Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Safety Clinton Dix to the skins

KillBill26

3 hours ago, Morneblade said:

Mostly because I think, even with HHCD, this team is still a couple pieces shy of a real run this year. If you go in thinking you can resign, I'm good with it. If not, I think it's a bit of a wasted effort, because this is not a SB caliber team yet. So, you loose him, loose a pick and then you're putting Nicholson out there again, and not 4th rounder next year.

This is no knock on him as a player. He's good, and worth getting a LTD. I'm just not much on 9 game rentals for a playoff run that doesn't have the horses to go that far.

I could not disagree more. Not in terms of being a SB team. But then again who thought Philly was s SB  team last year.  

I think you are over valuing a 4 th rd draft pick. If they sent multiple picks or even kind a 2nd or 1st ok. 

I do not see this as the team making a splash on some big name player at a huge expense to get to the SB. This an incremental move to get better. and you are not completely out a draft pick. If you don’t resign him you get a comp pick back. 

So.....Alex Smith ain’t playing the greatest BUT for a team that has lacked serious talent in the past....we are now starting TEN first round picks. 

Smith

Peterson

Williams

Scherff

Doctson

Davis

Allen

Payne

Kerrigan

Clinton Dix

Some are obviously a little long in the tooth and no longer in their prime but still. Definitely feels like we have some talent around the roster on this team. 

1 hour ago, Stefanskins said:

are we sure about that?

i need to quit drinkin....eventually...

Not sure I understand the last part. But if you are asking if I am sure we will get a comp pick, no. Lot's of moving parts. But it's very likely. Even if not, I am still OK with it. Just making the point that we cannot assume it's a completely lost draft pick if they do not resign him long term. 

So I am Ok if it's just this season. I prefer a long term deal be made, but for me that's a bonus. 

1 hour ago, skinsmarydu said:

I have a coworker who said that Dix would blow coverage Sunday and get burned at least once by the Falcons, said he'd bet me a dollar. 

Coach him up, Manusky...I took the bet. ?

Im sure he will get beat. Do people not watch and understand the NFL these days? Yes, he will get beat ... 

But that Packers fan hasn't watched our safety situation the past ... IDK decade.

5 minutes ago, SkinsNoles21 said:

Im sure he will get beat. Do people not watch and understand the NFL these days? Yes, he will get beat ... 

But that Packers fan hasn't watched our safety situation the past ... IDK decade.

I can't agree more.... guys get beat on plays.  It happens.  Nobody is going to be perfect 100% of the time.  

2 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

I'm in ATL, he's a Falcons fan...one of the nicer ones...most of them are absolutely awful people. ?

Also, is it just me or has anyone else been watching the Packers defense for the past 5+ years wondering why it isn't better? 

Clay Matthews has to be massively overrated at this point.

I don't think Ha Ha Clinton Dix is an elite safety.  I'm not a fan of PFF, and I'm not sure most on here are interpreting their grading and analysis properly anyway.  Saying something like he's the second best safety in the league and is therefor an elite player seems outlandish.  I think he's a good safety but he is quite a ways off from being at the level that Harrison Smith and Earl Thomas and Eric Weddle reached in the past.

My take on Clinton Dix is that he does most of the aspects of the safety position well, but that he's not really great at any of them.  Best attributes are his arm length and height.  Good hands and ball skills and body control but not something that blows you away.  Good in single coverage but not a glove.  Good footwork but it's mechanical and not fluid like the elite athletes at the position. Good open field tackler who is disciplined about breaking down and is capable of reaching the outside hip of ball carriers, but not a powerful striker who is going to scare anyone.  Good motor and good at reading plays and sussing out routes--smart player.  But he's not going to play with bloodthirst at the position like Searinger does.  And like Landry and Sean Taylor did.  There is a reason he never misses snaps, and I understand where some of the complaints about his physicality from Green Bay people are coming from.  He's tough but he just looks slowed down when playing in traffic in the box and he doesn't really pack a lot of punch on his hits.  And he's not going to shuck many good blocks or hit his run fits with true physicality.  His functional power just isn't that impressive.  He is much more of a coverage guy.  TBH, it looks like his communication skills are the strongest thing he brings to the table.  He's a definite talker.

He's like the Ryan Kerrigan of the safety position.  A good and reliable player who will create big plays from time to time while playing assignment ball with good fundamentals.  Doesn't really take anything off the table.  A good team player who should thrive in a traditional single high and slot coverage role in our defense.   He's going to help us be more consistent in coverage and with tackling at the second level.  But I don't think he's going to blow us away.

That said, there will be an adjustment period for him and it would be natural for him to make mistakes early on.  But he's also a talker who I think will get on the same page as the other guys in the secondary fairly quickly.

7 hours ago, Morneblade said:

Mostly because I think, even with HHCD, this team is still a couple pieces shy of a real run this year. If you go in thinking you can resign, I'm good with it. If not, I think it's a bit of a wasted effort, because this is not a SB caliber team yet. So, you loose him, loose a pick and then you're putting Nicholson out there again, and not 4th rounder next year.

This is no knock on him as a player. He's good, and worth getting a LTD. I'm just not much on 9 game rentals for a playoff run that doesn't have the horses to go that far.

Brotherman, listen to @goskins10. You're saying that your main issue is that he may be a 9 game rental. First off, he may not be, who knows if we re-sign him. Secondly, and more to your point, if he walks then we will receive a 4th round comp pick in the following draft. We have less than $20M in available cap space after this season so I don't see his departure being cancelled out by an acquisition. 

I know this isn't uncommon for you, but I'm disappointed in your negativity. If another team pulled off this trade, I'm sure that you would be one of the first to criticize this FO for not making it. This is as much of a win-win as possible, I'm blown away that anyone has a negative take on this, especially a Redskin fan. 

1 hour ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

Pretty crazy to now have two safeties on our squad who idolize ST with one wearing his old number, and the other taking a single step down to #20 out of respect. 

Couldn't ask for a better scenario.  Ready to see the #FlightMarshalls ball out the rest of the way. 

Hail. 

Sean is a legend, how fortunate we were to have him here in B&G. Not only for his highlight reel material, but also for the fact that so many players welcome coming to DC because they get to play where Sean did. 

3 hours ago, Burgold said:

Swearinger and Clinton-Dix could form an amazing safety tandem. Both are huge Sean Taylor fans, but both can't be Sean. The question then becomes does anyone want to be Laron Landry? :Silly:

40 Yard dashes- Sean was 4.51. Landry was 4.35 vs Dix is 4.58 and DJ is 4.67

Sean/DJ- Free Safety requiring more range but BOTH were slower???

Being Laron was a FAST muther

I always thought the FS was the fasted position on D. IS it in fact SS the position that requires more speed for Blitzing and running down RB's at the LOS?  (I just read the Dix will play FS and DJ move to SS- Makes sense if that is the case)

Paper just gave me the answer

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/oct/31/dj-swearinger-ha-ha-clinton-dix-pairing-i-dont-thi/

3 minutes ago, CTskin said:

I know this isn't uncommon for you, but I'm disappointed in your negativity. If another team pulled off this trade, I'm sure that you would be one of the first to criticize this FO for not making it. This is as much of a win-win as possible, I'm blown away that anyone has a negative take on this, especially a Redskin fan.  

I don't think it's crazy to have a negative take.  I don't think it's as devoid of risk as people are assuming.  He could certainly bust here.  He could certainly walk this offseason and we receive no compensatory selection due to FA spending.  Either of those outcomes means we wasted a fourth round pick.

But I think the risk was worth taking.  He's been a good player in the past and he's been durable and seems to have a natural role in our defense.  He's 25 and thus young enough to be worth keeping in the offseason if he demonstrates a good fit.  And he fills a need for depth at the safety position which was a potential point of failure.

4 minutes ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

I always thought the FS was the fasted position on D. IS it in fact SS the position that requires more speed for Blitzing and running down RB's at the LOS?

Anybody know ?

Weird. Laron certainly never played that fast.

Just now, stevemcqueen1 said:

I don't think it's crazy to have a negative take.  I don't think it's as devoid of risk as people are assuming.  He could certainly bust here.  He could certainly walk this offseason and we receive no compensatory selection due to FA spending.  Either of those outcomes means we wasted a fourth round pick.

But I think the risk was worth taking.  He's been a good player in the past and he's been durable and seems to have a natural role in our defense.  He's 25 and thus young enough to be worth keeping in the offseason if he demonstrates a good fit.  And he fills a need for depth at the safety position which was a potential point of failure.

I just read your previous post where you state that he's not as good as Weddle, Smith, Thomas, and I agree. But I think it's safe to say he's top 10,in or around the top 5. If this is the case, why on this green earth would anyone default to assuming that he will come here and bust? We just received a top tier talent and the thought is that this is a wasted draft pick? It's a conclusion that I can't wrap my head around. Again, if he walks, we will receive a comp pick. So "the wasted draft pick" argument is baseless. 

General consensus- the Amari trade was bashed, the Tate trade was applauded, the Dix trade was a standing ovation. Some people just refuse to draw joy from the Redskins even when it's staring them right in the face.

2 minutes ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

I always thought the FS was the fasted position on D. IS it in fact SS the position that requires more speed for Blitzing and running down RB's at the LOS? 

Anybody know ? 

A lot goes into 40 yard dash times.  There is an art to running the 40 and it wouldn't surprise me if Sean was not that good at running them.  He was a football player, not a track athlete.  LaRon was clearly good at running them though.  And he was super fast.

Both were way faster than Clinton Dix and Swearinger.  They were elite top end athletes at the position.

There is also a lot that goes into playing fast in coverage.  First off you have to process reads quickly to play fast.  And you have to run with clean footwork.  There is hip flexibility that effects your play speed.  There is muscle twitch that effects it.  There is your ability to change directions without gathering yourself up.  There is the length of your stride when you're running in the open field.  The 40 captures some of the elements of play speed but not all of them.  And you can **** up a 40 and look slow even though you're not.  The biggest way you can **** it up is by not having proper balance out of your stance and not driving enough before you stand up.  I remember that's what happened with Joe Haden back in 2010 and he ran a 4.5+ even though he was real fast on the field.  It wouldn't shock me if Sean ran a crap 40.  Combine preparation wasn't nearly as good in 2004 as it is now.

8 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Weird. Laron certainly never played that fast.

I think your memory of him is negatively colored by the disappointing way his career ended for us.  LaRon was an absolute burner.  He was a heat seeking missile when he was running the alley or blitzing.  He had huge range.

3 minutes ago, CTskin said:

Some people just refuse to draw joy from the Redskins even when it's staring them right in the face.

Not taking a side, as personally I like the trade.

But sometimes folks just simply disagree.  And on the contrary some folks manufacture joy about every move the Redskins make, at least initially.

14 hours ago, hawgboy said:

Was he? We’ll never know for sure, but let’s be honest, if Sean Taylor had lived, he likely would have had difficulty adjusting to today’s offense friendly rules. Him and James Harrison would have had an ongoing contest to see who would draw more fines.

that's a misconception, and it being perpetuated, especially here of all places, irks me to no end.

Taylor would have been just fine with today's rules. He NEVER hit with his helmet. He always lead with the shoulder.. HARD.

Go watch any video of his you can find. I guarantee you won't see any helmet to helmet hits from him. His hits looked devastating because he was a naturally hard hitter, but he never used his head/helmet.

4 minutes ago, CTskin said:

I just read your previous post where you state that he's not as good as Weddle, Smith, Thomas, and I agree. But I think it's safe to say he's top 10,in or around the top 5. If this is the case, why on this green earth would anyone default to assuming that he will come here and bust? We just received a top tier talent and the thought is that this is a wasted draft pick? It's a conclusion that I can't wrap my head around. Again, if he walks, we will receive a comp pick. So "the wasted draft pick" argument is baseless.  

Because anyone can bust, especially when trying to make a mid season scheme change.  Not to mention secondary play relies on establishing chemistry and trust with your other second level defenders, and he's got a whole new set of teammates to adjust to.  He doesn't have the benefit of an offseason to get adjusted to the area, to the team, to the coaching staff, to the playbook, and to his new teammates.  It's hard.

And we are not necessarily going to get a comp pick for him if he walks.

- He could bust and not command a salary big enough to get compensation for.

- We could spend money in free agency and lose the comp pick.

This move was not devoid of risk.  There is no need to pretend like it was in order to justify the trade.

7 minutes ago, CTskin said:

General consensus- the Amari trade was bashed, the Tate trade was applauded, the Dix trade was a standing ovation. Some people just refuse to draw joy from the Redskins even when it's staring them right in the face.

As for whether or not he's elite, I don't think it matters. I don't care frankly if he's as good as Weddle, Smith, or Thomas. What matters is whether or not our secondary is significantly improved by this move and based on what I've read about Clinton-Dix, it seems like we have. Personally, I was concerned about our pass D going into this week's game against Atlanta (based on how we did against pass-heavy teams like IND and NO) and am now feeling a bit more confident.

Concerning the risk of the trade and the loss of the 4th rounder, I think if we were to net add FA in this offseason, we would offset the loss of Clinton-Dix and not get the compensatory pick, but that is a hypothetical of course.

3 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Not taking a side, as personally I like the trade.

But sometimes folks just simply disagree.  And on the contrary some folks manufacture joy about every move the Redskins make, at least initially.

Well those folks are idiots. Kidding. I just truly don't understand the negative side of it. We got a top tier S who has never missed a game in his career for a mid-round pick, which we'll receive in the following draft if he walks. We'll have first dibs at re-signing him after the season and the initial reaction by the Skins players and Ha Ha is mutual elation. We replaced the one weak link on defense with a bonafide stud and this already strong unit just got a shot in the arm. I literally can't think of a negative. 

I'm a broken record so I'll abandon this thread. HTTR.

7 hours ago, JPG said:

Though I don’t believe we have the best secondary in the league. I do like the way it’s coming together. 

I also don’t agree with @Morneblade and the pessimistic attitude that most have towards our offense. I think you’ll definitely see the offense open up more over time but we’d be fools to mess with this winning remedy.

Are people really forgetting how much we have dominated the Rams up front? We ran all over them without AP. Saints are the only team in the NFC I’m worried about come playoff time.

That was a very different team. The Rams now can beat anyone.

Archived