Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

When Can We Get Out of the Alex Smith Contract???

Renegade7

12 hours ago, thebeermonkey said:

Gruden is gone. Allen will be gone if we only get two more wins.

theres a brightness in every storm

Allen would be gone?  We can all hope but I fear Allen will remind Synder that his main assignment is to help Synder secure enough idiot politicians to get the public to buy a new stadium.  Somehow Allen will morph himself into the chief corporate lobbyist and in Snyder's eyes and Snyder will not associate Allen with the roster even indirectly.

Allen has probably already picked the fall guys and begun the conversation by saying Dan, I am afraid  ______________  and Doug Williams have let us down.  We gave them the rains to build the roster and while they have improved the DL as I encouraged them to do it is clear they have failed us as talent evaluators and roster managers.  Dan, I believe we ought to bring a new GM to replace Doug and with him a new lead to replace _______________ and of course Gruden, the new GM will want to pick his coach.  You gave them all the opportunity they didn't perform and I recommend we find a new leadership group to that can rejuvenate this team and fill the new stadium I am going to help us acquire.

1 hour ago, Veryoldschool said:

Allen would be gone?  We can all hope but I fear Allen will remind Synder that his main assignment is to help Synder secure enough idiot politicians to get the public to buy a new stadium.  Somehow Allen will morph himself into the chief corporate lobbyist and in Snyder's eyes and Snyder will not associate Allen with the roster even indirectly.

Allen has probably already picked the fall guys and begun the conversation by saying Dan, I am afraid  ______________  and Doug Williams have let us down.  We gave them the rains to build the roster and while they have improved the DL as I encouraged them to do it is clear they have failed us as talent evaluators and roster managers.  Dan, I believe we ought to bring a new GM to replace Doug and with him a new lead to replace _______________ and of course Gruden, the new GM will want to pick his coach.  You gave them all the opportunity they didn't perform and I recommend we find a new leadership group to that can rejuvenate this team and fill the new stadium I am going to help us acquire.

I doubt Snyder is THAT dumb to believe that ****.

He already complained that he and Bruce weren't aware of AP's signing. It was a good one.  And Snyder knows Smith is due to Bruce, not Doug.

Bruce can say whatever he wants, I still have a hard, a real hard time seeing Dan fire Doug 'Legendary Redskins QB" Williams.

3 hours ago, goskins10 said:

Yes, I know.  Geez, no one can have any fun anymore; I was letting my cynical psychotic side out for a little R&R, and you had to go and pee in his post toasties.

Maybe the next time I let him out I will say because Ariana Grande had a spell on him. It could be true, you never know!

But, getting back to the basics, a QB with his tenure in the league shouldn't be having such difficulties or inhibitions throwing the ball deep. Its the WR's job to position himself to catch it, but when its thrown into double or triple coverage its no one's fault but his.

He doesn't throw deep because he can't; he has no accuracy at all, its potluck when he tries and usually ends up being non-catchable or drifting out of reach halfway there.

Gruden's not happy with him, but Alex refuses to bother trying; in 3-4 weeks, after the team has lost all of these games, there's only one thing Gruden can do, but he may not be able to do it without making some in the FO frown upon him. Alex is protecting the ball, but also protecting this team from having a chance. Whatever they're doing in practice isn't translating onto the playing field, Eventually he will have to trust his receivers more, or the rumblings and murmurs in the stands will turn into outright deafening boos.

8 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

Honestly, I think that's been the book since about week 3,but I don't think it's executed. In part because our defense has been so good at stopping them, like how we beat Dallas, Carolina and NY. Heck even GB. 

AP is a HOF RB who still has it. How much will that be affected by the OL? Or opposing teams defenses? We thought Atlanta had a bad defense but they were able to stop him, same for Colts, same for NO. Will that be the case for the 8 remaining games? I can't see it happening all 8 times. 

Add to that the fact that Smith hasn't been this unable to complete an NFL pass type QB, he's just been inconsistent and not making big plays. But he's been able to put some good drives together. Question is can he do it more often, especially if AP gets stopped. 

I think AP is going to be affected. Mostly, because any RB will be affected. It's also going to affect Smith. He's been bad, and if he gets more pressure, he will be worse.

If AP is held in check, we've already have seen what happens. In the the games AP is not a factor, we've lost in blowouts in which the game was decided in the 1st half. Going back to last year with KC, it's the same thing. If Kareem Hunt was effective, they won, when he wasn't they lost. So, to answer your question, no, I don't think if AP is taken away, Alex will be able to win a game. He wasn't able to do it last year, when He (IMO) was playing much more effectively. But as soon as you take away his running game, he becomes a different QB. He's been shakier this year than last year, and his balls look worse coming out of his hand than they have in the past. I do not see him turning it around with a injury depleted OL.

56 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

I doubt Snyder is THAT dumb to believe that ****.

He already complained that he and Bruce weren't aware of AP's signing. It was a good one.  And Snyder knows Smith is due to Bruce, not Doug.

Bruce can say whatever he wants, I still have a hard, a real hard time seeing Dan fire Doug 'Legendary Redskins QB" Williams.

I hope you are right but I think Allen will find a way to hang on like some chemo resistant intestinal parasite.  Someone will have to have to be fired and the Skins have put Williams out front so I'm thinking he and another plus Gruden get whacked to make room for and a new leadership team.

13 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

I hope you are right but I think Allen will find a way to hang on like some chemo resistant intestinal parasite.  Someone will have to have to be fired and the Skins have put Williams out front so I'm thinking he and another plus Gruden get whacked to make room for and a new leadership team.

It's more gut than anything here.

But Doug is too iconic and Dan too much of a fan for this to happen now. Doug's been in place for one year only, so he has to have some kind of leeway. Reports about tensions between Jay and Bruce have surfaced last offseason. As well as Dan being fed up with Bruce. And I remember articles saying that Scot's firing have lead to an increase of "power" for Jay at Redskins Park.

So to me, it's not completly out of the realm to have Bruce fired at some point and Jay still HC. If relationship with Kyle and/or Schaeffer is good it could be just what we really need.

But as I said, it's gut more than anything else here. Pure guess from my side.

22 hours ago, bobandweave said:

And Alex has already won more games against NFC East teams then the last guy did last season.

You got me there.  Alex managed to defeat the colossal cowpies and the juggernaut giants.  Remember that genius play vs the cowpies when the savvy veteran scrambled out of bounds saving dallass a timeout?  Genius! He knew their center would simulate a snap and force his kicker back 5 so he could shank it off the goal post.  And remember that classic handoff when he placed the ball perfectly in AP's belly so he could run 64 yards for the game clinching TD?  Man, that Alex Smith!  He is dominating the powerhouse NFC East!  I'm sure he can't wait to play the defending SuperBowl champs twice to demonstrate how good he is old school 1970's football!  Can't wait!

2 hours ago, Morneblade said:

I think AP is going to be affected. Mostly, because any RB will be affected. It's also going to affect Smith. He's been bad, and if he gets more pressure, he will be worse.

If AP is held in check, we've already have seen what happens. In the the games AP is not a factor, we've lost in blowouts in which the game was decided in the 1st half. Going back to last year with KC, it's the same thing. If Kareem Hunt was effective, they won, when he wasn't they lost. So, to answer your question, no, I don't think if AP is taken away, Alex will be able to win a game. He wasn't able to do it last year, when He (IMO) was playing much more effectively. But as soon as you take away his running game, he becomes a different QB. He's been shakier this year than last year, and his balls look worse coming out of his hand than they have in the past. I do not see him turning it around with a injury depleted OL.

Yeah, but can AP be stopped 8 times in a row? Are we going to go from 5&3 to 5&11?

I'm not as panicked because I partially think that they were in fact prepared for this. You can just see by how quickly we signed new guys that we were looking elsewhere just in case. This year we went with young experience over pure youth. 

The only real downgrade is at RG but is that worthy of 0-8 second half? 

We have a chance at 10 or even 11 wins and until it doesn't happen in not throwing in the towel 

Playoffs or bust this year, no excuses.

Having a veteran QB will hopefully prove positive. If Smith QBs an above average defense, below average skill players, and a ravished line to 10wins— that’ll be something  positive heading into next year. Work will need to be done take a next step though. 

I choose to root for that. 

6-3!!! 

29 minutes ago, ThomasRoane said:

You got me there.  Alex managed to defeat the colossal cowpies and the juggernaut giants.  Remember that genius play vs the cowpies when the savvy veteran scrambled out of bounds saving dallass a timeout?  Genius! He knew their center would simulate a snap and force his kicker back 5 so he could shank it off the goal post.  And remember that classic handoff when he placed the ball perfectly in AP's belly so he could run 64 yards for the game clinching TD?  Man, that Alex Smith!  He is dominating the powerhouse NFC East!  I'm sure he can't wait to play the defending SuperBowl champs twice to demonstrate how good he is old school 1970's football!  Can't wait!

Hahah never said that his play was great I said that the team with him under center has already beaten more teams in the division then the previous guy did.

That’s the truth.

Sorry that you see absolutely nothing  positive about Smith. But I commend you for being honest in your last post to me saying your prejudiced because it clearly shows. 

Why is it that we can't root for Alex and think he can be better, but also feel like Kirk was a good QB and be frustrated that he's gone?  Can't there be objective fans that look at the situation we're in and try to draw a conclusion?   Still root for, and have a certain level of confidence in, our starting QB and not be 'anti-Kirk?'  

Why can't we have our concerns, but still have the thought that things could get better?   Also keeping an open enough mind that we may change those opinions as things continue to develop?  

Why can't we think Alex Smith is a better QB than how he's playing now, while also not thinking he's going to be an elite level, top tier, NFL leading type QB?

Why does it have to be Kirk vs Alex?    Why can't it just be an opinion about the Redskins starting QB?  

6 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Personally letting Long go looked the right move to me, especially based on the contact he got signed up to. However, failing to add another durable, quality interior OL player was a clear mistake which has been compounded off the charts over the last 2 weeks.

Yeah I am not hung up on Long but they replaced him with no one. Interior depth was bad last year. It is even worse this year. So they made their bed as to depth on the o line

2 hours ago, bobandweave said:

Hahah never said that his play was great I said that the team with him under center has already beaten more teams in the division then the previous guy did.

That’s the truth.

Sorry that you see absolutely nothing  positive about Smith. But I commend you for being honest in your last post to me saying your prejudiced because it clearly shows. 

No hard feelings man.  I actually felt that Alex played one of his better games vs the Falcons.  I'm just not confident that he will make much progress at his age.  He's hardwired to play conservatively.  Some habits are just too hard to break. Alex will always panic when the pressure is on and look to escape the pocket or check the ball down.  Take Tim Tebow for instance.  His biggest issue was his baseball style wind up.  Coaches could get him to keep from dropping his elbow but when he faced pressure and the game got tight he would revert back to dropping his elbow giving the DB a heads up that the pass was coming.  I doubt that anyone in the FO considers Alex to be a guy that can elevate an offense.  I think I can say with great confidence that Redskins scouts are looking very hard at QB's that are coming out in 2019. 

On 11/7/2018 at 10:16 PM, goskins10 said:

Ok, this is from the start of the 3rd season in ehe league and under Jay as the OC. Andy was struggling early that season before having his best season as a pro to that point and arguably his best season at all - even after Jay has left. This is the same season Andy went on to throw for over 4000 yds and 33 TDs, only take 29 sacks (vs the 46 the year before), and 2 rushing TDs. Yea, he really struggled. He has never thrown for more than 30 TDs since. He threw for over 4000 yds since then only once but had just 18 TDs, 9 fumbles and took 41 sacks. Yea, Jay was he problem. 

The writer own words: 

Andy Dalton has been a great quarterback for the Bengals.  Write that down: great.  Great for a Bengals quarterback, that is. He has led a reformed Bengals squad to two straight playoff appearances, something no Cincinnati quarterback has done in even relatively recent memory.  And his stats through his first two seasons are pretty solid.

That was after his first two years that were not nearly as complete a season as he one he was complaining about - on Oct 1st. The article as written after a bad outing for the entire team - a 17 - 6 loss to the Browns. They later beat that same Browns team 41-20. 

Some whiney local beat writer throwing mud on the wall. Again, Andy Dalton got better every year Jay was there. Andy himself credits Jay with his development. He had his best year as a pro under Jay. Yea, Jay really was a problem there. 

Sorry, if that is struggling I would hope Alex would struggle like that.

If you were from Cincinnati and you watched every game like we watch every Skins game, you'd have a better impression of what I'm talking about. Andy does just enough to keep you hoping. He has never been great from a fans perspective. The numbers no doubt have been good. But just like our ol' #8, the results end up being some late game interception or a just not getting it done when it matters. Gruden was also one of those love him or hate him type of guys in Cinci. The play calls were absolutely.......just like they are now.

5 hours ago, joeken24 said:

If you were from Cincinnati and you watched every game like we watch every Skins game, you'd have a better impression of what I'm talking about. Andy does just enough to keep you hoping. He has never been great from a fans perspective. The numbers no doubt have been good. But just like our ol' #8, the results end up being some late game interception or a just not getting it done when it matters. Gruden was also one of those love him or hate him type of guys in Cinci. The play calls were absolutely.......just like they are now.

So now we are moving the goal posts. The original statement was that you have seen "enough QBs struggle with Jay Gruden." I asked you to provide examples. Your only example is a whiney article by a local beat writer after one of his worst games as a professional - that was followed by the best stretch he has had. 

Again - Dalton got better every year with Gruden, culminating with his best year as a pro. Since that didn't work you want to talk about - well yea Andy's numbers might look good but he makes mistakes like - Kirk - yes it's Kirk Cousins. Good grief are you people still in elementary school. Say it with me. Kirk Cousins. The boogieman is not going to come down and get you for saying his name! 

There is still a problem with that argument. How is it's Jay issue if Andy throws bone head picks or makes other bad decisions at critical times? That would only be relevant if he did so more with Jay than without Jay. And that is completely false. In fact Andy had his best years with Jay. So Jay is not the issue. If Andy's does those things, and while I have not seen every minute of every Bengals game, I have seen enough of Andy - yea he can make some ill timed mistakes - but this just in, all QBs do this. They are just magnified when it's "your team" or you watch them all the time. I watched almost every play of Peyton Manning's career in Indy, and most of his plays at TN. He made plenty of WTF plays that cost Indy games. If they never make any mistakes like that they are not trying hard enough. That is honestly Alex's problem. He is so worried about making one of those mistakes he is hand cuffing the entire offense. Back to Andy: It's on Andy when he makes the mistakes, not Jay. If anything Jay helped mask them to the extent he could with play calling. 

You clearly do not like Jay. You didn't like Dalton and you didn't like Cousins - Hmm....  seeing a pattern here. But Ok, that's fair. You have that right. But there are enough legitimate things to be concerned about Jay in terms of being a HC without just randomly blaming him for stuff that is either not true (you have not seen multiple QBs struggle in Jay's system) or not in his control (changing the target to QBs making poor decisions at critical times while otherwise playing well).  

4 hours ago, -JB- said:

Kirk Cousins was never 6-3 in any season he started.  That is fact.

I get your point to a certain extent. But he was 6-3-1 in 2016. Not exactly 6-3 but for all intents and purposes the same record. We did lose the next 2. So let's see what happens. 

3 minutes ago, Sandy Monk said:

U don't even really need to ask, right?

That's the sad thing is you do have to ask, because some if not most will still think we were better with Kirk.  If you ask me right now I don't know how to answer that question

1 minute ago, dckey said:

most will still think we were better with Kirk.

Just don't see how it matters. F/O made a choice, and he gone, so what's done is done. 

NOT telling "real" Skins fans how to feel. Just expressing my one innocuous opinion on that.

All that matters is whether fans want to tank/rebuild or win some games with any sense of optimism or pride in being a winning team, even if not the very bestest the League has to offer, right away.

1 hour ago, Sandy Monk said:

Just don't see how it matters. F/O made a choice, and he gone, so what's done is done. 

NOT telling "real" Skins fans how to feel. Just expressing my one innocuous opinion on that.

All that matters is whether fans want to tank/rebuild or win some games with any sense of optimism or pride in being a winning team, even if not the very bestest the League has to offer, right away.

Then you're missing the whole point here.

The point is not so much about Kirk and Alex, but about the FO that made the decision. Many want that FO GONE, and the handling of the Kirk contract, and then the subsequent trade for Alex with a huge contract extension is a big part of it. It's not all of it, Bruce has quite a few other points that many of us are not happy about, but this is the biggest, and most recent one.

So, it matters. It matters because some of us want to remove what we feel is a part of the organization that has been hurting us for quite some time.

You don't have any understanding of that, because you were not here for the last 10 years, and I totally get that. But the rest of us do.

Most of us won't have any optimism/pride while Bruce Allen is still here.

Archived