Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can we stop pretending now?

Monkman56

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

We've had injuries too. Smith had a crap center, with his life all ****ed up and some top players nicked up. So, were not elite. Nobody is saying we are. I'm just saying that we're good. Maybe even win a playoff game. 

Looking down the stretch, other than Houston, it looks pretty winnable, right? Do you think we can win most of those games? I do and I haven't said that in a long time.

I don't think we can win against Houston, maybe the Titans and we could easily blow a game against the Eagles.  

Someone will win the doom and gloom roulette game eventually and start the thread that immediately proceeds the downfall of the season, but considering that it's not the case just yet I wonder what the etiquette is for repeat attempts.  Will definitely need to work in shifts.

5 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I don't think we can win against Houston, maybe the Titans and we could easily blow a game against the Eagles.  

This team can blow up at any moment.  I'd say a losing record in the last 4 games is most likely.  3-4 would make them a 9-7 finisher and possibly a division winner.  They'd be hard pressed to win any playoff game vs anyone.  Their formula does travel though... Defense can make some plays, so anything is possible.  I agree with most that this team isn't any different then the last several years.  Always a play away from .500 

18 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

So 11-5? That's pretty ****ing good. I'll take being the worst team with double digit wins over the best 7-9 team any day.

There's no way I can see them winning the next 5 of 7 games.  Houston will beat them and likely easy.  Dallas will beat them on Thanksgiving likely humiliating.  Eagles win the first one and they'll likely sweep the Skins this year.  Might beat the Giants, so I have them going 1 out of the next 4.  They'll be at .500 with a 7-7 record unless they continue to get lucky. 

Just now, TheShredder said:

This team can blow up at any moment.  I'd say a losing record in the last 4 games is most likely.  3-4 would make them a 9-7 finisher and possibly a division winner.  They'd be hard pressed to win any playoff game vs anyone.  Their formula does travel though... Defense can make some plays, so anything is possible.  I agree with most that this team isn't any different then the last several years.  Always a play away from .500 

I dont think so. I think the defense is on the verge of special. Adding Dix was a huge move. Adding hard nose fiery leaders like AP, Payne, DJ, Allen, was a huge move. We're not soft anymore. 

There's no way I can see them winning the next 5 of 7 games.  Houston will beat them and likely easy.  Dallas will beat them on Thanksgiving likely humiliating.  Eagles win the first one and they'll likely sweep the Skins this year.  Might beat the Giants, so I have them going 1 out of the next 4.  They'll be at .500 with a 7-7 record unless they continue to get lucky. 

That's the spirit!

8 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

That's the spirit!

It's not about team spirit but more about evaluating the current state of the Redskins.  Decimated OL, bad offense, and a history the precludes everyone in the NFL from expecting anything different then what they've historically done until proven otherwise.  I'd be happy to be wrong, but it's just my perception.

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

So 11-5? That's pretty ****ing good. I'll take being the worst team with double digit wins over the best 7-9 team any day.

Again, it just depends.  I could see 11-5, I could also see 9-7 pretty easy, too.  It's very unlikely, but I could also see them completely imploding and losing the division.  There's enough football left to play, especially against the Eagles.  

At least it won't be boring.  But I think the Texans come in this weekend and dismantle us. 

I think the word to describe the Redskins this year is the word 'Psychotic'.

For quite a long time, back to the 05' season where the offense had troubles scoring TDs for the first few weeks, then finally came out of their shells with the 2 bombs to beat Dallas on Monday night in the last minutes. The defense was playing pretty good and carried the offense for awhile until they caught up.

Fast forward to this year, and we're seeing the same thing; the team wins are dependent on how the defense plays, while the offense puts up enough points to keep the scoreboard guy from falling asleep.

But we've been in this position before, so we know how to handle it; who am I kidding? We've NEVER been in a predicament like this! 

We know the defense is playing far above expectations, sans Saints Falcons and Colts, but they've went up against some scrub teams but some that are eye openers as well, like the Panthers.

Playoff talk is building, but total collapse and missing the playoffs is still not reached the backs of many minds yet, its still mid-brain but not at the forefront.

If there is a total collapse, it would not be a stretch to say Gruden would be canned, and who knows about FO personnel. He is having a huge problem with not being able to game plan second half of games to put points on the board except with FGs and a TD every 3 games, but that is nowhere near good enough to make any noise in the playoffs, IF they reach that plateau, but if they do it will most likely garner a contract renewal or extension at the very least, and then what? More of the same? Will he get better players on offense next year?  One thing many of us can agree on, and that's the defense will not be able to carry this team alone. It is an unusual feeling being in first place especially this late in the season, and having a 2 game lead on the competition, and that very lead could be giving some complacency, and that is usually followed by a humiliating and demoralizing loss, which would have ES on fire.

It's not about team spirit but more about evaluating the current state of the Redskins.  Decimated OL, bad offense, and a history the precludes everyone in the NFL from expecting anything different then what they've historically done until proven otherwise.  I'd be happy to be wrong, but it's just my perception.

It was a joke.

Just now, Spaceman Spiff said:

Again, it just depends.  I could see 11-5, I could also see 9-7 pretty easy, too.  It's very unlikely, but I could also see them completely imploding and losing the division.  There's enough football left to play, especially against the Eagles.  

At least it won't be boring.  But I think the Texans come in this weekend and dismantle us. 

Yeah, I'm with you here man. I can absolutely see us losing out, easier than winning out. Redskins gonna Redskins after all. I just think maybe, just maybe, we might have turned a corner.

While I’m firmly in what most fans here would call the negative side, as far as the ceiling of the team, I honestly don’t see another loss on the schedule.  Of course they won’t win them all, but this is the easiest looking stretch of football I can remember.  I really expected the Eagles to get it going, not to challenge for a Super Bowl again, but the division.  Watching them lose at home to Dallas by a touchdown changed all that for me.  I really have no fear about this Houston game either, even though they can stop the run.  I was thinking the injuries at G would have more impact than they appeared to have.  Perhaps that Bucs Dline is just washed, who knows.

22 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

It was a joke.

Yeah, I'm with you here man. I can absolutely see us losing out, easier than winning out. Redskins gonna Redskins after all. I just think maybe, just maybe, we might have turned a corner.

I said it before, and I'd say that I'm in this camp...but I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop.  Even if we get to the playoffs this year, can we do it again next year?  We haven't been able to string back to back winning seasons together.  We've had years like this before, winning the division or making a playoffs and it just never carries over.  

I said it before, and I'd say that I'm in this camp...but I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop.  Even if we get to the playoffs this year, can we do it again next year?  We haven't been able to string back to back winning seasons together.  We've had years like this before, winning the division or making a playoffs and it just never carries over.  

I’m with you.  My biggest fear is this season is some type of vindication for Bruce discouraging Dan from making any changes.  Then of course, things shake out differently next season, 6-10, back to the drawing board.  I’d rather the FO get figured out, as in Bruce gone, Smith elevated this offseason.

22 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Watching the Tampa game up close, the secondary might scare me a little more than the O line.   It just looked like a lot of confusion back there. You can see that guys didn't even get lined up in time -- teams seem to go hurry up against them -- you can see why if you watch the secondary before the snap. 

Stroman had that big play which was great.  But I can see D. Jax signal to Fitzpatrick every time Stroman was on him with no help, Fitzpatrick just about every time would throw it to D. Jax and get a completion.  Fitzpatrick ultimately imploded but they still marched the ball up and down the field, 6 times into the red zone, and 500 yards, which is insane.  NO and Atlanta exposed the pass defense, too. D. Johnson was constantly exposed.

Some talk about Alex can't keep up in a shoot out.  That looks to be true.  But I think the other layer to this is can our pass defense shut down an explosive passing attack?  That's my most pessimistic view. 

My most optimistic is I gather the defense would look better if they can get Dunbar back.  The defense aside from Dunbar has been remarkably healthy.  You'd figure a YAC dependent QB will play better once Crowder, Quinn, Thompson returns.   The schedule still looks soft.  But all the games remaining have a vibe that they can go one way or another.  Close games.   I think the next two games are the hardest -- Texans can be explosive and then Dallas on a short week.  

My other optimistic bent is the team is built for cold weather football -- Adrian Peterson and a stout D line that can stop the run.  Only disclaimer on that point is sometimes they have a bad game on that front. 

5 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I get being worried, but why let that get in the way of enjoying this ride?   Are you saying you'd be more comfortable with this team if we were 3-6 right now because you wouldn't have elevated expectations for next season?  Before you can have back to back winning seasons... you have to have 1 winning season.  Before you can have sustained success... you need to have success.  It's gotta start somewhere... 

3 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

I get being worried, but why let that get in the way of enjoying this ride?   Are you saying you'd be more comfortable with this team if we were 3-6 right now because you wouldn't have elevated expectations for next season?  Before you can have back to back winning seasons... you have to have 1 winning season.  Before you can have sustained success... you need to have success.  It's gotta start somewhere... 

I think you’d be hard pressed to find anyone that really wants to lose.  But thinking about it from the perspective that just a few things shake differently and the 6-3 is 3-6, you still feel good about some of the parts, but know change in the FO is coming.  Let said change make the decisions for how to take the team from the cusp of success to the next level.

Took us a few years to sticks around. 500. Now I think we might have a chance to stay on top of that, but I agree. Who knows. I'm just more optimistic than most I guess.

I think one of the reasons I'm optimistic, is because I like the style of football we play. It feels sustainable and not fluky. The RG3 year, was fun, but fluky. KC1 was exciting, but we couldn't hold leads or stop anyone or run a clock out.

I like never giving up a 3 point lead all game and a defense that gets stronger in the 4rth. 

We've got some enormous holes and the blueprint to beat us is obvious, but here we are. Atop the east in control with players who believe in it too.

Next offseason is going to be big, because we're close.

13 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

I'm enjoying this ride, it's nice to be up in the division.  I just don't think this is a very good team.  As I've said before, it's the best of a bad bunch.  

4 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I think you’d be hard pressed to find anyone that really wants to lose.  But thinking about it from the perspective that just a few things shake differently and the 6-3 is 3-6, you still feel good about some of the parts, but know change in the FO is coming.  Let said change make the decisions for how to take the team from the cusp of success to the next level.

I get it, I don't think anyone wants to lose.  I do think people are uncomfortable getting truly invested and excited, because they have ZERO idea that it's going to lead to anything.  That it would almost hurt less, if they didn't get us to this point to begin with.  Can Alex sustain success in the playoffs?  Don't know... his track record aint great, but he also had Andy Reid as his HC.... who was the king of flaming out in the playoffs.. Can this offense hang with a NFC power? LIkely not.. but I'd still love to see them try.  Can this defense contain Brees, Goff, or Ryan?  Doubtful, but I didnt think the Giants would beat the 18 - 0 Pats in the SB.  I didn't think the Eagles would do anything last year with all their injuries.... 

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I think one of the reasons I'm optimistic, is because I like the style of football we play. It feels sustainable and not fluky. 

I think this is where we differ.  I see the way we are winning as sustainable to be average.  The 2017 Jags to me hit the ceiling for what this style of team is capable of, and I don’t even think we’re anywhere near as good as they were.  Not yet atleast.

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I think this is where we differ.  I see the way we are winning as sustainable to be average.  The 2017 Jags to me hit the ceiling for what this style of team is capable of, and I don’t even think we’re anywhere near as good as they were.  Not yet atleast.

I think that's fair and we'll find out.

23 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Our advantage there is that the majority of our talent is home grown, or developed here.  Even Brown and Foster have been in the system for a few years.  DJ appears to be here for a while, as well as all CBs not named Josh Norman.  The entire D-line is essentially home grown talent.  Jax was reliant heavily on free agents last year with only have drafted a couple themselves.  That feels more flash in the pan to me than what we have.  

Just now, OVCChairman said:

Our advantage there is that the majority of our talent is home grown, or developed here.  Even Brown and Foster have been in the system for a few years.  DJ appears to be here for a while, as well as all CBs not named Josh Norman.  The entire D-line is essentially home grown talent.  Jax was reliant heavily on free agents last year with only have drafted a couple themselves.  That feels more flash in the pan to me than what we have.  

I think we are at the point that you start thinking about better FA. Not the hole fillers, but actual competent additions. 

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I think we are at the point that you start thinking about better FA. Not the hole fillers, but actual competent additions. 

absolutely... I was just referring to why I think our particular position is different than Jax regarding the defense.  

I actually think this team has a very solid foundation to build upon, and with the right leadership, we could be a perennial contender.... 

9 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Yep, a serious addition or two like Jax when they signed Calais Campbell or how the Rams were aggressive this off season.  In the draft, I go back and forth on corner, pass rusher, explosive WR, TE, OG.

My most optimistic hope is maybe Cooper establishes himself at LG leaving that spot less desperate to fill.  I am a BPA guy and on that front, we probably have a good shot at a good pass rusher, CB.   Though I am intrigued at TE -- got some good possibilities likely right around the spot we pick, and love Marquise Brown at WR.   With Alex at the helm, Jay's been using more 3 TE sets.  Sprinkle seems to be used almost purely as a blocker.  Be intriguing to have a TE like Irv Smith who can do it all.

Archived