Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Redskins vs. Falcons

KDawg

Pros:

-The team didn't quit and played hard for four quarters. That is a change from the past. Can't officially count these guys out even if we know the firepower isn't there. And to be honest, this is a big time positive in my eyes.

-Vernon Davis.

-Mo Harris.

Meh:

-The corners played decently. But secondary tackling as a whole left a lot to be desired.

Cons:

-Wow. Alex Smith has been... bad. Again. Had a statline that people would look and if they didn't watch the game they'd think he played well... But holy crap. To be fair, he had a couple of beautiful passes. The one that sticks out is the fade to Doctson for the TD. The other play where he broke 3 sacks and rushes for 20+ to set us up for the score was awesome as well. But the ball just seems to come out of his hands with a wobble on nearly every throw. Still hoping he can get in sync. I don't think he's a bad player but he needs to turn it around quick.

-4/5 of the starting offensive line is injured. Nsheke hurt his hand and should have come out but realized that he couldn't. Do you guys know any big dudes on the streets that can block? We're in trouble here. I said it in the OL thread but I'll say it here: At what point do the Skins look at Williams, Lauvao, Scherff and Moses and realize all four guys are injury prone? Scherff can get a pass, other than a few freak injuries he's been relatively healthy. But the other three need to be looked at to replace. I'm not an advocate of just getting rid of Williams, though. He's still our best lineman. His replacement needs to be drafted as soon as we're in position, and either move Williams to guard or move his replacement for a bit to upgrade the line. Lauvao needs to be moved on from in the offseason. 

-The inside backers went from downhill and attacking to playing completely laterally again. This is a position we need to upgrade, but to be honest, I think a lot of this is scheme influenced. I was afraid Manusky was going to back off the aggressiveness and did. Our identity defensively needs to be as an attacking defense. Sure, some wrinkles depending on opponent. But don't change what we do well. It's overthinking it and winds up hurting us. 

I'm sure I'll think of more as you guys reply.

I got free tickets to the game and I have no regrets about going even if they lost. I was very mad on the way back but I am calmer today. 

The thing is this team is not perfect. And nobody is. They have a lot to work and improve on. This team isn't bad. This team beat Carolina. Carolina is 6-2. This team also beat the Packers who are pretty good. And the Falcons are no pushover. 

I remember riding the train to the game. Falcons fan and someone else talking trash (one of the best parts of going to a Redskins game is the Metro banter) Falcons fan like "We need this win today" and it showed on the field. Falcons went right down the field first drive and sent a message. This team came to win. And Redskins didn't. 

Need to beat Tampa to keep the winning going. 

Wheels fall off every year with a Williams injury, no different this year. I almost posted it in a thread last week but decided I wanted a small sliver of hope instead. Why do we have the most injury prone line and skill players?? I expect to lose the next two or three games and for regular Redskins drama to ensue. Maybe a mid season firing of Gruden would brighten our day for a minute.

I’m officially on the hire McDaniels train 

Yep next week is a must win for sure.

Atlanta has an elite offensive team. They sort of embarassed our defense, which sort of proved that we aren't as good as we thought we were. Offensively we simply can't pass the ball as effectively as other teams, although I did like some of those throws by Smith. Harris was a nice surprise. 

A million injuries, a million penalties, we're not good enough to overcome that kind of adversity. Hopefully this loss has the same affect as the Saints loss and we we straighten **** out for next week. Tampa is essentially a poor man's Falcons.

We knew Atlanta had a premiere offense, and they showed it yesterday.  They had the best 3rd-down conversion rate in the league, and showed it again yesterday.

We beat a very good team in Carolina, and a good team in Green Bay.  So beating good teams isn't impossible for us.

They ran like crazy over us, but we convincingly shut down McCaffery, Elliott, and Barkley the previous three weeks...so what's the fluke?  I say yesterday.

We've been winning with defense and a dominant ground game.  Those things escaped us yesterday, and we lost.  Move on.  No one really expected us to go 14-2, and I'm sure we'll all be thrilled with 10-6 (which would probably win the division)...so just get ready for next week, and see if we can't head into Thanksgiving at 7-3...

Alex Smith - He's a liability.  

Defense - Did they not know the Falcons were going to run pick plays?  They looked totally unprepared for them.  Ditto for Coleman.  Zones with zero pressure don't work.  Why is Nicholson playing over Clinton-Dix at this point?  I don't think anyone in their right mind feels that they're equal players.  Oh, and no more shadowing of Norman on opposing #1's...let our young guys get experience covering marquee players because he isn't going to be here much longer...and he was getting beaten like everyone else.  That interference play on Jones was terrible football.  

O-Line - It is what it is.  Who can honestly say they couldn't see this coming?  If you're going to bet on this personnel, at least have competent backups that can step in with marginal drop off.  If any of these guys are out for an extended period, our running game may be done.

Jordan Reed - Run your routes at full speed, sometimes.  Especially if you're short of a first down marker.  Even if you juke a defender out of a break, they have plenty of time to tackle you after a catch, because you aren't running top speed.  

ILBs - must upgrade.  Mason "Hashmark-to-Hashmark" Foster has no business covering anyone, let alone shifty backs.  

21 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

Yep next week is a must win for sure.

Atlanta has an elite offensive team. They sort of embarassed our defense, which sort of proved that we aren't as good as we thought we were. Offensively we simply can't pass the ball as effectively as other teams, although I did like some of those throws by Smith. Harris was a nice surprise. 

I think it's pretty close to must-win too. I thought at 5-2 we needed to split the next 4 games (Atlanta, Tampa, Houston, and Dallas). So, that leaves us needing to get 2 of the next 3 and Tampa is arguably the easiest one. If we do somehow accomplish that and are 7-4 with 5 games to go...we still have things out in front of us. 

I can handle getting our butts kicked. Don't care for having to play the Falcons and the refs. The last time I saw officiating that biased the Seahawks were getting screwed out of a Superbowl versus the Steelers. With all the holding they were doing, the stadium staff should have played slow jams whenever the Falcons offense was on the field.

1 hour ago, ixcuincle said:

Falcons went right down the field first drive and sent a message. 

Thanks to a blatant offensive PI on Julio that wasn’t called. Likely the defense goes 3 and out there, then, who knows.

Crazy to me how lopsided the calls were in Atlanta’s favor the first half, didn’t start to even up until the game was basically in hand. Even the TD to Ridley looked like OPI as Sanu came straight out and blocked the DB while Ridley crosses underneath. Also, the phantom holding call on the Doctson catch right before half that could’ve given the Skins some momentum.

Maddening... oh well, on to Tampa. Are we meeting in Al Lopez park again?

1 hour ago, skinzplay said:

I can't stomach a loss to a team whose defense absolutely stinks, but comes into our home stadium and not only shuts the offense down, but embarrasses the offense in multiple facets of the game.

Well said.  The Falcons defense is poor and they were missing multiple o-linemen for the game.  Our d-line should have been licking their chops.  By the way, was our starting front 7 playing yesterday?

All I know is one of the favorites in the NFC to make it to the Super Bowl (New Orleans) gave up 35 points yesterday to the undefeated Rams and still won by 10.

Looking at last year's Super Bowl, offenses now win championships.  And the Redskins don't have one.  The Redskins defense was a problem yesterday, but the offense is a problem virtually every day.

13 minutes ago, NikeRedskin7 said:

Well said.  The Falcons defense is poor and they were missing multiple o-linemen for the game.  Our d-line should have been licking their chops.  By the way, was our starting front 7 playing yesterday?

thought they just played Oakland on Thursday? 

Just now, cakmoney61 said:

All I know is one of the favorites in the NFC to make it to the Super Bowl (New Orleans) gave up 35 points yesterday to the undefeated Rams and still won by 10.

Looking at last year's Super Bowl, offenses now win championships.  And the Redskins don't have one.  The Redskins defense was a problem yesterday, but the offense is a problem virtually every day.

I think the defense ebbs and flows with Manusky's gameplan. I don't know what the plan was, but I'd guess they saw a team with a back that isn't anywhere near as good as the backs we've faced... and I think they decided they would play the pass because they would stop the run regardless. IF that's the case, I think it was the biggest mistake the team could have made. 

The Skins constantly out think themselves. Stick with what works, make tweaks according to opponent... but take away the run by being aggressive with the inside backers and letting the DL play football. Make teams try to beat us with the pass. Sure, it can mean we get crushed... but when I see the ILBs playing aggressive and downhill for three games in a row and then play laterally like they did in our other losses it tells me it's either schematic or our guys just don't get "it". 

Stop the run and let the Falcons pass beat us. We don't have good enough ILBs/a run stopping safety to read and react and get downhill. That needs to be schemed with our personnel. Dropping them into coverage more often than not is a recipe for disaster. Mason Foster is a good linebacker against the run and downhill. He is not a good linebacker sideline to sideline and in coverage. Stop trying to make him something he's not. It makes him look bad when the idea is to play to your guys' strengths. 

Yes, Atlanta could have still done some damage. I can't deny that in the least. But why change your game so much you're giving them what they want (the pass, because you got guys in coverage that shouldn't be) and the run (because you're playing too many guys in pass defense roles when they should be aggressive to take away the run)?

Just a point about the Falcons defense...

They had a slew of injuries in September and put a couple stinkers out there.  Fact is, they’ve stabilized and played pretty decent over this 3 game win streak they have.  Factor in the collapse of our OLine, our complete inability to get the defense off the field on 3rd down and a buttload of holding penalties and it’s really no surprise that the Falcons D showed better than their season ranking.

These linebackers are a liability.  I am so tired of seeing Mason Foster chasing a RB from behind, not even close.  Not to mention the game plan itself made it seem like Manusky didn't even think Coleman was on the Falcons offense, since often times he never seemed to be covered at all.

Is Jordan Reed turning into the next Fred Davis?  There is debate now whether he actually got benched later in the game for lack of effort.  Dude can't or won't give effort in blocking, so any time he is in the game, Defenses know the run is not coming his way so they can shift. 

This team is not ready for the better teams in the NFL.  They won a nail-biter against Carolina, but they probably lose that game if they play them now.

7 minutes ago, cakmoney61 said:

The SKINS were NEVER going to the SB...nobody predicted that. The SKINS are making progress towards the playoffs..maybe a one win there. We are NOT in a league of the P's, NO, Rams..but we ARE seeing SOME good games played and like Kdawg said..playing hard! Why you all need to slam Alex is beyond me. I have enjoyed this season more than any of the previous (except for 2012,2015). As AEROSMITH would say..Get a Grip...

In the grand scheme of things this is a pretty minor complaint, but when was the last time we ever attempted some sort of trick play on offense? It seems every week teams with already good offenses still implement plays that confuse the defense -- case and point last night's reverse/screen play by New England. The Pats are an offensive juggernaut yet still attempt plays like this. Why isn't Gruden ever doing anything to catch the defense off guard? It's not like we are marching up and down the field consistently anyways... 

I like Mason Foster he plays with that dog in him but he is not a starting LB on a great defense. He is useless outside of the tackles unless he makes the decision to go pre snap. He can not run with runningbacks. He reminds me of Trotter but may have more physical limitation. So frustrating to watch. He also struggles every other game attacking running lanes. 

I don’t think Haha played well yesterday either but the entire secondary was on their heels from the get go. They were scared to death the minute they turned on the film of Atlanta and it showed. 

At the end of the day, this team is the same as it has been all year. Capable, yet not going to set the world on fire playing from behind. That is going to be an issue, but this team can definitely win games. I'm not worried about the D... i think it's a schematic tweak away from being the D we saw the previous three weeks.

Our biggest concern right now is OL health. That is what will determine the direction of this team moving forward. Nothing else was really much different yesterday.

Archived