Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Safety Clinton Dix to the skins

KillBill26

Just now, wit33 said:

On the surface the move seems great. I’m a Nicholson supporter, hoping he will still have a major role in the defense. I don’t watch film so unsure how well he was playing, just assumed he was doing his part as the Skins have done well not getting beat deep. 

Maybe this impacts Harvey Clemons on 3rd downs. Which I’m all for. 

I kinda like having Harvey Clemons on 3rd and more than 5. Hes the only LB on our squad that can cover a TE or RB out of the back field somewhat competently imo. Next year I think he could see a big increase in snaps.

2 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

one angle i had in mind when i was thinking of getting him was when we do face passing offenses that put up a lot of points it can make some games more winnable to slow them down on that end rather than count on our passing offense to always match them score for score in timely manner (cuz so far, no) and the only other player-addition way to battle that would be paying some hefty price for some hoped-for improvement  over richardson at wr.

this is (should be) just a (surprisingly) good move by the fo. like to know who led the move (i haven't read much yet).

We're getting to a point where a "do you still want Bruce fired?" Thread may be necessary.

34 minutes ago, PortisBetts said:

I love this place when things are going well. Its been way too long since things have really felt like they are truly going in the right direction. 

Yep, it does feel good doesn’t it. It hasn’t been too long though since ES was a happy place right? I feel like prettty much everyone was happy during the 2016 4 game winning streak, then when we won two straight to get from 4-3-1 to 6-3-1 (destroying Green Bay on SNF helped a lot) and when we beat the eagles and bears (not back to back though) that December. And the 4 game winning streak in 2015 the whole board was happy, right? And the 2012 7 game winning streak. 

Doesnt take much to make people here happy ??

7 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

It's coming, think you have to have the convo if we win the division.

Did you not see his Happy Birthday posts on the team’s social media?  1% well wishes, 99 percent death wishes/sarcastic memes/hateful messages.  This coming off a Cowboys victory.  One weak division title can’t change the narrative on his “decorated” career.

9 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Yep, it does feel good doesn’t it. It hasn’t been too long though since ES was a happy place right? I feel like prettty much everyone was happy during the 2016 4 game winning streak, then when we won two straight to get from 4-3-1 to 6-3-1 (destroying Green Bay on SNF helped a lot) and when we beat the eagles and bears (not back to back though) that December. And the 4 game winning streak in 2015 the whole board was happy, right? And the 2012 7 game winning streak. 

Doesnt take much to make people here happy ??

True, but we havent been 5-2 since Zorn. Early success and leading the division this early is something that is rarely seen.

19 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

We're getting to a point where a "do you still want Bruce fired?" Thread may be necessary.

After McCloughan was fired, I put Boob Allen 3rd in on my Hate-o-Meter behind Snyder, Cerrato, and just ahead of Zorn. However, I have to give the FO credit, they are working well these last two years. Keep doing what they're doing.

6 minutes ago, PortisBetts said:

True, but we havent been 5-2 since Zorn. Early success and leading the division this early is something that is rarely seen.

Yeah, and the last time we saw it with Zorn, we saw the end result.

Only with the Redskins can being 5-2 be a bad sign.

12 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Did you not see his Happy Birthday posts on the team’s social media?  1% well wishes, 99 percent death wishes/sarcastic memes/hateful messages.  This coming off a Cowboys victory.  One weak division title can’t change the narrative on his “decorated” career.

Isn't it obvious he doesn't have to answer to the fans at this point, just Snyder?  I did see that, and felt it was ridiculous because its not just a division title were looking at, that defense is set up for multiple runs because of the age of the a lot of the players.

I said I wanted him gone if they didn't make the playoffs, were gonna make the playoffs.  I'm with @Jumbo in wanting to know who pulled the trigger on the Clinton-Dix trade.  Because between that and the Adrian Peterson pickup, those are two extremely shrewed moves in one season, usually we don't get stuff right in back to back seasons. 

If Bruce didnt make the call, he hired the people that did and can stay in his corner drinking coors light for all i care.  This is why I didnt want to just throw Doug Williams out the house because of frustration with Bruce.  At the rate we are going, I trust this franchise more then I have in a long time. Credit where credit is due, can't have your cake and eat it, too.

Wow, super late hearing this news, but I love it.

Just to echo what others have said, Clinton Dix should pair really well with Swearinger as a tandem.  With Nicholson being dinged up and inconsistent and Apke going to IR, we were in desperate need for some safety help and this took a "treading water" situation and turned it into a strength.

In terms of next year, i do think Norman will be gone.  People have been mentioning Stroman as a possible starter alongside Dunbar.  While he might develop into that, I actually think he's still only playing due to necessity.  I'm actually much more excited in the upside of Danny Johnson than Stroman.  Gruden seems to love him, he was making tons of plays in preseason, and has been gutting out the season playing with a broken arm.

I predict him to be the early frontrunner for the number 2 outside corner position next season, then Adonis Alexander and Stroman battling for the next spot down.

20 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Let's wait for that as well as more clarity as to who is the driving force behind these moves. If it's Doug again, it argues for his elevation within the org and a phasing out of Bruce. 

Too early to say, though.

10 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I agree. Due to the Cousins and McCloughan debacles and the underwhelming production during his tenure here, Bruce has branded his face with devil horns in 99% of this fanbase. But something has happened lately, we've drafted very well and have made some great, underrated personnel moves. The proof is in our new-found love for compensatory picks... Wrap your head around the fact that we have four picks coming to us (and should have had more if Grant and Breeland didn't screw us), we let that much talent walk and yet this team is better today than it was last season. 

Many of us, including me, thought we would sit firm at the trade deadline, but instead we went out and made the savviest move of the day. I don't know what's going on, is Doug more involved, is Jay more involved, I don't get it, but it'd be ignorant if we didn't acknowledge that the FO is doing a damn good job... at the moment.

1 minute ago, bird_1972 said:

Let's wait for that as well as more clarity as to who is the driving force behind these moves. If it's Doug again, it argues for his elevation within the org and a phasing out of Bruce. 

Think with all the Front Office additions Bruce is already being phased out or at least sent to focus on what he should of been focusing on in the first place.  Doug is already Senior vice president of player personnel, which anyone can correct me on he's essentially the GM right now already.  The only elevation I'm ready for is making sure he has final say and that Bruce can't override like he did with Scott and Kirk.

32 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

the only other player-addition way to battle that would be paying some hefty price for some hoped-for improvement  over richardson at wr.

I give the FO credit for not over-paying for a WR. One, Smith doesn't throw to them. This will be doubly so for a receiver coming in mid-stream. Second, getting Crowder back will be as good as a trade! (All Nats fans who read that just went into convulsions) 

16 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

As long as the end result is good, does it really matter which scenario is happening ?

Because we can certainly ascertain this : the combination of Doug and Bruce working together seems to be working, regardless of the ratio of responsibility. And if you still do not have confidence in Allen or him being behind the moves, you can pretty much say that he probably isn't detracting from the end result. So why mess with something that's working ? And that's assuming we continue to progress at the rate that we are.

3 hours ago, skinsmarydu said:

Sooo...has anyone addressed Clinton-Dix wears #21? ?

In the 2014 NFL draft, the Green Bay Packers selected safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix with the 21st pick in Round 1. It was very apropos then that the Packers gave the the former Alabama star the No. 21 to wear on his jersey.

Clinton-Dix will have a lot to live up to, especially since the last player to wear that number in Green Bay was Charles Woodson.

In a conference call with the media shortly after he was selected by the Packers, Clinton-Dix gave his thoughts on getting that number via Packers.com:

"I didn't pick it at all. They picked it for me. It's a good number to have. So I'm going to wear it with pride."

HaHa also said Sean Taylor was his idol and inspiration so #21 (even though not chosen by him) was just a blessing for him I would imagine. 

13 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

As long as the end result is good, does it really matter which scenario is happening ?

Because we can certainly ascertain this : the combination of Doug and Bruce working together seems to be working, regardless of the ratio of responsibility. And if you still do not have confidence in Allen or him being behind the moves, you can pretty much say that he probably isn't detracting from the end result. So why mess with something that's working ? And that's assuming we continue to progress at the rate that we are.

Because Bruce has a long track record of ****ing things up. Recent success may speak to the value that others are bringing to the organization but having Bruce remain in the picture exposes us to risk of more Kirk-like decisions being made in the future. 

Again, too early to say on all fronts.

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

We really aren't. Bruce promoted Doug Williams with lots of fanfare and then traded for Alex Smith without telling him--in fact he intentionally kept him in the dark. 

I don't have some special respect for Doug Williams as a personnel guy and in fact hated the original hire and then "promotion" or whatever. 

But that's clearly still a sign of disfunction. Bruce Allen does not run a healthy/properly functioning FO, and that will blow up in our faces longterm even if they're hitting on some good moves now. It's poison and creates a lack of accountability. 

1 minute ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

We really aren't. Bruce promoted Doug Williams with lots of fanfare and then traded for Alex Smith without telling him--in fact he intentionally kept him in the dark. 

I don't have some special respect for Doug Williams as a personnel guy and in fact hated the original hire and then "promotion" or whatever. 

But that's clearly still a sign of disfunction. Bruce Allen does not run a healthy/properly functioning FO, and that will blow up in our faces longterm even if they're hitting on some good moves now. It's poison and creates a lack of accountability. 

What's done is done, as long as Doug has final say going forward, that's what matters to me at this point.  My feeling in Bruce are irrelevant now that we are winning, he's Ernie Grunsfield safe now, learn to love it.

1 minute ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Or maybe because of that bond between Doug and Elway ?

"Remember that time I kicked your ass in front of the entire world?...Good times, good times. Hey, how about giving us  3rd for our retired player who decided he wants to play again? Whaddaya say, ol' buddy buddy, ol' pal?" lol...

Archived