PleaseBlitz

2018-19 NCAA Basketball Thread

Just now, Destino said:

Va has 12 offensive rebounds vs Purdue’s 16 defensive rebounds.  

It's their Achilles heel.  They don't box out and the Porzingis wannabe learned to rebound from the Gortat school apparently.

It's the one thing holding them back I think.  Otherwise they could be a championship team.  This Carson Edwards performance is shades of Kemba Walker in 2011.

Can he keep it up for five more minutes?

Edwards has almost no stats other than scoring.  1 rebound.  1 turnover.  35 points.  lol

16 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

Who is that old Purdue fan they keep showing??? I have no audio

Former Purdue coach Gene Keady.

Why isn't flopping punished more harshly in all levels of basketball?

That was a bad one right there. Ejection, technical foul shot for the other team, and a suspension for the flopper.

6 minutes ago, Destino said:

Edwards has almost no stats other than scoring.  1 rebound.  1 turnover.  35 points.  lol

Off the glass...

Just now, TryTheBeal! said:

Off the glass...

The most evil shot in basketball.

What a game.  Feel for Purdue, that was a good team and they gave us one of the truly great tourney performances by Edwards.

• Like 1

Great game.  UVA survived a performance that usually kills an opponent.  42 points on just 25 shots by Edwards is crazy.  

Best game of the tournament so far. 

But what an awful play by Purdue coming out of the timeout. Why have Edwards give it up at all? UVA let him catch it, which I thought was a mistake. So a guy who was by far the best player on the court has the ball down 3, you want him shooting it. Just a stupid play there with a chance at the final 4 on the line. 

But it doesn't detract from what a great game that was. And Edwards was amazing all tournament and carried Purdue tonight. 

1 minute ago, Destino said:

Great game.  UVA survived a performance that usually kills an opponent.  42 points on just 25 shots by Edwards is crazy.   

I think depth and toughness on the glass was the difference.  UVA's rotation is deep in quality.  They can afford to play so aggressively and it wears opponents down.

This was a really good field.  I know people always want to see a bunch of upsets and potential Cindarellas, but chalk in the first two rounds makes for an infinitely better second weekend.

Out here in SoCal I will be representing my UVA hat the entire week.... glad this team made Final Four, and the entire Championship would be amazing....

• Thanks 1

I think Purdue needed to go to Trevion Williams some more tonight.  Should have gotten him more involved on the offensive end to get the ripple effect of effort on the glass, and should have considered playing him more over Eifert.  He's their only capable rebounder.  Haarms's soft ass was out there playing volley ball with rebounds and it really cost them.  It almost lost them the game against Tennessee and it lost them the game tonight.

Kind of bummed that two of the teams I'd enjoyed watching the most in this tourney lost tonight, but I also really enjoy watching the way UVA and TT defend.  It's refreshing to see that kind of toughness and effort.  And I've really enjoyed Culver's performances too.  I know it'd be a nightmare for most of the vast majority of the viewing public, but I wouldn't mind seeing these two teams meet up in the Final.

15 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I think depth and toughness on the glass was the difference.  UVA's rotation is deep in quality.  They can afford to play so aggressively and it wears opponents down.

This was a really good field.  I know people always want to see a bunch of upsets and potential Cindarellas, but chalk in the first two rounds makes for an infinitely better second weekend.

The offensive rebounds by UVA is what won the game. I know Purdue had a few late in regulation to take the lead, but over the course of the game, UVA was just killing it on the offensive boards and getting extra possessions. i know at one point it was a 12-3 advantage on offensive rebounds for UVA. The final was 17-8. I'd be curious as to what the second chance point totals were. 

I could only follow online... game was tied by intentional foul with intentional miss, o rebound and shot, right?

YouTubeTV better have saved this for me to watch...

7 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Hmmm...

They're a great team.  I've enjoyed watching the way play in the Bennett era, when I've caught their games.  Wouldn't mind seeing him get that championship to punctuate what a great job he's done building the program.  (Especially since it'd mean I'll win my bracket group because I'm the only one that picked them).

If they do manage to pull this off, then there is definitely going to be a 30 for 30 about it.  They had so much extra pressure on them this year after last year's first round debacle.  They stood tall and this is a team to be proud of.  Happy for Hoos fans.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Purdue fan here. Unbelievable game. The difference was UVA on the offensive glass.

Matt Painter got, and those players gave, every ounce they had in them. I really wanted a final four so that Painter would finally get the national recognition he deserves as one of the best coaches in the country (not just the B1G). They graduated four starters and still won (tied for) the B1G title. I love this year's team.

Edited by Stadium-Armory
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Stadium-Armory said:

Purdue fan here. Unbelievable game. The difference was UVA on the offensive glass.

Matt Painter got, and those players gave, every ounce they had in them. I really wanted a final four so that Painter would finally get the national recognition he deserves as one of the best coaches in the country (not just the B1G). They graduated four starters and still won (tied for) the B1G title. I love this year's team.

Sorry man.  That game was an absolute roller coaster.  Not sure I’ve ever seen anything like Edwards’s game tonight.  Would’ve been great if both Tony and Painter could’ve made the F4.  

• Thanks 1