Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Josh Norman slams Redskins fans after road win: 'They boo everything'

NewCliche21

I believe it was Keim that hit on something that really resonates with me, there are a lot of fans that WANT to love this team.  It’s why we still pay attention, post on forums like this one, listen to sports radio, read the articles, watch the games.  When we hired Scot, it rejuvenated my fandom.  There was never a guarantee it was going to pan out.  There was always the chance it wouldn’t.  But I liked what I heard and it made me want to believe.  

3 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I believe it was Keim that hit on something that really resonates with me, there are a lot of fans that WANT to love this team.  It’s why we still pay attention, post on forums like this one, listen to sports radio, read the articles, watch the games.  When we hired Scot, it rejuvenated my fandom.  There was never a guarantee it was going to pan out.  There was always the chance it wouldn’t.  But I liked what I heard and it made me want to believe.  

I feel like that's a lot of what's holding this team back... HOPE.  

We're all fans of this team, and at the end of the day the goal is the same... to be successful.  We just have differing opinions on how to get there.  Right now is a concrete rose.  Things have NOT looked promising for the future of this team.  Alex Smith is 34 and looks to just be a stop gap game manager, I don't think anyone is expecting him to be here for the better part of a decade, making us a perennial contender.  We don't have our future at QB currently on the roster.  Gruden is going into the final years of his deal and he has not done anything to make us think he'll be re-signed (nor should he be IMHO).  Allen is appearing to be on his way out the door as his role is getting reduced (as he should be imho).  

The landscape of this team is completely in flux, so it's hard to have anything to truly hold onto.... I get the apprehension for excitement because of the fact that stability does not appear attainable by this team.  

14 hours ago, SkinsGuy said:

Ed Reed.

Troy Polamalu.

OK, so first of all...I think you're making a huge assumption that Ed Reed is a "household name" 

I would also contend that both these guys were likely THE best safeties in the league at certain times. Plus Troy Polamalu had the dumb hair thing and some of that going for him. Still though, when it comes to moving the needle from a popularity perspective on those Steeler teams, you had 3-4 guys far ahead of him (Ben, Bettis, Hines Ward, etc.). 

I'm not saying that a S can never become a huge personality. I just think he'd have to be iconic and basically the single best one at his position. Also, the original point I was making was that I don't see a time where DJ Swearinger is the face of the Redskins or someone who sells anything close to a lot of jerseys. 

12 hours ago, hail2skins said:

You're right John, it really isn't anymore.

Earlier in the year we heard rumblings that a location for the new stadium should be announced by the end of 2018. I hope that is still the case, and that when that decision is made, construction starts in earnest soon after. In the meantime, might as well remove about 6-8 more rows from the upper deck and tarp over more sections in the club level. It is pretty obvious the demand just isn't there anymore. 

This is a great post...I think, oddly, that even activity toward a new stadium that is 2-3 years away would re-generate interest in the current stadium. 

8 minutes ago, Suffolk_Skins said:

When people constantly moan about getting there are these for people that don't live in DC that drive there? I mean I have brunch in Eastern Market and I am in my seat within 35 minutes

I think it's also because it's incredibly inconvenient as compared to other places.  Trying to get out of Philly or NY?  Sure there's traffic, but you're right on 95 within a few minutes of leaving the stadium.  You also have a lot of stuff nearby, especially in Philly with Xfinity Live and the other two venues.  In Dallas it's so wide open that you can go somewhere and just walk to the stadium.  FedEx is relatively inaccessible.

For someone like me coming from out of market, it's a pain for sure.

2 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

I think it's also because it's incredibly inconvenient as compared to other places.  Trying to get out of Philly or NY?  Sure there's traffic, but you're right on 95 within a few minutes of leaving the stadium.  You also have a lot of stuff nearby, especially in Philly with Xfinity Live and the other two venues.  In Dallas it's so wide open that you can go somewhere and just walk to the stadium.  FedEx is relatively inaccessible.

I go to watch the game more than enjoy restaurants in bars, especially when I can do that in town before and after. Seems a bit of an excuse to me. Sure it would be nice to have a tone more stuff around there and it to be in a better position I get that but I'll be there, especially at 6-3.

24 minutes ago, Suffolk_Skins said:

I go to watch the game more than enjoy restaurants in bars, especially when I can do that in town before and after. Seems a bit of an excuse to me. Sure it would be nice to have a tone more stuff around there and it to be in a better position I get that but I'll be there, especially at 6-3.

I don't think that you're looking at this from a sociological perspective.  The potential customer base isn't just a bunch of a given person repeated tens of thousands of times.  I also think that you're not looking at it from a logistics standpoint in terms of people who may have to work the same day or following day (especially for SNF or MNF) and the location not being made for that.  The family that can pick up their kids from daycare, head to the stadium, park and have dinner, and then go in.  Or people coming from church.  Or a million other things that don't apply to every individual.  High five to you for being able to be there.

In business you don't tell your customers that their lack of attendance/purchase is due to excuses; you eliminate the barriers as quickly and as much as possible.

56 minutes ago, Suffolk_Skins said:

When people constantly moan about getting there are these for people that don't live in DC that drive there? I mean I have brunch in Eastern Market and I am in my seat within 35 minutes

We live near Baltimore, and drive.

We get there early and hang out in the lot for an hour, or so, grilling dogs and letting the traffic die out.  It takes us 35 minutes to drive to the stadium,  and ~ 45 minutes to get home. 

I've never understood the "you have lots of stuff to do around the stadium" mentality.  I gues that's for fans who don't tailgate?  I can't imagine going to a football game without a tailgate party.  We even tailgate at the away games too. The only exception was the London game, where we hung out at a bar before going in.

That makes for a long enough day, without the extracurricular stuff.

1 hour ago, NewCliche21 said:

We've driven to games in Philly, Pittsburgh, Baltimore and rented a car in Denver.  With the exception of Baltimore, these stadiums were no more accessible than FedEx, or RFK was, at least by car anyway.  Traffic sucked at all those venues.  

5 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

I feel like that's a lot of what's holding this team back... HOPE.  

We're all fans of this team, and at the end of the day the goal is the same... to be successful.  We just have differing opinions on how to get there.  Right now is a concrete rose.  Things have NOT looked promising for the future of this team.  Alex Smith is 34 and looks to just be a stop gap game manager, I don't think anyone is expecting him to be here for the better part of a decade, making us a perennial contender.  We don't have our future at QB currently on the roster.  Gruden is going into the final years of his deal and he has not done anything to make us think he'll be re-signed (nor should he be IMHO).  Allen is appearing to be on his way out the door as his role is getting reduced (as he should be imho).  

The landscape of this team is completely in flux, so it's hard to have anything to truly hold onto.... I get the apprehension for excitement because of the fact that stability does not appear attainable by this team.  

Disagree other than needing a QBOTF. The young defense gives me great hope actually. More hope than I've had since Griffin's rookie season, and before that when my old man called me to say Gibbs was coming back. And I'm stoked on Guice waiting in the wings, I think that guy has star written all over him. This draft will be the offenses turn to get a shot in the arm with our 10 draft picks. I'd go edge, CB, and then all offense. Maybe not the same kind of hope as having a Mahomes let's say, but great defenses can also anchor sustainable runs. Just look at the early Patriots Super Bowls. By the way, we still aren't there on defense. But our defense hasn't even scratched the surface I don't think. Wait till Payne and Allen are in their prime.

6 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

We've driven to games in Philly, Pittsburgh, Baltimore and rented a car in Denver.  With the exception of Baltimore, these stadiums were no more accessible than FedEx, or RFK was, at least by car anyway.  Traffic sucked at all those venues.  

Yeah, the thing that pisses me off to no end are people who don't go because they just assume it is going to take 2.5 hours to exit the stadium onto the Beltway.

Who do they get this information from? Sports talk show hosts who have never been to FedEx Field.

I probably have been to close to 150 regular season games at the stadium since it opened, have pretty much stayed until the end for all of them, and, for a 1 pm game, am pretty much always in Woodbridge by 6 pm. And that is after dropping my mom off at New Carrollton.

Have there been exceptions where we have sat there waiting to get out? Sure.  But I could probably count the number of times in 20 years on one hand that has happened.

Yes, I do wish the stadium was closer to the city with more things to do close by, as there is near Capital One Arena and now near Nats Park.  And I think the parking situation when you arrive could be better organized. And I know all of us have financial priorities, and I'm not going to look down on a Redskins fan who doesn't want to pay $200 to attend a game. 

But don't give me false excuses is all I'm saying. 

The atmosphere has changed a lot in the last 10 or so years. I've been a season ticket holder since 2001 when I finally got a real job and could afford it. Growing up I always dreamed of getting tickets but I quickly realized that Fedex ain't RFK.

Initially, I thought if the team played well and hammered teams at home that we (the fans) would create an environment that rivaled Arrowhead, and at times it felt like that was finally happening, but every time it looked like the Skins were on their  way out of the great big hole that DS & Co had dug themselves in to they picked up the freaking shovel and dug a little deeper. I could point out a S-load of questionable free agent signings, coaching hires, off the field drama ETC.. I don't need to enumerate all of the grievances to anyone here. So seeing this team show some consistency under Jay and drafting well under Jay and developing young players again under Jay, is a long time coming and my feeling with respect to the lack of support from the fanbase is that some people just aren't there yet.

If Josh or DJ need there to be some kind of controversy …..whatever just win.... Hell we all loved CP and he used to play dress up every week. 

I for one  have not heard any boos from the fans this season and I have been to every home game sec. 221. The attendance at home games this year is way down and we have created a very inviting environment for the opposing teams fans, so there's that as well. 

One more note. ….Getting in and out of the stadium is not hard. I never wait a minute coming or going, Not going to give away my secret but if you have half a brain you can figure it out. OK here's a hint...its a giant half empty parking lot with multiple entrances and exits. Think inside the 20 

17 minutes ago, HardcoreZorn said:

Disagree other than needing a QBOTF. The young defense gives me great hope actually. More hope than I've had since Griffin's rookie season, and before that when my old man called me to say Gibbs was coming back. And I'm stoked on Guice waiting in the wings, I think that guy has star written all over him. This draft will be the offenses turn to get a shot in the arm with our 10 draft picks. I'd go edge, CB, and then all offense. Maybe not the same kind of hope as having a Mahomes let's say, but great defenses can also anchor sustainable runs. Just look at the early Patriots Super Bowls. By the way, we still aren't there on defense. But our defense hasn't even scratched the surface I don't think. Wait till Payne and Allen are in their prime.

I was meaning more leading up into this season... we didn't have that THING to hold onto hope.  In 2005 / 2007 it was Gibbs.  In 2012 it was RG3.  Heck, even in 2015 we had a Coach in his 2nd season, a long term option at QB, and we were in our first year of a new DC.... Haslett was gone.  

Yes there are things to be excited about with the direction of this team.  I actually am very hopeful with the way things are constructed... but there's not momentum to drive up the hype machine like there has been in years past.  This is going to sound really bad given the location of the statement, but A LOT of Redskins fans are not what you'd really consider 'Die Hard'.  I actually heard someone on the radio yesterday say he isn't enjoying this season because it's not about winning, its about being entertained.  Now I believe the vast majority of the people invested in this board and in our discussions absolutely dont share that sentiment.  We mostly all understand that at the end of the day, it's about winning and the rest is just discussion fodder.  Unfortunately... I'm starting to think a large part of the people who actually do make it out to games on a regular basis, don't share that same sentiment about winning being the priority, and they go for the experience.  

FOREVER I've been frustrated with the aggressive nature that the Redskins brass has had toward selling suite tickets... about how people cheering when were on defense are told to sit down.. BY THE USHERS.  That the people who take clients to games, and occupy a large part of the quality seats in that stadium don't really understand that there is a MAJOR value in crowd noise.  That there is a time to cheer and a time not to.  That players feed off of that energy.  There is a huge boost when players get announced and the crowd is screaming their heads off.  There is a huge boost when the crowd is so loud on the first defensive drive, that the opposing team can't get their gameplan going.  There's a huge boost when the home team fans have an influence on the game.  Unfortunately, a very large part of Redskins fans just don't get that.... Which is why they need to see the obvious things to get excited about... they need to watch Griffin run 75 yards to buy in.  They need to see Desean Jackson scoring 50 yard TDs to cheer... they need to be given a reason to cheer, instead of cheering to help the team.   

3 minutes ago, TheBlueIndian said:

I for one  have not heard any boos from the fans this season and I have been to every home game sec. 221. 

How long have you been in section 221?

1 hour ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

We live near Baltimore, and drive.

We get there early and hang out in the lot for an hour, or so, grilling dogs and letting the traffic die out.  It takes us 35 minutes to drive to the stadium,  and ~ 45 minutes to get home. 

I've never understood the "you have lots of stuff to do around the stadium" mentality.  I gues that's for fans who don't tailgate?  I can't imagine going to a football game without a tailgate party.  We even tailgate at the away games too. The only exception was the London game, where we hung out at a bar before going in.

That makes for a long enough day, without the extracurricular stuff.

I have breakfast in Eastern Market before hit a bar later for the 4pm games and I'm good. Don't want to hang around in Landover any longer than I need to.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/so-what-does-josh-norman-want-redskins-fans-pandemonium

"You want to see an atmosphere full with raving Redskins Nation fans and pandemonium," 

"From the inside of the stands to the outside of it, all Redskins Nation going in there live, pumping us up. We feeding off of them, we giving them something to cheer for and they giving us back something to be excited for," Norman said. "Those big 3rd downs. As long as we need them, we hear those decibels. We need it up to 105. Literally just blow it off the roof, those decibels, just shoot them up. That’s what we need."

11 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Grant Paulsen today talked about having a conversation with a team official who told him he's surprised about the lack of enthusiasm from the fan base about this team.  Paulsen then mentioned Keim commented on the subject (forgot if this was Keim commenting to the same team official or to Grant) and said its not an exciting product to sell because what's the hook -- come see us not turn over the ball.

And on this topic, not sure if anyone on this board is a good focus group on the subject aside from commenting on the reaction of more casual fans they know.  The fact that we are willing to spend all this time commenting about the team means we are with the team through thick and think and are easy sells.  We might have disagreements about the team but the passion for the team is clear.  If we are homers or cynical -- its still an emotion -- so its passion. 

I think when it comes to more casual fans which is the target audience -- style points might matter to them.  I think for example the Gibbs years had teams that were less consistent than Jay's recent teams but you had star power -- Sean, Portis, Moss, Cooley.  They all had personalities.

We can appreciate D line play, etc -- but to the casual fan I don't know if it moves them as much as other things -- moreover, we don't have players that are interesting personalities like a Portis, etc.   Or going back to Gibbs 1, Riggo, Manley, etc.  Even the O line had an image to it -- with the hogs, etc.   Some like to say Gibbs teams were vanilla with little star power.  But if you think back that is not so.   

This team is vanilla. Now that doesn't bother me.  But I think it makes it harder to get the causal fan interested.  My kids are still somewhat young.  In 2012, they got caught up with the RG3 mania.  After that, they liked Desean Jackson.    Now, its really no one that gets them that excited.  Alex Smith jersey sales from what I've seen statistically has been greeted with a yawn from the fan base -- it isn't a seller.  He's a nice guy but he's boring and his style of play is boring, too. 

I think Derius Guice had the potential to change it.   I think if they bring back Peterson -- the duo threat of Guice-Peterson has some sex appeal for casual fans and will get national attention.   

The Giants stink but they get a lot of national attention anyway via Beckham and Barkley.  None of that matters to people like us.  But I do think as for the more causal fans which I think is the target audience here -- it isn't the key part of the soup but I think its part of it.

And I do agree winning cures all.  So if they go for example 11-5, they'd win a lot of people over.  But in the meantime I think its more difficult to sell a product that doesn't look exciting and or have exciting personalities to the more casual fan. 

6 hours ago, Suffolk_Skins said:

Thats you, there are millions of people that live in the area.  A lot of them are skins fans, a lot of them want to bring your families.  That walk from Morgan blvd or Largo metro is just stupid.

I will say this though about Norman's comments.  I agreed with some of what he's said, but now the team has a target on its back from the fans.  He's said this, and now he has to live with the consequences of bad play at home from here on out.  Sunday is a good day for them to prove people wrong, and get a win at home to keep momentum going.  If they get embarrassed at Fed-Ex like they did against the Falcons and Colts, then they should feel the wrath of the fanbase for putting his foot in his mouth once again.  This is it.  No more embarrassing home losses anymore.  If you want the fans to come out and support you and be loud, then give them something to cheer.  Don't let your comments make you the goat if we lose by 20 at home to the Texans, or lose to a pathetic Giants team with nothing to play for AGAIN in a few weeks.

24 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Thats you, there are millions of people that live in the area.  A lot of them are skins fans, a lot of them want to bring your families.  That walk from Morgan blvd or Largo metro is just stupid.

I used to live in DC for a spell -- not anymore now i am in South Florida.  But I'd love going to Camden Yards to see a game.  And yeah I didn't need to go walk around the harbor, get some crabs or whatever to enjoy the game -- but it made the day more of an event and it would help me sell others who were less enthused sports fans to come with me.

I walked back from Tampa's stadium to my hotel, had dinner in an outdoor mall place with plenty of things to do -- all within a 1.5 mile radius from the stadium.  In Arizona, the stadium is right by a massive outdoor mall with restaurants, movie theater, etc.  New Orleans you can walk to the stadium from Bourbon St.    Dallas, too. On and on. 

To me its not just that having things to do but it adds more to the fan experience, you are surrounded by Redskins fans before and after the game-- high fiving and joshing around, heckling the local opponent's fans.  More fun. 

Conversely, I go to Fed Ex, come back to where I am staying and go out-- I get much less fan camaraderie in the DMV than I do on the road.  It's not even close.  And its not that any of this is needed.  It's like saying can you enjoy an ice cream without the chocolate syrup and all the toppings --  sure, you could.  But once you have the toppings and know the difference -- you are going to want to keep going back to that.  I've gotten into a couple of conversations with people from the DMV who have said they rather go to a road game than one at Fed Ex.  Actually Finlay talked about it himself in one of his segments about why some DMV Redskins based fans enjoy the road experience more.

Team is just too boring for fans to get all riled up and want to show up to games..Every single year there is nothing but a bunch of injuries and nothing changes as they keep bringing the same injured players back..Yeah the record is better this year,but anyone with any sense knows this team is going nowhere with a 34 year old QB and a 33 year old RB and that's not even getting to a OL that is always hurt..

Archived