to us to disenroll if moving.

For example, I disenrolled in Virginia in March before I moved to Texas in June.

But you know that. Plus, we are supposed to disenroll when moving. Since you haven't, then your registration should be purged in every state according to Republican policy, because how do the states know in which state you actually reside?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

All these issues with counting votes is simply chickens coming home to roost.  Republicans actively look for ways to suppress the vote or cut funding to specific counties in order to create these messes, then after the election are appalled when all these issues play out and claim something is being taken from them when election officials are simply trying to make sure everything is counted accurately. 

Their answer to these things is never to investigate what caused the problem in the first place, it is simply to stop counting votes, every single time.

Hispanics and Asians together make up the majority in Orange County now and the white conservative stronghold really had to end sometime.

Nothing in California should be a surprise to anyone in the GOP.  When you tie yourself to an unpopular leader, you lose. Badly.

Edited by The Evil Genius

• Jumbo changed the title to An assault on American voters is underway