Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2018 Flex Scheduling and Playoff Tracker Thread

kleese

Two things:

1. I love making random, arbitrary threads “official.”

2. Starting this type of thread probably deserves banishment for jinx purposes so I understand if I get locked out for this. But let me make clear this is only to discuss POSSIBILITIES. Not making any predictions or counting any chickens. 

Every year people get confused in this thread. We can literally lose our next four games and the thread would still be relevant. Again, this thread only exists to discuss and outline the mathematical probabilities and possibilities. So even if at some point we begin to perform like a total pretender, the thread lives until the math says it dies. 

Including FLEX scheduling news in here as well in case any of that crops up (more on that in a minute). 

First let’s talk playoffs: 

—It is way too early to truly dissect the landscape or even know who to really root for or against, but one thing this year does appear to be taking shape— the NFC playoff race might be “softer” this year. Last year, 9-7 wouldn’t cut it; this year I’m predicting at least one 9-7 team makes it in as a wild card (and maybe one as a division winner too). You have to look at the potential 2nd and 3rd Place teams in each division to figure that out. I will be VERY surprised if the second place team in the East or West wins 10 games. I do think the south second place team could finish with 10; I think the North also looks shaky, meaning this year things are primed for a 9-7 wild card. So while the division should 100% be our goal right now, I’d say as long as 9-7 is still within reach your team will be very much alive in the NFC this year. 

—No brainer obviously to root against the East teams. If you are already counting the Giants out then they become potentially helpful both against the Eagles and Boys and any other potential NFC contenders. Beyond that just always root for AFC teams to beat NFC teams and for bottom teams like the Cardinals and 49ers to pull as many upsets as possible. As the season goes along, it will become more clear who the real enemies and threats might be. 

—Right now, the Redskins are in very good position with an early two game lead in loss column. Consider this: even if we lose to both the Giants and Falcons the next two weeks we are GUARANTEED at least to still be in a tie for first place. The Eagles and Cowboys are both 3-4 and both have BYE weeks in the next two weeks... meaning even if we go 0-2 and they both go 1-0, we would find ourselves in a three way tie at the “top” all at 4-4. While the goal should be to maintain or widen the lead, the truth is we have margin for error. 

Flex Scheduling:

—Reminder for those that don’t know...league must decide 12 days in advance on schedule changes with the exception of week 17.... Thursday and Monday games cannot be moved.

—Our week 16 game vs Titans is one of 4 designated as a possible Saturday game that week. It’s our game, Giants/Colts, Ravens/Chargers, and Dolphins/Jaguars. Two of those games will be Sat and two will be Sunday. It won’t necessarily be the two best games as it’s possible the NFL could “save” one for a better spot on the Sunday schedule. The league will decide this by week 8 or 9 I believe. 

—Week 17 is a total crapshoot. The league just waits until after week 16 to place games appropriately for week 17. No doubt if Eagles-Redskins means a lot it would be a potential SNF game or 4:25 start. If it means little to nothing it is likely noon. Nothing will be decided on that until after week 16 though. 

—For the other weeks, there really aren’t many possibilities. There are two weeks that are shaping up as potential big flex weeks for the league, but those are the two weeks we play on Thanksgiving and the following Monday at Philly— and those can’t move. 

—Our game with the Texans could be fairly attractive but that game is on CBS and it’s a FOX double header day and the Sunday Night game is good... so there really isn’t anywhere for it to go. I see a slim chance of that one moving. Always possible our game with the Bucs could move time, but also highly unlikely— and if it did it would be to just do some network shuffling, not necessarily to get it into a more prime spot. 

—In summary, I don’t think there is much to discuss in terms of Redskins and flex scheduling beyond the obvious in weeks 16 and 17. The Texans game is the only other one that even has a slim chance in my mind. 

I'm at the point where, other than the weeks where we play them, I don't care what the other teams in our division do.

I'm so past the "oooh, lets try to eke in at 9-7 mindset." Its time to go for the gold and that 11-win mark that has eluded the Redskins since 19-friggin-91. That will take 7-3 the rest of the way and will be a tall order, but I'm now hopeful of it as a decent possibility. 

10 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

I prefer our games stay in the 1:00 time frame.

SNF is my favorite slot, followed by 4:25. Those are the big boy slots. More fun, usually bigger stakes. Also guarantees a more enjoyable day when they can’t ruin it early. 

Thanks! Always enjoy this thread popping up around this time :) 

the decision on our game Vs the titans is supposed to be made on the 29th, so after our upcoming game against the giants. I’m trying to head to Nashville for that game cause my brother lives there and it would be much easier to do that if the game is Saturday instead of Sunday (due to holiday traveling stuff). REALLY hoping we have the Saturday game. 

1 minute ago, hail2skins said:

I'm at the point where, other than the weeks where we play them, I don't care what the other teams in our division do.

I'm so past the "oooh, lets try to eke in at 9-7 mindset." Its time to go for the gold and that 11-win mark that has eluded the Redskins since 19-friggin-91. That will take 7-3 the rest of the way and will be a tall order, but I'm now hopeful of it as a decent possibility. 

I don’t think this is the year for that... I do think 10-6 is fairly realistic though. I’m torn right now on if I think they will finish 9-7 or 10-6. 

6 minutes ago, kleese said:

SNF is my favorite slot, followed by 4:25. Those are the big boy slots. More fun, usually bigger stakes. Also guarantees a more enjoyable day when they can’t ruin it early. 

Ughh with the typical outcome of us not winning?..that's jus crazy haha

27 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

10-6 is acceptable...….9-7 is for pansies ?

For me, the bigger thing would be winning that game. We haven’t advanced in the playoffs since 2005. In 2007, 2012, and 2015 we were one and done, the most recent two coming at home as division winners. So if we were to win the division afain, regardless if it was 9-7 or 10-6 the more important thing to me would be advancing to the divisional round. 

I’ll put it this way, I see two possibilities for me to call this a CLEARLY successful season and everyone comes back no doubt next year:

1. We win 11+ games. Even if we lost in first round I’d consider this a significant development and something to build on. 

2. We advance to divisional round— regardless of what record we achieved to make playoffs. 

59 minutes ago, kleese said:

Just don't flex any home games to SNF. For those of us who go to games, that's brutal.

12 hours ago, kleese said:

Of the 4 remaining home games the only one you need to be concerned with is week 17. 

18 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

True.

I should have looked at the schedule a little more carefully before I posted that.

SNF would work on the 30th, because we're off that Monday.

I'm not off that Monday, I hope to be taking that day off.   :) 

If SNF week 17 flex comes to be, then the atmosphere for that one could be comparable to the 2012 SNF game with Dallas....just hope they REALLY staff up the police.

29 minutes ago, MarkB452 said:

I'm not off that Monday, I hope to be taking that day off.   :) 

If SNF week 17 flex comes to be, then the atmosphere for that one could be comparable to the 2012 SNF game with Dallas....just hope they REALLY staff up the police.

You don’t get New Year’s Eve off of work? Da **** kinda job do you have??

yeah that would be an intense game if it were to be the SNF game. FedEx would be deafening i bet 

The week we play Houston the SNF game is Steelers @ Jags. That game looks shaky to me even with the Steelers who are always a draw. But the decision has to be made after the games played the weekend of Nov. 4th. The Jags play Eagles in London this week and then have a bye. IF the Jags lose to Philly I think there is a slim chance that game gets flexed out of SNF and Texans-Redskins would likely get consideration. Again, I think this is all a long shot, but something to note. 

1 hour ago, Kilmer17 said:

RE playoff futures, we should all be rooting for NO to beat everyone.  9-7 might be enough to win the east, but might no be enough to win a WC spot without a a collection of wins and other team losses.

STRONGLY disagree with this.... we are in the 3-slot right now, and the only realistic chance to get to #2 (and the first round bye) is to pass NO.  They already have the tiebreak on us, so every loss they get moving forward will help the Skins...

17 hours ago, kleese said:

The week we play Houston the SNF game is Steelers @ Jags. That game looks shaky to me even with the Steelers who are always a draw. But the decision has to be made after the games played the weekend of Nov. 4th. The Jags play Eagles in London this week and then have a bye. IF the Jags lose to Philly I think there is a slim chance that game gets flexed out of SNF and Texans-Redskins would likely get consideration. Again, I think this is all a long shot, but something to note. 

I hope not I have tickets to the game and was going to take my daughter but she would have school on Monday 

20 minutes ago, c slag said:

I hope not I have tickets to the game and was going to take my daughter but she would have school on Monday 

Yeah I’m sure the league will take that into affect :D it’s one home night game, if we still have a good record by then, you can definitely afford to let your daughter go to a night game on a school night :P 

just messin with ya though, i didn’t go to most night games on a school night back when i had tickets. Hoping for your sake it stays a 1 pm start :) 

3 hours ago, c slag said:

It’s unlikely because the league needs to make the decision by a week from Tuesday. Even if the Jags lose they’d be 3-5 at decision time and the Steelers are one of the most popular/watched teams in the league. I doubt that is enough to get that game bumped. And even if it is bumped there is certainly no guarantee our game would replace it. 

Archived