Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Redskins vs. Bucs

KDawg

Holding a team to 3 pts. for the game, when they had over 500 yds. of offense and punted only once, has to be some kind of record. The D made the plays when they had to & again Smith made just enough plays when he had to- although missing that throw in the 4th quarter to a wide open Davis for an easy TD that would've iced the game was inexcusable. 

That game for us was like a baseball game where one team keeps allowing the opposing team to load the bases inning after inning, but keeps getting out of the inning without giving up any runs. Obviously, we're going to have to play much better on both sides of the ball if we want to win the division and get a good playoff position, as winning like we did yesterday is not sustainable, in my opinion.

But hey, we got the job done, are 6-3 and have a two game division lead in mid November. How can any of us be mad at that?

3rd and 9.. 6-3 leading score.. 3rd quarter and 2:29 left. 

2nd and 7.. same score.. same quarter.. and 1:13 left.

2nd and 14.. same score.. start of 4th quarter.. 15 minutes left.

3rd and 5.. same score.. next play. TD strike to Doc. 

This was the drive that brought home some of that yummy bacon. 

" oh, but Smith only hands the ball off.. and doesn't turn it over. " 

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

-Agreed. I was on the Bibbs bandwagon last season/preseason. As were several others. Dude should have been on this team from the jump. Hopefully the Skins don't make a big mistake next season and they keep him around.

Which is why I don't understand the coaching staff bringing Byron Marshall back from IR instead of Cam Sims.  Sims flashed some really intriguing ball skills during preseason; Byron Marshall is just another guy - Bibbs has been doing very well in CT's stead.

6 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

Which is why I don't understand the coaching staff bringing Byron Marshall back from IR instead of Cam Sims.  Sims flashed some really intriguing ball skills during preseason; Byron Marshall is just another guy - Bibbs has been doing very well in CT's stead.

Depth?  It’s fairly obvious that CT isn’t gonna give us much this year.

Just some random thoughts in no particular order 

Great job by the new guys on the Oline, considering the circumstances they played a great game

Doctson played very well yesterday, He's still in my dog house only because he was a first round pick and I'm holding him to a higher standard. But he was good yesterday

Josh Norman was the difference maker, Had Tampa scored on that first drive I think the defense would have gotten down on themselves early and the game could have gotten ugly. Instead Josh comes up with the pick and skins take a early 3-0 lead, Defense bends all game but comes up HUGE when it counts.

With the exception of the Doctson TD and the 2 minute drive before halftime Alex Smith was mediocre to bad IMO.With that said he didnt turn the ball over, Keep driving the bus to victory land #11.

Matt Ionaddis is awesome, I still cant believe this guy wasn't a first or even 2nd round pick, also Preston Smith may be are most underrated player of our defense, No one ever talks about him but he can bring the heat.

Hats off to Dustin Hopkins nailing all his FG's!

AP clearly doesn't have the burst he use to but man does he run hard, I love his style its a throwback to the 80's, Its like Riggins & George Rodgers had a baby.

I LOVE WINNING HTTR

54 minutes ago, fearlessNelms said:

Holding a team to 3 pts. for the game, when they had over 500 yds. of offense and punted only once, has to be some kind of record.

I feel good from the standpoint of, you have to win those kind of games sometimes.  We usually wouldn't. But man, our defense gets cooked by the NFC South.  Four games, in three of them, our defense got thrashed.  

But blind comparison, one of these games was yesterday's vs Tampa and the other two were against the Saints and Falcons:

Team 1

Total first downs = 29

Total yards = 501

Yards per play = 7.5

3rd down efficiency = 6 of 10

Passing yards = 398

Rushing yards = 103

Penalties = 5 for 50

Team 2

Total first downs = 27

Total yards = 447

Yards per play = 7.1

3rd down efficiency = 5 of 9

Passing yards = 349

Rushing yards = 98

Penalties = 4 for 45

Team 3

Total first downs = 25

Total yards = 491

Yards per play = 7.7

3rd down efficiency = 10 of 13

Passing yards = 337

Rushing yards = 154

Penalties = 7 for 50

Tampa was Team 1.

Just goes to show what 4 turnovers can do.  In fact, the two games they won vs the NFC South (point differential = +19) they got 7 turnovers.  In the two games they lost (point differential = -48), 1 turnover.

It appeared the gameplan on D was give up stuff underneath and wait for Fitzpatrick to make mistakes, which he certainly did. With that said, I'm not sure we had to play AS passively as we did. Maybe only a 5 yard cushion instead of 15 yards. Some guys literally weren't even on the screen.

Smith has to start hitting some of the downfield throws. Guys may not be wide open but they are open.

If I have my optimistic glasses on, I do think that the offense will look better with CT and Crowder back.  Let's face it, the plan was to lean on the running game with Guice, and the passing game with Reed, CT and Crowder, with the deep threat of Richardson, and the possession guy in Doctson.

That's not THAT terrible, it's just risky because Doctson, Richardson, Reed, Crowsder and CT all have injury history.  Richardson is done, Crowder and CT have missed significant time, Reed has not produced anywhere near what was expected of him. Guice got hurt also, but AP has been a very capable fill-in for that.

Doctson is starting to flash a bit more.  The real problem is that the offense is limited in it's ability to stretch the field because the outside guys don't get separation, which clogs up stuff in the middle.  If Crowder and CT return healthy at some point, then it might allow the offense to extend the defense a bit more, and loosen things up for everybody.

Now, Smith has to trigger all this, and hit the open guys, so we'll see. 

The offense shouldn't be quite as bad as it has been.  A few plays here and there, and it would be appreciably better.

They're going to have to be better the next 2 weeks.  The Texans are a very good team, and Dallas on Thanksgiving is always tough.  I doubt Elliot is going to go for 32 yards again, or whatever he got last time around. 

The season will be defined by the next 3 weeks.  If they go 2-1 in those games, they are completely in the driver's seat, especially if one of those wins is against the Eagles.  If they go 1-2, it's a battle to the end, and probably ends up in an NFC East Championship game in Philly to end the season. 

If they go 0-3, they most likely miss the playoffs. 

From a standings perspective, they're in great shape.  2 games up on both Dallas and the Eagles with a head-to-head win against Dallas, 2-0 division record, and a 6-2 conference record, (0-1 against the AFC). 

From a wild card perspective, they actually are in good shape also because of head-to-head wins over Green Bay and Carolina.  If the season ended today, the 'Skins would host the Panthers in the division round. 

An 0-3 run over the next 3 basically squashes all of that, however, and probably puts the Eagles and Cowboys back in the hunt.

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

It appeared the gameplan on D was give up stuff underneath and wait for Fitzpatrick to make mistakes, which he certainly did. With that said, I'm not sure we had to play AS passively as we did. Maybe only a 5 yard cushion instead of 15 yards. Some guys literally weren't even on the screen.

Smith has to start hitting some of the downfield throws. Guys may not be wide open but they are open.

The only thing that drives me nuts is a blitz with a really soft zone behind it.  I don't mind playing passively and forcing teams to go the length of the field and make a mistake, but it drives me crazy when we try to be aggressive and passive at the same time, because it sub-optimizes everything.

My friends were posting about rooting for the Cowboys last night.. "Needs to be done.." etc, etc.. I said screw the Cowboys, figuring when the time came, the Eagle would kill us anyway.. But after watching last night, **** the both of em'!! Neither one impressed me.. Eagles will still probably punk us, but I don't feel nearly as concerned as I once did.. If we can find an inkling of offense, who knows.. 

8 minutes ago, GoDeep81 said:

My friends were posting about rooting for the Cowboys last night.. "Needs to be done.." etc, etc.. I said screw the Cowboys, figuring when the time came, the Eagle would kill us anyway.. But after watching last night, **** the both of em'!! Neither one impressed me.. Eagles will still probably punk us, but I don't feel nearly as concerned as I once did.. If we can find an inkling of offense, who knows.. 

I dunno, I thought both teams looked pretty good towards the end of the game.

10 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

There's just no reason for it. A pro QB should be able to hit a guy running wide open like Vernon was yesterday.  His deep ball is just plain awful. He's heaving it and hoping for the best.  

I find it fairly ironic that the Tampa Bay game was literally proof that it doesn’t matter how many yards you pass for (All anybody ever wanted to talk about was Kirk Cousins throwing for over 4,000 yards) when you turn the damn ball over too much.  It has been the argument against keeping Cousins from day one.  He turns the ball over too much and at the worst possible times.  I really hate to harp on this **** but it’s painfully obvious at this point that the Redskins made the right decision to let Cousins walk.  I’ll stand by this forever. A good formula to winning games is to pound the rock, eat the clock, don’t turn the ball over and force the other team into mistakes.  Minnesota was 13-3 last season and Case Keenum turned the ball over only 11 times all year.  Cousins already has 11 turnovers through 9 games.  Already 3 losses and a tie ?‍♂️

5 minutes ago, -JB- said:

I find it fairly ironic that the Tampa Bay game was literally proof that it doesn’t matter how many yards you pass for (All anybody ever wanted to talk about was Kirk Cousins throwing for over 4,000 yards) when you turn the damn ball over too much.  It has been the argument against keeping Cousins from day one.  He turns the ball over too much and at the worst possible times.  I really hate to harp on this **** but it’s painfully obvious at this point that the Redskins made the right decision to let Cousins walk.  I’ll stand by this forever. A good formula to winning games is to pound the rock, eat the clock, don’t turn the ball over and force the other team into mistakes.  Minnesota was 13-3 last season and Case Keenum turned the ball over only 11 times all year.  Cousins already has 11 turnovers through 9 games.  Already 3 losses and a tie ?‍♂️

The correlation between turnovers and winning football games cannot be ignored.  It's the one thing Smith is better at than Cousins.  But there are still seven games left in the season, so it's too early to say Smith is better for the Redskins than Cousins. 

16 minutes ago, -JB- said:

I don't think Cousins turned it over as often as people think he did. He did have some really untimely ones though.

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I don't know if you were the only one who said it, but I remember you posting it in the Game Day thread and I laughed.

NOTE: If you are up by 3, and then the game is tied, does that count as a lead change?  I think it does.  Because the 'Skins had a lead change for the first time this season.

HOWEVER, they have still never trailed in any game they have won, nor have lead in any game they have lost.

They have been tied at 0 and at 3, otherwise, they've been up or down.

That is remarkable.  Hence, I'm remarking on it.

1) I didn't post in the game day thread lol...There is an imposter afoot!!

2) I think we were tied at 7 in another game that we won. And I took lead change to mean the other team now had the lead, so ties wouldn't count.

39 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't think Cousins turned it over as often as people think he did. He did have some really untimely ones though.

Compared to his peers in the 3 years he was starter, his turnover numbers werent any worse really than anybody else.  Even contextually, they probably arent worse than anybody else in his tier.  Guys like Ryan, Stafford, Roethlisberger, Rivers, Wilson, et al, turned it over as much, if not more.

But when you have to score 25-30 to win with no running game and a terrible defense, you're gonna have to be freer with the ball.  How many turnovers would Smith have if he actually tried to make a play from time to time?

Kirk was just never able to shake that turnover machine label, no matter how not applicable it became.

The Texans are good but flawed, by no means are they Pats/Saints/Rams level.

They are on a 6 game winning streak but look who they played, I would say our 6 wins are just as good as theirs and I also wouldn't be surprised if the Colts catch the Texans and win that division.

Texans 6 game winning streak.

1166154447_Houstons6wins.JPG.ca7a51091f807b5341f2bea0735e5078.JPG

1 hour ago, justice98 said:

There's just no reason for it. A pro QB should be able to hit a guy running wide open like Vernon was yesterday.  His deep ball is just plain awful. He's heaving it and hoping for the best.  

I was sitting in the upper deck at the game yesterday. When he released that deep ball to Davis yesterday I was immediately out of my seat. I was SURE that was a TD. From my vantage point you could see just how open Davis was. I couldn't believe he missed that. No excuse. Unacceptable.

14 minutes ago, ThePackisback said:

I'm telling you guys Washington is going to get hot like the 2007 Giants and win the SB.

Sir. I don't want to be rude to you here... but... You are continuing your attempt to jinx us. Some of us see through your ruse...

"ThePackisBack" is actually a riddle wrapped inside an enigma.

What it actually means is "IamCowboyFan".

Didn't think we'd figure that out, did you? Well, I'm on to you. And I am going to thrwart your attempts at this sorcery.

Be gone, cruel devil!

Archived