Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Redskins vs. Bucs

KDawg

15 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

The turnovers were great plays, but relying on turnovers is a risky bet. We only forced one Tampa punt, that should be concerning. We could not get off the field at all on 3rd downs.

Not relying on TOs as much as for them to make a mistake - incomplete passes, predictable play call and stopped, sack. It just turned out to be TOs this time. It kept them from a few FGs. 

On 11/12/2018 at 10:02 AM, Califan007 said:

By the way, was I the only one who, after the Skins were up 3-0, immediately said "Ok, cool...we just won the game" lol...

Haha... when the announcer said we dont relinquish leads.. I looked tover at my dad and brother and said.  "well I guess we just won"

1 hour ago, Morneblade said:

So, you pick one stat that has a 2 year trend to debunk 20+ years of bad teams?

Really?

No. Actually, I read your post. Saw the 1 stat you referenced as occurring purely by luck/abnormal. And told you that you were wrong. The team has been very good at your "abnormal" play for the past 4 years.

In such a year-to-year, even week-to-week league a 4 year trend is actually very telling.

If you want to continue to snack on your member berries and dwell on your heartbreak from 20 years ago, that's fine. But when you make mischaracterizations about this team, and it's fairly blatant, I may comment if I have a free moment.

43 minutes ago, Tay said:

No. Actually, I read your post. Saw the 1 stat you referenced as occurring purely by luck/abnormal. And told you that you were wrong. The team has been very good at your "abnormal" play for the past 4 years.

In such a year-to-year, even week-to-week league a 4 year trend is actually very telling.

If you want to continue to snack on your member berries and dwell on your heartbreak from 20 years ago, that's fine. But when you make mischaracterizations about this team, and it's fairly blatant, I may comment if I have a free moment.

Then you got a lot of things wrong in reading my post.

First, 2.5 years is not four.

Second, Fumbles are not all turnovers.

Third, turnovers are not all big plays.

Fourth, a couple years at doing one thing decently does not make up for everything else over 20+ years, or everything else the team is currently doing poorly. Not to mentions we've seen stuff like this collapse in the past.

Fifth, show me where I "blatantly mischaraterized the team".

3 hours ago, Morneblade said:

Because it happens rarely here, that's why.

And that is to be expected, because for 20+ years, we've sucked.

And the reason we've sucked is because we have not made plays very often. It stands to reason. So, when all of a sudden we much a punch of plays in one game, yeah....................it's very abnormal.

Since 2010, the Skins are ranked 6th in most games with a defensive takeaway.

Since 2010, the Skins are ranked 6th in most games with at least 2 defensive takeaways.

Rarely happens lol...Even this year we've already had 6 games out of 9 with multiple takeaways. So how surprising and/or "lucky" was the Bucs game, really?

Of course, I didn't go back to 1998 and see how the Redskins were doing back then...maybe that's what is warping fan perception.

Plus, I somehow doubt that when Skins fans say "I wish our DBs could do that," that they already know whether or not the other team ranks ahead of or behind the Redskins in number of games creating turnovers.

7 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Then you got a lot of things wrong in reading my post.

First, 2.5 years is not four.

Second, Fumbles are not all turnovers.

Third, turnovers are not all big plays.

Fourth, a couple years at doing one thing decently does not make up for everything else over 20+ years, or everything else the team is currently doing poorly. Not to mentions we've seen stuff like this collapse in the past.

Fifth, show me where I "blatantly mischaraterized the team".

First, lets count 2015 (1), 2016 (2), 2017 (3), 2018 (4).... if you want to be specific 2018 (3.5625)

You are right when you said I misread your post. When I read "a punch of plays" I assumed you were referencing forced fumbles where we punch the ball out.

3rd - 5th see @Califan007 post above. The recent history is correct for both fumbles and turnovers.

14 minutes ago, Tay said:

First, lets count 2015 (1), 2016 (2), 2017 (3), 2018 (4).... if you want to be specific 2018 (3.5625)

You are right when you said I misread your post. When I read "a punch of plays" I assumed you were referencing forced fumbles where we punch the ball out.

3rd - 5th see @Califan007 post above. The recent history is correct for both fumbles and turnovers.

I'll add, that I was referring to both sides of the ball. But nice stats by Cali.

I was definitely nervous.

But I'm nervous every game. I thought it would go our way, but I was definitely nervous.

I'd much rather be nervous and 6-3 though.

Having said that, I don't think we've arrived. I hope the team continues to improve, but I'm happy with the results thus far.

On 11/12/2018 at 8:02 AM, Reaper Skins said:

- Was pleasantly surprised by the o-line play

- Think we need to get Bibbs more involved in the offense to avoid ending AP's season early

- Everyone was ready to write off Stroman a few weeks ago, this week he makes a huge play.  Don't do the same thing with Danny Johnson.  He's an undrafted rookie whose been playing through a broken arm.  Far from a finished product.

- Tress Way should go to the Pro Bowl

THIS.... Tress is killing it.

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I’m curious how many folks felt the way they are talking now while watching the game.  Honest question, were you banking on all the turnovers or really nervous watching them move the ball so easily?  

With all due respect that's a silly question :cheers:   I am nervous on every play of every game even if we are up 21 pts (rarely happens). I start being nervous from the kickoff and it doesn't stop until the final whistle. 

9 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

With all due respect that's a silly question :cheers:   I am nervous on every play of every game even if we are up 21 pts (rarely happens). I start being nervous from the kickoff and it doesn't stop until the final whistle. 

I get that.

Guess I should have said, what was the gut feeling? 

I’m not going to crap on the defense, but they were worrisome big time for me on Sunday.  Of all the close ones this season, this one felt scarier than most.  I wasn’t feeling confident that the bend but don’t break strategy was going to work out.  Perhaps others were.

Like someone else in another thread was saying, it was just a miserable watch.  Yeah, I get that after all was said and done, it’s a W.  Still left a lot to be desired.

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I get that.

I’m not going to crap on the defense, but they were worrisome big time for me on Sunday.  Of all the close ones this season, this one felt scarier than most.  I wasn’t feeling confident that the bend but don’t break strategy was going to work out.  Perhaps others were.

Like someone else in another thread was saying, it was just a miserable watch.  Yeah, I get that after all was said and done, it’s a W.  Still left a lot to be desired.

Mine was more a joke answer - I get what you are saying. Of course I was thinking each time they came down that this was the time they get in. But still, it was the approach. Let them get there slowly and they will self implode. You could see it. 

But hey, they kept in there and kept making plays. That's all you can ask. We got the W. 

Glad to be 6-3. Is it sustainable? Who knows. Houston is the toughest team left on the schedule - and honestly it's not even close. They have quietly been dispatching of people. But their 0-3 start is keeping from people believing. The next best team left in TN. They are doing the same - just getting better each week. Rest are all beatable. 

Time will tell. Hope they play well this weekend. 

5 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

The turnovers were great plays, but relying on turnovers is a risky bet. We only forced one Tampa punt, that should be concerning. We could not get off the field at all on 3rd downs.

In fairness we ended 4 drives with turnovers which is preferable to a punt obviously.

13 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I get that.

In all honesty...

I'm more nervous when the offense is on the field than I am the defense.

But not in a "man, we're gonna turn it over and give the other team field position" kind of way. More of a "how are we going to go backwards on this drive, or go three and out?"

Archived