• Blog Entries

    • By Destino in ES Coverage
         1
      We’re still doing this?  Absolutely!  Despite all the compelling reasons to just let everyone go home and enjoy and extended offseason, this is not an option.  The games must be played, and therefore we the long-suffering fans will feel compelled to watch.  Even games no reasonable football fan would choose to watch like, for example, today’s Redskins Jets game.   

      Today’s convergence of sadness features the 30th ranked scoring offense (Jets 14.4 ppg) versus the 32nd (Redskins 12.0 ppg).  The first team to 15 wins!  With no playoff aspirations the compelling story lines for this game are largely limited to watching young players (hopefully) develop.  Dwayne Haskins gets his first home start and Derrius Guice is back from injury.   
       
      My, reasonable, goals for today’s game:  
      1- Score a touchdown 
      2- Score more than 17 points.   
      3- Haskins throws for 200 yards or more with no interceptions  
      4- Guice runs the ball at least 10 times and finishes at 3.5 yards per carry and healthy.  
       
      Hoping for a win at this point feels like setting myself up for disappointment, so I’m happy to settle for an entertaining loss.  
       
      Special thanks to @pez for some excellent Guinness beef stew.  If you absolutely have to stand in a frozen parking lot at 9am, the best place to do it is at the Extremeskins Tailgate with Pez and @Huly.  Great fans, great people. 
       
      The Redskins have declared for the following players as inactive: 
      Paul Richardson  
      Colt McCoy 
      Deshazor Everett 
      Chris Thompson  
      Ross Pierschbacher 
      Vernon Davis  
      Tim Settle  
       
      The Jets declared the following players as inactive  
      Nate Hairston  
      Darryl Roberts  
      Paul Worrilow 
      Matthias Farley  
      CJ Mosley  
      Jordan Willis  
      Leo Koloamatangi 
       
      1st Quarter - Redskins 0 - 6 Jets
      If you wanted to sit in the cold and watch a football game with some Jets fans at FedEx, but were worried that there were not enough seats available, I have good news.  There’s plenty of space available, so come on down and prove you’re a real fan by sitting though this in person.
       
      Jets dominated the 1st quarter even though they only scored 6 points.  The reason being that Washington managed only 13 yards of offense and a single first down.  
       
      Question: Is it still a check down pass if the QB never looks at anyone else?
       
      2nd Quarter - Redskins 3 - 20 Jets
      The Jets have achieved an insurmountable 13 point lead early in the 2nd quarter.  All hope is lost.

      Is there a more perfect example of the Redskins offense than their first scoring drive in the 2nd quarter?  Interception gives the Redskins the ball on the Jets 16 yard line.  They proceed to march 10 yards backwards before kicking a field goal from the Jets 26.  It's perfect.  Two or three more field goals we can call it a day. 

      The Jets score again and if feels like they are are just piling on at this point.  Three touchdowns in the first half for them, just three points for the redskins.  Our streak of no touchdowns has now extended to 15 quarters. 
       
      3rd Quarter - Redskins 3 - 20 Jets
      There is a spider slowly descending from the ceiling in the press box and it's the most interesting thing that's happened during the third quarter of this game. 
       
      I have decided to allow the spider to live, provided it does not touch me.  I'm off to get some more caffeine. 

      4th Quarter - Redskins 17 - 34 Jets
      The first wave of Redskins fans, the few that are here, started streaming towards the exits after that 4th Jets touchdown.  As if the Jets didn't have this game wrapped up in the 2nd quarter. 
       
      Jet have now more than doubled their average points per game and have matched their season high of 34 points (and they missed two field goals in this game). 
       
      TOUCHDOWN REDSKINS!  THE DROUGHT IT OVER!  Guice took a short pass from Haskins  all the way to the house.  2 point conversion is successful on a pass from Haskins to Quinn. 
       
      The Redskins score another touchdown!  This feels like an embarrassment of riches, even if we are still certain to lose this game. 
       
      End of Game.
       
      Let's review those reasonable goals I mentioned earlier:
       
      1- Success.
      2- Close enough, I'm counting it
      3- Haskins did throw for over 200, but unfortunately did have an interception. 
      4- Guice was not given the opportunity to run the ball ten times today.  He did however score on a 45 yard TD pass and finish the game healthy.  I'll take it.
       
      Even though the Redskins lost, it was good to see the offense show some faint signs of life and end the streak of games without a TD.  The team looked competitive for much of the second half, and perhaps they could have made this a fun game if they carried that same energy throughout.  It was good to see Guice and Mclaurin show out today.  I think both of them have a future with this team that I look forward to seeing. 

       
       

       
       
       
       
       
kleese

Official 2018 Flex Scheduling and Playoff Tracker Thread

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, kleese said:

You guys are making this too complicated... it will be “cleaner” after the SNF and MNF games are over, but this is up to the minute:

What about our chances at 7-8-1 or 7-7-2? :)

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The nice thing know is we were left for dead and the team can play the underdog card a bit. Already 10 point underdogs... QB that was counseling at risk youth two weeks ago... it would be a cool story. Vibes should be good this week and I expect them to play hard again next Saturday. Problem of course is Titans are better than Jags and will have a lot more on the line. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kleese said:

The nice thing know is we were left for dead and the team can play the underdog card a bit. Already 10 point underdogs... QB that was counseling at risk youth two weeks ago... it would be a cool story. Vibes should be good this week and I expect them to play hard again next Saturday. Problem of course is Titans are better than Jags and will have a lot more on the line. 

And another dreaded "national television prime time" game 

At least it's a Saturday and not a Monday night 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, c slag said:

And another dreaded "national television prime time" game 

At least it's a Saturday and not a Monday night 

We actually improved to 8-7 and won the division the last time we played a Saturday game (I think?)………….

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

We actually improved to 8-7 and won the division the last time we played a Saturday game (I think?)………….

That is true, 2015 Saturday night in philly. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

this eagles game good or bad for our playoff chances.

 

Always bad, but we're not going to get there anyways. Mathematically yes, but realistically no. Our D really hunkered down today, but we're so decimated on O that our next 2 games are just about impossible to win. I'll have to be rooting for the Vikings now to kick Philly out.

Edited by BleedBNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

this eagles game good or bad for our playoff chances.

Theory is that Rams loss keeps the Bears within striking distance of a bye and thus more likely to play their starters against the Vikings in the season finale if they are still within a game heading into the last week.

 

But Foles is a competent QB and the Eagles have weapons. I absolutely don't like our chances against them in week 17. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eagles win only hurts us if you are holding out hope for us to get in at 8-8. Otherwise it doesn’t matter because we control our destiny against them. 

 

The “good” news is the Bears are alive for a top 2 seed now. If they beat SF next week they will be guaranteed to be alive in that race going into Week 17. And of course the Bears being interested would be beneficial to us if we need Vikings to lose Week 17. 

 

Here is one thing we know.., we can’t be eliminated from playoffs even if we lose at Titans... at least not that day. We could be eliminated the next day if we lose and the Eagles or Vikings win. 

 

If we win we are guarnteed to be alive going into Week 17 regardless of what happens Sunday. 

Edited by kleese
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, kleese said:

If we win we are guarnteed to be alive going into Week 17 regardless of what happens Sunday. 

 

And, by my count, that would be 3 times in the past 4 years that we'd enter week 17 alive or in the playoffs. Also, less impressive but still a thing, for the 4th straight season we will enter week 17 with a shot to finish .500 (we did it in 2015, 2016, and missed it last year).

 

Again, nothing too impressive for most teams, but it would signal a step in the right direction for this organization. 

 

Also, I think beating the Titans is an extreme long-shot...haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So Assuming the Redskins win next week and so do the Eagles and the Viking loose, how crazy is the final home game going to be......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Howie411 said:

So Assuming the Redskins win next week and so do the Eagles and the Viking loose, how crazy is the final home game going to be......

Well....seeing as how almost everyone wants jay and Bruce gone, and with how empty FedEx has been, i doubt even a week 17 win and in game Vs the eagles will get fans to the stadium. But who knows, maybe I’m wrong...🤷🏻‍♂️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good news is that as long as the Chief beat the Seahawks (Which will probably happen) there is no way we can be eliminated this week, even with a loss.  But of course that is not the best plan.

No chance to get in if we lose to eagles.  

 

Here is my Bad news.  I can see a situation where Kirk Cousins is playing a home game against a division opponent where the opponent has nothing to play for and KC's team goes to the playoffs with a win.

Basically a repeat of 2016, and a chance for KC to redeem himself, and cost the skins another playoff appearance.  

Edited by TMK9973

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

@TMK9973 chiefs play the Seahawks. Different bird :P 

Right. I have no clue why I said Falcons!  Not enough coffee?  :)

If Chiefs beat Seahawks, we cant be eliminated this week.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, TMK9973 said:

Right. I have no clue why I said Falcons!  Not enough coffee?  :)

If Chiefs beat Seahawks, we cant be eliminated this week.  

 

Not true. 

 

If we lose and the Vikings win, we are out. If we lose and the Eagles win, we are out. We can't be eliminated SATURDAY with a loss, but could be gone the next day. 

 

If we lose Saturday it takes the scenarios with the Cowboys and Seahawks off the table. We lose a tie-breaker to both, so if we lose to Titans we can't catch Dallas or Seattle even if they go 0-2. 

 

Our only hope to stay alive with a loss in Tennessee is for the Eagles to lose to Texans and Vikings to lose to Lions. 

 

If we beat the Titans then there is no way we can be eliminated prior to week 17. The WORST case in that situation would be the Vikings, Cowboys and Seahawks all win boiling it down to just the Vikings for us. In that case we'd need to beat the Eagles and we'd need Chicago to beat Minnesota week 17. The good news there is that if the Bears beat the Niners this week it guarantees they will be alive for a bye in playoffs heading into Week 17. 

 

By far the most FUN scenario would be Redskins and Eagles both win this week. Vikings lose.... that would set up as a "win and in" game for Redskins and Eagles. And if Dallas happened to lose to Tampa, the door would still be open for the East. 

 

Let's just say this.... if we win on Saturday, it's gonna set up one really fun Sunday the next day. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kleese said:

 

Not true. 

 

If we lose and the Vikings win, we are out. If we lose and the Eagles win, we are out. We can't be eliminated SATURDAY with a loss, but could be gone the next day. 

 

If we lose Saturday it takes the scenarios with the Cowboys and Seahawks off the table. We lose a tie-breaker to both, so if we lose to Titans we can't catch Dallas or Seattle even if they go 0-2. 

 

Our only hope to stay alive with a loss in Tennessee is for the Eagles to lose to Texans and Vikings to lose to Lions. 

 

If we beat the Titans then there is no way we can be eliminated prior to week 17. The WORST case in that situation would be the Vikings, Cowboys and Seahawks all win boiling it down to just the Vikings for us. In that case we'd need to beat the Eagles and we'd need Chicago to beat Minnesota week 17. The good news there is that if the Bears beat the Niners this week it guarantees they will be alive for a bye in playoffs heading into Week 17. 

 

By far the most FUN scenario would be Redskins and Eagles both win this week. Vikings lose.... that would set up as a "win and in" game for Redskins and Eagles. And if Dallas happened to lose to Tampa, the door would still be open for the East. 

 

Let's just say this.... if we win on Saturday, it's gonna set up one really fun Sunday the next day. 

This isn't true.  

If Seattle loses out they are 8-8, and we have the tie breaker over them if we beat eagles.  EVEN if vikes win.  Ive tried this on numerus playoff generator.  We don't lose the tie breaker to Seattle.  

Reason - we would both be 8-8.

We both would be 7-5 in conference

next one is "Strength of victory" . Basically -- number of wins the teams we beat have.  If we lose sat and then beat the eagles - and EVERY TEAM we beat loses - our strength of victory is 44 (Really 45 because if this were to happen, we are saying cards beat Seahawks last game).  

 

If the seahawks lose next two, finish 8-8, and every team they beat WINS the next 2 - their strength of victory is 42

Edited by TMK9973

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, TMK9973 said:

This isn't true.  

If Seattle loses out they are 8-8, and we have the tie breaker over them if we beat eagles.  EVEN if vikes win.  Ive tried this on numerus playoff generator.  We don't lose the tie breaker to Seattle.  

Reason - we would both be 8-8.

We both would be 7-5 in conference

next one is "Strength of victory" . Basically -- number of wins the teams we beat have.  If we lose sat and then beat the eagles - and EVERY TEAM we beat loses - our strength of victory is 44 (Really 45 because if this were to happen, we are saying cards beat Seahawks last game).  

 

If the seahawks lose next two, finish 8-8, and every team they beat WINS the next 2 - their strength of victory is 42

 

https://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures

 

Check this link, I think you are skipping a tie-breaker on the list. it goes head to head, then conference, then common games BEFORE strength of victory. 

 

But that said, I still think you are right... because our common games record I believe would also be identical if Seattle went 0-2. I think everything I was looking at was based on losing the tie-breaker at 9-7. 

 

So, we could still be alive if we lose to Tennessee and two of the three between Seattle, Philly, and Minnesota also lose. If we lose and two (or more) of them win, we will be eliminated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, kleese said:

 

https://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures

 

Check this link, I think you are skipping a tie-breaker on the list. it goes head to head, then conference, then common games BEFORE strength of victory. 

 

But that said, I still think you are right... because our common games record I believe would also be identical if Seattle went 0-2. I think everything I was looking at was based on losing the tie-breaker at 9-7. 

 

So, we could still be alive if we lose to Tennessee and two of the three between Seattle, Philly, and Minnesota also lose. If we lose and two (or more) of them win, we will be eliminated.

I did skip the common games -you are right. But only because it would be identical.  And again -Im telling you - I am 100% sure.  As long as Seattle OR min lose (not even both - just 1) we will still be alive.  Philly is irrelevant because we play them at the end and would have to win to have any chance and we already have a better NFC record then them.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Skins defense matches up great with Titans and Eagles. 

 

Every defense matches up well the Skins offense though lol

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, wit33 said:

The Skins defense matches up great with Titans and Eagles. 

 

Do you really think this? 

 

I feel like the Titans might just run through our strip attempts and arm tackles...Henry has been a beast. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow you guys are digging into the rule book? I just spend about 50 minutes on the playoff generator machine trying to figure out the most redskins way to get to the playoffs...

Just now, TD_washingtonredskins said:

 

Do you really think this? 

 

I feel like the Titans might just run through our strip attempts and arm tackles...Henry has been a beast. 

 

The jaguars RB was supposed to do the same thing to us but, crickets...

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

4 hours ago, TMK9973 said:

I did skip the common games -you are right. But only because it would be identical.  And again -Im telling you - I am 100% sure.  As long as Seattle OR min lose (not even both - just 1) we will still be alive.  Philly is irrelevant because we play them at the end and would have to win to have any chance and we already have a better NFC record then them.

 

 

You are basically saying we win an 8-8 tie-breaker with Philly. That’s not how I’m understanding it. 

 

If we lose this week and Philly wins that means we enter week 17 7-8 and they are 8-7. Even if we beat them they win the tie-breaker unless I’m misunderstanding something. 

3 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

 

Do you really think this? 

 

I feel like the Titans might just run through our strip attempts and arm tackles...Henry has been a beast. 

 

My take on this is that our D has done far better with bigger, slower, more one-dimensional type offenses and have really struggled when teams throw multiple, faster weapons at them. Atlanta and NOLA both killed us by being able to spread the field and spread the ball to multiple guys, almost all of whom were speedy. Tampa even did a lot of that moving the ball up and down the field. Our D has been better it seems when they can hone in on one main weapon or approach. 

 

The plan this week should be simple.. sell out to stop Henry, press their WRs and if we get beat by a vertical passing game, so be it. 

Edited by kleese
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, kleese said:

 

 

 

You are basically saying we win an 8-8 tie-breaker with Philly. That’s not how I’m understanding it. 

 

If we lose this week and Philly wins that means we enter week 17 7-8 and they are 8-7. Even if we beat them they win the tie-breaker unless I’m misunderstanding something. 

We’d have split with them in head to head, if we beat them week 17. Next tiebreaker is conference record where we’d be 7-5, and they’d be 5-7, so we’d win the tiebreaker if we both finish 8-8 (as far as i know....anyone wanna correct me?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.