Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

An assault on American voters is underway

No Excuses

To The GOP is making up claims of electoral fraud to undermine the trust of the public in our electoral process. 

Happening in FL and AZ for the past few days, and now it seems Nevada GOP is denying results that pretty much swept them out of power at every level of government in the state.

As the GOP reaps the electoral results of their bargain with Trump, expect this to worsen.

Edited by No Excuses

I might argue that there has been pushback against the foundational values of the country since its inception. We have been trained to believe in the great myths of Americaness, but have we ever truly lived up to those ideals? Yeah, maybe when it serves our ends or when its easy, but when it is costly we tend to paper it over and just realpolitik the **** outta things.

Now, don't take this as some criticism of 'Murica, I love this country and I believe that even aspiring to better is an amazing attribute but we are so capable of doing it well, of genuinely living up to all those lofty words and ideals. 

And if you want to be crass, it would just be smart business.

• Like 2

Parties and politicians have been calling elections suspect or fraud for decades if not centuries.  

There are still people who believe the Democrats stole the 1960 election outright.  Or GOPers who say that about Al Franken.  Or Dems about Gore/Bush, or GOP about 89 VA Governor race.

That's not even talking about the assault both parties fuel even they are accepting the result.  Talking about popular vote like it matters, or how a few thousand votes would change things all call into question the legitimacy of our system.

What's happening now in Florida is not only typical and expected, I would argue it STRENGTHENS our Democracy.  Because when the new Governor takes the oath, and the new (or same) Senator is seated, the losing side isnt going to take up arms and attack.  They'll **** about it on the internet.

• Like 1

You each have some rule 5 and 12 issues in posts here. As has been the case before, more than once, you each get a pass this time.

I am doing this instead. 

You two are moving closer to being the next chipwhich and jms (and not in the arguing with each other sense).  I'd hate for that to happen.

Over the years we certainly have had more than one long time, regular, interesting poster that also presented frequent issues, but were kept viable by moderator decisions and assistance because there was sufficient positive offset for the community/forum---until there wasn't. 

Be advised that moving forward you really best avoid anything even resembling rule 3, 12, or 5 violations in your posts. 

And I want to be specific on just a couple of items. The first because it's a bit obscure---twa, the next time you use a laffy face as a troll on the like a post options---which is what you've been doing---you'll get a 30 day ban. The second---benning, the next time you label any other poster in any derogatory way it's the same---you've forfeited the privilege to deride your fellows here due to abuse, even after warnings. 

Also on the table, just fyi, are restricting a member's posting to the stadium for a period of time. Imagine the horror. :evil:

Thank you for what I know will be enthused and appreciative cooperation on your ends. 

481.jpg

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

What's happening now in Florida is not only typical and expected, I would argue it STRENGTHENS our Democracy.  Because when the new Governor takes the oath, and the new (or same) Senator is seated, the losing side isnt going to take up arms and attack.  They'll **** about it on the internet.

This is very naive. Still thinking like this in a world where people are shooting up pizza places and sending bombs to political enemies.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cooked Crack said:

This is very naive. Still thinking like this in a world where people are shooting up pizza places and sending bombs to political enemies.

As opposed to the times when opposing politicians killed each other or beat each other to a pulp on the floor of the Senate?    I'm not trying to dismiss the divisiveness or anger in America now.  But perspective is needed.  Our democracy is not "under assault" as the OP claims, any more than it always has been.  Close elections heighten anxiety.  But dont mistake that for a breakdown of democracy.  IMO, that's happening more in places where the same politicians are elected every time by massive margins.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

The GoP has been desperately gaslighting the country.  Their voters don't seem to realize that they're the ones getting it worst.

Glorious day in American history when they start to put two and two together, dems should beat this to death.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

As opposed to the times when opposing politicians killed each other or beat each other to a pulp on the floor of the Senate?    I'm not trying to dismiss the divisiveness or anger in America now.  But perspective is needed.  Our democracy is not "under assault" as the OP claims, any more than it always has been.  Close elections heighten anxiety.  But dont mistake that for a breakdown of democracy.  IMO, that's happening more in places where the same politicians are elected every time by massive margins.

I would say our democracy is very much under assault. Kemp’s brazen suppression efforts, more and more outrageous acts of gerrymandering, ridiculously obvious attempts to throw away votes or deny entire precincts from having their votes recounted. Etc. etc. etc. 

34 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I would say our democracy is very much under assault. Kemp’s brazen suppression efforts, more and more outrageous acts of gerrymandering, ridiculously obvious attempts to throw away votes or deny entire precincts from having their votes recounted. Etc. etc. etc. 

I think constant claims that the GOP wins because of gerrymandering damages our democracy.

• Like 1

Donald Trump is - to the horror of the world - President of the United States.  So for better or worse his words carry the weight of that office.  More so than some dime store right wing conspiracy-peddling blogger.  When dip**** bloggers declare fraud, criminal acts, or cheating in elections, we can ignore the noise.  But the President has a greater responsibility not to falsely accuse.

BTW, it's an indication of how low we've sunk that there's even a need to post something so obvious.  But here we are. A man with no regard for the truth holds the highest office in the land.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Calling into question the legitimacy of elections, without evidence, is on the short list of worst things Trump has done.  

It's straight from the playbook of fascists.  Like his other obvious lies, it's a call to tribal loyalty rather than loyalty to the truth or to the principles of the country.  Now you see other Republicans doing it too, reinforcing his brand of fascism.  His leadership style and political vision have spread.  He's remade the GoP in his image.

• Like 2