Chew

**The Official 2018-2019 Winter Weather Thread**

22?! That's t-shirt weather.

Sawft ass mid-Atlantic and Georgians.  :P

• Haha 1

And no fair, @Chew...you're playing with my nephew...

2 minutes ago, Chew said:

22?! That's t-shirt weather.

Sawft ass mid-Atlantic and Georgians.  :P

You look more like a peach than I do. 

(Aw, snap!) 💖

Screenshot_20181031-164259_Chrome.jpg

• Haha 1

Totally psychedelic man!

What will the Great Lakes polar vortex invasion mean for Washington next week?

A powerful, perhaps record-challenging blast of arctic air will crash toward the Great Lakes early next week. A substantial lobe of the polar vortex, the zone of frigid air near the North Pole, is breaking loose. Temperatures in places such as Minneapolis and Chicago may drop to dangerously cold levels, some 40 to 50 degrees below normal.

The Mid-Atlantic will lie along the periphery of this punishing polar surge, close enough that temperatures may rival the coldest of the winter by Wednesday or Thursday. If the piece of the polar vortex pushes far enough southeast, it might mean the coldest weather in years — but this is less probable.

4JNBHMOK7BGXFB6DWFIUCDH2TM.gif

Click on the link for the full article

A lot of specifics still up in the air but it could be a messy commute tomorrow afternoon.

Here in Minnesota the wind chill on Wednesday is supposed to reach -60.   The high (HIGH) is gonna be -18.   Should be a fun walk in to work...

• Sad 2

29 minutes ago, bcl05 said:

Here in Minnesota the wind chill on Wednesday is supposed to reach -60.   The high (HIGH) is gonna be -18.   Should be a fun walk in to work...

Ouch. :o

1 hour ago, bcl05 said:

They went through the stages of frostbite and hypothermia today on TWC...please bundle up accordingly. 15 minutes max exposed, but you know that. 😉

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dfitzo53 said:

A lot of specifics still up in the air but it could be a messy commute tomorrow afternoon.

Tomorrow I am going to regret the federal government all being back. 

3 hours ago, skinsmarydu said:

They went through the stages of frostbite and hypothermia today on TWC...please bundle up accordingly. 15 minutes max exposed, but you know that. 😉

I live in MN and walk about a mile to work all winter...  My parka is worth more than my car, and can keep me warm in ANY weather.  It is really a marvel of engineering.  The same model is used by workers on arctic oil rigs.   I love it.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bcl05 said:

I live in MN and walk about a mile to work all winter...  My parka is worth more than my car, and can keep me warm in ANY weather.  It is really a marvel of engineering.  The same model is used by workers on arctic oil rigs.   I love it.  

red canada goose parka?

Edited by haithman

13 hours ago, haithman said:

red canada goose parka?

Not red, but their Expedition Parka.  I've spent hours outside in -35 and lower, and its never let me down.  I only wear it when it is 5 degrees or cooler, or its just too warm.  

I had a pleasant walk into work this morning with a wind chill of -25.  tomorrow it's supposed to be much, much colder.  

Snow is supposed to hit in the evening. Gonna try to leave work early to avoid the traffic disaster.

34 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Snow is supposed to hit in the evening. Gonna try to leave work early to avoid the traffic disaster.

most schools and the government are releasing 2 hours early...keep that in mind also. basically the traffic disaster might just all be shifted 2 hours earlier than normal. 

Wind chill currently -36 here.  And its only going to get colder for the next 24 hours.  Expecting -70 tomorrow morning.  That will be a new personal low wind chill for me... 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I just took the dogs out for their morning potty break.  Wind chill -59 right now.  Both dogs (big fluffy bernedoodles who love cold and snow) looked at me like "you have got to be kidding me."  Fastest peeing ever.

• Haha 6

4 hours ago, bcl05 said:

I just took the dogs out for their morning potty break.  Wind chill -59 right now.  Both dogs (big fluffy bernedoodles who love cold and snow) looked at me like "you have got to be kidding me."  Fastest peeing ever.

Currently at -18 with the wind chill at -49. Lake Michigan looks crazy. Supposed to be in the 40s this weekend and rainy.

More 'frost quakes' being reported in Pennsylvania

DILLSBURG, Pa. (WHP) - A phenomenon caused by bitter cold and extra moisture from frost has now been reported in Pennsylvania. Local Geologist Jeri Jones is calling it a “frost quake."

Michelle Tebbetts was crocheting a blanket when she was startled by a big bang.

“It sounded like a big piece of furniture fell over... and I’m thinking: what did the cats knock over that was that big and that loud?" said Tebbetts.

After Tebbetts, who lives in Dillsburg, checked the whole house and found nothing out of place, she reported the activity to York College Professor and Geologist Jeri Jones.

“I said well maybe it was an earthquake, so I got a hold of Jeri Jones and he said he’s gotten a bunch of calls from people. He said you are having a frost quake," said Tebbetts.

Up until 2009, frost quakes were only felt in 12 other states and into Canada, according to Jones.

“These frost quakes are a situation where the ground is not frozen totally, but it’s over-saturated and sub-freezing temperatures begin. The ground and water will freeze and expand and it actually puts out a little explosion and people hear this booms,” said Jones.

Now, more and more people are reporting frost quakes in Pennsylvania.

“These frost quakes, they sound more like a boom or a bang and then we get a little shake in the house,” said Steven Tebbetts.

Click on the link for the full article

Our kitchen windows covered with ice.  On the inside.  The moisture in the air from doing dishes hit the windows and froze immediately.  

7BBA80E6-1BD4-4069-B93F-F03C2770A25A.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

a graphic representation of berries  getting sucked up into armpits upon contact with  polar vortex air.   Twig... nowhere to be seen.    

be careful out there.

• Haha 1