KillBill26

Safety Clinton Dix to the skins

Recommended Posts

He may not be elite but he's still at the worst a good Safety and upgrades us big time from Nicholson who has been bad this year.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He cost a 4th, yet we get a 4th if he walks?  Way to go Doug!  We can't lose. 

 

Well, I am sure we can and will, but as long as he knows his responsibilities on each play, we should be good.  Is he going to start on Sunday?  I am thinking an early INT is in order. My idea, maybe Manusky gives him an easy job and lets him roam so he can't screw up and blow a coverage. Stephen Ball Hawkin. Like your first day on your new job.

Edited by RandyHolt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From his press conference you could see the guy is a pro. This is his 5th year. He's been around and had great success. Excited for what he can bring to the table for us. We got a keeper. I expect us to resign him. I don't think we traded for him to let him walk, I really dont. just a feeling. #httr lets get this W on Sunday and really start to turn heads..Hard Work is Undefeated!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

He cost a 4th, yet we get a 4th if he walks?  Way to go Doug!  We can't lose. 

 

Well, I am sure we can and will, but as long as he knows his responsibilities on each play, we should be good.  Is he going to start on Sunday?  I am thinking an early INT is in order. My idea, maybe Manusky gives him an easy job and lets him roam so he can't screw up and blow a coverage. Stephen Ball Hawkin. Like your first day on your new job.

 

Are we certain of this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

 

Are we certain of this?

 

 

It's likely but nobody is certain of anything regarding compensatory picks.  I would imagine that if we don't sign him, we're likely not going to sign anyone for a bigger contract than he would have gotten.  I don't think it would be quite a 4th... maybe a 5th?   It also wouldn't be until the following draft, so we would go from 4th round in 2019 for 5th round 2020.

 

All speculation. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, crabbypatty said:

 

that's a misconception, and it being perpetuated, especially here of all places, irks me to no end.

Taylor would have been just fine with today's rules. He NEVER hit with his helmet. He always lead with the shoulder.. HARD.

Go watch any video of his you can find. I guarantee you won't see any helmet to helmet hits from him. His hits looked devastating because he was a naturally hard hitter, but he never used his head/helmet.

 

 

 

I cannot prove a negative but I can point out that right or wrong, shoulder hits are still called every week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Clinton-Dix >>> Apke

 

Only used this comparison because that was our 4th round pick this year. Great value trade for the Skins. Great trade. 

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with Mcqueen’s take that Dix is a good, but not elite safety. I think that is still a major addition and a steal for a 4th round pick, especially if we can get him resigned. 

 

Nicholson has taken a step backward. Beyond that, he’s always hurt. He’s a bit less fragile than Chris Thomson has been for the past two years. I love that we don’t have any unreliable/oft injured players as cogs in the defense. That’s one of the major problems holding back the offense. I actually think our offense would be average or slightly above if Chris Thompson could ever get and stay healthy.

 

Also, I feel like we’ve been able to mount at least adequate pressure out of our 3 and 4 man fronts, without blitzing. I don’t think we are good enough of a pass rushing team to disrupt an elite offense like NO etc. I hope that having someone solid back there allows us to blitz a little more often, at least in key situations. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope Clinton-Dix can play some CB because Stroman being asked to cover a #1 WR is such a mismatch.  Hopefully Dunbar is on the mend and Norman, Dunbar, and Clinton-Dix is the #1, 2, and 3 CB combo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, SAli457180 said:

I hope Clinton-Dix can play some CB because Stroman being asked to cover a #1 WR is such a mismatch.  Hopefully Dunbar is on the mend and Norman, Dunbar, and Clinton-Dix is the #1, 2, and 3 CB combo

 

 

I'd lean more towards Fabian being the  no. 3 in passing situations.. Running a 4-2-5 alignment with DJ / Haha over the top.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're not bringing in Haha to play CB... he's a centerfield FS and one of the best in the league.... Having them back there allows Norman/Dunny/Moreau to excel down low.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Anselmheifer said:

I agree with Mcqueen’s take that Dix is a good, but not elite safety. I think that is still a major addition and a steal for a 4th round pick, especially if we can get him resigned. 

 

Nicholson has taken a step backward. Beyond that, he’s always hurt. He’s a bit less fragile than Chris Thomson has been for the past two years. I love that we don’t have any unreliable/oft injured players as cogs in the defense. That’s one of the major problems holding back the offense. I actually think our offense would be average or slightly above if Chris Thompson could ever get and stay healthy.

 

Also, I feel like we’ve been able to mount at least adequate pressure out of our 3 and 4 man fronts, without blitzing. I don’t think we are good enough of a pass rushing team to disrupt an elite offense like NO etc. I hope that having someone solid back there allows us to blitz a little more often, at least in key situations. 

 

Can you please provide as to why you feel this way? Genuinely interested. 

1 hour ago, SAli457180 said:

I hope Clinton-Dix can play some CB because Stroman being asked to cover a #1 WR is such a mismatch.  Hopefully Dunbar is on the mend and Norman, Dunbar, and Clinton-Dix is the #1, 2, and 3 CB combo

 

First you do not bring in a top FS to play CB, especially when your actual need is a FS.

 

Stroman is a couple games in as a starter in his rookie year. Has he made some mistakes? Of course. But you can't get better watching. He has also made some really nice plays that people seem to conveniently forget. 

 

Not directed at anyone in particular - more a general statement: 

 

Really not sure how anyone can see any down side on this trade unless it's just to complain. Not being ugly here but let's be honest, while I can't stand Bruce Allen, when he does something right - and yes he gets credit for this regardless of how it happened as he has the guy in charge - you have to able to give him credit or it becomes clear you are purely agenda driven and not willing to be even handed in the analysis. 

 

This trade is one of the better ones Bruce has been a part of since the day he started. Huge upside with very little risk or down side. This should make what is already a solid D even better. If he doesn't, **** does not always work out. But that does not make it a bad move. Means it just didn't work out. 

 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve watched pretty much every video of Ha Ha joining the redskins, he legit sounds super excited to be here. I can’t wait to see him back there with DJ, sign him to a 10 year deal immediately. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, SkinsNoles21 said:

 

 

Clay Matthews has to be massively overrated at this point.

No way. Still the hottest man on an NFL field. ?

Edit, add"

Since Eric Decker retired...

Edited by skinsmarydu
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, goskins10 said:

 

Really not sure how anyone can see any down side on this trade unless it's just to complain. Not being ugly here but let's be honest, while I can't stand Bruce Allen, when he does something right - and yes he gets credit for this regardless of how it happened as he has the guy in charge - you have to able to give him credit or it becomes clear you are purely agenda driven and not willing to be even handed in the analysis. 

Amen.  I've been saying this for awhile.  If the skins make a bad move, it's "fire Bruce".  If a good move is made, Bruce is never going to get any credit.  I'm not a Bruce Allen fan either, but if you attribute bad moves to Bruce, it only makes sense that you attribute good moves to Bruce.  To actually believe he only calls the shots on the mistakes and not the successes is foolish. 

 

I was saying this all off-season, that as much heat as Bruce Allen gets for his inability to build a winner, would he get credit for what I was calling a front seven on the verge of being elite.  Or Dan snyder getting credit for getting out of the way and letting a winner be built the right way.  Some people will never give any credit towards them, but will ridicule their every misstep to no end.  Not very objective analysis to say the least.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

THe real question is will this help or provide more confusion in the secondary?  Or will it expose Norman or whoever keeps occasionally blowing coverages?

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, max21 said:

I’ve watched pretty much every video of Ha Ha joining the redskins, he legit sounds super excited to be here. I can’t wait to see him back there with DJ, sign him to a 10 year deal immediately. 

If all goes well..maybe a 3 or 4 year deal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, goskins10 said:

 

This trade is one of the better ones Bruce has been a part of since the day he started. Huge upside with very little risk or down side. This should make what is already a solid D even better. If he doesn't, **** does not always work out. But that does not make it a bad move. Means it just didn't work out. 

 

 

I am one of the Bruce critics here.  But I've been relatively good at praising good moves, criticizing bad moves.  It's been easy because I typically spell out who I want in FA so if they pursue and sign him, great.  If not and I don't like the player, I'll say so.

 

But I've made the point for a long time that I don't think Bruce is making the calls on any player.  I don't get the impression even a little that Bruce is identifying a single target whether its the draft or FA.   I spelled out what I think he does on the Bruce thread. I think he's so so at his job and my issue with him is very personality driven.  But the FO seems to have good people working there especially on the college scouting side.  

 

But to this trade specifically, I like it.  And I like the philosophy behind it.  My issue on the aggregate with trade and FA signings is they don't shoot for the fences enough and instead work from the shallow end of the pool and hope to get lucky.  I am not a Vinny guy where I love trading picks or shooting big all the time.  But If I am shooting, I like to shoot big more than they do.  HaHa Clinton Dix if he is at his best is a prime player.   It's shooting big.  And I like it. 

 

Chris Russell said Kyle Smith pushed this but who knows .  The Alabama connection is getting intense.  Heck it got my son into Alabama and i even went to one of their games this year because of it.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, hawgboy said:

 

I cannot prove a negative but I can point out that right or wrong, shoulder hits are still called every week.

There is some truth to that but I think that ST was an elite enough athlete that he could have and would have adapted his game to play within the rules.

 

I have been looking for this play for a while, the dude out jumps Moss then bats the ball away while they're falling to the ground.  He made a ton of incredible hits and plays but this along with the Jeremy Shockey coverage going to the end zone always just amazed me with his athleticism.  

 

 

Edited by redskns21

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Chris Russell said Kyle Smith pushed this but who knows .  The Alabama connection is getting intense.  Heck it got my son into Alabama and i even went to one of their games this year because of it.  

3

 

I heard on either Sheehan's podcast or Galdi's podcast--can't remember which--that Gruden (I think) wanted HHCD and that Bruce went and got him, or words to that effect. Might have been Cooley who said it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

 

I am one of the Bruce critics here.  But I've been relatively good at praising good moves, criticizing bad moves.  It's been easy because I typically spell out who I want in FA so if they pursue and sign him, great.  If not and I don't like the player, I'll say so.

 

But I've made the point for a long time that I don't think Bruce is making the calls on any player.  I don't get the impression even a little that Bruce is identifying a single target whether its the draft or FA.   I spelled out what I think he does on the Bruce thread. I think he's so so at his job and my issue with him is very personality driven.  But the FO seems to have good people working there especially on the college scouting side.  

 

But to this trade specifically, I like it.  And I like the philosophy behind it.  My issue on the aggregate with trade and FA signings is they don't shoot for the fences enough and instead work from the shallow end of the pool and hope to get lucky.  I am not a Vinny guy where I love trading picks or shooting big all the time.  But If I am shooting, I like to shoot big more than they do.  HaHa Clinton Dix if he is at his best is a prime player.   It's shooting big.  And I like it. 

 

Chris Russell said Kyle Smith pushed this but who knows .  The Alabama connection is getting intense.  Heck it got my son into Alabama and i even went to one of their games this year because of it.  

 

Its Not Allen ... 

 

Its Kyle Smith & Doug Williams with a sprinkle of Jay Gruden. Im sure there are other front office staff we dont know about as well. 

 

For all the deserved hate that Allen gets, people have kind of ignored that Kyle Smith was dubbed the "Sean McVay of Front Office" and Skins dont want to let him get away like they did McVay. 

Edited by SkinsNoles21
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

 

 

It's likely but nobody is certain of anything regarding compensatory picks.  I would imagine that if we don't sign him, we're likely not going to sign anyone for a bigger contract than he would have gotten.  I don't think it would be quite a 4th... maybe a 5th?   It also wouldn't be until the following draft, so we would go from 4th round in 2019 for 5th round 2020.

 

All speculation. 

If he balls out and gels with DJ and this defense you can RFA tag him and that salary is going to be like 9M range. If he signs it, you get another run with the D intact for 2020...if someone else signs him then the Skins get a 1-st round pick.  Otherwise you pick up a comp pick next year.  Excellent trade...just have to see how it plays out.

2 hours ago, JRobinson said:

Man. Y’all looking mighty tough right now boys. Best of luck this week!

You just want them to beat the Falcons.  ???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Veretax said:

THe real question is will this help or provide more confusion in the secondary?  Or will it expose Norman or whoever keeps occasionally blowing coverages?

Every DB in the NFL experiences blown overages. The fact is that Norman is trending up and he's not been getting targeted.  Before everyone starts jumping on the JNorman sucks bandwagon, it's really all things considered.  I agree that he was trending down through last season, however he's been ballin lately and definitely NOT blowing any overages.  If you subtract JNorman, this defense takes a deep hit week on week.  I temper my criticism of Norman now, after looking at all things considered.  Cheers!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.