Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Safety Clinton Dix to the skins

KillBill26

On 10/30/2018 at 3:59 PM, stevemcqueen1 said:

I like that he can single cover slot receivers, including tight ends.

Lets not forget that he was able to make a play against probably the shiftiest TE in the league (Jordan Reed). I've mentioned before that this move is not an indictment on Montae. Its more about being able to cover these 12 personnel/RPO offenses with TEs that play like wideouts, shifty slot rece. Now beyond this year, I don't know. That's for the front office to work out. And to that, they're doing a pretty good job IMO.

48 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Definitely.  I would say we are better than Carolina and Dallas.  Probably put us around 8 or 9.  But we have a weak offense that can't come back from deficits and is very reliant on a 33 year old RB with a dislocated shoulder and two pretty serious leg injuries in his history.  And we definitely aren't the same team on the road.

I would put our defense against anyone's though.  And our OL is good and they can control the line of scrimmage against most opponents.  That means we've always got a chance.

My only caveat to this is that defense travels. As long as we can run it, we will be in most games. 

9 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

There's definitely truth behind this 

Man, I’ve been preaching all these years that you have to stop fanboying some of these guys just because they’re Redskins.  Trent Murphy?  Let him walk.  Take the comp. pick.  Chris Baker?  Let the Bucs overpay.  Bashaud Breeland, let Carolina overpay.  Junior Galette goes on Twitter tirades? No thanks, don’t need you champ.   Get these comp. picks, draft new talent, upgrade units that stink.  Why would you be paying all of your guys on terrible units?  There were times it seemed Skins fans wanted every guy re-signed!  Insanity.  This new direction the FO has taken us such a fresh breath of air and I’m glad fans are starting to take heed.

41 minutes ago, TK said:

Numbers become free when you’re on IR. 

I didn’t know that.  I knew he was on IR but if Clinton-Dix wanted #29 Guice would just be out of luck or do they negotiate?

8 minutes ago, -JB- said:

Man, I’ve been preaching all these years that you have to stop fanboying some of these guys just because they’re Redskins.  Trent Murphy?  Let him walk.  Take the comp. pick.  Chris Baker?  Let the Bucs overpay.  Bashaud Breeland, let Carolina overpay.  Get these comp. picks, draft new talent, upgrade units that stink.  Why would you be paying all of your guys on terrible units?  There were times it seemed Skins fans wanted every guy re-signed!  Insanity.  This new direction the FO has taken us such a fresh breath of air and I’m glad fans are starting to take heed.

I think part of the reason the fans were like that was because of the previous ways of management where Free Agents were getting overpaid to come here. People thought doing the opposite would be good, but you should only re-sign pay top talents or glue players. Most of those guys put up good stats because our D was overall so bad, but their impact was limited and it was obvious. Baker was an okay player that had moments where he shined but he was already getting old when he finally came into his own, Breeland had his moments but was in his own head too frequently. 

The DL has officially changed our defense, and everything else is just piecing the puzzle together. HaHa is going to look fantastic in our Defense because QBs are going to be throwing a lot of bad passes because of them. 

This is a pretty extensive breakdown of Ha Ha's play so far this year. It was done by one of the local Green Bay beat guys.

He was also on the Grant show today if you want to listen to him but he doesn't get deep into the film on the podcast, he just kind of lays out the positives and negatives.

https://m.cheeseheadtv.com/blog/grading-the-pack-haha-clinton-dix-blake-martinez-bonus-film-review-506#comments-list

3 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

This is a pretty extensive breakdown of Ha Ha's play so far this year. It was done by one of the local Green Bay beat guys.

He was also on the Grant show today if you want to listen to him but he doesn't get deep into the film on the podcast, he just kind of lays out the positives and negatives.

https://m.cheeseheadtv.com/blog/grading-the-pack-haha-clinton-dix-blake-martinez-bonus-film-review-506#comments-list

Those comments are ridiculous though, every time I've seen us play GB HHCD has always stood out I thought. They act like the guy can't make a single mistake in the secondary, Green Bay never keeps their DBs and all of them seem to look better when they leave. I think half of it is attributed to him being surrounded by trash on their D. It can make a good player look worse than the are (See Norman, Josh). 

13 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I think part of the reason the fans were like that was because of the previous ways of management where Free Agents were getting overpaid to come here. People thought doing the opposite would be good, but you should only re-sign pay top talents or glue players. Most of those guys put up good stats because our D was overall so bad, but their impact was limited and it was obvious. Baker was an okay player that had moments where he shined but he was already getting old when he finally came into his own, Breeland had his moments but was in his own head too frequently. 

The DL has officially changed our defense, and everything else is just piecing the puzzle together. HaHa is going to look fantastic in our Defense because QBs are going to be throwing a lot of bad passes because of them. 

Exactly.  The DL become such a force up front is clearly going to allow the secondary, especially playmakers like DJ & Ha Ha shine and create havoc.  The see saw between making plays because of the pressure up front and also the DL getting to the QB because of tight coverage is going to be fun to watch.  

5 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Those comments are ridiculous though, every time I've seen us play GB HHCD has always stood out I thought. They act like the guy can't make a single mistake in the secondary, Green Bay never keeps their DBs and all of them seem to look better when they leave. I think half of it is attributed to him being surrounded by trash on their D. It can make a good player look worse than the are (See Norman, Josh). 

What fans don’t ask themselves enough is, so we have a decent D-Line?  Pass rush?  Because if you aren’t getting pressure up front the chances of your secondary giving up plays goes up exponentially.  Let’s be honest with ourselves.  As great as Ed Reed was, he clearly benefited from consistently playing behind good to great defensive fronts.  

16 minutes ago, Llevron said:

My only caveat to this is that defense travels. As long as we can run it, we will be in most games.  

Not to New Orleans apparently ?

That was a buzzsaw.  Hopefully that doesn't happen again.  But we're also lucky that the only two good offenses remaining that we have to face on the road are Philly and Tampa Bay.

3 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Dunno. For those first 7-8 ganes, Landry was superb in the role he was playing in Gregg Williams defense, as a blitzer, run defender, playing TE's, etc from what I remember, and even played well enough filling Taylor's spot as the season went on. Can't really explain what happened to him 2009 and onward, short of just inhuries, lack of discipline/commitment to film study (he seemed to do fine for a spell in Rex Ryan's defense in NY, which along with Grilliams, is of the Buddy Ryan mold). But he was a natural blitzing SS, and he and Taylor were dynamite.

Asking Landry to be Taylor ruined him, no doubt in my mind they stick together 10+ years in DC, easy.

2 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

That was a buzzsaw.  Hopefully that doesn't happen again.  But we're also lucky that the only two good offenses remaining that we have to face on the road are Philly and Tampa Bay.

This trade had something to do with that, absolutely.

3 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Dunno. For those first 7-8 ganes, Landry was superb in the role he was playing in Gregg Williams defense, as a blitzer, run defender, playing TE's, etc from what I remember, and even played well enough filling Taylor's spot as the season went on. Can't really explain what happened to him 2009 and onward, short of just inhuries, lack of discipline/commitment to film study (he seemed to do fine for a spell in Rex Ryan's defense in NY, which along with Grilliams, is of the Buddy Ryan mold). But he was a natural blitzing SS, and he and Taylor were dynamite.

Landry was absolutely tearing it up in 2010 as well, when he finally got moved back to SS. IIRC, he was in the conversation for defensive player of the year. Unfortunately, he was also tearing up his muscles, so that ended that.

Just now, stevemcqueen1 said:

Eh, you don't get better by cutting good players like Mason Foster just to open up 2 million.  Pushing quality depth out of backup spots into starting roles means you thin the unit out too.  And good as the kid is, he gets hurt.

Oh no, I agree. 2 mill ain't squat, especially for the production. I wouldn't dump Foster unless he got beat out. I was just answering the question. 

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

That was a come to Jesus moment for the defense though. 

Their first 2 or 3 drives were more because of stupidity than anything. 

- Drive 1 Josh Norman holding on 3rd and 4....TD

- Drive 2 Kerrigan sacks DB on 3rd and 8, but gets unnecessary roughness

- Drive 2 P. Smith Stops Brees on 3rd and 4, but Holding on Dunbar...TD

Now I'm not saying that we would have won that game but our mistakes causes things to get out of had rather quickly. Add to that the fact that SP doesn't sit on a lead and that DB was chasing history and it made for a good ol butt whipping

5 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

That was a come to Jesus moment for the defense though. 

Their first 2 or 3 drives were more because of stupidity than anything. 

- Drive 1 Josh Norman holding on 3rd and 4....TD

- Drive 2 Kerrigan sacks DB on 3rd and 8, but gets unnecessary roughness

- Drive 2 P. Smith Stops Brees on 3rd and 4, but Holding on Dunbar...TD

Now I'm not saying that we would have won that game but our mistakes causes things to get out of had rather quickly. Add to that the fact that SP doesn't sit on a lead and that DB was chasing history and it made for a good ol butt whipping

Agreed.  Beating New Orleans in the dome is difficult for any team, however those first three drives where the defense stops them on 3rd down, but a penalty extended the drive has to be pretty deflating.  Hard enough to stop them that offense as it is.  

6 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

That was our best game of the year on offense by far. I don't think we've gone over 24 points in any other game this season. That one we happened to get 31 somehow. 

The Panthers game you guys exploded early to a 17-0 lead. Was it cause you got conservative or a momentum change?

4 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Definitely.  I would say we are better than Carolina and Dallas.  Probably put us around 8 or 9.  But we have a weak offense that can't come back from deficits and is very reliant on a 33 year old RB with a dislocated shoulder and two pretty serious leg injuries in his history.  And we definitely aren't the same team on the road.

I would put our defense against anyone's though.  And our OL is good and they can control the line of scrimmage against most opponents.  That means we've always got a chance.

You guys have been tough at home too. Homefield advantage is huge for you guys.

2 hours ago, Morneblade said:

I'm warming up to this trade. I'll warm up more if we can re-sign him. Giving up a 4th for a 9 game rental would not sit well with me.

Why? I agree I would prefer to get him signed long term. But a 4th rd pick in 2019 and you likely get at least that back in 2020 in terms of a comp pick. That seems really really cheap. Especially if he solidifies the back end of the D for a stretch run. 

If he does he gets paid either by us or by someone else giving us a high comp pick. If he does not then he doesn't get paid and it didn't work out. But there are zero guarantees ever. This is really a very low risk high reward move. 

I really like the aggressiveness, Good teams do not just sit pat. If there an opportunity to potentially get better you take it. Sometime's it works out sometimes not. But it will never work out if you never take chances. 

As you can tell, I really like this move. I like the player. I like the position it addresses. I like the message it sends to the locker room and the rest of the league. Unlike many of the moves this team has made over say the last 20 yrs, this one is not just a publicity splash. HHD can play. He is also young and fills a need. I like that they are not afraid to look at making a strength a bigger strength. All this for a 4th rd draft pick next yr. Sign me up. I just do not see a problem even if ends up being a 9 gm rental.

Having said that, I would be very surprised if they did this with no intention of signing him long term. But even if they do not, I am totally Ok with the move. Again, low risk with a high reward. 

25 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Why? I agree I would prefer to get him signed long term. But a 4th rd pick in 2019 and you likely get at least that back in 2020 in terms of a comp pick. That seems really really cheap. Especially if he solidifies the back end of the D for a stretch run. 

If he does he gets paid either by us or by someone else giving us a high comp pick. If he does not then he doesn't get paid and it didn't work out. But there are zero guarantees ever. This is really a very low risk high reward move. 

I really like the aggressiveness, Good teams do not just sit pat. If there an opportunity to potentially get better you take it. Sometime's it works out sometimes not. But it will never work out if you never take chances. 

As you can tell, I really like this move. I like the player. I like the position it addresses. I like the message it sends to the locker room and the rest of the league. Unlike many of the moves this team has made over say the last 20 yrs, this one is not just a publicity splash. HHD can play. He is also young and fills a need. I like that they are not afraid to look at making a strength a bigger strength. All this for a 4th rd draft pick next yr. Sign me up. I just do not see a problem even if ends up being a 9 gm rental.

Having said that, I would be very surprised if they did this with no intention of signing him long term. But even if they do not, I am totally Ok with the move. Again, low risk with a high reward. 

Mostly because I think, even with HHCD, this team is still a couple pieces shy of a real run this year. If you go in thinking you can resign, I'm good with it. If not, I think it's a bit of a wasted effort, because this is not a SB caliber team yet. So, you loose him, loose a pick and then you're putting Nicholson out there again, and not 4th rounder next year.

This is no knock on him as a player. He's good, and worth getting a LTD. I'm just not much on 9 game rentals for a playoff run that doesn't have the horses to go that far.

8 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Mostly because I think, even with HHCD, this team is still a couple pieces shy of a real run this year. If you go in thinking you can resign, I'm good with it. If not, I think it's a bit of a wasted effort, because this is not a SB caliber team yet. So, you loose him, loose a pick and then you're putting Nicholson out there again, and not 4th rounder next year.

This is no knock on him as a player. He's good, and worth getting a LTD. I'm just not much on 9 game rentals for a playoff run that doesn't have the horses to go that far.

I’ll disagree for this reason.  I said before the trade that I believe the Skins are one elite defensive player in the secondary away from being a GREAT defense.  I believe that Ha Ha Clinton-Dix is an elite Safety in this league.  If the front 7 is going to continue to do what they’ve proven they can do (Control the LOS & dominate up front/completely stop the run) then having Swearinger, Clinton-Dix, Norman & Dunbar/Moreau in your secondary... that not only is a very stout DL but probably the best secondary in the league and Sky is the limit with this D.  How many times have we seen truly great defenses bully themselves all the way to he SB before?  Anything can happen.

1 minute ago, -JB- said:

I’ll disagree for this reason.  I said before the trade that I believe the Skins are one elite defensive player in the secondary away from being a GREAT defense.  I believe that Ha Ha Clinton-Dix is an elite Safety in this league.  If the front 7 is going to continue to do what they’ve proven they can do (Control the LOS & dominate up front/completely stop the run) then having Swearinger, Clinton-Dix, Norman & Dunbar/Moreau in your secondary... that not only is a very stout DL but probably the best secondary in the league and Sky is the limit with this D.  How many times have we seen truly great defenses bully themselves all the way to he SB before?  Anything can happen.

Well, it doesn't happen all that often, and since the last time it did (with a better D IMO) the league has made it even harder than ever to ride a defense without a lot of help from the offense to a SB. And while the trade might make us a truly elite D, I don't think we have the horses on the offensive side of the ball to keep up with teams like LA and the Pats.

2 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Well, it doesn't happen all that often, and since the last time it did (with a better D IMO) the league has made it even harder than ever to ride a defense without a lot of help from the offense to a SB. And while the trade might make us a truly elite D, I don't think we have the horses on the offensive side of the ball to keep up with teams like LA and the Pats.

I’m not saying we are absolutely a SB team right now.  I’m just saying that anything can happen.  It’s week 9.

2 minutes ago, -JB- said:

I’m not saying we absolutely a SB team right now.  I’m just saying that anything can happen.  It’s week 9.

You are more optimistic than I am. I love what AP is doing, but we're too one dimensional for me to think we're dangerous enough on offense. We'll have to agree to disagree on this, unless Smith gets better. And I'm not sure he's really going to improve much. Just my 2 cents.

15 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

You are more optimistic than I am. I love what AP is doing, but we're too one dimensional for me to think we're dangerous enough on offense. We'll have to agree to disagree on this, unless Smith gets better. And I'm not sure he's really going to improve much. Just my 2 cents.

I think, as a fan, there are appropriate times to be truly optimistic.  I truly believe that this is the time to start believing.

Though I don’t believe we have the best secondary in the league. I do like the way it’s coming together. 

I also don’t agree with @Morneblade and the pessimistic attitude that most have towards our offense. I think you’ll definitely see the offense open up more over time but we’d be fools to mess with this winning remedy.

Are people really forgetting how much we have dominated the Rams up front? We ran all over them without AP. Saints are the only team in the NFC I’m worried about come playoff time.

Archived